Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2017

^^^ Nice to see that the purple and teal dive is finally going up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox

Ugliest coaster type ever.
    • CommentAuthorTheBeatles

Do we know yet where Energylandia got this massive influx of money/coasters from? I wish they were putting more effort into aesthetics like Cedar Fair/some SF parks do.
    ^They have some radio station behind them i think it was somethink like Radio1.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBasilisk
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2017 edited

Short video of symbolica's pre-show:

https://twitter.com/Amusement_king/status/879697566786564097
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2017

I was expecting something similar for Voletarium and it didn't happened, so I'm glad we got it there!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26

Energylandia Divertical clone

I still can't believe they sold another one of those after the Pilgrim's Plunge debacle, and the reality that Divertical is lame as hell.

•  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

^I don't think I've heard of this, what happened with Pilgrims Plunge?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26

It was a just total failure from both a ride experience and reliability angle from day 1. It was billed by HW and sold to them by Intamin as having an unprecedented 45' tall tidal wave of a splashdown wave (in addition to being the tallest water ride in the world, which at the time, it was). Through many attempts, Intamin was never able to deliver a proper splashdown... really at all, and instead you got a crummy 'skim over the water' type splash... and then you were sort of unceremoniously dumped into the water when the boat nosed-down after the splashdown track (like, the boat nosed in, water came up, and soaked the legs of the folks in the first row). In 5 years, it never really delivered on the promises it was sold on, after more than a few tweaks.

But, primarily, it was a nightmare to operate. Tons of maintenance issues, reliably broken down more often than it was open, and after 5 years, Holiday World cut their losses and took it out (ride opened in 2009, removed in 2014).

For a park to remove what was supposed to be a marquee attraction after only 5 years of operation isn't unprecedented, but it is certainly exceedingly rare in the industry.

•  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2017 edited

Dodonpa got vest restraints:

Here's a video of the loop.

So yup, Dodonpa still got its wonderful acceleration, but that's about it now... Sure the loop might deliver a great hangtime, but with a vest it's less noticable I fear.
    • CommentAuthorBullero
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2017

^ The loop looks great! Dodonpa is definitely on the bucket list!

Just got back from the Efteling, and I must say: Symbolica is quite the ride! The amount of detail put into this ride is incredible, so I got the feeling that I might have missed some of these details! Definitely have to go back some day after it's official opening on July 1st.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

^ From the (crappy) first onride videos online, it looks quite impressive I must say! Lots of physical stuff and almost no screen and mapping... Really refreshing to see.

-

Lech Coaster Key hole through the station
    Video 1

Video 2

Video 3

Other Dodonpa Test Videos
    • CommentAuthorBullero

^^ There are screens, but very cleverly hidden. 95% is pure scenery. There is an interactive panel on the vehicle, though it does not add much in my opinion. It only distracts from an already detail-filled experience.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

I was expecting the aquarium to be a screen for instance, while the vehicule was entering the scene - but it turned out it's a giant animatronic! Also, all the "magical effects" (like in the preshow) are gobos and other traditionnal light effetcs instead of projection mapping. It's old school, and charming!
    • CommentAuthorBullero

^I agree, they did it their own way and it works
    • CommentAuthorBigbad

I have to wonder why these more adventurous companies aren't following the Mack idea of (overhead) lap bars for inverting coasters. I'd expect OTSRs from B&M, but why does Dodonpa need anything but a lap bar? (I extend this question to drop towers. Imagine how vulnerable you would feel with overhead lap bars on something like Zumanjaro.)
    ^ I agree. That is one thing I love about Lagoon and why all but one of their coasters have lap bars and that is because they know they are safe and provide a good ride. Cannibals first design of lapbars were over head designed but for an unknown reason were redesgined and followed a more Wicked /BomBora type design instead.
    • CommentAuthorlore_sully

^^Doesn't Zumanjaro already have overhead lap bars?
    They are not designed as the mack and intamin ones, but the over the shoulder part has so much space and it's so far from the shoulders that i think the restraint can be classified as lap bar, no?
    • CommentAuthorBigbad

Zumanjaro's OTS portion of the harness is really far away from riders, but it still goes over the shoulders. My only experience with overhead lap bars is Skyrush, but something like those would be so much better on Zumanjaro than have huge, obnoxious, orange steel in front of you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMillennium
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2017

Based on my experience with Lex Luthor, I honestly think those restraints are more lap bar than OTSR because the lap portion is really the only thing that keeps you in and the shoulder parts really just provide something to hang on to/prevent your upper body from falling fully forward. I also think it's a decent solution for wanting lap bars on a drop tower without fully giving up restricting someone from just bending fully over.

On the topic of vests, I really dislike that they are becoming so common. Yes, they keep you securely in, but they restrict so much movement and kill so much airtime, I honestly think it's the reason I don't like Valravn at all. There are very few coasters that I feel benefit from vest restraints and I'm sure Dodonpa isn't one of them. Also the Zumanjaro/Lex Luthor restraints are also not the greatest, especially for drop towers. Yes, you get a more open sensation like never before, but it KILLS the drop because you can't come out of your seat at all. If the restraints were more classic Intamin, it would greatly improve the ride. If anyone has been on a Larson & ARM drop tower, those restraints are the best for airtime since they have a decent amount of give to them. Best drop towers ever.
    • CommentAuthorteejaysyke

I think all rides (within reason) should have the lapbar system IT uses at Wildwood, so comfy.

• CommentAuthorBigbad

^That looks pretty good! I'd be okay with most rides using those. I've only been mentioning the Skyrush- or Helix-style overhead lap bars because it makes sense to have the lap bar Ben overhead if there's no floor.
    • CommentAuthorJAKool

The lapbars on IT are incredible, an infinite improvement over those enormous and uncomfortable OTSRs that KMG uses. They just make the ride experience so much more freeing and fun.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

Zumanjaro has the bars in front of you becasue the seats are really close together, there isn't any room for them to go to the side Taron-style.
    • CommentAuthorBigbad

I think Zumanjaro came before Intamin started doing overhead lap bars, but putting the seats that close together was a decision. Future drop towers don't have to use that same design.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMillennium

Intamin has been doing overhead on their water rides for a while (like Shoot the Rapids). I'm not sure exactly when they starting using overheads but Lex Luther came after that, although it would need the Taron redesign style.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2017

•  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery

im already fucking in europe, time to replace prague with poland
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

More Lech Coaster going round and round.
    I'm sure it's a fun ride, but man I can't stand the design lol from the layout to the shaping.
    • CommentAuthorInkyz

That station flythrough is absolutely awesome.
    Posted By: Olmiseryim already fucking in europe

ew, didn't need to know that...
    •  
      CommentAuthorlamewad

Lech looks amazing. I cant wait for the POV. Anyone been on it here?
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2017 edited

Still not a raw POV, but here's even more offride and onride footages of Lech! I do hope the water will change color, haha, but otherwise, this looks great!
    It just looks so Newtony lol. I love some of the elements on the ride but it almost seems as if the Vekoma design team sat down and locked the laterals to zero. There are so many nuances when it comes to shaping rides and this just appears to exhibit none of them. I'm interested to see the full pov.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

Wait no more: Lech Coaster POV. Plus some views from the back seat. I think it's just hauling through the course, and Newtony or not I just know I want to ride it. Only the first inversion is concerning me, as I don't like when you "loop" too fast and you got positive g while upside down... But I can't guess how it rides until I ride it myself.
    • CommentAuthorInkyz

Well that just became one of the best coasters in Europe
    •  
      CommentAuthorKG9

The water looks like sewage. Anybody else notice that?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26

I would hope the water will calm down. I'd imagine it's a combination of loose dirt in the pool from construction + a very recent filling. Ride looks pretty damn great though. Nice work, Vekoma.

•  
      CommentAuthorKWTbolt

That looks fantastic. I love the pacing and the mix of inversions and non-inverting elements. Wish I had a chance of riding it ... ever.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAJClarke0912

Posted By: gigacoasterfanalmost seems as if the Vekoma design team sat down and locked the laterals to zero

And locked the positives to 3.5. The first inversion looks so interesting but it seems as though it would feel so boring. It just seems like such a binary ride set to heavy positives and the rare heavy negative, with the only variation being which direction you're tilting. No pacing changes either. I feel like dynamically there is just nothing going on.

We've probably been spoiled by Stengel's genius and the limitations of 90's and 00's design software. I like the variations of intensity, pace, progression though an element, etc of "older" rides. Who knows, it could be fun. I'm interested to see what enthusiasts think of it besides "smooth and intense, I guess?" - I'm sure the GP won't care anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2017

^This is where I stand too, I just feel the ride wouldn't be nearly as interesting on ride as it is seeing it offride. Sure, it has some crazy snapping and awesome flyby's, but if you were to close your eyes the entire ride then all those factors would feel nonexistent. Of course I'm only judging from videos myself but to me it just *looks* that way.
    HAHA that last S-turn looks so Newton-y, like what happens when the vertical G-force doesn't match the roll xP But I think it looks really good overall! Yeah it does look really Newton-y and may not have many of the smaller details in track shaping like cool laterals and some "snap" in transitions, but I feel like the multiple fly-by moments and track / supports / scenery interaction probably make up for those things.
    Posted By: AJClarke0912"smooth and intense, I guess?"

It's not even that. Rides we think of as "smooth and intense" often have much more thought put into the way the track transitions from element to element. Take Intimidator 305, arguably a top five most intense ride in the world today. The designers at Intamin obviously have state of the art technology that allows them to use force vector design, or geometric design, or something else. However, there is still meticulous attention to detail everywhere. For example, this transition. Notice how the track banks slightly left before the quick right snap so that the riders are "prepared" for high rotational laterals. I am just completely missing this feeling on this ride.
    • CommentAuthorA113

I agree with basically everything you have stated so succinctly, Thomas.

However, I do wish to give credit for the ride's superb scenery interaction (for what was at least built). The barrel roll station fly-through and the station's theming and craftsmanship is well done. I think despite my own grievances on the track shaping, at a grand scale I think Lech serves a great model of a roller coaster that does a balanced job in creating intensity, theming, and on-ride/off-ride interaction, on what I am assuming was a reasonable budget.
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox

I hope more clones of Lech start popping up. The ride only cost 4.36 million Euros so it's very cheap.
    ^^Thanks Elias, I could go on about shaping minutia for days haha. I will agree with you that the ride's theming and interaction is top notch. I'm interested to hear from one of the members of NLE what they think of the ride when someone here eventually rides it. Until then, we can only speculate.
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan

My fiberglass playground slide cost only almost 2,000 dollars. 4.36 million euros makes my fiberglass slide look like dirt cheap.