Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2017

The first time it happened, the launch malfunctioned and launched it at a lower speed. I don't think they've released why it happened this time, but I'd assume it's a similar situation.
    They should put some kind of helper LSM's or advance tires in that area of the track to help the train out. It seems like this happens alot to this coaster or somehow add a evac platform lol
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan

Why does the park launch it under the intended 60 MPH speed?
    • CommentAuthorJAKool

I just said it was a malfunction with the launch.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTyrush

That tire on top of the loop is honestly hilarious
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2017 edited

Irvine Ondrey Engineering worked on Mystic Timber, and shared their story:

Posted By: Irvine Ondrey EngineeringToday was the day we’ve all been waiting for! Mystic Timbers began to rumble to life and a group of lucky folks got to preview it in the cool of a (very!) early April morning. Although Brian and I were scheduled to attend, as happens sometimes in our line of work Brian was needed elsewhere and we unfortunately were only able to hear about the event from afar. I was up for the start of the event, scouring the net for comments, videos, and stories to share with the team so we could feel as much a part of it as possible. As the positive reports started rolling in, I had a huge sense of relief- I won’t lie, I stress about whether the public will love a ride that I had gone crazy for myself! I end up wishing I could put people in my head and experience it as I did.

Edit: And the credit roll continues with this insightful comment by a certain coasternerd, on this article about the involvement of Skyline Attractions into the creation of Mystic Timber:

Posted By: coasternerdAs stated at the press conference at Kings Island yesterday, Adam House, Senior Design Engineer with GCI, created the initial layout and design of Mystic Timbers. Adam Yerdon, Anya Lehrner & Jase Swinden (Design Engineers at Great Coasters International) also assisted with this ride. Mr. Pike was contracted by Great Coasters International to assist with the centerline of Mr. House's design. It is important to give credit where credit is due, including but not limited to the many carpenters, construction workers, mechanics, field supervisors, all the great people at Kings Island... it takes a team to create a success like Mystic Timbers!
    •  
      CommentAuthorTijjer
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2017 edited

After riding Mystic Timbers I found that I loved the shed. Sure its not mindblowing but I found it to be a fun and interesting way to keep you entertained with hidden details that may require re-rides to catch, its certainly better then being on a block with nothing to do. My hope is that Don and KI keep adding more stuff into the shed to continue making it better and with that I think it would be great if they asked what people would like to see more or changed. I'm also a bit confused as to how it was over-hyped by the park?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2017

^It was overhyped by the park because it was literally the basis of their marketing scheme from the second the animation came out, up to any and every teaser video from there on out. The countless "WHATS IN THE SHED?!?!?" posts made it seem like it was going to be something out of this world.

That aside I really do like what's in the shed from what I can see, it's a nice feature. But I do agree with others that it was definitely overhyped.
    ^^Not sure who that coasternerd guy is, but I can rest assure you that Jeff Pike was just as responsible for the design of Mystic Timbers as he has been for pretty much every GCI coaster.. lol. Deciding general layout vs actually doing out the center-line math and geometry are two very different things.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

SFNE released a teaser of a test run for The Joker at SFNE...

... AND HOLY SH*T DOES IT SPIN.
    Side by Side of the old and new gale force POV's

Looks like its a lot slower now, and some trims were added too to keep it that way
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

That thing still looks like a death machine, I love it.
    • CommentAuthorDanKruga
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2017

In reguards to Joker at SFNE, if I remember correctly the other versions of this ride had the same situation on first tests, they then calm down the spinning some how prior to human riders
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2017 edited

Posted By: Kyle Sloane^^Not sure who that coasternerd guy is, but I can rest assure you that Jeff Pike was just as responsible for the design of Mystic Timbers as he has been for pretty much every GCI coaster.. lol. Deciding general layout vs actually doing out the center-line math and geometry are two very different things.

LOL, well, ok then.

I was about to ask what "centerline" was refering to. So it's the precise math engineering, versus the global idea of a layout?

Also, I'm really glad that there are women engineers working at GCI! That's a question I asked myself, do women ever designed coasters? We know a lot of dude's names, from LaMarcus to Schilke, but never a woman... So props to Anya Lehrner and the other girls!

Yeah Anya's a cool girl. I met her at a conference type event at GCII before she started working there. Also met another girl who's now working as an engineer for Gravity Group.
    •  
      CommentAuthorskyasaurus

Centerline in that context is referring to the geometry that guides the centerline spline a.k.a. the main structural geometry of the track. So the engineering part, verses the layout design part.
    • CommentAuthorTheBeatles

EDIT: Apparently this was for Star Wars Galactic Night(s), a one-night event at Hollywood Studios

The latest stupid and unnecessary overlay from Disney has arrived!

Rock 'N Roller Coaster is now Star Wars "themed" . The geniuses at WDI have taken the much-loved Rock 'N Roller Coaster: Starring Aerosmith and changed the on-board audio and shut off the all lights. Instead of theming AND great music, you can now jam to your favorite iconic tunes from the Star Wars universe!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQEX81h3n0U
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery

WHY IS DISNEY RUINING ALL THESE GOOD RIDES I DON'T UNDERSTAND?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

What an amazing idea, it's like something six flags would do LOL.

"First ever for fright fest, ride our indoor coaster WITH ALL THE LIGHTS OFF MUAHAHAHA"
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

It's not the first time they are doing that. Joseph, chill out, you forgot to take your pills!
    • CommentAuthorTheBeatles

Posted By: KingRCT3It's not the first time they are doing that

That's the issue.

However, I also made the edit above saying that I learned it was only for one night, which is a bit better, but I really can't wait for the Star Wars lands to open. These Star Wars tie-ins for the sake of tie-ins are getting really annoying
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2017 edited

I was surprised you were surprised, as they did that last year already. I think it's lazy and dumb, but at least it's one night...

... unlike this ugly train:

Design a Space Mountain train with Mickey

First, you want an elegant shape that is reminiscent of rockets and spaceships. A bulky square shape will do!
    Don't bother making the bottom part of the train, but make it inconspicuous. Take a ruler and draw a hard black line!
    Add original details in relation to your theme, but don't be cliché. Steampunk? Gears!
    Make sure details have a purpose. The purpose of being here is fine enough!
    Don't overdo it. Add only a TON of random details! Use copy and paste for faster results, and be sure that no details have a relation with each other!
    Last thing, you're going to pick a random IP and slap it on it! See, it's easy! It doesn't match the theme? Who care's! Haha!
    •  
      CommentAuthordapalm
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2017

I don't think the trains are that bad... They are kinda pretty. The problem is they don't fit at all with Discoveryland (and surprisingly not even with Star Wars). Anyway, I'm good with them as long as they provide a better ride (which shouldn't be very difficult, as SPM2 was really rough last time I rode it.
    •  
      CommentAuthortpainrad
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2017

I don't think we've seen an angle of these new trains from any other perspective, but I like them. Im about it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2017 edited

Hydrus sign:

Aussie Mack Hyper:

Happy Valley Chengdu new GCI:

•  
      CommentAuthornolimiters
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2017

Damnnnn that layout!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26

The supports on that thing are gooorgeous.

^^^ now why can't the UK build them like that! I know, because of stupid height regulations around the parks!

Mind you, without them we wouldn't have Nemesis - let's hope Alton's new one is just as pleasing to the eye!
    •  
      CommentAuthorskyasaurus

it looks like a dream
    Lagoon needs a GCI Woodie! They are so great looking!
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2017

•  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

^Holy crap, I hope it stays that crazy when it opens, it looks SO FUN.
    • CommentAuthorDelay

^^"Remote birthday present" for me. Unfortunately, I live very, VERY far away from there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorskyasaurus

"Just looking at Joker makes me feel sick"
    Nausea rating 8.79 (Very High)
    • CommentAuthorI305
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2017 edited

Zumanjaro Drop of Doom will be getting VR at Six Flags Great Adventure:

Drop of Doom VR Coming to Six Flags Great Adventure
    As long as the drop animation and the drop are timed up, this should be good. Acrophobia's drop was timed about a second late and lasted like 2 seconds too long, so that might work nice on this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

Posted By: CoasterMac305Acrophobia's drop was timed about a second late and lasted like 2 seconds too long

Wait what? Unsynced VR is just the worst thing ever... Are their coasters synced or not then?
    Yeah for whatever reason when Acrophobia dropped, the VR animation "dropped" about a second too late, and the animation free fall lasts about 2 seconds longer than the free fall of the ride itself. Can't speak for all of SF's VR coasters, but Mind Eraser at SFA was synced. We did the Drop of Doom VR twice to see if it would be better timed the second time around, but it was one second late again.
    •  
      CommentAuthortpainrad
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2017

Posted By: Mrcrolly^Holy crap, I hope it stays that crazy when it opens, it looks SO FUN.

It won't. Those are empty trains. Put 300+ lbs of human on there and it won't be as insane.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

Mystic Timber POV including the shed.

I like the big tree, he looks like a fun guy, and how they added a "3D effect" with his left hand going over the side window. It's a nice touch.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTijjer

Finally! I was hoping someone had filmed the video of the tree! I really hope I get that ending so far I've had bats 2 times and the snake.
    Sol Spin opened to the public Saturday, only to break down and stay down for the entirety of the day. I plan to post pictures later.
    • CommentAuthorStevenX
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2017

I actually kind of like the look of the shed in Mystic Timbers. It doesn't really live up to the hype, but it looks nicely done and is a nice alternative to what would otherwise be a boring brake run - although it would obviously work better as a mid-track element, kind of like the backwards launch on Firechaser Express. Actually, the whole ride reminds me a little of that, in that they both build a fun story through some fairly light theming (e.g. the "don't go in the shed" announcements on the lift hill, which adds some interest to the lift).

So, for what it is, I like it and think it's a good effort. I think they should have maybe added blackout doors/curtains to the entrance/exit as the screens seem overly bright right now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

I fear you can hear what happens in here from the station, and that would kill the surprise..

Also, IOE tells us the variable speed on the lift isn't there for block reasons, but for a storyline reason.
    • CommentAuthorStevenX

Yeah, it does seem that'd be the case. Again, light/sound curtains would help a little with that.

I noticed the variable lift speed and thought it was for story reasons, to coincide with the shed announcements. I quite like that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorskyasaurus

yeah it really is too bad there isn't some little trick after the shed, very similar to how there isn't a little finale drop & helix after the last lift on Adventure Express. but oh well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTijjer

^^^Out of my three rides I haven't been able to hear the shed just the station spiel telling you to jump start the truck in the lumber mill as the train enters and the sound of the truck starting when the train exits the station.
    They hyped that shed up way too much. Not quite as badly as Merlin hyped up TH13TEEN, but still.

That aside, the coaster itself looks bloody fantastic.

I didn't really have any hopes or expectations at all so I think its kinda nice. Its not very well done but I think it does improve the ride.

•  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2017

Australian Stengel dive incoming!