Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2017

I hear you about the shaping question. But to me, it's not a problem per say, it's just different.
    It's like music: the strong point of classical music is variation, progression, fugues and everything ; while the selling point of EDM is repetition, getting a melody stuck in your head, having drop where you expect the beat to go off, etc.
    It's two kinds of thing, and I must say I enjoy rides that delivers what I'd expect (B&M hypers for instance) more than rides that caught me off-guard with snaps and laterals.

What I see on Lech Coaster is just a relentless ride with strong positives and negatives, elements that flows into each others and an overall fun layout. We are accustomed to bash "Newtony" coasters on NoLimits because they are so easy made on Newton/FVD++... But is this point relevant in real life? I'll wait to ride it before saying it's bland.
    I'm certain Benjamin Bloemendaal hasn't designed the layout in 10 minutes following what the software was leading him - which is the critic behind "Newtony".

Anyways, here's another great video of Lech Coaster. Also, it seems the ride has a preshow video with its own soundtrack.
    • CommentAuthorInkyz

Must be freaking intense. Kid looked like he was about to pass out multiple times.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

That kid looked like he was about to passout before the ride even got off the lift.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani

Haha these these shaping discussion look rather ridiculous, looks like a great coaster and when software should have made it possible to have the layout finished in 1 minute including all supports it's even better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorskyasaurus
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2017

One thing I think conversations like this miss is the joy of disorientation you feel moving through space rapidly while changing direction. The absurdly smooth directional changes, where a roll segment doesn't start or end at the mental "start" or "end" of an element can give you that giddy sensation where your brain kinda gives up at figuring out where you are and where you're going. A great example is the roll that continues after the last inversion. As virtual designers we undervalue this aspect because it is so difficult to translate the physical sense of motion and place in 3D space on a screen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

You know what guys, I just booked everything, I'm going to Legendia next week. So hopefully I'll be back with a review of the ride! =)
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox

I'd also like reviews of their Soquet looper and two Zyklon clones if you decide to ride them.
    I will probably go next year, when also the new coaster at Energylandia will (supposedly) open. The two parks are like only one hour one from the other, and the flights to Krakow are often under 30€ (return) from where i live in Italy :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorviking86
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2017 edited

^That is my plan also! Wizz Air has really cheap direct flights from my city (Bergen, Norway) to Katowice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

Wizz Air is the way I go as well. As it's a low-cost company, beware of the additionnal fees, tho.
    I'll have almost three days there (there're only two flights a week...), so I'll take the season pass as cheaper than taking two days - let alone three, and the park is literally at the city center. I'll be sure to ride every coaster! Especially the weird Soquet.

I was wondering about Energylandia, it's not far indeed and buses are going there both from Katowice and Kraków... I'll see, since I got time. Hmm.
    • CommentAuthorJAKool

I expect in depth reviews of both the forward and backward seating on the Soquet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2017

^ Will deliver.

-

Dodonpa not only went from 172 to 180 km/h... They also made the time shorter! Previously it needed 1.8 seconds to get full speed, now it only takes 1.56 seconds. That makes a linear acceleration of 3.3g, instead of the previous 2.7g. The real acceleration has been measured at 3.75g tho.

Here's a POV.
    Just for comparison

The new launch looks insane, so glad they didnt neuter it
    •  
      CommentAuthorlamewad
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2017

Wow! More reasons to want to ride Dodonpa!
    It's insane how much friction that coaster has. Maybe that was the sole reason they decided to use tires instead of polyurethane wheels? Just so that they could launch it at insane speeds, yet not have to keep the speed under control through the rest of the layout by using brakes (as on Formula Rossa). The tires just bleed all the speed on their own.
    • CommentAuthorBigbad
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2017 edited

Posted By: KingRCT3instead of the previous 2.7g. The real acceleration has been measured at 3.75g tho.
    That's insane. That's a floored Tesla faster acceleration than the original, which was already the fastest in the world and considerably stronger than most of the famous launched coasters (Ka, Dragster, Rossa, etc).
    • CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2017 edited

Xcelerator's launch is already pretty crazy and that isn't even the fastest hydraulic launch. I could only imagine how old Dodonpa's launch must have felt, not to mention a full G faster.
    Holy crap. S&S show their insanity yet again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlamewad
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2017

The pneumatic launch is so silly powerful. There is a reason that aircraft carriers have used it for decades. Can't wait to get to Japan.
    Holy shit. I need to experience this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2017 edited

I'll write a complete review and post POV when I get back home, but Lech Coaster...

... is just beyond amazing. Do you really care if it's Newtony when you got airtime as strong as Intamin's during the whole ride up until the brake run hop, and fast but smooth inversions? DO YOU?

Plus Legendia put it in a very nice package. The queue is beautiful - we feel like we're in a Crazycoaster creation with the track going around ; there's a pre-show ; music ; employees in costumes ; trains are comfy as heck (NO pressure from the vest! Finally)...

JAKool, I did the Soquet. I hate you, that's the only review I can get you after that. No but really, it was interesting I'll explain why later on, and the contrast between Lech and... that... is unbelievable.
    • CommentAuthorInkyz
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2017

Where does it stand in your top coasters? Or are you undecided?
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2017

I never can compare two coasters, especially when I rode one long ago (like, before yesterday) or/and it's two different styles. I can't say if it's better or worse than Shambhala for instance.

But it's really a complete ride, as it has both inversions, twists, positive g-forces and airtime. And I have no negative thing to say...!
    There is no rattle and the train is really great (NOTHING in common with the vest train on old loopers).
    It can be a n°1 depending on my mood, sincerely.
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2017 edited

Did the water calm down or does it still look like raw sewage?
    • CommentAuthorA113
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2017 edited

the quick transitions between extremes, hard positives and hard negatives, lead me to believe I wouldnt be as inclined to reride it (the beauty of RMC is how it balances low-g with intensity, i.e. something I'd be more inclined to get back in line for without feeling too fatigued). interesting to hear your experience, however. perhaps it took a real life construction of a "newtony" coaster to prove its worth. despite this, I stand by crafting an experience with more layers of sensations and anticipation, not something as clear-cut or "binary" as Justin described further posts back.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2017

The water is better, almost the same color as the lake. There's also a splash down after the first S-turn but the water fountains are really slow to "grow" and thus the splash happens seconds after the train has passed. They still need to tweak this one, haha...

A113, I could have feared the quick transitions of g forces would be too intense as well, but no it just feels smooth. It's like a RMC (I only rode Wildire tho) but more ample.

By the way, on the first row I was thrown sideway all the way during the last corkscrew, which last a good second. Just saying there's a bit of laterals, haha, even if it might be from rotational forces.
    •  
      CommentAuthornolimiters
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2017

Anyone seen this awesome GCI @ Happy Valley Chongqing already?

Link to album
    King, that's awesome you got to ride it. I'm glad the ride isn't as bland as I made it out to be.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAJClarke0912
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2017 edited

Posted By: KingRCT3Lech Coaster... is just beyond amazing.

Good to hear! I had figured it could be fun, but I'm always skeptical. It doesn't help that I've almost been trained exhaustively to hate this type of track design since 2008. Then again, I also love Vortex at Kings Island, so maybe I just like punishing rides. :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorskyasaurus
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2017

can't wait to see what replaces vortex in the next decade, it's a great lot with a lot more terrain than people realize. oh well, i'll save my musings for the 2027 thread.
    ^ Maybe adding MK1212 trains will breathe some life into it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2017

I waited a few days to let the hype of the moment goes down, so I could write a proper review of Lech Coaster.

A word about the park: it's a city park, you can go there by foot from the city center (it's nearly 3km away tho, but there's a straight pedestrian path). The park is clean and all the attractions were recently repainted/rethemed. Only a few areas are still left behind, like the one around the Soquet coaster - but that's the next one to be refurbrished.

The coaster is visible from almost all around the place. I'm not particulary a fan of its color-scheme, grey on grey is a bit bland, but whaterver, it really has an imposing presence over the central lake.

The first thing you notice while getting closer, is how bulky the track is. It's really massive.

The queue is rather simple but well-crafted. The wood gives it a nice and warm feeling. It goes around a fort, which is surrounded by the U-turn of the coaster.
    As I said, I felt like I was inside a Crazycoaster creation, especially as there are not nets or tall fences, and the track is still very close by.

Then there's a preshow, the park made an animated movie and cast it over three screens (with Christie projectors for that matter). Along with the music and the employees in costume, this show Legendia really took care of the whole experience and did not only slapped their coaster on a patch of grass.

All the action occurs in the center screen, the sides are just to widen the field of view.

Here is my video of the zone, queue and preshow.

The station is one story above, and really nice and open:

The fly-through is awesome to look at. Notice, no nets.

The control panel allows the operator to release each individual restraint on demande if needed, via the touch screen. I thought this was really neat, and it shows how technologically up-to-date the ride is. Same goes for the lift, brakes, wheels and all the hardware: everything is really smooth. I stress that part because old Vekoma were really rough on these points, and to me it's really an important part of an attraction that can makes you like or hate your ride. For instance, Rock'n'Roller Coaster at Disneyland Paris has a rather smooth layout, but the final brakes and the stop(s) in the station are always making me feel uncomfortable and sick. I always came out of the coaster with a headache, just because of that.

The front wheel on the left side has a black and white sticker, probably for a sensor to count the rotations:

The train is also very high-quality. The plastic modling is nice (it's not the fiberglass from Timberliners...), you have plenty of leg-room and the seat is confortable and open. Nothing like the old cramped trains.

The bar is a bit dificult to pull down, but an employee will gladly help you with that. Actually, they'll really pushes it down to the max. Luckily, the bar is confortable and does not shear your lap.

The vest now. I talked about vest restraints earlier on, having tried a B&M wing coaster (Raptor) and a few Vekoma (Python, Speed of Sound, Magic Mountain). I didn't really liked it because it was holding you tight, and hurting your collar bones.

Lech avoid such problems, as the vest isn't that tight this time. You can lean forward or put your hand underneath it without too much resistance. During airtimes, it's still the bar that holds you in place, not the vest, who only provides an horizontal hold (that's the point of these things, to keep you in the proper riding position).
    That said, it's still a vest and not a lap-bar only...

OK, let's dispatch. Quite strangly, the turn out of the station got some vibrations.

•  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

The lift must be inclined at 45°, which is like B&M dives or Wicked Cyclone. It's an interesting value because that's the point where you start leaning as much on your back than on your butt. It gives a strange sensation.

At the top, the train slows down. This was to be expected from the very first simulation of the coaster. I was even expecting some trims up there, due to the shape of the drop. There are none.

There you can see the shaping. I can assure you this transition is smooth.

The drop is really incredible. Definitely one of my favorite first drop. I wish I could compare it to EGF, but it's been too long since I rode the german coaster, and the drop didn't particularly stroke me back then (yeah I know right). I mean, EGF drop is amazing, but not over-the-top crazy like everyone was praising it, I found.

On Lech Coaster. At the front of the train, you see the track disappear, like, really. You only see the lake, and during the ascent you felt like you went pass by the whole layout, and it was now behind your back. You got a nice airtime.

At the back of the train tho, you slows down during the ascent, and then gain speed over the apex. You are literally sucked into the drop, and you got an ejector that lasts about one whole second, which is incredible.

You don' feel neither lateral or vertical jerks. The bottom of the drop is intense on positive g but doesn't last long. Here goes the first inversion, a kind of wrap-around corkscrew:

I wasn't expecting much out of it - in fact, I was afraid I won't like it because I never like when there are positive g forces at the top of an inversion. Old school Vekoma are prime exemple of that...
    In reality, there's a break in the positive at the top, so the inversion s quite nice to go through.

The bottom of this inversion is heavy in positive g, and I almost greyed out there. It may last a second.

Then come the first S-turn, which might be not even half the size of the lift hill. What is interesting there, is that the airtime -or should I say batsh*t crazy ejector time- is sustained longer than the rotation itself. It's really different than your typical Intamin S-turn, but I personnaly like it better. It's what gives the Newtony look to tthe coaster, I guess.

The train then plunges down at the surface of the lake, and there's a splash effect still being tweaked there. You feel you can touch the water.
    The following hill provides a nice and long ejector time. Really, Vekoma pushed the airtime where only Intamin (and maybe RMC) only dared to go, so far. It's intense, but still smooth and confortable (*cough* Skyrush).

The station fly-through follows the airtime hill in a near double-down fashion, making the pacing really fast here. The twist provide a sweet hangtime.

You fly-by the queue and get a headchopper out of the tree.

Then comes the part I was really looking forward to: the U-turn with the flattened top and the late rotation. I was wishing the top part would provide a true 0g feeling, alas it's not quite the case, but it does give a welcomed break in positive g-forces.

The rotation near the ground is awesome, and you then fly-by and close-by the station.

There, you would expect the layout to slowly dies out and fades out... Nope, the next S-turn (again with an airtime slightly longer than the actual rotation) is once again an ejector just as powerful as the previous ones. Plus, you don't really see it coming, as it's hidden behind the station:

The onride picture is took right before the corkscrew. It's a linear corkscrew, instead of the shape found on Intamin and B&M which get tighter at the top. I honestly like that better. It's just fun to go through, you don't have to brass yourself fearing a lateral jerk. You can also feel rotational lateral forces (I guess?) as you are spinning around.

•  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

What I like about Lech's shaping, is how one element transition into the other: here, how the corkscrew carries on to the next turn. One might find it Newtony, I just find it well-polished.
    The banked hill offers a rather mild airtime compared to the other hills. You can catch a breath, and it's still not a dull element.

The last S-turn might look innocent. Do you believe me if I say it provides once again an ejector? Same for the hop on to the brakes. I'm not the biggest fan of tiny ejector hops, but at least Lech Coaster keeps you awake till the very end.

Here is my POV of the ride.

To sum up Lech Coaster in a few points:

- Smooth in every aspect. The layout has not a single jerk, the transition between negatives and positives is always smooth, and there is no point where your head wants to smash the side of the vest. It's also rolling nicely, but I would lie if I'd say Lech Coaster has no vibrations: it has some slight ones (the "worst" being the turn out of the station, really). It's akin to some Intamin and B&M I'd say. From my experience, Helix and Alpina Blitz got more vibrations than Lech. On these two coasters, it becomes a bit distracting, but not on Lech.

- Confortable. The train really is. Some Intamin suffers from the old train design (iSpeed...) that can make airtime or trnasitions not enjoyable. Luckily Lech is good there. Really good. The restraint is keeping you tight - for sure you'll be disappointed if you love the old OTSR where you have a three centimeters gap - but at least it's not hurting you, and does not get thighter during the layout despite the strong positive g forces.

- Newtony? I'd say yes and no. Let me explain that. Do the layout feels like it was made in ten minutes by a beginner, led by what the software was giving him? No, definitely no. Is it binary or bland? Heck no! I mean, each of us has its own preferences, and you'll only know when you ride it. But I'm getting a hard time picturing someone being bored during the ride. I felt like it has the perfect intensity, and in hindsight it's such a feat to design a layout this long without any dull parts, but still a few points to catch your breath.

Now it does somehow feel Newtony as the layout is really unorthodox from what we might be accustomed of. It is varied, each element is different and you go from one to another really quick. Hence why I think you don't get bored. It's the opposite of say, your typical B&M looper, where each element is really distinct, follows a specific order and you take time going throught those (the 6 second rule anyone? haha). For instance, I don't like cobra rolls (despite the figure being really nice from outside) because I somehow get bored at the middle of it. Like "ok, I get it... well, the other side, ok... come on...".
    I'm being a bit ludicrous on purpose right here, but that's to make a point: the layout of Lech Coaster feels fresh and dynamic.

-

There goes for my review of Lech Coaster, if there's anything else you want to know, feel free to ask. I wasn't expecting this to be that long, haha, but you guys really triggered me.

The bottom line is Lech Coaster is an amazing coaster to ride.
    Thanks for the in-depth review!

Random question: Do you know what those dolphin-like sounds are that are heard each time the train traverses the turn following the terminal brake run?
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

^ Oh yeah, those sea lion noises! Hahaha, very weird. You heard them pretty clearly in the queue line, as it goes underneath the brake run.

No I don't really know what is the cause, I'd say it's either the train axle or the pushing tires...
    Tho they were only audible the first day I went. The second day, the train was arriving slower on the brake run (or so I assume, it was fully braked before reaching the turn, unlike the first day) and it did not make the noises anymore.
    KingRCT3, you don't like cobra rolls...have you been on Robin Chiller, Alpengeist, Raptor or Ice Dragon? Those to me are amazing. Most others don't make it up to that level of quality and I can see what you're saying definitely.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

^If you're referring to Dragon Challenge, oh my lord the snapping is just flat out AMAZING.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2017 edited

I've only been on Dragon Challenge. (Also Kraken, Hulk, Dragon Khan, Altair, Katun and Vekoma boomerangs)

I must admit, the B&M at Orlando were my first big coasters and that was quite a long time ago. I don't remember the details too well, tho I dont think I particulary enjoyed the cobra roll. In general, I don't like snaps, so maybe that's why. The zero-g roll on Dragon wasn't my cup of tea neither for instance, as it just throws you on the harness and you don't get that nice floating effect like on say Black Mamba or Oziris.

On the other hand, rather recently I rode Batman La Fuga (a B&M Batman clone) and I liked the zero-g with all its laterals. That might be the only time I found that kind of thing fun.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCoolioJoe100
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2017 edited

^^^Oh man that's good to hear! I should be riding Alpengeist for the first time tomorrow!
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox

Alpengeist is my favorite invert just for the loop and cobra roll alone.
    • CommentAuthorJAKool

This is great and all, but where's the in-depth Soquet review?

I'm kidding of course, this looks like a great ride and I'm glad to hear you had a lot of fun on it. It could very well have turned out to be bland and not very exciting. Hopefully someday I can go ride it, or maybe we'll get one in America sometime.
    Great job king! If anyone has missed it the POV in the back seat is top notch quality, even has a pony tail to reference forces! hahaha
    • CommentAuthorcaptfido87
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2017

Mrcrolly: "If you're referring to Dragon Challenge, oh my lord the snapping is just flat out AMAZING."

Yes this!!! that's the reason I like the Hungarian Horntail side (Blue side) way better. That awesome snapping is what makes this one of the best inverts around. Now Montu takes that snap to an all new extreme with the batwing. Completely blew my mind. So freakin' awesome.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2017 edited

Posted By: JAKcoolThis is great and all, but where's the in-depth Soquet review?

Here we go.
    I still post this in the 2017 thread, as this coaster is feeling as fresh as ever.

The first thing you notice about the coaster, is the wonderful theming surrounding the ride.

Luckily, you have plenty of time to admire it as it is always closed during the morning. Smart!

The station is high in the sky as a metaphore: the ride is heaven.

In the future, you don't need no air-gates. Those are secured with Colson rings. A friendly employee will open you a small gate at the front of the station. How nice of him/her.

You knew it by now, but the ride has amazing restraints. No need to fiddle around and find the perfect position: it only got one!

At the end of the tour, the operator can (and will) release the restraint one by one by pressing the touch pedal on each carriage.

Would you look at how the chain dangle from the lift hill:

Anyway, the lift is really smooth, like the shaping is perfect. That pull-in, that straight part, that pull-out... Hmmm.

The first drop is ok in the front rows, but gets totally awesome in the back : they really played with the laterals, not like in Lech Coaster. It's quite subtle tho.

There are two loops for twice the fun.

Oh, I forgot to mention the "headrest" is really low: it ends below my neck (I'm 1.80m tall). How fun it is to risk beaking your neck in a looping! Too bad it didn't happened to me, and the loops went actually quite well.

Then, you thought the ride was over but NO. It got more! The extra bonus spirale will satisfy your needs in laterals and geniusly underbanked turns. The ride is certainly not binary! It's even THREE DIMENSIONAL as you smash your body onto the harness on the brake run.

#whatintheshed

Happy riders are coming back at the station:

I TOLD YOU IT'S A GOOD RIDE, SHE'S HAPPY.

I got you a full forward and backward POV, as well as the sequence where you can see me not touching the bar and going through the loops (getting serious a second, the only reason to try this coaster).
    • CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2017

It's a marvelous piece of engineering isn't it.
    Posted By: KingRCT3The first thing you notice about the coaster, is the wonderful theming surrounding the ride.

That's very nice of you to say. Leave it to Disney/Pixar to ruin the ride by removing all traces of Tic-Tac sponsored theming. Now it's just generically called "Tornado", ffs. First this, now GotG tower... wonder what's next to get trashed >:'(
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2017

Oh my god that's a genius marketing tactic... Plaster the tic tag logo in FOUR different spots all at the main entrance, just amazing.

It reminds me of the days in RCT3 when I was spamming billboards all around a certain area for shits n giggles, but only in real life LOL
    lmao can you imagine if it ends up stalling or crawling through the loops for whatever reason (e.g something jammed in the wheels/wheel disintegrating) that would be interesting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2017 edited