Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorBye Tom
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2015

cosanta2

Cosanta Pier & Island

----

I always wanted to build a park with NoLimits. To me, the most fascinating part of coasters and parks have never really been
    the technical stuff or the exact track shaping. Even though I enjoy coasters (particularly back when I was younger) what fascinated
    me the most was how they integrated into the park. It's the diversity of how coasters can be designed that makes it so satisfying
    to see them as parts of something larger. And so naturally, compact parks have always been my favourite, with rides that
    are forced to conform to small spaces or cleverly interact with the layout of the park. This is why I'm building a pier.

The setting for the park is in western America, something along the lines of California. I'm hoping to make it an interesting mix
    of more traditional pier architecture with some areas that may look more like regular parks. This is why I fell on a terrain which
    allowed for a pier styled bridge leading to an island, with perhaps more pier structures leading out from there. We'll see how far
    I get with the project. After all, I don't really have a track record of finishing things.

• CommentAuthorBye Tom
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2015 edited

Update #1

You may have seen some of this project in my 3D modeling thread. If so, this may not be a huge update.
    I've showed you before the unfinished environment and surroundings, with the background mountains,
    island and stone pier on which the park will be located.

cosanta5

Just finishing smething huge irl, I've found myself with more free time than earlier the summer. I wanted
    to see if I could get somewhere with this project, and the first thing I finished was the park entrance.
    From here, the park will grow. Even though I've worked for a while on the surroundings, this sort of
    marks a real beginning of the project.

cosanta1
    Oooh.. I'm interested!
    Oh my God. That entrance looks good
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorganFan

I like it a lot! Very eerie.
    • CommentAuthorsprog

Tom, you're too good at this.
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan

Make sure you back this up.
    Awesome! Is your flying coaster going to be in this park?
    I mean, seriously this could be the best park EVER in NL2 :c
    • CommentAuthorBye Tom

I'm glad you guys like the looks of it so far,
    even though it's just an entrance at this point.

AJClarke: Nope, that's still a separate project.
    It's the opposite of compact. I placed it at the island at one point just to see the scale of things, and it occupies basically all of it.
    • CommentAuthornSeven
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2015

Friggen gorgeous...hope you make good use of the new dual UV map support - this with an ambient occlusion map would look stunning!
    • CommentAuthorBye Tom
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2015 edited

Update #2

I've finally found some time to work on this!
    This isn't a huge update, but at least it serves to show that the thing isn't dead.

There's a new building and half a plaza.
    Perhaps more interestingly, I made some small decal objects.
    Just simple planes with some decal textures on them. It does a load for realism and for that bit of a grungy, real look.
    I've already had a ton of use for them, so perhaps it's something I could make into a 3D set.

Anyhow, a few pictures:

cosanta13

cosanta12

cosanta11
    • CommentAuthorTheBeatles
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2015

I feel like you're sacrificing a few too many polys. The buildings look great, don't get me wrong, I love the look you're going for. The facades just seem to present a very flat look.

Outstanding job with the mood and environment
    This looks beautiful... but i agree with TheBeatles.

Wo can i get this beautiful Enviroment :D
    ^^ you ever heard of good optimizing? I don't really see a problem in those 3d objects.

@Bye Tom, I think that you have done a great job with those buildings. But the park hasn't anything in it yet so I can't say much :)
    • CommentAuthormuchwoo
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2015

I like a lot this pics!
    Really great optimization and cool use of textures, can't wait to see more.
    I personally would rather have the 2d facades so i can actually run the park when its released, i dont think they look too bad either, really great atmosphere in this park, keep it up!!
    • CommentAuthorJAKool

They do look a little flat, but not enough so it ruins it. Almost reminds me of a movie set or something. Looks awesomely real though, can't wait to see what you put in it.
    • CommentAuthorBye Tom

Yeah, I think adding a few more polygons to the new building would be worthwile.
    After all, it stands next to five 100+ polygon palm trees. So a couple of polygons for the building does make sense. I just got lazy, or something. Not sure
    •  
      CommentAuthordapalm

^ If I were you I would use those buildings for the lowest LoD and make a more detailed one to display when you're next to it.

Btw, how do you make that fog seen in some pictures? It looks like part of the .env.

Everything is looking fantastic! I'm also a park man, so I'm definetly interested :)
    • CommentAuthorBye Tom

There's not really any big trick or secret to it.
    Perhaps a bit of luck.

It's a very very light fog and I made sure to set the colour so that the mountains in the distance tended against the colours of the clouds in the skymap. This means that the fog is a bit grayish and slightly towards blue.
    • CommentAuthorBye Tom
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2015 edited

Update #3

Tiny update again, and it's buildings - again.
    I added another and added some polys to the red stucco one.
    Mostly I took some screenshots I was happy with.

Also, I was thinking I'd let over the coasters to those of you that are better than me with that.
    Since I'm sure many would find a park template with a site for a coaster to be fun,
    I'm thinking I'll try to get that first site ready, and I could put it out there for everyone to play around with.
    Whoever designs something I really like, I'd keep it in the park.
    But, this is of course assuming there's an interest for it. What do you think?

cosanta16

cosanta17

cosanta15

cosanta14
    I LOOOOOVE IT. It's beautiful!
    • CommentAuthordct2012
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2015

I second what Muffin said! It looks AMAZING!!!

-Dechlave
    Texturing really is everything to a scene. Looks great..
    •  
      CommentAuthorKWTbolt
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2015 edited

Posted By: Bye Tom

Update #3

Also, I was thinking I'd let over the coasters to those of you that are better than me with that.
    Since I'm sure many would find a park template with a site for a coaster to be fun,
    I'm thinking I'll try to get that first site ready, and I could put it out there for everyone to play around with.
    Whoever designs something I really like, I'd keep it in the park.
    But, this is of course assuming there's an interest for it. What do you think?

I'd consider building a woodie for this if you're interested in one of my styling (and if I have time). Love the project so far! The atmosphere is very cool!
    • CommentAuthorarktic2

im up for trying my hand at a coaster for this :)
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan

I can build a nice jet coaster or wooden classic coaster that goes out over the pier.
    •  
      CommentAuthorUncleArly

Yeah, I like that idea. I'd give it a go.
    I would love to have a shot. You tell us what sort of thing you want (almost like another competition) and the best one wins xD
    You know what i am going to say.... :D I say YES!
    •  
      CommentAuthorintim305

I would totally make any kind of coaster for this. please do it!
    That's actually a really good idea. I'd give it a shot.
    I'll give it a shot why not.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2015

Heck I'd probably at least open NL for that. I know there are like 8 of them on the forums, already, but you could even hold a contest. Winner stays in the park. Rinse & repeat until your park's fleshed out.

• CommentAuthorBye Tom
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2015

Update #4

It was quite a while since the last update, but today I picked up again and did some more stuff in the park.
    Perhaps the quantity isn't representative of how much time I've spent on it since last, but I've been learning some new texturing tools.

Basically I've done a bit of terrain work around where I want the first coaster to be, then some fencing and I've started the work on the station for the coaster.
    The plan is that I build a complete station, queue and storage, and then I'll put the park up here for anyone who'd like to try building the coaster.
    Right now I'm thinking eurofighter.

cosanta19

cosanta22

cosanta18

cosanta23
    Oh...my...this is amazing!
    Absolutely INCREDIBLE :O
    This looks amazing bye tom!
    • CommentAuthorBye Tom
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2016 edited

Update #5

I did a lot of details and objects which I can use to scatter around.

cosanta38

cosanta35

cosanta39
    •  
      CommentAuthorBolt789
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2016

These are so close to looking like photographs, I can't believe it's NL2...
    •  
      CommentAuthorzampano
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2016

Insane.
    Beautiful!
    Can we have a like button please? Seriously, that's wicked!
    WHOAAAA :oo
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2016

How could I have overlooked this, the models and especially the textures look fantastic. Keep it up!
    • CommentAuthormuchwoo
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2016

Look very cool and the theming look is really original.
    I like how you use textures for add details and save polys, can't wait to see more!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2016

This has to be one of the most outstanding scenes out there, the attention to detail is truly amazing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2016

Outstanding. Might have to fire up NL2 for the first time in ages once you get your template/build area locked down, I'd love to build something in the world you've created.

• CommentAuthorBye Tom
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2016

Update #6

Not a huge update, it's just another building.
    But it's something, and at least you know I didn't just leave this.

To provide something more of substance I also did a top-down screenshot where I marked the area I'll let you guys build a coaster on.
    Right now I'm thinking eurofighter, but that may totally change.

cosanta40

cosanta43

cosanta42

cosanta41

cosanta44