Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2016

Wow, that's looking stunning so far! I honestly thought the first picture was real, great use of projected textures!

I can't wait to see how you go on with the rides, it's going to be really cool to see what you come up with!
    • CommentAuthorJAKool

I can already think of some layout possibilities. The new building looks awesome, so realistic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZergei

Amazing :o I think a classic-inspired compact wood coaster should go in there at some time, and I guess I could make one for you if you wanted :3
    That Orange area totally looks like W45P could fits in there :D

And that 1st pic :o Incredible.
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan

I can add a nice meisho jet coaster in the orange area. Or a classic wooden coaster.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZergei

^ Hey, I just said that! >:p
    I agree, a wood coaster would look nice, but I quite like the idea of a spinning coaster
    • CommentAuthorBye Tom

Yeah, I figured that could be nice too. Although I think a wooden coaster would need a bit more space.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZergei

Well I could also provide that lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

I can try my hand at a compact intamin to fit that space if you'd like.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZergei

I guess we can make a mini contest to fit a coaster into a given space at the park, alright? Tom copies the map, deletes all the scenery, makes an outline on a certain part of land and we build in that given area.
    His most favorite wins, or we vote! And we all get a benefit of showing off our skills and being challenged to create a compact ride!

Tom: if you think this is a good idea, give us a list of possible coaster types you might like, a particular theme, color, etc., and send a link to the minimal map :D
    I'd be in for sure :p
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

Or Tom can can just find someone suitable to make a nice coaster and choose accordingly.
    • CommentAuthorBye Tom

Oh yeah, that was the idea all along (see previous updates). I didn't want to call it a contest since I'm sure many will just enjoy having like a park "template" thing, but at the end of the day I'll choose a coaster I like to keep in the park.

I'm just going to finish the immediate surroundings and then the park in its current form will be uploaded.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZergei

So you mean that the park will be free to use?! :O
    • CommentAuthorTheBeatles

That's actually a pretty neat idea, if I understand it correctly. It's like an RCT scenario for NL.
    This project continues to look great.

I noticed some stretched textures from how you've projected some of your textures. I don't know what your modelling workflow is, but one feature of blender you'll find useful for this sort of project is the ability to bake textures from one UV space to a second. i.e. if your current UV map looks like this:

you can bake textures to the second UV map and expand the details that are lost from a flat projection:

Then you can fill in these stretched faces with separate textures, and overlay some baked ambient occlusion too, which should improve the look further.

This is fairly straightforward, just requiring some specific material settings to bake from/to the correct textures. Let me know if you (or anybody else) would like more information on this, and I'll post something lengthier on my own thread.
    • CommentAuthorBye Tom
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2016

Yep, sharp eye there. :)

I've perhaps been a little bit lazy with the mapping (and modeling too tbh). I might have to redo some places, like the entrance and the latest shopfront, since those are perhaps a bit sloppy.
    But then again, I'm not exactly working too fast as-is, and it's a bit of fiddling for not too much effect. I find UV maps to be quite painful most of the time
    Also I won't have much use for AO, since effects like that should already be embedded into the texture (with it being an actual photo and all).

However, for textures I create from scratch, I am doing full unwraps and AO baking.