Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorjamiechi
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2015 edited

This steel coaster was made by following TheCodeMaster's second coaster tutorial.

Coaster name: Steel (probably change later)
    Coaster Type: B&M steel?
    Environment by: 6FlagsManiac

This coaster took me over 12 hours to do while following the tutorial.
    Constructive criticism welcome. This is still a work in progress.
    I could mostly use help with the shaping of the elements.
    I'll add scenery and do some terrain stuff later.
    (Might need some more work on the supports.)

Cobra Roll side view (coaster probably a bit too slow at the top)

Cobra Roll back view

Loop and Lift

Dive Loop?

Spiral (probably a bit squashed vertically)

Overall view

More pictures and package file.

Jamie
    I can't see any of your pictures...
    •  
      CommentAuthorjamiechi
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2015 edited

^ I am using Firefox 40, Firefox Developer 42, and IE 11. Works fine for me.
    I did have a problem a while ago with seeing Google Drive stuff (in Firefox) and fixed it by deleting the Google cookies in Firefox.
    Edit: I have also found that this forum sometimes takes awhile to refresh images from Onedrive and Google drive.
    I can see the pictures just fine.

Cobra roll: I don't really know enough about them to comment.

Lift and loop: Lift, pre-drop and drop all look pretty good, though another angle of the drop might help. The loop is way too circular if you're going for the classic B&M style. If you want it to be more of a hang time loop then it looks OK, although maybe still a little too circular. Did you make it with the in-built element formula or is it handbuilt?

Dive loop: The loop part of the dive loop again looks a little too circular, though it could be the angle. Use the radius comb and try to make sure it steadily decreases from the top to the bottom of the loop. It also looks like it banks a little too early. The banking shouldn't quite reach the full 180 degrees until just after the apex of the loop. I normally set a roll node at the apex of around 150 degrees, with the banking reaching the full 180 about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way down the loop.

Spiral: This is supposed to be a corkscrew-type element I suppose? If so, it is definitely too 'squashed vertically'. As it is now, it looks like it would produce some uncomfortable lateral forces. If you want to go the extra mile, use the radius comb again to make sure the radius is a little tighter at the top than it is at the bottom, this will give it the classic 'snap' that B&M corkscrews have.

Zero-g roll: This looks like it is too drawn out and the hill is not steep enough. Check the G force comb to see if it actually provides 0 G throughout. I haven't downloaded the coaster and checked myself, but the exit of the roll looks really weird and as though it doesn't provide any airtime at all. If you wanted to make it more true to B&M then I would probably also move the roll nodes closer together, particularly the top few, again to give it that characteristic 'snap'.

Whilst some elements of the shaping do look off, the track as a whole looks very smooth so nice job on that! Hope that all made sense and hope it helps :)

Apart from shaping, the layout has a nice sequence of elements with natural, flowing transitions. It does seem like it is just inversion after inversion, which isn't necessarily a bad thing for a looper, but a few other hills/turns in there might have been nice IMO.
    Both the brake segments look too short to me and it seems you have plenty of room in the layout to make them longer without changing too much else. Since you included an MCBR I must assume you are planning on running two trains; in this case, you could replace the final brake segment just before the station with a transfer table with a storage track and shed behind. The MCBR should also angle slightly downwards so that in the case of a complete stop, it can get rolling by itself without the need for transports. The same can be said for the brake segment you have just before the final turn into the station, although that appears to be angled already. (Again, I didn't download and check myself but from the photos the MCBR doesn't look as though it angles downwards).
    •  
      CommentAuthorjamiechi
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2015

^ Thanks. Everything was handbuilt, following the instructions of the tutorial. The loop had more of a teardrop shape, then I used the 'depump vertices' button and that rounded the loop. I'll work more on the others.
    I am having trouble with many of the elements deforming too much with 'depump vertices'.
    ^ No problem. Yeh that's a disadvantage of the depump tool. What sometimes works is to accentuate the teardrop shape (make it more eccentric than you actually want it to be) before depumping, then after depumping it should still retain some of the teardrop shape. Another option is to manually depump it as much as possible using the radius comb as a guide, before using the depump tool. If the element is already pretty smooth then the depump tool won't change it's shape as much.
    The fact that your loop looks like it might have been built using the in-built formula is testament to how symmetrical it is so well done on that, I sometimes have trouble making my loops perfectly symmetrical.

Also I assume the supports are not final? The dive loop looks very under supported to me at the moment!

Btw I edited my first post to include a little more feedback.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjamiechi

^
    Brake before station:
    There is a brake section just before the station. The screen shots I supplied probably don't show it. The last one has the motors enabled.

Other brake sections:
    The second to last brake section has a slope of about 1m in 40m. Probably too shallow? I'll have a look at the first one.
    (MCBR - Mid Coarse Brake Run. Just learned what that was.)

Sequence of elements:
    I agree, some simple hills, more turns, and spreading stuff out a bit might work better. I am using this coaster to learn to shape elements, so I followed the TheCodeMaster's tutorial pretty close.
    After I get the element shaping down, I'll make another park and apply your suggestion. I will probably tackle terraforming then as well.

P.S. I also learned how to use tunnels to check for interferences when parts of one track goes close to another. (Found in another thread.)

Thanks again. :)
    ^ Yeh I looked again and noticed the final brake section just before the station, didn't notice it at first as there were no catwalks like the other brakes. I edited my first post again after I looked more closely and realised. I also edited it to say you could use a transfer table in place of those final brakes to allow you to store trains off of the track for when they aren't in use.

Also looked again and noticed that the second brake segment already has a reasonable slope on it and should be fine so my bad. The first brake segment (the MCBR) does look a little flat in the photos though. An easy way to check the brake runs is to temporarily tick the 'complete stop' box in the section settings and then look at the speed comb to see if the trains gets rolling after a complete stop. You can also use this technique with a combination of the speed and G force combs to see if the train makes it safely through the rest of the layout if it stops at the MCBR. Make sure to untick the 'complete stop' box after you're done though!
    Another little tip; a good way to check the slope of a straight section of track (if you don't like counting grid squares haha) is to use the g force comb to see what the positive g force is and then use trigonometry (inverse cosine in this case) to calculate the angle. It's useful to check the angle of a lift but doesn't really help with brake runs as they are normally so shallow that the game just rounds the positive g force up to 1.

Yeh I get that this was more about practicing your track work than creating a great layout. Like I said though, it's not a bad layout by any means.

Yep that's called the tunnel test. Another (probably better, although more difficult) way to check for interference is by attaching a clearance object to the train and observing it go through the layout. You can do this by placing the scenery object (I believe it is called 'Clearance Envelope' and can be found in the 'Demo Objects' folder of the game library) next to one of your trains. Then just freeze the coaster and watch it in play mode - if the orange object clips through any track/supports/trees etc. then you have an issue. This method can get complicated when there are multiple blocks/coasters involved however, as you have to account for clearance for two trains at the same time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjamiechi

Cool. Plenty of stuff to work on, and lot's of very helpful tips. :)>
    Another thing that i do to maintain the shape of elements is, before depumping, insert some more vertices so there is less space between them, then the shape will be less affected when you depump the element. In some extreme cases i had over 70 vertices for an overbank, with that many depumping takes a while but the final shaping hardly changes at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjamiechi

^ I noticed in the German tutorials, they used a lot more vertices.