Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTheBeatles
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2016 edited

As Oculus announced this morning, the Rift headset will be available for preorder starting on January 6th, 2016 at 8:00 AM PST.

This thread is intended to avoid flooding the games thread, and hopefully generate some excitement for NL2 users! As many of you know, NL2 does have native support for the rift, a feature that I don't believe many simulations have. I strongly suggest experiencing NoLimits through the Rift, it's amazing to be able to ride your own creations from the comfort of your bedroom.

So, is anyone planning on pre-ordering/purchasing? I know I am!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRCF
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2016

How much do they cost?
    i am getting one for sure
    Definitely getting one! But mainly for NL2, scary games with the Oculus is probably gonna give me a heart attack.
    ^^^ How large of a hole in my wallet will this burn?
    just gonna quickly throw this out there before peole get exited about getting one, there are required system specs. these are the official reccomendations

https://gyazo.com/a1de950fbde9f9bd572305f2a987f030
    I believe that a GTX 960 is the minimum requirement for the rift as well

also it seems the motion controllers are to be sold separate and are to be released H2 this year (july - december)

https://gyazo.com/f23e55d6d772bd22ab05469aaa46fe4d
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

Posted By: TheBeatlesNL2 does have native support for the aroft

The what?
    • CommentAuthorTheBeatles
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2016 edited

^Fixed! I meant Rift. Sorry, I'm on my phone.

Personally, I'm a bit worried that price hasn't been mentioned yet. I really hope this won't cost more than a phone. At this point I'm willing to buy anything <$600
    rumours have pointed to it being over $350 but under $500

https://gyazo.com/ede5d978774796173251f4050fc21f43

Source
    Too bad I have a potato for a computer.
    The Void here in Utah use's Oculus Rift right now for their Beta Testing and they were cool. I wish the vision was wrap around. But it made for a cool experience.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRCF

Eesh. Well, probably won't get that.
    I didn't hear about that announcement :D

I've had the money saved for a few months. I'll be home at the exact time it starts too (4pm GMT) :3

(I can't believe they still haven't announced the price though, and I can't estimate it very well because I never know if they mean $350 or £350 when they talk about the Dev Kits and such - hopefully the former)
    •  
      CommentAuthorFüchschen

I think i dont need to buy it with my GTX 640ti :'(
    At least i have more than enogh ram *whoohoo!*

I dont have the money anyway, so maybe in the future
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2016

I definitely plan on buying the Oculus, but I surely won't pre-order it since it'd be a lot of money to be wasted on something which might not meet my expectations. I was able to wait so long now, so I can wait a bit longer until the first reviews are out (and the Oculus is in stock again :D).
    ^ I assumed that was what the development kits for. They were just prototypes and they looked fantastic (I haven't had the chance to try either of them), and I'd expect the consumer version to be even better.

The main reason i want to preorder is because they'll probably end up selling out, and I'd rather not risk having to wait for the next lot. With them being so expensive they probably won't sell out instantly, but still.
    having tried terra on the dev kit 2, all i can say its worth it even just for nl2
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2016 edited

I'd say wait a month or two after the rift coming out to decide on buying it. The hardware itself is good, but there's also a chance that there wont be a lot of content for it for a while. The DK2 at this point has only a handful of native VR games that are actually good (in my opinion) and it grows pretty boring to use the same games all the time for it.

Hopefully more content will be out for the consumer since its a more finalized product... Hopefully.

@COASTERGUY246 - Terra on the DK2 was definitely my favorite experience by far when using it. It was really immersive lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2016

Since I'd have to upgrade my hardware I discarded my thoughts about buying a rift soon, I'd rather like to spent this money on something else.
    moving to another VR related topic, HTC revealed their new model for the Vive (Steam VR), called Vive Pre for developers

https://gyazo.com/1512aa8c65befdb7e071e9b5eb12915b
    ^What are the cube things?
    The positional tracking beacons, I'm pretty sure
    thats exactly it! its set up to work in a large room, as the trackers allow the user to walk around a small space for immersion

https://gyazo.com/f416ce0353a04bc5dff0a09eb038f40c
    I have 1/10 of that space available, so that rules that out :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2016

Forget about space I barely have 1/10 of the money needed for that lol. It must be amazing to play Portal with that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBolt789

^10/10 would nausea again
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2016 edited

^^^^ I just can't get past the fact that the little guy in that picture has stacked everything up on his couch, which is in the kitchen. Not to mention that his coffee table is standing on it's end.
    • CommentAuthorJAKool

He goes balls out to use his Vive.
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op

Vive will detect if you have failed to stack the required Ikea furniture correctly and will refuse to start.

-Ride_Op
    https://gyazo.com/75a46955e4f25aee4b37a125fb8d0164

holy pricetag batman

not stopping me though
    •  
      CommentAuthorBolt789

Yup, won't be owning one of those in the foreseeable future
    Yeah, I don't have £530. Even if I did I think that's too much.

I guess we know why they hid the price until now. Pretty unfair of them to be honest, considering it was expected to be around £300-£400
    • CommentAuthorole

$599 SERIOUSLY? Oculus already gave me a hard time by constanly changing their runtimes and APIs, completely breaking compatibility without giving any noticeable improvements to the end user, but this price tag is absolutely shocking.

Edit: This is without tax I guess. Price will be 741 Euros for Germans. INSANE!! All my hopes are now for the competition (HTC etc.)
    •  
      CommentAuthoriSatnav

Yeah, it seems pretty severe. Anyone want to try to mod the Gear VR to have a NoLimits plugin or app? That would be nice...
    ^^ Correct. It's £530 (as I said). I'm with you on hoping the competition is more affordable. Either that or the Rift goes down in price.

RIP being able to ride coasters in VR in April :(
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

Considering this isn't a huge step-up from the DK2, postponed heavily, not even meeting the original spec goals AND with almost double the original price, I'm going to say it's overpriced. It's complete BS that they charge this much and still refuse to include the controllers... I guess it's HTC Vive for me!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix

Well, it's a little different for me:
    Just pre-ordered mine, but it definitely hurt. $679.32 total
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo

I am so going to just by a DK2, this is just to expensive. It's 797.31 dollar here in europe. Which is just insanly more expensive than the US.
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox

Damn that's expensive. I'd rather put that money towards a newer laptop or something. VR never really appealed to me, I just don't care much for the concept in general.
    ... so this is the point when i ask will nl2 support the final version of the rift. i would like an answer as it practically determines if i get one or not
    • CommentAuthorole

Theoretically NL2 should support the final version, at least the API is universal and not directly coded for a specific device. Also the technical specs (resolution) are quite similar to those of the DK2 so I do not expect any issue why the current version of NL2 should not work with the final device. At this moment I am 95% sure that I won't buy one myself. I hardly use my DK2 and it is not worth for me to buy the final one only for trying it out so I can safely say it will be supported. I will most likely invest my money in the Steam VR device which requires a different API supported by the application.
    Thanks ole, looks like im gonna end up getting one anyway since i have had a large interest in VR from the start of the rifts dev cycle

From Reddit

also Total Biscuit has written his opinion on the rifts price, read it here
    • CommentAuthorlujach92
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2016 edited

^About Total Biscuit's comment
    Well, the Oculus is up for preorder and some people are surprised by the $600 pricetag. I'm not exactly sure where people got the impression that the first piece of true consumer-ready VR was actually going to be cheap tech.
    The answer is really easy: it was annouced with half of the price it has right now. No need to wonder.

I really planned on ugrading my Computer and buying a Rift within one year but at the moment I think I won't.

A question about the specs: I seem to remeber that for the OR Consumer Version 4K resolution (when combining both displays) had been announced. What happend with that?
    I highly suggest everyone check out the official Ask Me Anything with Palmer Luckey from earlier this evening. It sheds quite a bit of light on the reasoning behind the price, and miscommunication between Oculus and the consumer. Although I'm still unhappy with the price, I'm still rooting for Palmer Luckey and the team at Oculus.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/3zt7ul/i_am_palmer_luckey_founder_of_oculus_and_designer/
    • CommentAuthorole
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2016

My biggest problem with the device and its high price tag is its low resolution. It is only slighly higher than the DK2's. It may look a bit better because of the better displays and optics but for that price I would expect a larger improvement over the DK2. The low resolution is the number one reason why I hardly use my DK2, I just hate to see all those sub pixels and black grid, it really kills the VR experience for me.
    • CommentAuthorlujach92
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2016

^I totally agree with you on that, I had the chance to test out the DK2 about one year ago (not with NL) and it felt very pixelated to me.
    https://gyazo.com/907bc072bd08f80733ecbb1af3bbff4d

ummmmmmm
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2016

Id rather spend the 600 dollars on a mask like this. I love collecting Halloween masks and wearing them. I wear a halloween mask over my face when I sleep pretty much every night.

http://www.thehorrordome.com/buddy-the-puppet-silicone-mask.aspx
    • CommentAuthorarktic2
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2016

id rather spend $3500 on Microsoft hololens (dev kit) then a vr headset, holographic computing is by far more fun sounding then vr and nausea>>>> just wondering if nl2 would work on the hololens or would it need to be recoded?