Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthornolimiters
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2017

Jungle Dragon POV @ Happy Valley Chongqing

GUYS, we can al sleep well tonight, GCI has re-discovered how to build a ride with proper airtime!
    This is how I like it, fast paced from the beginning till the end (especially the end)!
    •  
      CommentAuthorZergei
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2017

Whatever had them off their game had better stay away from them... That really makes up for it (and a day later!) in almost every respect!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2017 edited

That's more like it. Awesome looking ride. I seriously wonder if GCI was asked for something more reserved/family oriented for the Chengdu ride. They've built coasters almost half as small that look twice as fun.

this is all the airtime we will see for now... SW8 is coming up with just turns and nothing else.
    • CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2017

Clearly you've never been on a GCI
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox

It could be true that Chengdu asked for a more tamer ride with less airtime since there's an Intamin megalite in the same park but at the same time it's China so I wouldn't really bank on that. I honestly don't know what to think about the Chonqing ride. From what I've experienced GCI is not very good with straight airtime hills as they are all a bit lackluster compared to the transitions in and out of their turns.
    •  
      CommentAuthorskyasaurus

yeah but GCI transitions are HEAVENLY...the way Renegade throws you into the turn before the station fly-by is just awesome.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2017 edited

S&S changed the design of the bogie for their suspended Merlin's Mayhem. Instead of the regular two road wheels, we now have one road wheel:

It looks pretty weird, but ok.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGeCoDe
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2017

it´s just the first car that has 2 wheels
    https://gyazo.com/1e80ee014c1a1c1c325d6dfae58e8002
    you can see that in the photo from iaapa as well
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

Oh true that. I haven't noticed it beforehand, thanks for pointing that out. Well, it's still weird for a suspended!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorganFan

I think it looks cool. Surprised nobody's done that yet on a suspended coaster. Ought to do wonders for friction reduction as long as the chassis' clearances are fine and the connections are solid.
    • CommentAuthorMrRC
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2017 edited

Source : https://www.facebook.com/aapmac/posts/1076435789157609
    •  
      CommentAuthorZergei
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2017

The way S&S makes supports is just so strange lol
    • CommentAuthorMrRC

I agree with u, this is not the most appealing way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorskyasaurus

I didn't even know S&S made inverts or suspended coasters.
    • CommentAuthorJAKool

They didn't until this year.
    • CommentAuthorlore_sully
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2017 edited

I finally went to Kolmarden yesterday, and i rode Wildfire. What a ride! I fell in love with it.

The ride is quite far from the main entrance, it took our group 20 minutes to get there from the gates! The coaster is very cold in the early morning (like for the first hour), at least in this period (where temperature can reach 7-10°C in the night), so it's not as fast and forceful as you would expect. My very first ride was in the back row and there was only a small amount of ejector in the drop, and also the other camelbacks, transitions and elements where not very fast and forceful.

Anyway the ride warms up pretty quickly, and by the end of the day it becomes a crazy experience. In the afternon the ejector in the drop (in the last row) is very intense (it's like the one of El Toro's drop), so much more than in the morning! Also the other elements were taken a lot faster.
    The top gun stall is beautiful, it has a strong in and out transition and 3 seconds where you are upside down weightless. It was my first top gun and i loved it.

I did it 20 times yesterday (the wait was 0-10 minutes all day, and with only one train), and i think it's for sure the best wooden coaster in Europe (so much better than Balder) and in general one of the top coasters i've ever been on :D

Posted By: ZergeiThe way S&S makes supports is just so strange lol

I actually really quite like them. It seems like a good way to get the ride over the top of the chairlifts
    ^The way S&S connects their support beams together by having one end jut out perpendicular to the other support triggers me though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2017 edited

That's not that dumb in hindsight, that means the tube going through isn't cut at all, and benefit from the strenght of both sides of the bigger tube.
    And about the octopus helix, that's very clean on the ground, I like it actually.

Glad you enjoyed Wildfire lore_sully! I wasn't even sure if it was reopen or not.
    ^I wasn't really saying it's dumb, just that I don't like the look of it.
    • CommentAuthorDelay
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2017

^Me neither. It just looks weird.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

Yeah I get it - thought I think we can appreciate the beauty of things more when we understand them. I mean at least when it makes sense. :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox

• CommentAuthorMrRC

R.I.P. Dragon Challenge
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26

^^HAET

I'm sort of confused by what I'm seeing in that photo though. The shower of sparks and the guy in the mask make it look like they're doing destructive demolition, but, the already-removed piece in the lower right looks like it was taken apart carefully (i.e. preserving it for possible sale or relocation, which wouldn't be necessary if they were just scrapping it). Interesting.

Does anyone recall Hulk was disassembled carefully (vs... I dunno, plasma-torching it into manageable pieces) before being scrapped?

•  
      CommentAuthorintim305

I guess the fire dragon won the duel...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorganFan
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2017 edited

They could just be stripping the bolts off after they've likely become stuck or corroded after 18 years of pretty much constant use.
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2017 edited

WAIT NO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorskyasaurus
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2017

i would also assume the rails are welded together, correct?
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox

•  
      CommentAuthorDanSm1l3r

Saw it Tuesday and it's looking amazing :-D

On the topic of SW8, there's a new tagline to potentially be associated with the theme, having been spotted on a board in The Welcoming scaremaze, saying 'FEED THE FLAMES'. Definitely got me excited for the maze and the ride!
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTime5 days ago edited

The video is as bad as the coaster is good: DC Rivals backseat (forward) POV
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly
    • CommentTime5 days ago

Am I the only one that thinks SW8 looks rather boring? Don't know much of what I'm seeing here, but seems like it has potential to be one of the weaker GCI's, and don't get me started on the ugly ass lift.
    Posted By: MrcrollyAm I the only one that thinks SW8 looks rather boring?

No
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26
    • CommentTime4 days ago edited

DC Rivals actual POV.

Finally a video that's not sped up... even though it this video seems to be filmed on an HD potato that's dropping frames left and right. Killer ride though. Love what Mack's doing these days.

edit: also a POV from the rear/rear-facing seats

Am I the only one that thinks SW8 looks rather boring?

I'm just withholding judgement til more of the ride is built or otherwise revealed. I'm torn between thinking it looks kinda meh, and feeling like I should trust Alton Towers to not build a meh ride.

• CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTime4 days ago edited

^ And it's ours! Muahahaha!
    No, seriously, i encourage anyone here if you can, to come over to Australia and check out DC Rivals after it opens. And possibly tell me what it's like, lol. Cause i'm not sure when i'll be able to get up there to do so myself.

Thanks for finding and posting that vid, BB.
    •  
      CommentAuthoriSatnav
    • CommentTime4 days ago

Holy crap Mack is going to have a solid couple of years, what with DC Rivals, Time Traveller and arguably Icon although to a lesser degree. Probably a top coaster on my bucket list now, alongside Taron.