Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorlore_sully
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2015

There's also Jubilee Odyssey (vekoma) at Fantasy Island that used to stuck upside down due to poor design issues: Video of Jubilee Odyssey stuck . They had to redesign that part of the track and change the trains.

Anyway, to go back in topic:

"Blu Tornado (vekoma slc) goes at mach 2"
    • CommentAuthorlujach92
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2015 edited

@ JetstreamCoasters: I think you're right about in when saying a longer train is more likeley to stall on a loop. Let's reduce the train to a single point, its center of mass. At the very top of the loop this point lies in a "unstable equilibrium" how it's beeing called in mechanics. This means that the point won't move without help from outside, but if the point gets deflected in any direction in won't return to its original position. So, in theory there is only a single position for that point to "get stuck", but in reality there is friction. That friction causes the single position where the center of mass has to be to so that it won't move by itself to widen to a certain range. So, every train could possibly get stuck upside down on a loop, even if the preobability is very low. Now, if the train is longer the center of mass will be closer to the pivot of the curve of the loop's radius and - as you said - this effect increases when front and back of the train are loaded havier than the middle part. A shorter distance between the center of mass and the pivot of the curve will make deflictions of the center of mass affect the torque relevant to the curve's pivot less than when the distance is longer. In other words, its easier for the longer train (with its center of mass closer to the pivot) to get stuck than it is for a shorter train (compared to the loop's size).

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

And some more physics about coasters, not heard by the GP but sawe a while ago printed in a magazine wherer a doctor tried to explain coaster physics, I think this makes it even more sad than hearing something like this from the GP (which wouldn't be that of a big deal since not everyone knows physics): He stated that as the coaster proceeds down the drop it loads with force more and more and this force gets "released" at the bottom of the drop. Therefore, he said, a tall coaster will always be more forceful than a lower one (which makes it more dangerous and you shouldn't ride, lol^^).
    To be fair, Stealth got stuck on it's top hat that one time. Isn't it basically the same kind of physics involved?
    •  
      CommentAuthoriSatnav

A lot of Intamin accelerators get stuck on the top. My thought is, though, if you get everyone to push forward, it will get the train moving again because the equilibrium would be easily broken. Would this work?
    • CommentAuthorHooch

Getting everyone to rock forwards and back in their seat might do it.
    Pushing forward on the seat in front of you, not so much :)

getting a train full of half terrified people to flap their arms might be funny though when seen from below.
    Probably would (I can't imagine it'd be held by much friction), but it'd be a bit weird to get everyone to do it in time :P
    •  
      CommentAuthoriSatnav

^^That's what I meant, not pushing, I just couldn't think of a way to say it. It would be pretty funny, though.
    • CommentAuthorlujach92

@ Coasterfan312: Yes, it's exactly the same physics. Rocking forwards and backwards could probably work as it's working perfectly in theory, but I don't think that would work in the most cases irl since the mass of the train and thus the inertia is very big. You also have to take into account that, once the train came to a halt you have to overcome the so called starting resistance first (I hope that's the correct english term for it) which is higher than the actual friction the train has when in motion. Other things like flattening of the wheels at the contact with the rails ect also relsult in additional obstacles that need to be overcome. But tbh I don't have any idea how strong that imbalance could get if you get all riders rocking synchronized. Would be quite fun to test it out.
    I just heard that smilers cars fell off in a crash while queueing for oblivion
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

These guys tried to rock back and forth to release the train, and it's hilarious! But see how they struggle, and it's only a one-car train. From all the story of stucked trains, I don't remember any that were successfully being put back to motion by guests themselves. And sometimes they stayed up here for hours...
    ^ OK I lol'd, nice find haha.
    •  
      CommentAuthorR3 Studios

^^ I haven't laughed this hard in a while, that's amazing
    •  
      CommentAuthorProjektion

On the topic of the Intamin accelerators stalling at the top, I always wondered why Intamin never just put a retractable friction wheel or something at the top of the tower to push the train on it's way on the off chance that the train does come to a stop up there.
    ^Perhaps due to maintenance issues?
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

Cost vs. how often this happens.
    • CommentAuthorsprog

Haha that video was brilliant, King! Nice to see such an idea does work in practice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBolt789

Just saw it now, can't stop laughing
    • CommentAuthorHooch
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2015

Thanks KingRCT3.
    That video was hilarious
    I would have edited that with some nice Heavy metal music though. To go with the Head Banning and all :))))
    It wasn't a new video to me but I still love it!
    Lets keep this going guys! While at CP, I had my friend tell me that someone was decapitated by one of the supports on Corkscrew.

...needless to say I kindly explained what clearance envelopes were
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcrider4
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2015

I was told Phoenix at BGT got stuck upside down by a friend of mine. I've also heard the net on it is there to keep people that fall out of the restraint from falling off the ride from people I have sat next to.
    While having to operate at Carolina Cobra last weekend there were a group of girls waiting in the station in the front. As the train sped through the station and went through the Cobra Roll, the track & supports started shaking a bit. 2 of them noticed it and started freaking out screaming "THIS ROLLER COASTER IS NOT SAFE! IT'S SHAKING." I literally had to explain over the microphone that all roller coasters shake slightly to remain stable when the train passes by otherwise the track and supports would have cracks so they would calm down.
    • CommentAuthorsprog
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2015

I think the best one I've heard is that colossus and Saw at Thorpe Park are rough because they're sinking into the mud at the bottom of the lake, and that the park confirmed the same thing will happen to Swarm within a year.
    ^ Wtf. I'd love to ask someone who said that to explain the logic behind it.
    This showed up on my news feed out of the blue...

A dude tries to explain the concept of Twisted Colossus and doesn't do a terrible job at it. The girl on the other hand... *facepalm*
    Honestly, she's so confused about it that I don't even get what she's confused about. Like, what is she saying.
    I think she's more confused about the racing aspect than anything else. Of course though she had to say "Well that's cheating!" at the end of it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcrider4
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2015

I just get an error when I try to view that site on any device. Did this afternoon too.
    Oh yeah, even I get it now. You didn't miss out on too much, don't worry :P
    • CommentAuthorInkyz
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2015

•  
      CommentAuthorRG100
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2015

Ive been told that Nemesis Inferno reaches speeds of 90mph and is the same model as vampire...
    •  
      CommentAuthorRCF
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2015

Not only is the grammar horrible, but they clearly don't know what they're talking about here. Wow.

Since when was Wicked Twister the tallest and fastest in the world? But wait, Kingda Ka is the talles and fastest in North America. Wait, ah, ah....
    •  
      CommentAuthorBolt789

^"10 most dangerous roller coasters in the world" lol k
    •  
      CommentAuthorminuseven

Seriously, what does that even mean? Especially since they didn't even describe what made the coasters "dangerous".

I was totally expecting them to say that since Wicked Twister isn't a complete circuit, the train can fly off the tracks! Speaking of Wicked Twister...

Enki VillageThis roller coaster is believed to be tallest and fastest roller coaster in the world till date

lolwut
    •  
      CommentAuthorraptoralex

That appears to have been written by someone who learned English as a second language. "Dangerous" is likely a mistranslation from "scariest" or something similar. Doesn't seem like a big deal to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2015

^Agreed, I commonly know people who use dangerous as a term for something being scary (of course foreigners), but it's definitely a huge misconception.
    I had a discussion with a member of the GP about Twisted Colossus and she claimed it didn't exist because it burnt down and she saw it burn down. I had to show her a video to finally win lol. Made me laugh. She was dead set on that it burnt down. I explained how it did catch fire but didn't burn down.
    •  
      CommentAuthorminuseven
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2015

I know 99% of people in amusement parks don't know much at all about roller coasters, but just listening to some of the assumptions they make about them ticks me off.

Every damn time I get in line for Vortex (Canada's Wonderland), there's some girl on her phone asking her friend "Does this roller coaster have a loop-de-loop"?

Or maybe I feel like going on Backlot Stunt Coaster. "Is it really that tall?", pointing to Behemoth, looming over the short little coaster we're lining up for.

It's not even their fault too. They don't have any need to know anything more about coasters besides the fact that they're fun to ride. It doesn't annoy me any less though. I think it would be like someone talking to their soccer fan friend about the best players in the sport. "What team is Beckham on now? I bet he's on Manchester or something."
    ^That last bit, made me chuckle... HoHoHo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAJClarke0912
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2016 edited

Okay I normally don't post comments on things like this because 1) it makes you look like a dork and 2) nobody cares anyway, but I felt compelled to regardless.

Why do people waste their time just to make s**t up about things they don't know about, I honestly don't understand. Like why bother commenting at all lol.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCG Coasters
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2016 edited

It's like gold dust they get it from a volcano.