Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to the NL2 Fight Club (credit to MorganFan for the name :P)!

- In a tournament-style fashion, sets of two will go against each other to try and build the best coaster in 10 days. I will try to match skill levels as best I can.
    - The coasters will all be of the same style, have the same maximum height, and be in the same templated area (templates will be released at the start) each week.
    - Terraforming and plant placement is allowed (only standard NL2 plants) and will probably boost your votes.
    - Custom supports are allowed and will be almost essential if you want to get into the later rounds.
    - Custom scenery is not allowed, as it would often give an unfair advantage against your opponent. Support structures are acceptable, though (queueline fences and such).
    - Custom lights and environments are not allowed. Use a simulated time of around 9am-5pm.
    - Third-party tools may be used.
    - Submissions for each week will close at around midnight on Wednesday the following week (won't be strict about it - timezone doesn't matter). Voting will open on Thursday and end on Saturday (I'll update the thread with 'Vote Now').

Voting will be explained properly in the first voting session, but basically, you will vote for one of the coasters from each pair. The contestant with the most votes goes through to the next round.

Remember, this is all for fun (and it should motivate you to make some neat coasters). Good luck to everyone who enters!

Round 1 Pairings (All Participants):

jpaufsc vs MorganFan
    rockbely vs crazydud619dx
    intim305 vs MilBee
    6FlagsManiac vs captfido87
    zyleo vs TheCodeMaster
    Bolt789 vs JL NoLimits
    DerMuffinMaker vs toiletalker26
    thecoasterman589 vs rct800
    TheDarkStar vs UtahCoasterRider
    Element115 vs Tyler Stewart

Round 2 Contestants:

Element 115
    intim305
    Bolt789
    TheDarkStar
    crazydud619dx
    thecoasterman589
    TheCodeMaster
    • CommentAuthorcaptfido87
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2015

I'd like to try
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

I'm down to play. This definitely sounds like fun!
    •  
      CommentAuthorChukensky

I'm game
    • CommentAuthorrct800

I'm definately in... Suggestion for the rules: You should also not allow custom Environments or lights since that would also be an advantage for some Users.
    ^ Added.
    Im in
    •  
      CommentAuthorrockbely

Also in. Much better management.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc

I'll jump in as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHLcoasters

i´m in too
    Count me in, I love contests.
    • CommentAuthorInkyz

I'm in!
    ^^ Here also :D
    Who doesn't love Contests
    Just in case I forget to say it when it starts, be sure to reread the initial post when Week 1 begins - I've been editing it slightly every so often, so you might miss something important.
    • CommentAuthorMilBee

I'm in.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2015 edited

I don't like the idea of only having a week, some people take longer than others. It should be debated upon the two people working to have 1 week, or 2 weeks. I would also suggest sunday night being the closing night.

I'd personally need 2 weeks, knowing I only have weekends to work on anything besides trackwork. Who knows, maybe rules can be bent for me and whoever I'm with, ya know?
    •  
      CommentAuthorHLcoasters

i think this contest is all about trackwork in short time,a new challenge which should not be easy, so one week is perfect
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

Meh, I guess I can just use FVD over the weekdays and do some quick supporting saturday and sunday (Sunday would be preferrable for the week due date, or else I literally have a day to work).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSandorvdl

Welp seems fair XD

I'm in
    I felt like one week is enough to make a ride, but not so long that people put loads of effort in to end up losing (which for half of the contestants in each round is inevitable), but I think I'd agree on the grounds that voting should be longer than a day. If anyone has any objections to it being a week and a half (10 days), please say.

Also I just remembered I need to add 'all coasters must be handbuilt' to the rules - FVD would obviously give an unfair advantage.

Edit: ^ Wait wtf. You're running one though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

Then count me out. FVD gives absolutely no unfair advantage, they are both building methods and some people are better at one than the other. There's people who can't build in FVD for their lives, and then there's people who couldn't handbuild for their lives. They are both building methods that are equal in building. If that's an enforced rule, then call me out.

EDIT: FVD is also much more difficult to use than handbuilding. It's harder to create certain elements (like immelmans and cobra rolls) and is a much steeper learning curve, so saying it's an advantage is absolutely false.

If anything it's quicker to build tracks, but that's because hand building requires more tweaking, where as, in FVD you get all tweaking done from the get go and work with what you have after that. This contest is about testing people's skills on making rides against other members of the community. Forcing someone to have to use a specific building method to join in gives those familiar with hand building an extreme advantage.

How would you feel if there was a contest like this, and after reading the rules and joining, you were informed you can only use FVD or Newton to make your rides.
    • CommentAuthorrct800

^ I totally agree with that. There are people (like me) that build almost every ride in FVD, and rarely handbuild something.
    Generally people who handbuild wouldn't want to go up against an FVD coaster. I'll wait for handbuilders to comment on the matter - if they think it's fair then there's no reason to enforce it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

Alright then I'm out, you are giving handbuilders an extremely unfair advantage to those familiar with using FVD, and you're restricting this contest to a small percentage of people, considering a very large amount of people on here use FVD.

And just because it makes your tracks smooth, doesn't mean it isn't time consuming to use and perfect your tracks. It's simply for people who like building their coasters in a different type of way, and you're restricting that.
    But everyone has the same amount of time. It's a contest, it's really hard to balance out things like that when different people use different methods. I'll take you out, but you're free to rejoin if it turns out no one cares.
    • CommentAuthorrct800

How about the following: If the opponent is ok with you using FVD, you are allowed to do so.
    Then what if they say no? It kinda has to unanimous. Give it a day or two before considering other options. It might be that literally everyone agrees with you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorganFan

YES I'LL DO IT
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

I'm down to play if I can use fvd, otherwise I don't want to be part of the contest, so I guess it comes down to what others want to do.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorganFan

Also the point of fight club in the film was to just have friendly 1v1s with no advantages, eg: no shirts, no shoes (so no CSO, no building tools, etc.). Also in the film, there is no time limit for the fights, but the first person to be done with the fight means the fight it over. And this last point I dont have a problem with, but I wasn't thinking it would be a tournament style, but just weekly 1v1 coaster-making fights, that way the contest never ends, nobody gets eliminated, and everyone keeps getting better. Though tourneys can still be fun.
    ^ I didn't intend this to be a metaphor for the film but sure.
    Don't really want to discriminate anyone from the competition, but I want everyone to think it's fair.
    •  
      CommentAuthoriSatnav

Posted By: rct800How about the following: If the opponent is ok with you using FVD, you are allowed to do so.

I am not going to join but I'd be backing this in the whole FVD thing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

I don't find using FVD unfair. They can both achieve the same goal, and both of them have their flaws. Hand Building being time and smoothness, while FVD's big problem is shaping. They are different methods for people building, and there are people (including Codemaster and others) that find handbuilding actually easier or more useful due to the fact that it's easier to achieve what you want. In all honesty, the only advantage FVD has is making things smooth. It's easy to do just the same in hand building as well, if you were to use Codemasters method.

EDIT: Or even better if possible, why not ask builders who they want to build with, not the person, but that persons type. So some people wont mind hand building against others who use FVD, and some people rather build with someone using the same method as their own, pairing people by their method etc etc
    • CommentAuthorrct800

I've got an idea: How about having all people start in the large tournament and the loosers of the first round then advancing in some kind of mini-tournament where they can compete with someone a little more on their level... That way, everyone would have at least two rounds.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc

Perhaps you can put the FVD contestants together and the hand building contestants together. That way each pair has the same constraints. I also think a one pair a week style might be better. Less to judge and easier to schedule the way I see it.
    I'll join.
    I'll join!
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox

COASTERFAN WHAT'S GOOD?
    •  
      CommentAuthorChukensky

I've seen really poor FVD coasters, and some amazing hand built coasters? I see no issue in them battling it out anyway?
    I am in. I like handbuilding my designs. But I have no problem competing against someone using FVD.
    I still don't think some people are quite understanding how contrasted FVD and handbuilding are in terms of outcome, but it seems like allowing it won't be an issue for anyone, so huzzah.

People can say here if they only want to go against someone doing the same method if they want.

And as for that mini tournament thing, rct, I simply wouldn't be able to handle running that as well as the main one.

@Paradox: wut.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

FVD actually doesn't have a huge advantage against handbuilding. It's MUCH more complicated to get used to, and that's just getting a good feel for the program. Learning proper shaping, elements etc is a whole other level of difficulty. It's very hard to get correct shaping for most types of coasters, and just getting the shaping somewhat accurate can be a pain in the ass and could take hours just to get right. The only good outcome and difference is that you don't have to go back and tinker once you get it right the first time. Atleast for the most part.
    ^^ I think yes.

Paradox do you like Nicki Minaj??? I know you watched the VMAs Whats Good xD
    ^^ As I was going to say in the last post (but didn't to keep it short), how hard it is is irrelevant if all we'll see is the outcome. If you've mastered FVD then you're going to have at least a slight advantage in voting, but I've dropped the rule so you don't need to worry about it anymore.

Got the post for Round 1 ready by the way. Should allow for a pretty creative start. I've got a couple of good ideas for future rounds too.
    Me please
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

*fingers crossed for Xcar coaster*
    • CommentAuthorarktic2

i can try to do something :)
    *Crosses fingers for a B&M*
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan

I should be able to beat anyone at making a jet coaster.
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan

Crosses fingers for a Jet Coaster!