Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This thread will be a place where you can show some pictures of en element you are having trouble with, or just a part of the track you want feedback on, and other users will provide it.

Rules:

1. Explain what the element is and what manufacturer you are trying to follow (it is totally fine if you are not trying to replicate a manufacturer, but If you are, just put it here)

2. Post an NL2 ingame picture or multiple pictures of the piece of track you want feedback on.

3. If you are using FVD or Newton, post an screenshot in the application so it will be easier to give constructive criticism. If you are handbuidling, post a picture of the unfrozen coaster with either the radius comb enabled or from a top or side view depending on what you think will be more helpful.

4. Post your comment and wait for others to give constructive criticism or help.

Make sure each person gets some feedback before the next person posts. This way, everyone can get some feedback and improve.

I'll start off with the first one

Here is a Fahrenheit style corkscrew i have been working on for many hours now. It actually rides pretty well and rides similar to the corkscrew on Fahrenheit after comparing this to the POV video, but something about it just looks wrong. It might just be the strange lead in that makes it look weird, but I think it should be a little more circular. Any shaping advise?

•  
      CommentAuthoraltlenny
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2015

I like the idea of this thread, so here's my feedback:

Posted By: thecoasterman589

If you are using FVD or Newton, post an screenshot in the application so it will be easier to give constructive criticism. If you are handbuidling, post a picture of the unfrozen coaster with either the radius comb or the g-force comb enabled depending on what you think will be more helpful.

Scratch the g-force comb, it's practically useless to judge shaping. Instead, top and side view orthographic projections are extremely useful.

As for your corkscrew, to get it lower to the ground, try to either hit the maximum rollspeed earlier and sustain it for longer. You might need to adjust the normal force graph
    accordingly.

Greetings,
    Lenny
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

I'm really liking the idea of this thread, it will be really helpful to many of us trying to knock down perfect shaping. Great idea, I'll be sure to help out here when I can. (not that my shaping is nearly perfect).
    •  
      CommentAuthormcrc.2305

here is the start of a smiler insp coaster i am working on, its a gerstlauer infinity coaster (as is the smiler). Anyway, any feedback on the shaping of the track would be extremely helpful.

can we see some in editor pictures? It would be more helpful

•  
      CommentAuthormcrc.2305
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2015 edited

Mighty fine! although it looks as if the immelmans is a bit pointy at the top
    Coming out of the Immelmann your roll should start earlier. You might have to adjust some of the track after that to get it right though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBasilisk
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2016

This is the right topic for posting the intamin shaping :0

https://gyazo.com/f267916facbe1e0f1be9fad77d9d81e3
    •  
      CommentAuthorRobotnik
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2016

Sorry for the bump, but I've been concocting a wooden rollercoaster over the past couple of days. I think it could be a GG, but could someone double check? If it isn't, whom can I affiliate this ride to?
    Ride here (Ember has no scenery, Last Outpost is a copy of Ember with proper and complete scenery):
    https://onedrive.live.com/?id=72069C0DC2327101%21192145&cid=72069C0DC2327101
    I can telli am gonna be active in this thread a lot
    •  
      CommentAuthorZergei
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2016

But don't post every time you have an issue or no one will help you (including me)!
    yeah I wont. Also when I am making over banks I always make each side even. If I were to it differently and have one side wider would it affect the coaster or make it look weird.
    •  
      CommentAuthorUncleArly
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2016

Never seen this angle before. But a good one!
    https://gyazo.com/56a208dd147dae0b3cd1f2629173c68a
    Is it the perspective or is that track wobbly
    The "wobbliness" is a result of heartlining and an inconsistent roll motion. (Left turn, followed by straight track, followed by right turn.)
    It was bulit in 2000 to be fair
    •  
      CommentAuthorUncleArly

It's pretty standard. If you play around with the No-Lat option in NL, you'll get similar results.
    I'm very much sure that the straight track on MF was intentional (maybe so that there would be enough room for the magnetic brakes to slow down the train). Otherwise, I'm sure we could have easily seen a more fluid banking motion here, like all other transitions on this ride.

On a side note, I feel like the addition this straight track portion was kind of for the better, as it seems to "speed up" the pacing towards the end, making the final elements seem like they come much faster. Part of me also wishes it was a second low airtime hill, though. :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

There is also a clipsable part of track in this straight line (to help getting the train out of here in case of a rollback), but there are another two earlier on the layout and they are on twisted part, so that's not the reason...

I think it's just a design choice, having a high-speed straight track right beside the queue line.
    • CommentAuthorGigaG
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2016 edited

^^My friend and I are CP fanatics, and he always says this section should have an airtime hill. I can't argue with that.

Staff edit: Changed the quote to circumflexes. ;)
    They probably needed some more room for a break run as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTijjer
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2016 edited

Trying to shape the drop like Diamondback's but having a difficult time with it. I feel like as if I'm getting close and that perhaps I might have to pull the vertices out some more. Let me know how I should go with this!

•  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2016

I think a problem could be the vertice density. Right now it's pretty low, I would suggest adding more vertices so you can shape the track a little better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBasilisk
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2017

I made a Word File with some B&M reference pictures from all kind of coaster types, any one interested?
    •  
      CommentAuthorZergei
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2017 edited

^ That sounds pretty cool, I'd like that!

And on the B&M hyper, minimal nodes can actually achieve the desired shape. While I'm no expert in making hyper drops in NL2, I think this could help you out!
    • CommentAuthorTheBeatles
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2017

Also, your lift hill doesn't need that many strict nodes. None of them have any effect except the first one and the last one in a sequence.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTijjer

@TheBeatles Kind of late with that tip there, I don't use that many strict vertices anymore. After I posted that I shortly picked up from FVD++ that you can use way less to keep the lift straight.

I'm surprised that months after I posted my drop I'm still getting advice. I do question myself now rather I should go back and practice shaping hyper drops with handbuilding instead of just using FVD++.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

From personal experience, it's much easier to shape out coasters through handbuilding than FVD. It may not seem it at first but most FVD coasters for any beginner look and feel exactly the same, despite the manufacturer. I couldn't get myself out of that funk which led me to going back to handbuilding, which I find is much easier.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTijjer
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2017 edited

Haha yeah it is quite very easy to get your idea down quickly from your layout/shaping down with the handbuilding tools. I can see how most FVD coasters can feel the same to some probably because we all use the same methods.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2017

I'm trying to hand shape an iSpeed style top hat, but for the life of me, I can't get a shape that works or looks good. I keep ending up with strong lats on the twist up into the hat. If anyone can toss a few tips my way on top hat shaping, I'd appreciate it.
    Just gonna throw this out there as a reference - Skylancer was made entirely in FVD. To get specific shaping and a specific feel, you just have to know exactly what you're doing. I might agree that handbuilding is great at more easily/quickly bringing your ideas to life, but if you can then do the exact same thing in FVD with even more precision, I much prefer that. I suppose it's the same as how real designers will initially make the coaster in NL2, then hand that off to be refined.