Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorOrpheus
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2016 edited

Native American myth warns that the WENDIGO, half a man and half a beast, stalks the northern tundra with a thirst for human flesh. You disregarded such stories as fiction when you were warned by locals on the way to your cottage in that beautiful small town in northern Michigan. "It's just a legend," you reassured your friends. Monsters aren't real. Everyone knows that.
    You're in that cottage now, and something is watching you. You know it, your friends know it, but no one will say it. As long as you stay inside, you'll be fine. The doors are locked. You have plenty of food. The cottage is heated and you're in good company. You quickly forget about the threat.
    Then the snow comes. Light at first, and it's beautiful, but then it's a lot. A blizzard blows in. How exciting! You watch with glee for a moment and then go about your day, drinking hot chocolate and playing a game of poker with your friends.
    Right before you fold, the power goes out. The transformer must have frozen. You know you're out of luck.
    Except you're not. There's a fireplace in the living room, and a giant pile of firewood just outside of the cottage. One of your friends decides to grab a few logs so you don't all freeze. A few others decide to go with him. You remember the danger you sensed earlier, but unable to persuade your friends to stay in, you go with them to grab firewood.
    You make it to the firewood without a problem, and your friends all laugh at you for being hesitant at all. Except for one. He stares into the woods, paler than the snow surrounding him. Staring back at him from the cottage are the glowing red eyes of a WENDIGO. It sees only him.
    Your friends stop laughing at you. They begin to show signs of panic, but you urge them to stay calm. You have two choices: hide and abandon your friend, or grab him and run for your lives. If you hide, you run the risk of being found later or freezing to death. If you run for it, you run the risk of being caught. It's not an easy choice.
    It's also not one you get to make. The WENDIGO has disappeared. It could be anywhere. You need to go. NOW.
    Forget your friends; you need you run as fast as you possibly can.
    You cannot look behind you.
    You cannot stop to breathe.
    You cannot hide.
    The WENDIGO has seen you and he thirsts for your blood. He will stop at nothing. Your only hope is that someone else is slower.
    Good luck.

****STATS****
    4442ft of track
    140ft lift hill
    120ft drop
    60mph top speed
    10 moments of intense airtime
    1 inversion
    2:30 ride time
    1440 RPH

The layout as it stands. May tweak this a bit, mostly for shaping.

I originally built this without catwalks with RMC in mind. I think that will change.

This post-corkscrew double-up is my favorite element.

My second favorite element is the 70 degree first drop next to a beautiful (though as of yet improperly supported) overbank. There's so much action around the lift.

As you can see, there's still a lot of support work to be done. I'm also having trouble creating a realistic snowy terrain. Any help would be appreciated! :)

As far as most to be done is concerned, I need to come up with a more pleasant color scheme, make a logo, and improve that hideous snow texture. And I still haven't even started supporting the unconventional elements. So much to take on for my first big project! I'm hoping to have it released around the time most parks start to open in the spring. Let me know what you think!
    • CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2016

I think it looks great so far. Very cool story, very cool layout.
    I really like the concept and the layout!
    •  
      CommentAuthorJAMMYD778

Perfectly timed, just as I finished Until Dawn :P

Really liking that layout, the flow seems pretty good from the shots so far and the overall aesthetic is nice.
    • CommentAuthorOrpheus

What a coincidence! Until Dawn was actually what inspired this coaster. I've since altered the mascot to be a more classical version of the monster, but I think the narrative resembles the game quite a bit.
    • CommentAuthorOrpheus
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2016 edited

Started some preliminary environment work. I'm aiming for a final version that's a bit more menacing, though. Might end up going with total darkness and some custom lighting.

Also, I'm trying to figure out what to do with 3DS in order to visually convey the coaster's story. Right now, I'm split between placing the cottage in a clearing by the lake and making a custom station building that is the cottage. Opinions?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorganFan
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2016

I like the layout a lot! Also the environment isn't bad. I like the feel you're going for.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlamewad

I like the idea of using a cottage as a station. I have always thought the station for Poltergeist at SFFT is the coolest station ever for a coaster..

If you could do something like that, I think it would be great!
    •  
      CommentAuthorTyrush

This is awesome! Your layout seems very intriguing. It is so weird to see Wendigo, I have read the old ghost story by Algernon Blackwood and I also did a research report on him. I too have a ride called the Wendigo that I made some time ago with a lot of scenery. I went with a church station with some bones hanging from the ceiling as well as a wooden feel to the queue!
    • CommentAuthorOrpheus
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2016 edited

Trackwork is 100% complete, supports are set and clearance testing is a go! All that's left to do is some final inversion support tweaking, 3DS and car textures. Looks like WENDIGO will be released earlier than expected.

QUESTION: Has anyone published a tutorial for the in-game camera? I want to make a fairly complex video for this coaster's release but I can't seem to figure out how to get more than stagnant shots.
    ^Go watch the tutorials nl2 posted. There they explain how to work with cameras.
    No link because I'm on phone.
    ^^About 3/4 of the way through the 4th webinar he goes into detail about what you're looking for.
    • CommentAuthorOrpheus
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2016

Thanks guys! POV video coming soon, then.