Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2016 edited

After nearly two months of on-and-off work, I present BARRAGE, a Bolliger and Mabillard inverted coaster and my debut to NLE

BARRAGE started out on Skype, as an entry for a small invert contest between me and my friends. It wasn't much, and I lost the contest, but I didn't lose faith in my coaster. I added on, and on, and on, so on and so fourth, until it became what you see in the picture. I will release more pictures as the project progresses. And yes, it passes clearance.

Stats:

Max. Height: 117 Ft. (35 Meters)
    Max. Speed: 51 MP/H (83 KP/H)
    Length: 2970 Ft. (904 Meters)
    Max. G-force: 3.5
    Min. G-force: -0.3
    Max: Vert. Angle: 59 Degrees
    Max. Horizontal Angle: 101 Degrees
    Inversions: Loop, Zero-G roll, Cobra Roll, Interlocking Corkscrew
    Make: Bolliger and Mabillard
    Model: Inverted Coaster (Custom)
    Opening: Circa 2005-2007

Release for this coaster will be MARCH 4, coincidentally the same day as the U.S. release for Zootopia, which I admittedly really want to see, but that's beside the point. It was originally going to be March 1, but an impulse business trip to San Francisco meant I was swept away by my parents with no computer for three days. Therefore, to stick to my timeline, I had to add 3 days to the release date.

Name is highly subject to change, personally, I hate it.
    I'm surprised you lost, your ride *looks* pretty solid. The other entries to your contest must have been good.
    Is that the Coaster you showed me on Steam?

Looks really great, loks like a compact fun coaster :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery

^Indeed, Muffin. Thank you.

^^ I came second to my IRL friend, Joey. Close call, though. He only won because his Cobra was shaped better. Thank you, though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery

Just a little preview of the station building, it's nothing much, but with help from Blase Rhine and others, it's getting there!

Not too shabby for a first model, if I do say so myself. Plus I worked on that tiny little thing for a good 3 weeks, so yeah...
    You finally posted about this! It is really coming together and I am glad to be helping out where I can! The whole area is starting to come together. I am looking forward to seeing more!
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2016 edited

Thanks to Blase Rhine, Barrage now has music in its que. I will give an update once the que is complete. So far, the park runs perfectly fine on my computer, about 50-60 FPS. But then again, I run Flying Dutchman at 30 FPS and Auger at 35 FPS
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2016 edited

Since I haven't done so already, I'm gonna put out more in-depth pictures of Barrage.

The Cobra Roll over the water reminds me of something, either Hulk or Battlestar Galactica.

Just a lifthill shot with the layout in the background.

Another angle of the lift showing the Loop and Zero-G Roll.

A shot of the badly-shaped interlocking corkscrews.

And finally, a shot of what I have so far scenery-wise.

I'm not entirely happy with what I have so far, but it's coming together.
    • CommentAuthorBlaseRhine
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2016

Looking pretty good so far. Not really sure about the name since it seems like your going more western themed... Maybe Stallion?

Looking forward to the next update and glad I could help with the music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery

I hate the name. I hate it. But Stallion is a bit too mainstream.
    How about a name like Vigilante? I think that would fit well with this theme.

Edit: and according to RCDB, there are no other coasters currently in existence with that name so you're good there!
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery

Well, that's certainly a choice. I'll keep it in mind.
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery

Let the lagfest begin...

•  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2016

A little preview of what most of the foliage around Barrage will look like.
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2016 edited

I am so incredibly proud of myself right now...

(Vekoma Whirlwind created by Joseph Dubin)
    ^You should :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorProjektion
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2016

It might just be the perspective of that last shot, but that looks like a really short lift of such an expansive layout. Hopefully it rides keeps it's pace well as it looks really nice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2016 edited

It flies, I mean flies through its layout. The lift is rather short - 117 Feet - but I was trying to make a better Silver Bullet on a Batman-Esque scale. Its lowest speed is around 30 KP/H, but that's mostly because I made the cobra roll taller than the loop. =P
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2016 edited

Joseph has finished the area around Boardwalk Blaster! I don't care that the buildings are in-game, this part of the park looks amazing!

EDIT: Since I'm new, I hope staff don't mind that I take that second screenshot to Screenshot Saturday. I love it too much.
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2016 edited

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can support this area over the transfer table realistically?

•  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2016

I would use a modified "Twisted 180 Degree" prefab that runs along the side of the station. You may have to move/modify the arc support that's next to it though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery

Oh. My god. Words cannot describe how well this came out compared to how it looked in my head...
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery

Ok, so. Very small update, BUT, I have decided I will release two versions of the ride. One including lighting effects, and one not including lighting effects. This is because on my old computer, the coaster runs at 3 FPS with lighting effects, however it runs at about 15 FPS without the lighting effects. I am worried it may affect some systems.

I have also updated the lift steepness of Boardwalk Blaster, but I might remove it altogether because I just realized how weird it is to have a Boardwalk theme mix in with the Western theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2016 edited

Ok, so, a little bit has gone down along the last few days.

First of all, the invert has been renamed "Iron Horse" which was what Indians called steam trains back then.

Second of all, the Boardwalk Blaster has been removed.

Third of all, supporting has been completed.

And lastly, the observation pathways by Lake Silver has been completed and more foliage work has occurred.

I might give up on this project, though. It's a very bland and generic theme, a bland and generic layout, bland and generic colors, and it just doesn't look very good in my eyes. I don't know, just a few thoughts of mine.
    I am so excited for you to release this! Everything is looking phenomenal so far. Please don't give up on it! :(
    • CommentAuthorcaptfido87
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2016

does your vekoma coaster not have a station? all I could see was some random trailer parked in front of it. if you are building one, most from what I've seen in pictures show the station to be kind of tent like/ built into the supports of the overbank
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2016

^The Vekoma Whirlwind has been removed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery
    • CommentTimeFeb 29th 2016

Back from the dead? I think so!

A little bit has been changed, mainly the area around where Boardwalk Blaster was. It has been replaced with a picnic area and a few themed buildings, including a steakhouse where you could grab a quick bite.

Also, 4 MORE DAYS TILL' THE RELEASE OF IRON HORSE. I'M SO PROUD OF MYSELF LOL

Anyways, I'll leave you with that. Till' next time!
    •  
      CommentAuthorZergei
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2016

If I were you I'd add in a small flat or something somewhere, like the Hyper Whirl (somewhere on the site, but the retexturing fights with you :p), but that's just a theory. A FLAT THEORY! Thanks for watching xD
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2016 edited

^ That would greatly delay the release of the coaster, added on I never planned for there to be a flatride somewhere. I'm thinking out loud here, but maybe the entrance can be by the waterfall, going through that path leading behind the rocks.

EDIT: Why does nobody ever have anything to say about Iron Horse? =P
    •  
      CommentAuthorZergei
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2016

Oh, yeah...

It's a beautiful coaster reminiscent of Dueling Dragons, well themed, and amazing scenery :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery

^ Thank you very much. Stick around over the next week, Friday is when you can get your hands on Iron Horse.

(This goes to all who may view this thread)
    I'm really loving the look of the entrance plaza and how well it interacts with the ride.
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery

Thank you!
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2016 edited

I DID IT. Three months of work, planning, and revisions. It took a little sweat, tears, blood, and heartbreak. (Yes, I actually lost my Girlfriend to this project due to the fact that I was an inconsiderate bastard and skipped our date to work on this.) And holy hell, I'm proud of the result. I present... The one... The only...

IRON HORSE

NLE: http://nolimits-exchange.com/coaster/iron-horse/9811

CC: http://www.coastercrazy.com/21232/Iron-Horse

Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kjbou1mae20vsdc/Iron%20Horse%20BETA%20-%20B%26M%20Invert%20-%20Ol%27%20Misery.nl2pkg?dl=0

Any you can also find it on the Steam workshop! So please, download, and leave a comment over here for me! Thank you!

Also, please don't bombard me about the lag. This will be fixed in the future, it is mostly because of the ridiculous amount of rocks used for this creation. Thanks again!
    • CommentAuthorSvatlas

The coaster is really great:) Inverted coasters are my absolutly favourite coasters! Also the scenery looks pretty nice. Here are 2 3 tips to reduce the lags: Use the clipping function for the rocks/buildings/accessories and dont use the font option for every sign. The font option cost to muchhhhhhhhhh polygons/tris. Download gimp and just write the text on the background texture. The sketchup font option is a framekiller x1000 ;). If you need some help with the texture i can help you .
    Rename it the Relationship Breaker (Go get her back). Jokes aside, it's a really well thought out ride with a great env.
    • CommentAuthorSvatlas

Posted By: MGrides^^ ... i don´t think it is in this case the sketchup letters .. but you´re right!

A lot of people underestimate the point. Here is a small example. Sketchup letters imported to maya.

A letter has already 250 polygons. 100 letters x 250 = 25,000 polygons/tris (+25% more verts). That is the reason why you should use textures. The textures need only 5 or 10 polygons. In sum count all things. Ive worked a lot with sketchup and sketchup isnt the best choice for game engines. The most of the buildings arent built with quads e.g.and produce to much polygons. I really like sketchup but i use maya now:) You could build so many other great things with 25k polys. A pc manages only a certain number of polygons in the view
    Okay, I decided to pass on reviewing the ride itself for now, as on the prospect of having to watch a 15fps coaster POV, I'd say I prefer one of the many alcohol-based methods of attaining a searing headache. The layout looks fantastic though, at a glance.

I'm fairly sure the vast majority of the performance woes are due to the rocks, with minor influence with the 3d text (though I'd keep the ride logo, as that's a centerpiece) and the number of nSeven's trees, which are close to unoptimised in their current state, so should be used in very limited numbers. (I believe they're being worked on right now though) Of course, I can't verify this entirely, because your park package is password locked. As a plea to yourself and others I've noted as being doing this, please resist the urge to passlock your packages just because you stumped up for NL2 Professional. There's not much point in doing this, unless you're a business obligated to protect your IP. Ride and asset stealing just doesn't seem to be a thing amongst the NL2 community, and it stops people from thoroughly critiquing & learning from your work.

Optimising the rocks will be pretty straightforward, I'm sure somebody with a little Blender/Maya experience will help you out there if you ask. I'd also reduce the density of the trees a fair bit, there's not much point in having them that close together, and it's not how trees grow in nature.

PS: As an additional plea to anybody listening, hold off on releasing your park if it doesn't run at least at 30fps, find one of the plentiful forum members with optimisation knowledge and get them to beta test and troubleshoot any issues you may have, and most fixes are really trivial to implement.

TL;DR Great Job, let me fix.
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2016

OK, SO.

I went through and deleted all objects that had 3D text and I can safely say...

I saw a minimal raise in frame rate. 1-2 fps for me. The 3D text is probably the least of our optimisation problems. I'd say it is the rocks, and I'm highly considering redoing this ride with a different rock set.

Thank you though, I'd still remove the 3D text as 1-2 frames is still an increase.
    • CommentAuthorSvatlas

I eventually expressed myself wrong. The principle should be applied to any object. Whether text, rock or other objects and 1-2 fps just for the text is a lot :)

PS: Use cliping. Clipping is really cool and increase the performance. 100m-180m for the rocks/trees should be enough. Set all accessories on 25-50m. Lamps cashier and more e.g
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2016

I get barely any lag with my newer computer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSedjuuurd
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2016 edited

omg just noticed that the water tower has textures with resolution -1000 (seeing from the pictures)

EDIT:
    also stop discussing about that lagging.
    i made a model with 137.816 X 2 (because of 2 times in the park) verts
    2nd model has 49.384 verts
    3th model has 98.709 verts
    4th model has 116.896 verts

all in one park only costing me half my FPS and that shit is insanely high polly.
    so no that should not lagg at all
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2016 edited

I got the water tower off of the warehouse and I could care less about it. =P

If you WANT me to replace it, I will, though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSedjuuurd
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2016

textures are really easy to make so just make a NL2MAT and replace the textures with the NL2MAT.

because your park looks good. untill you look closely at the water tower.

i have a bit of OCD and this got annoying very quickly. (you know the feeling of wanting to change something because its not right. but you cant... that feeling)

so if you have time left to do some finishing touches download a repeating rusty metal texture and apply it to the water tower.
    I want to know how you people make perfect models of fences and railing for the walkways.
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2016

ByeTom's path set. That's all that needs to be said. :D