Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthornSeven
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2016 edited

In a faraway land, distanced from the NLE and Coaster Crazy, a small community of NL2 players is beginning to grow and evolve at The Creators' Lounge - a site that hosts a variety of programs, but still tends to gravitate towards theme park and coaster sims. This site was host to another competition for NL2 and it did moderately well (for being based around a very general and abstract prompt), however talking with the staff there, we realized that the core NL2 player doesn't want to dabble in such vagueries and instead, aims toward a realistic aesthetic. So we came up with this new competition and I think you're going to really like it!

You can choose any ride that exists in a real park (past, present or future project) - your goal is to reimagine this ride how you see fit. You can add more elements, improve them, add a theme, change a theme...make it how YOU would want to ride but remember to still honor the original ride you're redesigning. YOU WILL BE TURNING IN A PARK and you will be judged on it cumulatively - it is not necessary to use 3d models, but scenery built with supports will be a must. A good indicator of what we're looking for is JammyD's Storm Valley park in the NL2 2.2 update.

You will be judged on 4 criteria:

1. Honoring the original track - does this have the spirit of the design you're remaking? (40 PTS) It should feel like the coaster you're designing from right?

2. Trackwork - how good is the ride / shaping / supports? (20 PTS) Wobbly track and prefab supports will get you nowhere.

3. Park - how well is the coaster integrated into the park? (20 PTS) Think about how your design interacts with the park / think about how the park interacts with the coaster.

4. Originality - how clever is the redesign? (20 PTS) Adding a loop and changing the paint won't cut it.

In addition, there will be an extra 10 points awarded as a Difficulty Bonus - this includes the amount of effort shown in the final design, choosing an objectively harder design to work with, succeeding with 3ds, scripting, adding extra rides to improve the park experience, going above and beyond basically.

For instance, someone who chooses the Greezed Lightnin' would have an easier time than someone who chooses Mind Bender.

Both candidates are still being judged on the one design, however clearly you have more effort going into Mind Bender - and a larger bonus would be applied - though 10 points is the maximum...and it's not guaranteed that you'll get the full 10 points because effort is a sliding scale - just because someone chooses a harder project doesn't mean they'll succeed at it.

Judging will take place with qualified members of the NoLimits dev team and The Creators' Lounge internal staff to develop a short-list of projects using this grading criteria to bring the finalists to a public twitter vote.

Feb 1st - March 18th: Active contest

March 19th @ 11:59pm PST - ALL ENTRIES DUE

March 20th-24th - Staff and NL2 Devs create shortlist of entries
    March 25th-29th - Blind public vote to choose winner.
    March 30th - Winner is announced via Twitter/Facebook/TCL

GRAND PRIZE:

Sent via Paypal (You can also choose to decline this award if you're not comfortable receiving it)

50 Dollars. 50 Days. You in?
    • CommentAuthorBlaseRhine
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2016

Seems like a great idea for a contest!

I'll give it a go!
    I'll give it a go! First I need to decide what I will redesign...
    • CommentAuthorTheBeatles

Can I enter X: Reborn? :D

•  
      CommentAuthorcheetah

I'm in, I already have a ride in mind.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJAMMYD778

Can I enter Storm Valley from the 2.2 update as a re-imagining of my original Storm Valley Version 1.0? Pls guyz!

In all seriousness, this sounds like a really cool contest that I may just enter given the long completion date. :D
    Just to clarify, the coaster has to be the same style/manufacturer? Or can we change that
    •  
      CommentAuthorMattCamMans

Sounds interesting, I may have an ideas session and see what I can designs I can draw up.

Edit: Also you say it should be a park. Is there a minimum ride count? Any more that say 3 will be a push on the deadline for me, especially when including scenery work as well.
    Sounds like a really great idea for a contest! I'll see if I'll be able to join.
    I'll throw my hat into the ring.
    count me in!
    • CommentAuthorJAKool

Let's do it.
    • CommentAuthornSeven

~Just to clarify, the coaster has to be the same style/manufacturer? Or can we change that

Yes you absolutely can, however remember the majority of your score will depend on if it honors the original ride you're remixing.

~Is there a minimum ride count?

One. You'll only be judged on the one ride, however if you want part of that bonus score you can boost it by adding more rides in the park. It is not necessary though.
    count me in :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani

I think this rule is a bit strange:
    Posted By: nSevenprefab supports will get you nowhere

What's wrong with prefab supports when they fit well, the same holds for prefab elements imho. It would be only a waste of time if they do a good job which might be the case sometimes (you won't notice it probably when you atomize them :P).
    I think he is referring to people using B&M prefabs on a gerstlauer for example, not making the effort to atomise them and change the connector e.c.t
    I've already made a start on the trackwork on my project, let's just say it's a colossal undertaking ;)
    • CommentAuthornSeven

Yeah, Bestdani - it means prefabbing EVERYTHING...even so I've found that making your own custom prefabs to copy around the coaster is better than relying only on the library prefabs. And custom supports give it a feel of believability especially when you have to do weird things that real coasters have to often do to pass clearance.
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op

I think with supports you can tell when the supports had effort put into them vs. just using the prefabs as is out of the box. Go take a look at Peninsula Park and Keymaster contained within. I'll wait.

Back? Good.

In making that recreation, I plunked down a ton of prefabs out of the library. Then I adjusted the size, atomized it, then moved the legs around as needed to get the supports right. Make the supports look believable and no one will think about how you built them.

-Ride_Op
    •  
      CommentAuthorHZGarfield
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2016

Posted By: nSeven

You can choose any ride that exists in a real park (past, present or future project)

If halted or abandoned past project count ?
    (Example:Mercury Lampe is created via Grona Lund's abandoned project in 2008)
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan

Can I enter my from the 1800s Bisbys Spiral Airship coaster?
    • CommentAuthornSeven
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2016 edited

If halted or abandoned past project count ?

Good question - I will say yes as long as you provide us some material to get an idea of where it was going to go and what it was going to be.

TOGO - yes absolutely, though understand you're being judged on a park, not just the coaster. Also you might want to work in some kind of hidden brake mechanism to increase the friction so the car doesn't reach the speeds it does in the version you uploaded!
    I"ll join!
    • CommentAuthorThrill Lab

Do the restrictions of the original ride still apply?

Such as at Alton Towers you can't go above the treeline so would you have to stay below the treeline if you did an Alton Towers coaster? or even constraints like city build limits like what happened with V2 at Discovery kingdom or footprints or the parks budget or the terrain or other things like that?

Or is this just optimally what could that ride could have been?
    • CommentAuthornSeven

Good questions...damn, hadn't thought about this stuff.

So ideally, your remix should still have the same feel as the original - for instance I'm not sure a 100ft height extension for Oblivion at AT would work very well in trying to keep with the spirit of the original. That being said, small alterations could work just fine and things like budgets don't have to be adhered to. In fact, you might like the ride you're working as an entity (maybe Scream! ParkingLotCoaster at SFMM) but hate the lack of environment or lack of thematic integrity. You might not need to change the layout if you plan on integrating it into a more thematically pleasing park - you might change just one section...that's all up to you.

Bottom line is that your remix should still feel like it came from the same ride, but you can certainly plus it however you feel.
    Does it have to fit in with the park the ride is at in real life? like does the surroding terrain and rides need to match the real thing.
    • CommentAuthornSeven

Yeah, it should still reside in its home park - it doesn't have to be exact though - this should be a fun experience that I'm sure every NL2 or coaster sim nerd has always wanted to do...like for me...I'd actually DO something with Xcellerator's momentum...dunno why they just killed it immediately...
    •  
      CommentAuthorintim305

well I'm in! Had to take a few hours to come up with an idea but I think I have a pretty solid one now!
    • CommentAuthorBrawly

I might be in.. Have some pretty neat ideas but still working on it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRNB

If the park the ride was at has been closed , should I build the park in the way I think it would have looked like if it still existed?
    Will our submissions have to be in video form, in NL2 file form, or something else? In addition, how will we submit our entries (will it have to be via E-mail, whisper / PM, or something else)?

In any case, I'm in!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani

Posted By: nSevenYeah, Bestdani - it means prefabbing EVERYTHING

Ok that's fine and makes sense of course. It sounded like "don't even dare to put a prefab in your park" to me in the first place.

I like the idea of the contest and also have an idea for a coaster. I'll see if I can find time to create something.
    • CommentAuthornSeven

If the park the ride was at has been closed , should I build the park in the way I think it would have looked like if it still existed?

Yeah, divergent timelines are sure to be a thing especially if the ride doesn't exist anymore - so if someone was doing...Colossus at SFMM, then they could choose which era of Colossus they want to do - before Scream, before Goliath, before Superman the Escape - in which that area of the park looked very different. If like for instance you chose Astroworld, either choose an era or imagine if the park had never shut down.

Will our submissions have to be in video form, in NL2 file form, or something else? In addition, how will we submit our entries (will it have to be via E-mail, whisper / PM, or something else)?

I will go over this in more detail when the competition officially starts (on the 1st) but for now you'll be submitting park files and you'll need to upload them to a file hosting service.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

I've started my own layout for this contest but I'm not yet confirming if I'm entering or not.
    Most likely not going to finish something but I have some Ideas. Fun idea.
    I'll join if I can.
    This contest is an idea I have had for a long time taking a real coaster and making it slightly different. I've got to get started.
    • CommentAuthorarktic2
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2016

Posted By: Tyler StewartI'll join if I can.

Same
    • CommentAuthornSeven
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2016 edited

SO THE COMPETITION HAS OFFICIALLY STARTED!

What do you need to do in order to participate? It's pretty simple:

When finished with your design [remember that the deadline is March 19th 11:59PM PST], to submit your projects you need to private message one of the staff members at the creators' lounge (I am one, my name is nSeven) with a hosted link to your park file.

THE CREATORS' LOUNGE

If you do not have an account with The Creators' Lounge, you will need to register - TCL doesn't use your information in any way and the registration process is very standard.

Pretty easy - it's a contest hosted by TCL, the least they ask is that you register an account with them.
    • CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2016

Meanwhile, Patrick is almost done with his entry...
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op

He's got a butterfly to film so everyone else has time to work on their entries.

-Ride_Op
    I better get started lol
    I've started on mine. I've got the layout down, but I need to do scenery, landscaping and about 3/4 of the supports.
    •  
      CommentAuthorcheetah

I just need to stop being lazy and finish the 3ds.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAJClarke0912
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2016 edited

Posted By: nSevenIf you do not have an account with The Creators' Lounge, you will need to register - TCL doesn't use your information in any way and the registration process is very standard.

Blah, another one! Reposting what I mentioned with Blase's contest:

BTW, it's usually best to seek approval before running a contest here, especially if it could be used as advertising for another site lol. It's just one of our site rules. Seeing that you have a great start here we won't interfere.

Registering accounts on The Creator's Lounge to get the template is quite the grab to swing members your way. Try not to be so obvious next time, will ya? :P But, you know... next time perhaps give a Dropbox link on this end of the spectrum if you want have the right to advertise host your contest here. So two things:

1. Run by us next time.
    2. We don't allow advertising, so don't lower a great contest to that level.

Kapeesh? Thanks!!
    • CommentAuthornSeven
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2016

Lol took you guys long enough!

Apologies, wasn't clear on the rules about non-native contests. We're honestly not trying to poach members, our goal is to show that there is a nl2 community outside of NLE and CC - while providing a high-quality contest with a very tangible prize. I don't see the community of NL2 as a competitive battlefield and I would think you'd want to build as many bridges as possible being that we're so small collectively. But if that is your policy I will remove the contest from this board to keep in line with the NLE rules of conduct.
    Posted By: nSevenBut if that is your policy I will remove the contest from this board to keep in line with the NLE rules of conduct.

No need.

Posted By: AJClarke0912Seeing that you have a great start here we won't interfere.

Just here to make sure you run things by us first so we know what's going on. Remember you said it in your podcast way back when about asking whether to start contests? :) Same applies for cross-posting here. For our intents and purposes, if it's not straight advertising (which isn't allowed), than it's being hosted here as well given that it's being posted on our forums.

I'm just making sure everyone has the rules down before we have something like last year with contest overload or cookie trails leading outside NLE that require some other forum registration to participate. In other words, imagine if I hopped on CoasterCrazy and said "Hey, we're gonna host a contest here! Oh wait, but it's actually NLE, come register there to get started!" It'd kiiiinda be advertising at that point.

That said, come time for NLC, we're looking at phasing out that attitude and taking a more meta-site approach. But that will come later.
    Hold on, is there a template? I've already started work on the landscaping (and a lot of work on it too) and a template would mean starting over...
    • CommentAuthornSeven
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2016

There is no template - the final submission is just a park file.
    • CommentAuthornSeven
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2016

Hey guys, I wanted to bump this to remind you that you have 23 days left to finish your Remixed park file.

Give this thread some love if you're still in it with some WIP pics!