Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2017 edited

^^^ Okay so because it's temporary (althought nobody knows, and it can be temporary for two years...) it can be crap? :/

-

On a more positive note, here are a few videos of Pandora. Spoiler alert, of course.
    Walk around the land by day
    Na'vi River Journey POV
    Flight of Passage queue and preshows

This is quite amazing! Lots of details and creative ideas. In the river journey, I like the creatures we can see throught the leafs on top of us. Clever. And that first Na'vi figure that follows our boat with his head (*cough concave face *cough*), that's nice, even if the overall figure looks a bit static.
    And what about the animatronic at the end... Excellent! Althought it's definitely not the one we saw in the teaser months ago. Guess it was CGI back then... Oh well. I wanted to believe, but its subtle movements were more like film animatronics than park animatronics. Too good to be true.

The Flight Of Passage queue is really a walk-through on its own. I like the animatronic and the ferrofluid "creatures"! Then the preshows are cool, but those will be become painfully boring after a while. But well, you gotta have to wait anyway.

The downside I see, is that the rides aren't super-duper exciting in themselves, as I don't feel the need to to go there right away. I feel like watching videos is enough for now. The boat ride lacks a true story (we knew it, but still), and maybe Flight Of Passage is awesome, but in hindsight it's a Flying Theater.
    The land lacks an attraction on which you can't be satisfied by watching videos, but you have to experience it live. Same, no streetmosphere unlike in the future Star Wars Land. That's what I feel at least. But man, overall it's really pretty.
    • CommentAuthorDelay
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2017

^It's amazing that they even use optical illusions.
    I can't watch it myself... Youtube just buffers infinitely.
    Two words: Vekoma MK1212
    • CommentAuthorStevenX

^^^ I agree with most of what you said about Pandora.

Some of the details are incredible, and the bioluminescence and animatronics are great, but it just doesn't seem particularly compelling - probably due to the source material. Although all the theming is great, it also looks a little plasticky and "moulded", as Disney scenery quite often does. It's difficult to describe this, but sometimes their rockwork etc. just looks a little lumpy and plasticky. The floating cliffs/rocks also don't seem to be particularly convincing - although it was kind of obvious they weren't going to be able to have them really match the artwork.

The river journey ride looks OK, but it's kind of a lot of fibre-optic overload. With no real excitement, I'm not sure it's gong to very re-rideable.

The Flight of Passage queue looks pretty great, and that animatronic suspended in water is amazing. I know we haven't seen the ride itself yet, but honestly it's just going to be another flying theatre I think. It might be a little more interesting than Soarin', but I find Soarin' (and all other versions of a flying theatre I've been on worldwide) incredibly dull. To me, they have zero re-rideability, and they're becoming increasingly popular worldwide at this stage so the choice of one as the headline attraction at Pandora has always confused me. Having said that, the general public seem to really enjoy them for some reason, and Soarin' always has long lines, so maybe they will be on to a winner with the public with this one.

Next time I go to Orlando I might go check it out but don't think I'd spend a ton of time there. I don't think this, on its own, is enough to win those people who spend all their time at Universal/SeaWorld/Busch back for even a day for more than maybe the next summer or two. I've still not been to Florida since Diagon Alley opened; although I don't really like Harry Potter much, I'd be much more keen to give Gringott's a spin (and then spend a couple days at Universal/Islands of Adventure) than to go to Animal Kingdom, particularly if I had limited time.

Well this is essentially doubling the amount of attractions at Animal Kingdom, so it'll definitely keep people at the park longer.

•  
      CommentAuthortpainrad

In the River Journey...are those characters...auto-erotica?
    • CommentAuthorStevenX

Posted By: CoasterGuy2000

Well this is essentially doubling the amount of attractions at Animal Kingdom, so it'll definitely keep people at the park longer.

Haha, I didn't want to say that, but it's true. Animal Kingdom has never really been a full-day park in my view, and I'm not sure Pandora is the panacea to that problem. Having said that, last time I went to Animal Kingdom I did really enjoy it. My partner and I wandered around looking at the animals, riding Everest and drinking beer in the sun and it was quite a nice, relaxing day.

When I was writing my above post, I was thinking about how all of this is a bit too little, too late. There's been such a long period of dis-investment in the Disney Parks, or at least investment which hasn't really improved the experience and provided genuinely interesting and exciting new attractions for guests that it now feels to me all the parks are quite stale, particularly in comparison to Universal which has consistently and rapidly delivered excellent attractions (maybe not Race Through New York, but at least it's something, I guess) over the past few years.
    Animal Kingdom is a full day park, you're just doing it wrong. Animal Kingdom isn't just about X amount of attractions, it's about exploring the place as a whole. About walking the jungle treks and taking the time out to see the animals and to "slow down". For this very reason it's my favourite Disney park in Florida. Avatar land will only look better as it grows in, and unlike Universal's attempts, it will be far more immersive (no show buildings/other rides visible from the land). And even though James Cameron keeps fudging up the sequel release dates, Pandora will get the limelight each time a sequel comes out (when they eventually do lol).

Avatar land is the first in a huge barage of assaults against Universal. Next up will be Toy Story Land (and who doesn't like Toy Story??) then you have the true HP contender, Star Wars land. Not to mention all the rumours about what is happening to MK and Epcot (Tron coaster, Future World refurb, GotG coaster etc). All the while Disney have also been adding behind the scene investments, such as the magicbands and fastpass plus. It's taken them longer, but in the long run it'll pay off I believe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

^Hey now, you can't just simply say "You're doing x wrong", everyone goes to parks for different reasons. Not everyone goes just to gawk at the scenery. While I do really enjoy the atmosphere, I simply don't find fun in looking at animals for 20 minutes on end, and very much prefer going back to the prehistoric period and seeing dinos.

Onto the actual argument here. I REALLY love how the Pandora area came out. It just looks simply phenomenal. I never really noticed how 'big' and towering the area is until I've seen the pictures including all the back rockwork (closing in the flying theater?). Navi's is definitively something for families, and was very evident in the beginning that it wouldn't be anything more than a pretty sights type of ride, and I'm fine with that. The animatronics are just outstanding and I was really blown away by the fluidity of them in general. Same goes for the suspended body in the queue of the flight of (insert name here I forgot).

Really happy with this addition by Disney, I just can't wait to see how it is at night.
    • CommentAuthorStevenX
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2017 edited

^^ As I said in my first post (if you read on after "full-day park"), I have spent full days there and had a really good time. The fact is though, a lot of visitors perceived Animal Kingdom as a half-day park when it opened and it's not made huge strides in changing that perception since it opened. Having been to Orlando maybe 25 or 30 times, I don't really spend much time at any of the Disney parks any more, partially due to the lack of investment. If I were to spend a day at one of them, Animal Kingdom might well be my top choice given what I wrote above about enjoying my time there the last few times I've been. I do think it's something of an acquired taste though, and most regular tourists won't necessarily appreciate it and rush round it, leading them to still consider it a half-day park.

You have a point about the immersion at Universal, however the Harry Potter lands really don't suffer at all from this; quite the opposite actually. I mean, surely this is what Disney is trying to replicate with Pandora!? Elsewhere, mainly at the Studios as opposed to Islands, this is a valid criticism but honestly, I don't think most people care. It drives me crazy at times (particularly at Universal Studios Japan - there are "hot set" signs plastered everywhere instead of any attempt at real theming), but most people don't care and find Universal the more thrilling, relaxing, pleasant and adult-oriented choice. I know tons of people who haven't set foot on Disney property in years. Of course, Disney is still extremely popular with the family market, but a lot of tourists have grown out of Disney or become disinterested in it. And it's questionable at best if MagicBands or FastPass+ enhance the guest experience perceptibly at all.

As for future investments, I don't like Toy Story (yes, I know... Honestly, it's one of my least favourite Pixar franchises along with The Incredibles and Cars), Star Wars or GotG. That doesn't mean I'd hate the eventual lands/rides (I also don't care for Harry Potter at all btw), but they aren't huge draws in and of themselves unless the lands/attractions are done particularly well - as is the case with Wizarding World, and partially the case with Pandora seemingly, due to the uninspiring attractions. If the TRON rumours are true, that would be a pretty big draw however. TRON in Shanghai was spectacular, executed flawlessly and insanely re-rideable.

^ If you look at Inside The Magic's YouTube channel, there is a night-time bioluminescence video you might be interested in.
    Posted By: StevenXand that animatronic suspended in water is amazing.

Are you sure that's an animatronic? You're probably right. I just assumed it was some sort of screen since the public is very limited in the angles at which they can see it.
    • CommentAuthorStevenX

^ Not very sure - I'm just assuming it is, as there are videos callin it an animatronic. I kind of thought it was a screen too to begin with, but I think it might actually be a physical prop.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2017 edited

^ I think it's a prop as well, but I haven't figured it out entierly yet.

I really like the Toy Story movies, but seriously can't stand any more Toy Story rides. I'm not a fan of the larger-than-life theming in general, and here in Paris we already have a whole land + Buzz Lightyear... I mean there was a rumor about Midway Mania coming to Paris, but that's my least wanted ride for over here.

As for the immersion, the Wizarding World isn't about a showbuilding being visible here and there. It's about the shops (there are no regular stalls, the packaging are themed, etc), the streemosphere, etc. The merchandising is definitely next level (the overpriced but mandatory wand, the butterbeer), and the link between two parks via a themed ride was a first.
    I read once that local students come to the Leaked Cauldron to do their homeworks, just like in the movies. That's the immersion Universal tackled, and that Disney still lack. I feel like Star Wars might match that, but definitely not Pandora, which is still a "traditional" land.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2017

^Your last paragraph sums up a good portion of my reasoning with the whole "Disney vs Universal" debate. When there's rides that blatantly show the show buildings, I'm pretty sure it's evident that it's purposeful to give the feel of a movie lot (Universal Studios) while you have Islands of Adventures on the other end that covers a MUCH more immersive experience. Another great example of this is the Port of Entry, or the "Main Street" of the park... Soo many details.
    • CommentAuthorStevenX

^^ I agree there are too many Toy Story attractions. I feel like they often don't really fit in all that well. At Hollywood Studios, it feels weird that there are the larger than life toy props around what are supposed to be movie sets. It kind of works at the Magic Kingdom, but then at Shanghai Disneyland it feels a bit of a strange fit for that Tomorrowland. Also, at DisneySea in Tokyo it seems weirdly shoe-horned into a land. The only place it really works very well is Hong Kong I think, where they have the full land dedicated to it.

They're always popular though, and people love them, so I guess you can't blame them for building them. At least it soaks up a bunch of crowds at each of the parks - it's particularly useful in DisneySea to be able to avoid it having ridden it elsewhere!
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

New images of that weird Chinese launched coaster... and it just got weirder:

Told you it was actually The [OMITTED] Misadventures of Cherry Bomb.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26

The lack of banking makes at least some amount of sense now. Still...
    •  
      CommentAuthorskyasaurus

i am confuse
    I love it.
    Looks like the track will be mostly covered with road. I'm guessing it'll make a lot more sense when it's done. Still odd but less so than now.
    Flight of Passage's queue is quite impressive. The use of ferrofluids, sound vibrations for that wind tunnel and that floating animatronic all surorunded by a really well done and impressive environment. The preshow video is a little strange though. Not sure why the actor kept pausing and saying "um" all the time as part of the script.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2017 edited

^ Oh, I didn't noticed the "wind tunnel", but I guess you're talking about that? I think it works like this, but instead of a 24Hz video recording, we have a 24Hz stroboscopic light. I suggested Brusspup to make a contraption using a strob back then, finally here is one! It must look better in person than in video due to framerate.

EDIT: Oh wait no, you were talking about this one. It's kind of neat as well (resonance!), but I like the water better, ha. I like how they "themed" some science experiments.

Posted By:tpainrad In the River Journey...are those characters...auto-erotica?

Wait, what?
    • CommentAuthorA113

i love that launched coaster
    ^^ King its a line from Jurassic Park.
    •  
      CommentAuthortpainrad
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2017 edited

Posted By:tpainradIn the River Journey...are those characters...auto-erotica?

Wait, what?

Click
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boH8YKHDwDA

Dawson Duel semi-POV
    wow... thats... slow af.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2017 edited

^ Ugh, yeah. Such a thrilling race.

-

That shaping! Could it be an ejector Stengel dive? =D
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery

Yeah Dawson Duel looks boring as hell
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox

Well it is a family/kiddie ride.
    Plus I'm guessing with the weight of the rider it'll increase the speed slightly?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26

Re: Dawson Duel - I mean, yeah, it's a family coaster from a company that makes alpine coasters. What were you expecting? As an aside - is the speed controllable like it is on alpine coasters? Maybe that's not a full speed run?

Re: Aussiemack - I looove that shaping. Mack Rides FTW.

•  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery

No the speed on Dawson Duel cannot be controlled by the rider
    • CommentAuthorMr. E

But were there dummies on board because I can see extra weight making the ride a bit faster.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2017 edited

^ Possible indeed. Wait & see.

-

Dare I say the T word?
    ^Tubular!
    'Tensity?
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2017 edited

^ TenPlusOne

Dawson Duel POV. It's slightly faster and thus better than the preview POV, but still struggle to gain speed at the beginning (it lacks a tiny drop after the station in my opinion, to give it a boost).

-

Shrek's Merry Fairy Tale Journey POV, at Motiongate. Way, wayyyy better than the other dark-rides in the park (Ghostbusters, Smurfs and Hotel Transilvania)!
    For once, good use of the trackless system, good audio constant throught the whole story, and the use of puppets not only makes a good art style, but also help "justifying" the very primitive animatronics.
    I also like the use of scrim for fire effects, and the wedding scene is abolutely lovely with all that is happening.
    • CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2017

It's better, but still ain't good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2017

^^That Shrek Darkride was pretty awesome looking, especially compared to the atrocities I've seen prior (Ghost Busters, Gumball, etc... Ew). The sets were pretty neat and the whole "story telling with puppets" theme was pretty interesting to see throughout, I dig.

As for that Dawson Duel... Ehh. It looks okay? It's definitely not intense, or really fun looking at that. But I could see it being something for kids to enjoy at most.
    It feels like Motiongate has a pretty high budget but an awful creative team. I mean, they could have easily designed most of their rides better without it costing more. I was kinda looking forward to things like the Hunger Games coaster when it was first announced, but overall I'm pretty disappointed with how it's turning out ... not that I have any intention of ever going there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2017

Here is a more complete POV of the Shrek ride. Looking back at it, I think it really suffers from their lackluster animatronics. Not the limitations of their movements, but the speed of execution. It's painfully slow. I wish they would also have added to the puppetry aspect, maybe in a comedic ton (sound of knocking wood, silly movements, etc). Because while I still think the idea of it being told by puppets is clever, they didn't fully exploited the potential.

-

Edit : And here is a Complete POV of Na'vi River Journey. We didn't missed much.

Also, more infos about Flight Of Passage: there's a screen in front of each vehicle displaying infos and displaying a video of your face. The banshee also breath and you can feel it at your knees as the seat slightly expands and releases.

On the topic of T words, looks like we are getting some twisted airtime!
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2017

^ Maybe even a non-inverted loop?

• CommentAuthorTheBeatles
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2017 edited

Walls have come down at Guardians of the Galaxy. I'll be at the premiere to suffer critique enjoy the six "new" ride experiences.

:(
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery

Joseph I'm afraid overjoyed to say I'll be joining you
    ^^^ That looks super tight for a non-inverted loop, maybe some low to the ground turns towards the end of the ride?
    ^^^ ^^ Its amazing finding out I'll be there opening weekend
    •  
      CommentAuthorskyasaurus

@Freethebear if they were towards the end of the ride they would have to be looser than they could be for an element towards the beginning of the ride, if that makes sense

Is it just me or does Guardians look shorter than tower of terror.