Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Desert Runner is a high-thrill, themed Intamin Mega-Lite set in the dry, arid deserts of Arizona. Soaring 150ft above the red sands, Desert Runner reaches a top speed of 67 mph with G-forces ranging between -1.0 - 4.5Gs. With over a minute of ride time and 4,100 ft of track, Desert Runner sends guests careening through some of the most remote parts on Earth for an unparalleled adventure a thrill seeker can't miss.

Go to W3Schools!

Desert Runner video is now live. Enjoy & Comment. (click on the logo above)

EXCHANGE: Download
    EXTERNAL: Download

Working on cleaning up the surrounding environment as well as finishing up the station and queue. I want to add a hot-springs area for the queue, add an entrance plaza and possibly some small stores/area development structures, and fix any supports.

Opinions, comments?
    • CommentAuthorBrawly
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2015

Very glad you stuck with this theme. Looks excellent.
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan

So you can bathe in the hot springs while queuing for the coaster?
    • CommentAuthorJAKool

The terrain is incredible with an amazing layout to compliment it. Love the station design so far.
    • CommentAuthorA113

So sick, dude. I really like the scene, I look forward to seeing the entrance area more fleshed out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorviking86

That looks REALLY good!Love the layout!
    •  
      CommentAuthorangaflow

This looks awesome keep it up man!
    •  
      CommentAuthorKG9

I'm obsessed with this. Cannot WAIT to see how it rides!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

This project is already looking fantastic from the start, I really can't wait to see how you go on with this, great work!
    Thanks for all the awesome comments! I realized I may have over-edited the images a little so here are a couple of unedited shots straight from the game showing off the station progress and area development. Anyone know of an easy way to make custom railings in sketchup? The method I have (which isn't really a method) of placing post by post or groups of posts is extremely tedious.

Opinions? Comments?
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo

Wow, unedited or not, they both look awesome! I am wondering why you used the stormrunner like trains and not the regulair trains? Considering that rides such as Goliath and the Megalite's use them I think they would go well with this ride. Also, if you have space for it maybe make one of the deeper parts a tunnel? Just to break up the lower parts a bit.
    I like it. I think your color scheme looks cool and original throughout, and the station design is fitting. Very nice. Trenches are well done too, just don't forget to kill that little piece of land that sticks into the trench on the first of your most recent pictures. You may need to use a dummy track to get rid of it. I believe I used a 4D for the largest tunnel size.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

I really love the look of this project. You have yet again outdone yourself, Andre!
    I'm only a bit distracted by the big, square spine of the lift. I find that it clashes with the lattice style of the track.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26

Really impressive stuff. Lots of details to discover, and the environment feels very authentic and alive in a way that is difficult to achieve. Nice work!
    • CommentAuthorBrawly

I really really love this. Execution of the buildings is fantastic, really reminds me of Cars and the Radiator Springs area.
    • CommentAuthorarktic2

for railing just use the in game eurofighter track
    Posted By: ZingoWow, unedited or not, they both look awesome! I am wondering why you used the stormrunner like trains and not the regulair trains? Considering that rides such as Goliath and the Megalite's use them I think they would go well with this ride. Also, if you have space for it maybe make one of the deeper parts a tunnel? Just to break up the lower parts a bit.

Thank you. I chose the rocket coaster trains because of the way they look. I love the beefy, stable appearance they have as opposed to the more open seating of the giga/mega/megalite trains. Idk, its personally more intimidating. I keep switching between tunnel and no tunnel. I'll continue to look at that.

Posted By: DC High HeatI like it. I think your color scheme looks cool and original throughout, and the station design is fitting. Very nice. Trenches are well done too, just don't forget to kill that little piece of land that sticks into the trench on the first of your most recent pictures. You may need to use a dummy track to get rid of it. I believe I used a 4D for the largest tunnel size.

Thanks, the color scheme was a little bit of a pain to get. Fixed the trenches, I was having trouble with getting rid of the terrain due to how wide the they are.

Posted By: KingRCT3I really love the look of this project. You have yet again outdone yourself, Andre!
    I'm only a bit distracted by the big, square spine of the lift. I find that it clashes with the lattice style of the track.

Thank you! Appreciate the comment! I personally like the thick spine as it really signifies the lift hill and first drop, kind of like the unique structure that RMC did with Goliath. Mine is meant to create a contrast with the surrounding environment to reiterate it's prominence.

I just recently got hired at a creative firm to work on theme parks and entertainment design projects here in Los Angeles and I just have to brag to everyone about it! Work on this and other projects have gone a little slow though because of this but I wanted to thank everyone for the support and patience. I've been working on completing the surrounding environment and area development and I must say it is coming along quite nicely. I'm rushing through this a little as I'm excited to start my next project but I hope you guys enjoy this nonetheless.

All images are Unedited. Opinions/Comments?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2016

I was in awe looking at the pictures, but your last statement finished me off. Seriously, kudos to you for high-quality objects and the consistent look of the entire scene. Great work!
    • CommentAuthorA113
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2016

The scene is looking really great, Andre. You're assembling the right kind of landscape for this scene, if I had to nitpick I'm not entirely feel in the fencing around all the pathways, I think it would be cooler to feel more part of the landscaping if that makes sense? like having the path bleed into the dunes your setting up. if you do like having them in though, I would only suggest to change the texture you have, I think a barbed wire is more appropriate than a chain linked fence in this setting. Your water texture seems super saturated also. Keep it up, man. Seriously looking forward to seeing this being completed!
    Posted By: baadrixI was in awe looking at the pictures, but your last statement finished me off. Seriously, kudos to you for high-quality objects and the consistent look of the entire scene. Great work!

Thank you, means a lot. I'm having a little bit of trouble keeping a southwest feel to it considering how tempting it is to move to a typical western theme is but I hope the following update can bring the best of both.

Posted By: A113The scene is looking really great, Andre. You're assembling the right kind of landscape for this scene, if I had to nitpick I'm not entirely feel in the fencing around all the pathways, I think it would be cooler to feel more part of the landscaping if that makes sense? like having the path bleed into the dunes your setting up. if you do like having them in though, I would only suggest to change the texture you have, I think a barbed wire is more appropriate than a chain linked fence in this setting. Your water texture seems super saturated also. Keep it up, man. Seriously looking forward to seeing this being completed!

Thank you! I'm having an issue with the fencing currently. Idealy you would have the fencing to prevent guests from interacting with the sensitive desert brush, but I see your point of having a more natural and organic feel to the walkways. As for the barbed wire, as great as that may look thematically, its not the most viable fencing option since actual barbed wire is dangerous and fake barbed wire is a little cartoony. I'll look into it though!

This update is just meant to reiterate the focus on the surrounding environment and queue. The following images show the extended queue since the actual queue is completely unfinished. I plan on wrapping it around and through the area passed the small waterway. The queue entrance will have proper signage that will hopefully provide good framing for an entry area.

All images are unedited. Opinions/Comments?
    What a cool project.. Strong layout, Very realistic environment and just an overall great coaster. It's a shame that 4-pipe track is extinct now. Unless a park buy's a mega-lite copy we will never see 4-Pipe again :/
    • CommentAuthormuchwoo
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2016

This project look amazing! I really like how you are working on theming.
    •  
      CommentAuthornolimiters
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2016

^^ Is it really out of order now?
    I quite like the 4 tube more then there new track on some coasters. (not all)
    Yea, I always liked the 4-tube track too! I wouldn't say I liked it more than their new tracks but it's definitely a shame, considering most of the very famous coasters have it. But like I said, there's a huge chance we'll still see a couple projects with 4-tube track in the future but they'll just be catalogue coasters like mega-lites, zac spins etc.
    Huh, interesting. Is there any reasoning behind that? i.e. It's outdated and no longer necessary etc?

Excellent project though Andre, it looks suuuper polished. The environment really seals the deal.
    I chose the 4 tube Intamin track because of its appearance rather than functionality. I do have sections of high stresses but the 4 tube track was mainly chosen out of aesthetic purposes. I just love the beefy-ness of it. Nonetheless, thanks for the comments everyone. I just wanted to post a couple image of my progress. Not so much an update as it is just to show rockwork and environment work for those that are interested.

I generally have a "formula" I design my coaster layouts by that I have found provides some amazing moments and incredible pacing, both visually and experientially. The following images shows one of those important climactic moments.

Comments and opinions?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSedjuuurd
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2016

yo looks good!

oke disclaimer. im not a pro 3D modeller but one thing that i find verry noticable is the repeating textures on the "water tower thing" (dont know the right name)

for the rest it looks super good!

Go to W3Schools!

Desert Runner video is now live. Enjoy & Comment. (click on the logo above)
    • CommentAuthorBrawly
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2016

One of the best coasters to come to NL2 thus far, easily. Fantastic video and layout, and the scenery is outstanding. I'm in love!
    •  
      CommentAuthorangaflow
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2016

This is amazing man!
    All around just amazing. I would try to specify what's so great about it, but it's all just solid. Great work!
    •  
      CommentAuthordapalm

Awesome! You could already tell by the pictures, but the video makes it look even better. The coaster is nice, a layout Intamin could make, and it's a very beautiful layout. You said in your last update that you design your coasters based both on the experience and the aesthetics... I think the same, and I often find myself scrapping a coaster because I don't like how it looks, even if it rides perfectly fine.

Nice to hear you work on a themepark oriented company. Projects like this really tell you why! The ride's area looks very well though, and I like the non typical theming.

So, as a small nitpicking, I don't like the lift spine. A structure like the one in I305 or Skyrush would have looked a lot better. But that small detail doesn't ruin the ride, and, as I said, it's awesome :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26

Thaaaat was a triumph. Nicely done!

• CommentAuthorA113

really, really enjoyed it! video was well done but if I had to nitpick I think the walking sequences felt too rigid, but that's only so minor. great work, Andre!
    I greatly appreciate all the comments. I'm no video editor and somewhat rushed the video for this so I understand the the video may be a little rough. Thank you nonetheless!

BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY, I can proudly release this for your chance to freely walk around and explore the attraction from any view you'd like. I proudly present, Desert Runner.

EXCHANGE: Download
    EXTERNAL: Download

Can't wait to show you the next project I'm working on! In the meantime let me know what you think of this one!
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2016

I get down to 18 or so fps even with my new computer.
    • CommentAuthorBigbad
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2016

Awesome coaster. You've taken what I like about Intamin designs and left out their snappy turns (e.g. I305, Maverick) that I dislike, and you opportunities to put them in. My only concern is how you yaw into the final brake run. What kind of laterals do you pull and how quick is the onset?

Two questions:
    1. What did you do to record your YouTube video? The FPS is going to go low with how much theming you've done, yet the video is fine, and your resolution is excellent. I've struggled to get good resolution with the in-game recorder (computer from 2012 might be why), though that takes care of lag issues.
    2. For the community, is it fair to call this a mega-lite if it's 150ft tall and hits 67mph?