Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTheBeatles
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2015 edited

Inroduction

Welcome to the Theme a Thing contest! With the massive influx of contests on the forums lately, I've been dying to try my hand at a competition. Unfortunately, I don't have enough time these days to enter all of the awesome contests, so I figured I'd create my own! No pesky template this time.

What's Going On?

Your task is to create an attraction with a theme of your choosing. Yes, that's it. A themed ride. Your restrictions will be relatively limited, as I want you all to be as imaginative as possible.

The Rules

1) Your ride must roll. Whether it's a dark ride (Transformers, Forbidden Journey, Mystic Manor), a roller coaster, or something else that rolls, I don't care.
    2) Your ride must follow a complete circuit track. No shuttles or some sort of flat ride, please.
    3) Your ride must include an on-board audio track. This can be anything from a single song playing, to a full-fledged combination of several songs and sound effects.
    4) Your ride must have a total track length of AT LEAST 1,500ft.
    5) Your ride must have a surrounding area to provide relevant atmosphere for your attraction. What happens before I get on the ride? After I get off?

6) You may collaborate.
    7) You may use external programs.
    8) You may ask any question regarding the contest or development

Other Stuff

Don't feel as though you have to recreate any particular manufacturer's style here. Be yourself! However, if you clearly create a B&M floorless, it will be graded as such. Speaking of which, that brings me to my next topic.

Judging

All rides will be judged by both myself and nSeven.

You will be graded on:
    1) Ride layout in relation to your theme/story
    2) Supports
    3) Story (Does your theme make sense? Does the intended story come out in the visuals?)
    4) Scenery (well-modeled scenery is not a recipe for success. Make sure it has a proper place)!

Submission

Email a download link to your .nl2pkg file to joseph.pojunis@gmail.com

Due Date

ALL ENTRIES ARE DUE NO LATER THAN MONDAY, NOVEMBER 9TH AT 3PM PST

Exclusivity

In the spirit of the contest, we ask that all entries remain confidential (i.e. no pictures, videos, download links online) until judging has completed.

On-Board Audio Script by Joshua Velez

Download Here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4eg3533wv2e43lo/AABoS78UvFl4q4fOvxxow9kna?dl=0

Instructions

1) Please download all of the files contained and place them in a folder labeled "onBoardAudio" within your park files.
    2) In order to use the script, please use the .nlvm file included with the script. For those of you not willing to do that,

Posted By: Joshua VelezTo use this code you must place the onBoardAudioBox.sco scenery object into the editor, then you MUST name the object accordingly X-Y , X would be your train and Y would be your car. The code uses this to calculate what train and car to attach this object to. And example name would be 2-5 , this will direct the code to retrieve data from train 2, car 5. This code can only support up to 9 trains and 9 cars.

3) In order to use the script, you must save your audio as a .ogg file, and make sure its name matches the name given in the script.
    4) I have included a sample .ogg file within the downloadable files. Replace this file with your own once you create it.
    5) Please direct any questions to me in this thread.

FAQ

Q: Help! I've never created scenery or audio before! What do I do?
    A: Try! There's a first time for everything.

Q: Help! I didn't read the rules and now I have a question!
    A: Read the rules, please.

Q: Help! My question isn't answered in the rules!
    A: Ask us here in the thread.
    Hmm I love the idea. I may be down to join. Let me check to see if I am clear with school and ill let you know for sure!
    • CommentAuthornSeven
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2015

Collaborations for sure are recommended - and scenery doesn't need to be extensive (for instance, Zingo's flying dutchman on the extreme side) - well placed support scenery can often really sell a scene.
    Sounds interesting... Maybe I try when I have time. ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorganFan

That looks cool. And a long enough time frame that I might be able to do it. Also now that I'm not in that other contest anymore.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSandorvdl

I'm in
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani

I've already started to work on something that would probably (I will have to check the track length requirement) fit into this contest, the problem: It was planned to be released on October the 31th. ;-)
    I will see if I will submit it as a contest entry or release it independently.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo

Sooo, I can't enter my Flying Dutchman? :P
    ^I would say Yes... But you have pictures of it and its not allowed till the judging has completed.
    Thank you for catching that, Zingo. We would prefer that all entries be started AND completed within the given time limit, beginning today and ending in November. It would give you an unfair advantage over others.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo

I happen to have another idea for a darkride/coaster lying around. I think I'm going to enter anyway just for fun sake :)
    I should be able to enter along with blaserhine for a collab project if all goes well
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

I'll give it a shot, although I can't promise anything amazing, It'll still be something.
    •  
      CommentAuthorChukensky

Is there any chance of an extended deadline? I'd love to enter, but I have literally no time at the moment to do this stuff
    •  
      CommentAuthorDonidia

Me and Chukensky have decided to collab. So we'll both aim to sort out our busy schedules to try and sort something out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorChukensky

^I'm not collabing with you, you absolute goon
    Sound
    Okay so COASTERGUY246 and I will be entering the contest. Can't promise we will finish but if we do we will be sure to send something in!
    It's well understood that many people are new to theming, audio, etc. Give it your best shot!
    •  
      CommentAuthorcheetah
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2015 edited

I'm considering it, but my 3ds skills are way below par.
    Consider me in!
    Well, look what soar qualified for! Onboard audio, theming, surrounding area, story, and rolls. A lot. But I already uploaded pictures and teasers and I'm a dissapointment at custom supporting rides. Oh well :/ can I still join?
    Of course you can still join! Although you, along with everybody else entering, cannot enter rides you have already begun creating. As I mentioned above, this would give you an unfair advantage over others.
    Then I shall start something new!
    I'm in too!
    What is the policy for custom scenery that isn't ours? i.e. if I'd like to have a model of an airplane in my coaster, but don't think I'd have enough time to make one from scratch.
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2015 edited

I'd prefer not to use models from others. Think about it from a story standpoint though. Do you need an entire plane? Or maybe just an engine, a wing? Try to stay within a reasonable skill set for yourself. Start small, and go from there!
    • CommentAuthorInkyz
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2015 edited

Are we not allowed to enter rides we've already begun with just a layout - no supports or 3ds, just the track itself?
    Again, we want all rides to be started and finished between the beginning and end of the contest.
    • CommentAuthornSeven
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2015

A nice workaround to that would be to import that design on a new park on October 9th.

Whoops, I've said too much.
    •  
      CommentAuthorcheetah

I finished my track layout and supports in the first 12 hours- woo.

Now the hard part ;_;
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo

Posted By: nSevenA nice workaround to that would be to import that design on a new park on October 9th.

Whoops, I've said too much.

You've cheated the Summer/wintershowdown enough, stop cheating NL2 :P
    • CommentAuthornSeven

LOL - HEY I won fair and square this year!
    N7 we should work together... oh wait you're a judge :(
    • CommentAuthornSeven
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2015

Zingo should know that never stopped me in the past... lol
    Is collaboration allowed? I'd love to participate and I have an solid theme and concept in place, just not the skill to execute it. Otherwise, I'll have to hope it shows through in concept... :/
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2015 edited

Of course! Feel free to collaborate.
    As seen in: The First Post on This Page6) You may collaborate.
    Anyone who is confident in modeling and scripting please PM me :)

EDIT: I have a ride layout I am currently working on, and a solid layout for the theme elements and scenery. I have skill in music production and can make the onboard audio. What I need is someone to model the theme elements and script a few things. If you're interested in the details surrounding the theme, please PM me! I'm really excited for this project and really don't want to ruin by settling for my abilities alone :'(
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2015

Posted By: nSevenZingo should know that never stopped me in the past... lol

Waow, those screenshots of this round are way better than last two rounds....wonder whats up here. We all knew Nseven, we all knew ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorRCF
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2015

Sounds like an amazing contest! Don't think I can do it though, my 3D skills are well, not skills. Other than that though...

In the rules, what do you mean by it must roll?
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2015 edited

nSeven had the same question, haha. It's completely literal. Your ride must roll. I wrote this in order to prevent some sort of smart ass submitting a themed flat ride.
    • CommentAuthornSeven
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2015

I mean...they could still submit a Disk-O... :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcrider4
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2015

That would break Rule #2 though.
    Posted By: TheBeatlesYour ride must roll

Soooooooo... No old-school wild mouse coasters then?

Edit: never mind, figured out what you meant, like a train ROLLING from Point A to Point B, not rolling side to side, as in the track banking
    Sorry for the double post, but what about using released scenery packs? i.e. nSeven's trees, Flux's rocks, or ByeTom's paths
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2015

That's fine
    I think I might have to opt out of this, due to reasons (a fire particle ruined NL2 for me) I wish I could continue, but I can't ;-;
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2015

Will deleting the particle and re-installing NL2 not work?
    ^ My graphics card blocked NL2 from using graphics, causing me to be unable to click on anything in NL2.
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2015

Please contact our support team to troubleshoot the issue: nolimits@nolimitscoaster.com

-Ride_Op