Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

I know all of us here on the forum know a ton more about roller coasters than the average amusement park goer, so I figure I'd start a thread in which we could share what OTHER people think about roller coasters.

For example, I was in line for Medusa at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom the other day, when Estop was activated and a train stopped on the MCBR (happened twice that day). A group of girls behind me and complained about the roller coaster getting stuck. When they noticed a park employee climbing up the spiral stairs to let the riders on the train know what had happened, on of the girls said, "Ugh, why did they only put stairs there? I mean, why didn't they put stairs on the loop and stuff? The roller coaster could get stuck upside down too, you know..."

Right. Because gravity could suddenly decide to pack up and stop working one of these days. Good to know.
    I should have said...
    That's pure scientist there girls ;)
    • CommentAuthorPlantoris
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2015

didn't a coaster get stuck upside-down on a loop just this year?
    Yep. Can't remember the name of the coaster. But if I remember right so was it a looping shuttle coaster
    Yes, I do realize coasters have gotten stuck on loops before, but that tends to happen with longer trains, smaller loops, etc. This is a B&M floorless coaster we're talking about here.

No train is EVER going to get stuck on this loop:
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox

Didn't a train stall on a B&M loop before?
    • CommentAuthorPePpO

Yes, I don't remember the name, but I think it was a B&M inverted coaster.
    i was once told that oblivion at alton towers has rocket jets on the back of the trains.
    • CommentAuthorJAKool

Does it not?
    •  
      CommentAuthorzampano

You should come to germany and ride silver star, because it travels at 500 kilometers per hour. But If you're unlucky and a power breakdown occurs during the ride, you might stop upside down in one of the 15 loops.

Heard all of that and much more like it in line waiting for rollercoasters.. Some people really don't have any clue (of anything) :D
    Nope they really don't know anything.

They slow the train down in its first drop.

Well I didn't know that they could slow down the trains on Balder X)
    •  
      CommentAuthorKWTbolt

I've been told that they stopped making coasters with double dips because they're unsafe due to the train coming off the track in the second dip. Yep ... That happens
    i have heard people claim that someone got decapitated by the blades an saw the ride
    •  
      CommentAuthorBolt789

As I was getting onto Banshee, a 12 year old kid told me that he lived near Kings Island and saw someone die on the ride the previous day. "Don't put your arms up," he said. "The guy had his arms cut off and died from blood loss."
    •  
      CommentAuthormcrc.2305

i heard someone say that dragon challenge goes upside down 20 times a second.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorganFan

According to guests at Valleyfair, they don't make roller coasters anymore. The last roller coaster ever made on earth was Renegade in 2007. :(
    Unfortunately I can't remember any examples, but I've been in so many of those situations xD
    It's like when people ask if a tiny coaster goes upsidedown (notably X at Thorpe). Or, even worse, a big coaster that you can clearly see.

One thing I can mention is that my mum (or mom for you 'muricans) has the inability to count the number of seats wide a coaster train is. Even when the coaster's right there she'll ask if it's 2 or 4 (in the UK there's rarely more or less than that).
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

Ugh, the same thing I hear 30x over waiting for WC. There's a sign that says 'Wind Speeds: 200Mph'... For some reason absolutely every GP assumes that's how fast the ride goes.. A 100 ft roller coaster... 200Mph..
    "Air (Alton Towers) used to be a roller coaster like nemesis but they changed the seats because nemesis was so close to it"

-_-
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox

Posted By: MorganFanAccording to guests at Valleyfair, they don't make roller coasters anymore. The last roller coaster ever made on earth was Renegade in 2007. :(

The might still make coasters, but Valleyfair is never getting a new one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcrider4

Having been a ride op for a coaster, I've heard just about everything. But what shocks me most is when people stick more people in a row than will fit, and then instead of someone in a neighboring row if some of their party can switch with them, or going back and redistributing themselves, they will just bolt out when the gates open and run into someone else's row. And then we have to go over and explain to them why that's not OK, and then half of the time they don't speak English and it either turns into a mimefest or the poor people that got skipped give up and let them have the row. I just don't understand how they lack the capacity to just look at either the markings on the floor or at the coaster car directly in front of them and figure it out for themselves.
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox

When I was at CW some guy went in the Fastlane line for Leviathan without a Fast Lane pass and argued with the op for like 10 minutes about why he should be let in even though he didn't wait the 1 and a half hours like everyone else did lol.
    These are hilarious guys! Thanks for the chuckles.

I went to Cedar Point a couple months ago and I cannot tell you how many people were saying that Rougarou was a completely new coaster, "they had to make a new track and everything." Cracked me up.
    ^I keep on hearing that while in line for Rougarou. xD
    All these are hilarious. I wish I could recall some of them that I heard working at Lagoon for 5 years as a Ride Supervisor but yeah peoples perception to rides so so wack sometimes, well all the time when its the GP!
    another thing i have heard is that rollercoasters can cause serious brain damage in later life
    • CommentAuthorTheBeatles
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2015

A lot of these are just common misconceptions about roller coasters, not really something to laugh at people for.

For instance, rebranding a ride (Rougarou) isn't that popular of a concept. Six Flags has done it a few times, and Cedar Fair once. People that don't sit down and read about what CP did could very easily assume it's a completely new ride. I still have friends that don't know X was the same ride as X2 is. Regarding that remark about Air being converted from an invert to a flyer, CP just did that with Mantis. Again, not a completely crazy thought to have.

Not everyone is an enthusiast. Sure, there will always be bizarre misconceptions, but not everyone spends their days thinking about coasters. Just remember that before you say something snobby to someone who not have as much coaster knowledge as yourself.

I still learn new things about rides every day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2015 edited

^ The GP may not be enthusiasts, but they don't do research and they can make up, and spread whatever facts that they may think are true. Googling something isn't hard to do, and lots of people never bother to. They just make up or hear some stupid fact and pass it off as truth.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

Can I talk about the time where I hitched a row with some lady for WC, and she told me she was an engineer (or in her words 'Builds Coasters)... When I asked which manufacturer and rides, she said Intamin and started to name off B&M and Premier rides, with the exclusion of naming Fahrenheit... I kept my comments to myself but man, did I cringe...

In other words, there's people who literally won't let go of their own 'facts'... I've definitely had people argue with me when trying to explain to them if they are wrong about something. One of the biggest is how rides that make you come out of your seat are unsafe because apparently the bottom wheels on a train don't exist. (Having a brainfart, can't remember the name of the bottom set).
    • CommentAuthorJAKool

Something like the Rougarou conversion is entirely understandable. GP don't remember the layouts of rides to heart, maybe the person who said that has only been to the park a few times. The colors and trains are different, and that's basically the extent of how GP recognize coasters.

That said, thinking that Green Lantern and Riddler's Revenge are the same coaster is unforgivable, lady behind me in line.
    Posted By: MrcrollyCan I talk about the time where I hitched a row with some lady for WC, and she told me she was an engineer (or in her words 'Builds Coasters)... When I asked which manufacturer and rides, she said Intamin and started to name off B&M and Premier rides, with the exclusion of naming Fahrenheit... I kept my comments to myself but man, did I cringe...

In other words, there's people who literally won't let go of their own 'facts'... I've definitely had people argue with me when trying to explain to them if they are wrong about something. One of the biggest is how rides that make you come out of your seat are unsafe because apparently the bottom wheels on a train don't exist. (Having a brainfart, can't remember the name of the bottom set).

Safety wheels or AKA Up Stop Wheels
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

^When you say that, do you mean as in mistaking the name? Or literally thinking it's two of the exact same rides?
    • CommentAuthorjdmi012

Once when I was in line for Goliath, a girl in front of me saw the train go through the zero-g stall and said to her friend, "how are they not falling out?" I really don't expect the GP to actually do their research because their interests lie elsewhere. I really don't see the point in arguing with them.
    • CommentAuthorJAKool

Literally thinking they're the same ride Crolly. She pointed to Riddler and said "That's part of Green Lantern"
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

I would have to leave the queue because my insides would explode from the amount of cringing. I mean... That's a whole other level of stupidity... Did she think that the ride was a transformer? And when the train dissapeared from sight it would magically appear on the lift of the zacspin?? I mean I want to know her logic behind that.
    @TheBeatles. This thread was not meant to be condescending in any way towards non-enthusiasts. Fact is, in the situation where people thought Rougarou was a new ride, I would often politely correct them, tell them what Cedar Fair actually did, and most of the time they would be more intrigued by the concept of rebranding than building a whole new ride.

So essentially, I just like hearing what other people assume about coasters, but in no way am I calling them dumb. I recognize that memorizing park layouts and coaster elements is a little obsessive, and certainly don't hold everyone to those same standards. :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcrider4

Posted By: ParadoxWhen I was at CW some guy went in the Fastlane line for Leviathan without a Fast Lane pass and argued with the op for like 10 minutes about why he should be let in even though he didn't wait the 1 and a half hours like everyone else did lol.

Oh God, the amount of times I had to deal with that is unreal. I still remember one guy in particular tried every single excuse he could think of for why he should be in that line without a pass, and I simply explained to him on each point how that couldn't happen with how we operate. He eventually started trying to bribe me, then bargaining with me, then asking me to let him slide, then started begging, then eventually after like 5 minutes relented and said "Well it was worth a try, right?" I wanted to punch him so hard.

Posted By: UtahCoasterRiderSafety wheels or AKA Up Stop Wheels

AKA Uplift Wheels
    •  
      CommentAuthoriSatnav

Some bloke at Gardaland decided to purchase an express pass for Raptor, get told exactly where to queue and then spentd a good 30 mins in the single rider queue, which was obviously sign posted as such. That was an amusing conversation...
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

Posted By: TheBeatlesA lot of these are just common misconceptions about roller coasters, not really something to laugh at people for.

Indeed, and there is no harm at saying "oh look, Rougarou is a new ride". But saying "Did you know Rougarou is a new coaster, I saw them making a brand new track, and they even added a corkscrew because my dad work at the NASA and it's them that build the rides here" is a whole new level. I mean, it's ok to not know everything, but don't MAKE UP facts and try to be smart-ass! Or we'll make fun of you... x)
    "Cant believe Alton towers copied Disney with the castle!"
    •  
      CommentAuthornolimiters

The Colorado Adventure (The Michael Jackson Thrill Ride), was build and designed by Michael Jackson
    ^Nope Michael Jackson only Opened the ride with his Kids ;) Also he gave the ride the name.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

^^ And Mercedes built Silverstar.
    •  
      CommentAuthornolimiters

Hé, not my words lol.
    ^^ Oh really xD LOL
    •  
      CommentAuthorBrett-Jones

"the brakes on the trains that are supposed to stop the smiler on the loop didnt work..."

this was in news papers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

A little bit off topic, but I heard that yesterday on Periscope while watching the Main Street Electrical Parade:

"I want to be a ferry!"

I lol'd.
    • CommentAuthorcaptfido87
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2015

@JetstreamCoasters, Plantoris, JL NoLimits, PePpO: The Coaster you guys are thinking about is The Demon at Six Flags Great America. This is the only coaster in the world to ever get stuck upside down. A rear set of wheels somehow broke off and it was the axel just dragging against the track. This apparently caused so much friction that the train literally stopped upside down on the second loop. The major problem from this was the fact that there was nowhere to get a fire truck right in there; so some people got stuck up side down for nearly 3 hours while they removed everyone one at a time. This happened right around '97 or '98. No B&M has ever gotten stuck upside, likely as JetstreamCoasters' pointed out, that due to the weird ellipse shape of the loop. A train would just roll backwards or forwards. Unlike Arrow loops which were roughly 75% a circle on top.

There's your history lesson for the day.

My Favorite response from gp is that their restraints opened up on the ride and they had to hold on for dear life. Especially flyers like Superman. My own aunt even tried to convince me that it happened to a friend of her's on there. I'm Just like "ok I work this ride, I know the mechanics of the restraints. I know that's physically impossible to happen. Please stop trying to convince me". lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2015 edited

^ The Sirocco (now Turbine - wait, now Psyche Underground) also stuck upside down. A mechanical piece of the launch broke and sent the train with such a speed that it stucks on the return trip in the loop.

Also, I just found this gem :

"'I thought I was going to die': Woman stuck upside down on rollercoaster suffering flashbacks" from this article.

So add Mumbo Jumbo to the list of coasters that stuck upside down. And I think at a time a Golden Horse suspended coaster was stuck in the cobra roll due to strong wind, and part of the train was hanging upside down.

Side note: I fail to see how the shape of a loop can prevent stalling issues.
    I also think the shaping of the loop is irrelevant to its ability to get a train stuck. What is far more relevant is the ratio of the train's length to the diameter of the loop. For example, the speed at which a B&M floorless train would have to achieve to get stuck would be so incredibly precise that a gust of wind could easily roll it one way or the other.

However, on an arrow train, where the train length covers nearly half of the length of the loop (as shown below), the likelihood of stalling on a loop would be much higher. This would be especially true if the car was more heavily weighted in the front and back. Think of it like a towel draping over a towel rack.