Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2017

• CommentAuthorTheBeatles

It's tough trying to look at the ride and not directly into the faces of a 2 children
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

^ To each his own kinks, Joseph!

-

7 LIM launches, over than a minute long... It's not a coaster it's a waterslide! Check the Krakatau POV, from Volcano Bay.

...poor word choices on my end
    •  
      CommentAuthorlamewad
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2017

That is one sweet Waterslide
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2017 edited

Guardians of the Galaxy queue tour with Joe Rhode.

Those were already show lights in the lobby as we can see there. I'm not a fan of the big screen telling you the story in repetitive clip of 3 minutes kind of stuff, but in the other end, the preshow... Hehehe, I won't spoil it there.

And here's a partial POV. A bit too soon to judge on the ride itself but...
    Tho I like the "Is that Disneyland? This is so cool!", hahaha.
    I think it looks great to be honest. I'm glad they incorporated the elevator directly into the story so it makes sense to be in one (that was a big concern of mine), and the queue looks pretty cool.

The only thing left now is to see if there's an actual story before the drop sequence. There definitely isn't one in the POV, but, considering the ride's called Mission Breakout, there must be a section where they, y'know ... break out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2017 edited

I'm going on Saturday so I'll leave a full review of the ride soon but let me tell you, it's actually looking really good so far. We shall see.

also that stan lee cameo
    • CommentAuthorPopFilms
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2017

Wow. It actually looks like it works. Unfortunately, I won't be riding it anytime soon but thankfully I get some Joe Rohde when I go to Animal Kingdom next month.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorganFan
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2017 edited

Guardians Of the Galaxy full POV

Wow actually gotta say this is pretty disappointing. They took a truly unique world class ride and turned it into an ad. It also doesn't have a story feel at all, seeming more like you just hang out with the characters for the ride. This used to be my favorite ride at DCA...
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2017

I think it looks okay

I really liked both GOTG movies and the ride kinda captures the feel of em, it's really just the fact that it's all screens now when the ride used to be all practical sets that bugs me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCrazycoaster

I mean, the original ToT uses a lot of practical sets, but the newer generation don't. You had the corridor scene, but that wasn't nearly as extensive as the original. What else is there on the newer generation? It had the mirror scene, which was a screen. And that was it...

I'd argue that Guardians has MORE physical sets, if you include all of the animatronics in the queue and the scene with Rocket. I've not watched the POV, I don't want to spoil it, but the original wasn't a practical set ride once you got onboard really.
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery

Tower of Terror had screens specifically for the ghost, the mirror, and the falling elevator in the background of the corridor scene. The rest was all physical sets. Here, the entire wall is practically a screen minus that one room with little boxes with flashing lights that you see for a split second. (also has a screen in it in the very back, might I add)

So no, from a strictly on-ride basis, ToT factually had more physical sets.
    I still think it's alright. Sure, it could have done with a bit more story, but based on what they were going for I think it works. It looks like the screens have a pretty convincing 3D effect (i.e. the way it moves with the elevator), so that doesn't bother me too much. Also it means the ride isn't limited to two scenes (not sure how many there are or whether they're randomized, though).

I do agree that the lack of practical effects is a bit of a shame, but they couldn't exactly build a life-size version of what those screens show. The generator scene is pretty neat (although very short).

Also, didn't they say the drop sequence would be randomized? I really hope it is - that was one of the main redeeming factors for the retheme.

^^So? Practical sets aren't always better then screens. Haven't actually watched the full thing but I'd take modern screens over ToT tiny physical sets.

•  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery

^That, mon ami, is a matter of opinion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

I'm quite a fan of the POV. I really love the intro to the ride and thought it was an awesome touch, plus the music kicker afterwards made it seem really exciting. The Generator room was really well done as well, however I feel the other scene, the one big screen, was just "alright". Certainly not incredible as I said earlier, but it definitely looks enjoyable. The queue looks rockin too, and I feel if they nailed any part of the ride, it would be the queue. Of course I haven't seen the films so I can't judge on accuracy in any way (if this is even from the films) but the details throughout were really intricate and neat.

Overall, I think it's a nice retheme. Of course the old TOT is better, but not by much IMO. I think they pulled it off really well for such a drastic difference in theme.

EDIT: Also the whole screen debate is stupid, who cares if the ride uses screen? They pulled it off really well with the changing perspective/elevator movement, and it certainly doesn't make up the entire ride. that aside the other two scenes were fantastic.

EDIT2: Here's another POV, which compared to the first one shows the differences in the ride. Of course it's nothing too drastic, but neat to say the least!
    ^ Nope, the ride's story isn't canon. Tivan's Collection is a thing in the first film, but he doesn't capture the Guardians. Can't say more than that without spoilers :P

Edit: Ah, so the scenes do randomize. Bit odd considering one of those scenes is literally them breaking out, yet it doesn't appear on every ridethrough.
    • CommentAuthorStevenX

I think it looks terrible. I have no idea about anything GotG, and it seems like pretty much the single worst franchise they could ever use for an attraction. Maybe I've been left behind by the whole thing, but having not seen the movies, I don't get it. It isn't, I think, a strong enough franchise (like, say, Spiderman or Transformers at Universal) that guests who haven't seen the movies can relate to it. I think particularly overseas visitors might struggle with it.

I have no idea what's supposed to be going on in any of the scenes in the ride, and what the story - if any - is. I don't get the music, although I'm told that's something to do with the movies.

The ToT's other than Florida's always suffered a bit from being very short with incredibly short show scenes. This layover really exacerbates that to me; the incredibly short animations don't do a good job at all of conveying much of anything. At least the ToT's weren't trying to say too much, and the show scenes were easy enough to understand in a few seconds and convey a general feeling of impending doom.

I really hope this mess is limited to California. The Florida (and Tokyo to a lesser extent) versions are too good for this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

^ I fully agree with your last point. The ride is kind of a mess and you may need a few laps to simply get what is happenning. On the other hand, you get more drop sequences I feel.

I also agree to GotG isn't a strong enough IP (at least here in Europe), but have you seen the entire queue line and preshows? I think you can quite easily get the most of it even if you haven't seen the movie.

I liked the idea of hand scanning presented by Joe Rohde and more of less sneakily scattered throught the queue and preshows. However I feel the execution in the ride is lackluster and will go unoticed by the majority of the guests.

The first generator room looks like a cheap Walmart Christmas tree, I really don't like the look of it... Plus, Rocket is supposedly on top of our elevator gantry lift (WTF is that name) during the ride ; I'd have loved some interactions, like a laser beam coming from up-there destroying the generator.

Posted By: Coasterfan312It looks like the screens have a pretty convincing 3D effect (i.e. the way it moves with the elevator)

Squinching, woohoo! That's neat that they kept the lift constantly in motion in order to make the fake depth effect works best. Although I'm not sure if it won't become slightly annoying to be bouncing around the whole time.

Posted By: MrcrollyEDIT: Also the whole screen debate is stupid, who cares if the ride uses screen?

I like screens... When they have physical interactions, or are well-integrated in the sets (like on the original ToT). But here, it's a flat screen with a random border. It screams "interchangeable content" and I don't like it. If I want to see a movie, I go to the theater. In my mind, physical sets are more impactful than screens - let alone those with baffling special effects.
    • CommentAuthorStevenX

I've watched a bit of the pre-show stuff but not all of it. Honestly, I'm so disinterested in GotG I wasn't keen enough to watch the whole thing. Maybe it does give more context, but I still feel the ride show scenes are a rushed, sloppy mess.

Maybe we're just in the minority however in thinking that GotG is not a strong enough IP in Europe. I feel it's totally passed me by and I don't know anyone who knows the slightest thing about it, but then it did seem to do very well at the box office Google tells me! Then again, so did Pandora and I don't think that's a particularly great IP either at this point.

My favourite part of the whole thing is actually the super-simple projections of Rocket (?) on the lift doors at the start and end, maybe just because they bring the impression of a bit more physicality or dimension to the experience which is very screen heavy.

Your point about interchangeable content is kind of interesting. Theoretically they could do overlays fairly easily, e.g. bring back ToT for Halloween by swapping in video/animation of the old show scenes and swapping the ride programme back. That'd be an interesting way of keeping everyone happy(ish).
    I like it.. *hides*
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

nSeven doesn't, and his comment really made me laugh:

Posted By: n7 on shyguy's WorldThe POV is out...and it's about the ugliest thing I've seen from this company in a LONG time - that includes the ill fated Superstar Limo.

Lazy, uninspired, somehow excessive and gaudy and about the cheapest thrill they've put into DCA since the maliboomer. This ride is absolute garbage and will have doomed this attraction from ever turning into something magnificent. After this is the scrapheap once the GOTG characters wear out.

Watching Flight of Passage and then this...it feels like two entirely different companies are in charge of making attractions right now. One, an emotionally moving masterpiece of simulated flight leading up to a breathtaking crescendo....the other...piss in a cup that gets shaken up and down with licensed music playing too loudly.

I...I have no words.

^^Me too. Just watching the ride pov it doesn't seem to have much of a story though. Maybe the queue line explains why this is happening? Anyhow it seems like a really fun ride, probably more than TOT was, and it's re-rideable with the randomized screens. I'm guessing the music is random too?

•  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

Yes, there are six musics and randomized scenes.

The story is simple: the Guardians of the Galaxy are trapped, and you'll help them escape during your VIP tour of the Collector's (Tivan) collection. That's basically it. Rocket the racoon shut off the electricity to free his friends the Guardians, but that also free all the other monsters and creatures the Collector had in cages.

There are quite a few plotholes, or weaknesses in the whole storyline, tho. How did Rocket escaped his own cage? Where is Tivan during the escape? He is totally absent after the queue line and preshow. Why are the Guardians locked in the first place? Well, that one is explained ("because I thought the VIP tour was fun"), but it's kinda easy..

-

Star Treck queue line + preshow + POV at 5:20. Cool looking preshow for fans of the saga, and what seems like a fun coaster to ride.
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox

Some POV footage of Lech Coaster

It's definitely sped up a lot in the past week.

•  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

^ Wow, thanks for finding this video, it definitely went under the radar! It looks faster indeed, very cool. Here's another offride video from two days ago.

Side note: Vekoma's shaping is at the heart of a furius debate here in NLE, but I don't know I really find it satisfying to watch. It's so fluid!
    • CommentAuthorPopFilms

For GOTG, the outside of the building looks terrible but the ride, preshow, lobby all look nice. I like the AA in the preshow and that they have a completely different ride profile than TOT. It's just can't live up to TOT, even if DCA's TOT was the worse version.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZergei

I that Mission Breakout is a great attraction still, but it's lost its class. It definitely looks fun though!

There were a few visual problems I had with the pulling in/out motion and the "shadows" they make (even if they are real shadows). If the thing is pulling away, Rocket should continuously be getting larger as the shadow, not stay static on a wall. And when the doors close, he is still there on the wall, though he's supposed to be behind the doors as well. The issue is that he is supposed to be on top of the elevator itself, so it's just visually incorrect and makes it look wrong. Same with the end with all of the hardware hitting the ground (where?), the motion they have looks too slow as well. Sorry if I'm wrong or too picky about this stuff, but that's just how I think when I look at ride effects :P

And I agree with StevenX's last line as well. As much as there are small issues with WDW's ToT, it should not be touched by a retheme, but rather "plussed" to integrate more advanced effects and make the story even more believable!
    Lol, this is one of the most controversial rides I've seen for a while.

Remember, Disney doesn't own Marvel in Orlando, so a Disney World TOT conversion is impossible unless they used a non-Marvel IP (although after the reaction to the Mission Breakout announcement I doubt they'd convert it to anything).

Also, one thing I noticed today from a side-by-side comparison: while the whole sequence is exactly the same length, Mission Breakout goes up and down way more than TOT did. At least that's a positive.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

^Ontop of your last point, every moment the elevator moves seems to be rather fast, rather than the slow buildup the original TOT had.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMillennium
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2017

My main problem with the ride is that there is no story to the actual ride/drop sequence like ToT had. I haven't seen any videos of the pre-show, but it just seems to be lacking a good, solid storyline. ToT you could just walk in and get the story where this seems more forced to get the IP in. I guess I'll have to ride it before I judge it, but I hate that the creepy ToT atmosphere has been replaced with a campy ride with more screens.
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2017 edited

^ This is exactly my point. Zero coherent story, and just screens galore where ToT either had screens that worked well or physical sets. I had the lucky opportunity to experience the ride today and I can say firsthand that it's nowhere near as good as ToT and it's actually really bad, even for non-Disney standards. I do agree though that a big plus was the new drop sequence, which is also randomized.

(PS, the preshow is basically just a Rocket animatronic telling you he's escaped without any explanation as to how other than that he's escaped 23 prisons (22 in the ride's script actually, but fuck the one he escaped in the 1st movie, right?), and he gives you his plan to "help" him free the GotG. How would random people in an elevator help? Who knows. Why does Rocket need them to help? Haven't a clue. Basic summary of this ride's story really. And that's my main gripe with this ride other than the exterior.)
    • CommentAuthorJAKool

What I find funny is that at the end of the ride cycle Drax can be heard bringing up exactly that, you did literally nothing to help them.

I have to say, I've never been so happy to be wrong ever before. I really, really liked the ride and had a ton of fun with it. I'm honestly surprised you still didn't like it Olmisery, I'm not sure if you just really didn't want to like it but I definitely enjoyed it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2017

Posted By: OlmiseryHow would random people in an elevator help? Who knows. Why does Rocket need them to help? Haven't a clue.

He need our human hands for the security check. Right after we went backward, there's the said check and he asks us to put our hands up. The lights turns blue, meaning we have the go.
    That's a neat idea, but as I said I think the exucution is bad in the elevator, and most of the people would miss it (even more in real life where you're just excited/terrified and you're waiting for the drops).

Another thing ToT did better, is the integration of Cast Members. They still play a role in GotG, but why there are humans in here isn't justified in the storyline. Having them dressed up like Tivan slaves would have made more sense.
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery

I meant other than that, like they're in an elevator just watching shit happen in the background behind our main cast and then the whole cast thanks them for something???

Also Jake I still had fun, I'm just really pissed the execution is shit compared to ToT. It's a good ride and it is really enjoyable (I enjoyed it) but it could've been a lot better, honestly.

My view on this ride is, yeah, it's fun, but it's not exceptionally good like ToT was. Still a really good ride by normal park standards, just not Disney standards.
    • CommentAuthorJAKool

I'll still disagree with you there, I think considering the time frame and budget they executed it very well. Everything inside the building feels very Disney, although obviously on a budget.

Also Xander, like I said, they make fun of that exact point. It is hard to hear so I'll give you that, but it is addressed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2017

Rocket animatronic was already amazing to me, until I saw that. So neat! All the overlay budget went into this animatronic - or should I say "these animatronics", as there are two preshows ; and there are some side props alongside the main figure (the tail, the hand, ect).
    •  
      CommentAuthorBetaCoasters
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2017 edited

The screens are all just the wave goodbye room.
    (Its obvious though)
    • CommentAuthorJAKool

It took you time to figure that out? I got that from my very first ride on it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery

^ This.

They literally couldn't have done it any other way without ripping out the exterior of the tower, which would've been obvious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

I thought it was already known that would be the scenario even before the POV was out. Although I'm a huge fan of the fact that they made the elevator movement consistently intense, it redeems the ride quite a bit imo.

If you look closely it's even the same ride system as Tower of Terror
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

^But are you joking?

In seriousness, I thought the old TOT didn't have randomization nor the amount of speed towards the start that GotG has.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

The Thunderbolt coaster coming at OWA is rising:

Zamperla got innovative again with a FreeLoop©, which is a vertical looping with the top open, because as the train naturally follows a parabola, they figured out they didn't needed track at the top.
    • CommentAuthorBullero

^ that video is the best thing I've seen today
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox

It still amazes me that someone actually wanted to buy a Thunderbolt clone and on top of it Zamperla made the restraints even worse as well. It'll be interesting to see how these new ones ride but I don't have high hopes.
    ^ Hopefully it will be better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery

Thunderbolt was actually pretty alright when I rode it, still not that good but not horribly bad either. The restraints on the new train look terrible though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMillennium

Posted By: Mrcrolly^But are you joking?

In seriousness, I thought the old TOT didn't have randomization nor the amount of speed towards the start that GotG has.

I think he was sarcastically pointing out that the elevator system has changed. Yes the program has changed, but the actual system has not, besides some possible computer upgrades.