Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMrBassdirt
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2016 edited

Heyo, so I sat down a couple weeks ago and was going to make an actual "realistic" coaster because it had been a while since I've really done one of those, especially after MMMFM, and I failed horribly at that. It's 10,000 feet. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But anyway, so instead of a realistic coaster, I decided to try to attempt to do a coaster concept that I have been tinkering with for like four years (HOWEVER this one will still be supported as realistically as possible ;P). The original idea was form a RCT3 coaster I made like... god like 7/8 years ago? Anyway, I have actually attempted to create this coaster three times now in NL, and each time never gathered the strength to do the immense amount of scenery needed to pull it off.

First off, Curse of fellfall wood was supposed to be this coaster, but I was creating scenery out of supports back then and this would be something way past To'kan's level of theming soo yeah.. no. Then I gave it another, more deliberate try with a side coaster I released on my YouTube, but idk that fell through too. ANYWAY, so here I finally am... I guess I'm going to give this a shot but it's going to be a huge learning experience for me because I'm not well versed in 3d modelling, and will probably be asking many many questions along the way <3. This, being the third time I made the coaster, is my favorite variation and combines my favorite elements of my past two models.

I don't have very much done right now and what I do have is very wip. Like I said, this is going to be a learning experience :\ so feedback on improvements is greatly appreciated.

Here is the story (the coaster is, quite literally, the story, so this is my sneaky way of telling you the layout):

A thief or bandit (or something) is attempting to rob the great king of Strathmore of his Nexus Sigil, the source of his power (or something), but first he must find a way through the city and into the castle. The thief knows of a hidden entrance to the castle down in the city's sewers. If he can somehow get over the city walls and down into the water, he can travel through the city's canal system which will lead him to the sewer, while minimizing the risk of being seen by a guard. Once inside the castle, he must carefully navigate through the castle's many corridors and bypass enchantments in the halls. He must take the Nexus Sigil and escape the proximity enchantments as quickly as possible if he wants to survive.

The thief escapes the castle with haste (omg I wonder if that's like a launch or something?), barreling through the countryside surrounding the castle. But unfortauntely, as the thief didn't know, the city's horse-shoe-shaped valley is flanked by shear cliffs on every side. Desperate to escape, he bounds up and over cliffs and ruins, through orchards and hamlets, only to be blocked by gates and cliffs at every turn. With no alternatives, the thief hurtles back into the city, looking for an escape. Finally, after outrunning the guards he takes a moment to catch his breath, and realizes his only way out of the valley is to bound up the side of the castle itself and over the cliff--it's the only thing tall enough. He gathers the last of his strength and charges at the castle (omg... could it be another??) and flees the valley of Strathmore with the Nexus Vigil in hand.

Boom.

Picture time.

Welcome to Strathmore.

Nothing done here, just showing some track stuff.

I wasn't gunna show this photo cuz I wanted to be all sneaky and reveal things over time but whatever I got other stuff...

--OH and is it possible for the mod's to change account names? I'd really like to update mine to something I didn't make when I was 14. or you can just call me alex.
    (To the mods--I'm starting a new construction thread because my old one is filled with broken links and is a mess, I hope that's cool)
    • CommentAuthorInkyz
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2016

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES.
    Wow if this is what Curse of fell fall woods was supposed to be this ought to be good. Then with your history of rides Alex this should be really good.
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2016

Make sure you back this project up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrBassdirt
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2016

^^ IDK if I would say that haha. It's not as crazy of a coaster lol but Ill do my best!

Dont worry TOGO lol. Its not going anywhere.

I'm sure there is an answer to this on the forum somewhere, but I can't find anything definitive: is there a set perscription to creating a waterfall in no limits? Or does everyone just kinda make their own using their own method? Because I have no idea how to do that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2016

The main method for waterfalls is to simply set a texture to 'scroll' in the NL2MAT editor. I forgot exactly where it was but I believe it was under the textures tab, look around and you'll find it. It makes it so the texture continuously moves vertically or horizontally giving the waterfall effect.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrBassdirt
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2016

^ Okay I'll have to look more into that, thank you! It might be something that happens later on lol.

Super WIP, current waterfalls are placeholders lol. Just trying to get the idea down.

•  
      CommentAuthordapalm

Well, that's looking amazing! Really nice scenery so far, looks lime it's going to be a great experience
    Looks amazing!
    •  
      CommentAuthorzampano

Yes, it already does.
    • CommentAuthorThrill Lab
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2016 edited

How long has this taken you? cause the updates show so much already and the stuff shown is really (IMO) high quality.
    Holy shit, Alex, that looks great!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrBassdirt
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2016 edited

Okay well I just typed out a freaking essay and my response got deleted, grrrr.

Anyway, thank you guys very much. I never know about 3d models because the stuff people put out on the exchange is insanely good and, tbh, a little intimidating. This is my first project that relies so heavily on 3d models, so it's a little scary but a great learning experience.

@Thrill Lab: I really no-life'd it this weekend lol. I made the city gate (from my first post) on Saturday (like allll of Saturday lol). And I made the dam over Sunday and Monday.

Will add more of what I was saying before my comment got deleted later--gotta get to class now.

Cheers, guys!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrBassdirt
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2016 edited

Hey guys, so I started mapping out the layout of my city, but I wanted to create a full scene so I could get an idea about what style I want and how that will impact the layout. I've never had to make a full city so I'm kinda just learning as I go, but what do you guys think about this style? I know it's kinda generic, not really adhering to a specific architectural style, but its basically all I can do in sketchup and it keeps the polygons down lol. I'm starting to think I'm in over my head because even this took me forever. Please let me know what you think before I go and do the whole city like this lol.

(Click for high res)

Little teaser.

Wxindows will be changed for mor variety and will be transparent just didn't assign the NLmat yet.
    I think it's neat. I love how vertical it feels (how many different levels and the like). Keep it up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2016

Wow, this looks so incredibly detailed already. Those textures are great, maybe a few too many repeats on tower on the right side in the first picture and on the thinner towers (like the center one in the last picture) if at all. Love how the track winds itself round the scenery - or the other way round. ;) Keep it up!
    •  
      CommentAuthorzampano

Just keep doing that and this will be absolutely amazing!
    •  
      CommentAuthornolimiters

More and more impressive, good work!

Those textures are really nice so I have to ask, where are you getting them?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrBassdirt
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2016

@gigacoasterfan, @zampano, @nolimters: Thank you guys! I will do my best to keep it up, but at this rate (and with what I have planned), I honestly don't see this being completed until next year LOL.

@Baadrix: Thank you! And yeah I totally see what you mean, I'll try to break that up and play with the texture to make it less obvious. This is the exact kinda feedback I need :D thanks!

@Thrill Lab: Thanks man, I got the textures from CGtextures (can google it), which is now just textures.com or something. They give you like 15 free "credits" a day to download textures, so I just log on every so often and download stuff I think i might use lol.

I think textures and texturing is my biggest difficulty (Sketchup doesn't really make it easy...), and I feel like it's one of the most important aspects to making models look good, so its nice to hear that its not a total train-wreck lol.
    •  
      CommentAuthorzampano

I'm glad you're not working at my rate, then :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrBassdirt

Zampano, hahaha that is actually a good point! I don't expect this to take a whole decade ;P but hey everything's better with age right?

Since I don't wanna post for the sake of posting lol, I wanna take a sec and talk about my track. I mentioned in Womp's construction thread about my stance on coaster building, and I just wanna explain how that came into play in this coaster.

While this coaster is technically a new-age Intamin, that choice is partially just because the double spine track is hands-down my ultimate favorite track style (aesthetically). I even wrote an engineering report paper about it in a technical writing course lol. Anyway, while the coaster does somewhat align with Intamin shaping, it is not intended to be exclusively shaped like an Intamin. Recently, I haven't felt the need to try to emulate a manufacturer's style. The way I see it is: My goal is to become involved in the amusement ride industry at some point. If I were ever going to be sitting at a desk trying to design a coaster, I'm not going to think about if it fits some certain manufacturer's style or not, I'm going to be thinking about the static and dynamic loads on the track and how it can be supported (my concentration is structural engineering), the forces on the train and riders and if they are safe and realistic, and the way the coaster is going to be constructed and its site. As I said on Womp's thread, my goal now is to focus on creating a realistic coaster, something that I would one day design, and whether my realistic coaster aligns with an existing manufacturer's style is probably coincidence (or inspiration).

For example, I started doing this a couple years ago, but when I make my track in FVD++, I try to keep the rate at which my normal force varies and my rate at which the rate of roll changes continuous and smooth. This creates that "rhythm" that I really look for in roller coasters, like a rocking sensation that makes it feel like every element was meant to follow perfectly after one another, and doesn't give it that controlled/forced-FVD-sensation that people sometimes comment about. Here's a picture of what I mean (dotted red and blue lines):

It's not always possible to make sure this happens, especially when designing with very specific directions you want to go in (I have a lot of constant normal forces :\ ugh), but I at least try to do it when I can.

ANYWAY, my point is, this may not create a track that perfectly adhere's to Intamin's style, but it is a track that I feel is thrilling and unique, yet safe and realistic in it's extremes and could actually be built (with a large enough wallet!).
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrBassdirt
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2016 edited

The world's fanciest retaining wall...

Finished the track. Full circuit now.

Wow. That wall looks really cool and I can't imagine how cool it would be to fly through that onride. Once again amazing work.

Edit: How long is the tack? Cause you've shown a lot of track so the ride looks like it will be really long.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2016

First, the most minor of nitpicks - are those mag brakes in the last picture on a section of the track that is turning left/right, even slightly? If yes, straighten it out or lose 'em. Fins like that can only be navigated on straight track, or track that is only changing pitch (not roll or yaw).

OTHERWISE

Holy crap man. Just breathtaking. That retaining wall set/scene all by itself is just astoundingly cool. Really enjoying watching this come together.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrBassdirt

@Thrill Lab: Thanks man! Yeah I really like how it rides in the sim, but keep in mind that it's travelling at about 75 mph though that segment of track--it goes by much quicker than I intended it to lol. (I have this problem where I have this cool idea for a piece of track to interact with scenery and in my mind its all cool n whatnot, and then I make it and realize that I spent a whole day working on something that people see for literally less than a second onride -___-). And yes the ride is much longer than I intended! The track is almost exactly 10,000 feet long. But it runs five trains. I had a lot of stuff I wanted to fit in okay.... rofl.

@BBSpeed: Hahaha I just knew someone was going to call me on that! ;P I finished the track up last night at like 3 am (posted around 4), and just threw down some connecting track in NL to connect the station to my final break run because doing that in FVD is always tedious and I didn't want to do it at the moment. It'll be straight don't worry :P. Thanks for noticing it though, its easy for details like that to slip through the cracks on a project this big.

I'm almost done with the rough draft of the Old Kingdom part of the valley (the ruined structures with the darker stone), and then I'm going to I think work on the valley floor and cliffs/surrounding area, then get the interior of the castle out of the way so I can start on the exterior and connecting the castle to the city, and the finalize the city and castle together. And then at the end figure out the station and how I'm going to get guests through the castle and up to the station (180 feet above the valley floor).

Also there is an extensive amount of lore behind this ride, so be prepared for a Lore update sometime soon. SPOILER: This ride and MMMFM exist in the same universe, as will my next FOUR (main) projects!! (They will, however, NOT exist within the same park because my god that would be terrible lol).
    • CommentAuthorBigbad
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2016

Obviously spectacular work. And I agree with your thoughts on shaping, particularly as an FVD++ user, where my focus is really on that force vector.

I have two comments about the waterfalls.
    1. I think that it would be really cool to go behind one.
    2. I haven't a clue how to do this, but there should be a splash when the waterfall hits the lake's surface. That higher picture looks okay, but in the lower one, it looks wrong to have a waterfall carpet dipping into the water.

But this is really fantastic work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrBassdirt
    • CommentTimeFeb 29th 2016 edited

@Bigbad: Thank you! I appreciate your comments. First off, I totally agree with both points of about the waterfalls. Right now these are just placeholders until I can either learn to make good ones myself or have someone do them for me lol. I hope for them to move and look more naturally flowing into the water surface (maybe not a splash, but at least mist). And as for going behind one, that was actually my original intention, but idk it was hard to get the water to go out that far and still look natural. Don't worry though, there is another moment in the coaster that goes behind one lol.

So I started work on the castle interior and tried to figure out lighting lol. Very wip. Need to find some new textures :\ It looks like rct3...

Ramparts!!

• CommentTimeFeb 29th 2016 edited

This never ceases to amaze me. The amount of detail, the scale, the precision, and the story. The way it all connects and looks and feels cohesive even just through pictures is beyond words and cant be done justice in just a few screens. WOW just WOW.

P.S. Are you planning music for all of this?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrBassdirt
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2016

@Thrill Lab: Thanks so much man. And yes I do plan to have onride music. But we shall see lol.

Did some work on the East Wing of the castle. Got most the basic geometry down. Still have to add windows, doors, and detailing, along with finalizing some geometry. Has a long way to go, but it is starting to take shape so I thought I'd share. Textures are not final yet. Lemme know what you think!

This is going to be part of the "queue" (I say "queue" because I'm not sure if I'm going to have a realistic park queue with railings and signs and stuff, or just a path that wanders up to the station that you have to discover on your own. I feel like the latter option would be more fun cuz you'd have to search for the entrance on foot):

•  
      CommentAuthorParadox

This would be sick as a motorbike coaster.
    I personally like it better as is now. And might I say WOW this looks better every time I look at it.

P.S. Is this thing backed up because it should be.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlamewad

^Lol yes please back this up.

This is unreal. Your models look great and that Intamin track fits in perfectly. Can't wait to see how you support it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrBassdirt
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2016 edited

@Paradox: Yeah I could see that. Personally I'm not a fan of motorbike coasters though as I find them uncomfortable (I've only been on one and it was a Zamperla). But I feel like it would be cool to make it like a motobike coaster with like a horse or some mythical creature instead (to fit the theme lol). Actually that sounds pretty cool... But most of the elements in the main portion of the ride would not be navigable on a motorbike train hahah.

@Thrill Lab: Thank you! Personally I find that it all blends together right now, and I'm hoping some more details will help break everything up and give it more depth. There is a lot more I need to do but I wanted to go to bed last night lol.

@Lamewad: Thanks man, yeah I'm really starting to like how the intamin track fits in (though that doesnt take much because I love this track shape--like seriously would put it in my home). That spine is so intimidating and macho (and functional)--its exactly what I'm looking for. Honestly supporting it going to be the easy part haha. The track is never very far off the ground of off from a scenery piece. It's really supposed to feel like a terrain coaster where it moves with the terrain and scenery.

And don't worry--everything is backed up on the drive and my external. ^__^
    I was wondering, in the third update, overall fifth post by Mr B in this thread, in the first picture what is the orange-ish color thing in the background up on the hill?
    I love how you brought your vision for the ride to the sim. Really awesome stuff here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrBassdirt
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2016

^^ @Thrill Lab: Lol oh that is just some thing I found on the 3d Warehouse lol. I'm going to put an offering altar up there an probably tie some lore into it. I'm planning on making this feel like a walkable RPG game where you can go out and explore the world. The biggest problem is going to be making everything run smooth... Need to start implementing some of that because its already getting bogged down... Except that I'm pretty clueless about that.

@Giggacoasterfan: Thanks man. I'm a sucker for the LOTR style shit... I grew up on LOTR, Warhammer, and Warcraft so when It comes to making coasters I feel like that inspiration flows over.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrBassdirt
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2016

I tried using actual images for textures and lol it came out way better and is wayyy less poly's, so I'm going to rethink everything that has already been done. It is just more difficult with the city because its hard to find images of castle stuff. Also I keep running out of credits for textures sigh.

Some old progress:

• CommentTimeMar 14th 2016 edited

^ Wow those textures :O This is absolutely massive.

Also in the third picture there is an odd white stripe on one of the roof cones.
    • CommentAuthorCraZHadder
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2016

Stunning looking! The models look amazing. Track layout looks very exhilarating too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrBassdirt
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2016 edited

@Thrill Lab, @CraZHadder: Thanks guys! And thanks for catching that white stripe.

(Kinda) Big Update:

Hey guys,

So I had some free time this weekend and tried some new stuff and I think it's looking pretty good, at least compared to what I was doing before lol--I dont think I was using sketchup correctly. Is modeling around actual images usually the standard procedure? I meant to learn blender this weekend and instead I just did this. I guess I learned something, which is good, just the wrong thing lol. I'd love some tips on how some of the more veteran users of both sketchup and blender approach their designs?

My goal will be to get every scene to this level of detail basically (building geometry and maybe some detail scenery), and then ill go back through everything a second time and see what I can get away with in terms of detail. I think balancing the attention to detail in this is going to key if I want it to be able to be enjoyed in the sim lol.

Anyway, yeah so please let me know what you think, what works, what doesn't work. Everything is WIP right now obviously, but I'd like to know what people think before continuing. <3

There will be a bridge across here...

How long is this thing? Looking great as usual bassdirt.
    • CommentAuthorBigbad
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2016

The inversion over the arches probably doesn't have enough clearance. Other than that, this looks spectacular.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSedjuuurd

damn looks good. also would like to point out: CrazyBump is a free program that you can use to make pictures into a bump map, height map, oclusion map you name it.
    would be nice to see some bumpmapping in this project because it cost not allot of performance and would up the reality of the textures.

but overall it looks really good!
    • CommentAuthorsprog

Bloody hell, I hadn't noticed this thread before. Looks absolutely fantastic so far, excellent modelling and texturing work, and the interaction with the ride itself is top notch. Looking forwards to seeing how this one turns out!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrBassdirt
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2016

Hey guys!

Thanks for your comments!

@Bigbad: Thank you sir! And the whole ride passes the clearance test. The angle of some of the photographs makes it look closer than it is (which was the intention haha).

@Sprog: Thanks man! I've learned a lot so far so hopefully it only gets better.

@Sedjuuurd: Yes yes yes thank you! This is exactly what Ive been looking for. I tried to do the forced, fakes bump maps but it doesnt really work. Anyway so I played around with Crazy Bump for like an hour, here are some results. The maps are way too intense in some areas. Nothing has been adjusted this was just me playing around. Now that I know this exists, I hope to have really clean maps in the future ^__^ Yayyy!

Oh also, are you supposed to use height (displacement) or normal maps? I used normal cuz displacement didnt look right.

•  
      CommentAuthorSedjuuurd
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2016

I mostly use the normal/Bump map (the RGB map) it is used for fake lightning/ shadows. the other for faked height.

up to you i think normal map would work best.

that inside area looks so good!

(i was also very happy when i found out about crazy bump ;) )
    This looks absolutely amazing and the bump maps definitely make it more realistic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrBassdirt
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2016 edited

@ Sedjuuurd: Thanks! Yeah its really nice, but I didnt realize it wasn't free and idk how I feel about spending like about 50 bucks on that.

@Thatguyfromspace: Thank you! And Yeah i agree, I just really need to play around with it for like a day and make them look better.

So I'm desperately procrastinating on studying for finals and It's getting to the dangerous point where I just don't really care anymore lol. So here are some shots of some stuff going on in the world of Celador. I've had very little time recently to work on this so most of these screens are a few months old, but still stuff I haven't shown yet. Re-texturing, basic geometry work, etc.

I haven't really started adding windows yet. I think I'm just going to save that for the end... Supporting so far has been half-assed lol. I'll probably have to do it over later so I'm just putting some in for the screenshots.

There is something fishy about this screen.... (Besides the fact that it's over-saturated):

Finally I can start showing some track:

(The elements in the following three images follow each other in succession--This ride is, as with most my rides lol, very blitz-y)

Very WIP Area right here. Originally had intended to make most of this inclosed/themed, but I'm starting to like the idea of having it be open and right above the grass. The graveyard was just an idea I was working with.

And two heavily edited beauty shots:

•  
      CommentAuthorZergei
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2016 edited

well damn I know you have the clearance checked but really??? REALLY?! Those clearance envelopes only show the reach of a rider, not if it's actually ok to nearly kill them anyway xD