Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2016 edited

Hey everyone,

So, right after I finished the Flying Dutchman I kinda got into a Harry Potter mood and started thinking about a Harry Potter/Gringots style ride to build in NL2. I've finaly managed to get together some work which is actually antwhere near showable. Still doing everything in sketchup (sorry) but got lots better at optimizing the models (I hope). So, here goes nothing and I welcome you all to my first project of the year Project Potter (worktitle). Unlike my last ride this will not have an outdoor section. Everything is on the inside (also considerably shorter). It will however have some small coaster parts, but nothing all to mayor.

• CommentAuthorThrill Lab
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2016 edited

OMG it looks really good. I'll be interested to see how you texture the cars but this should be really cool.

Is this just going to be a dark ride or will it have a "roller coaster section" like Flying Dutchman?
    Looks amazing!
    Okay this could be much better that Flying Dutchman... and that project was insane :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorHLcoasters
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2016

love how the train spinns for the dark ride element ! did u use a spinning coaster or how did u do that ?
    Ministry of Magic theme? (From Order of the Phoenix?)
    • CommentAuthorTheBeatles

I'm extremely excited to see where this goes!
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo

@ Thrill lab: It will have two coaster parts, but nothing really mayor. It's mostly a darkride.
    @ HLcoasters: Magic and a bit of scripting ;-). It hasn't been scripted yet though, I just rotated the vehicle.
    @ TheDarkStar: Correct, but the time of the ride is around the Deadly Hallows.
    @ TheBeatles: I am planning on finishing this before summer, Most of the darkride has been laid out already, story wise it's a done deal. The main problem will be the facade and the area since I want this to be better than my last two rides.

Thank for the great response so far, I can't wait to show you guys some of the stuff that i'm working on!
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2016

--- update ---

Okea, one more scene before we go to sleep, I think you guys might know which it is. This is purely meant for a lay-out/feel test. The scene is un-optimized as hell and contains more than 200.000 poly due to the insane amount of orbs used. However, I already know how to get the exact same effect with les than 1/10 of the poly's.

\

Use mirrors.. :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo

^ If I just could. I've got such an awesome scene in my head if I could use those :P
    ^^^ Autosprites, I'm assuming?
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo

^ winner, exactly the idea I had while making these screens. :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorUncleArly
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2016

Omg. The Hall of Prophecy!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSedjuuurd

you can use NL2MAT and add reflection to them.
    • CommentAuthoriCoaster44

Are you gonna make the Veil room ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2016

@ UncleArly: Correct! Although, I'm going to change it totaly, I kinda went overboard to just make those screens (A)
    @ Sedjuuurd, Yeah, I was planning on doing to, but in the end the performance is what counts :). Thx for the tip though.
    @ iCoaster44, I will neither deny nor confirm anything at this point.

So, as promised, this ride will have some coaster parts, bigger and faster than the current real Harry Potter rides. but dont expect to much, what I am going to show you now is about half the whole coaster part for this ride. Keep in mind that the vehicle is a 3x4 vehicle, so it's rather large. Also, in these screens there is no theming at all, so in the end it's going to look entirly different.

^Wow, it looks like it is coming along really well!
    ^^ Very Nice! This ride will be awesome!
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2016

So, I did some work on the Hall of Proficies, I think I got the look right this time while keeping the framerate at max. I've also made my first LODs for these pieces, just to be sure.

^Looking Great, also that Car is getting better and better each time ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2016

^ Didn't change anything about them though, only the lightning. ;)
    • CommentAuthorHarmL98
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2016

Still looking great!
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2016

EXPECTO PATRONUM!
    •  
      CommentAuthorZergei

Succ ^
    ^^ Amazing!
    :o Gorgeous
    •  
      CommentAuthorCG Coasters
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2016 edited

The rider's patronus should be a wheel or a lap bar :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery

^This.
    • CommentAuthoriCoaster44
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2016

Expecto patronum ! :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2016 edited

Thanks for all the great and sometimes funny comments (:D). I can't tell to much about the patronus just yet, but be assured that I have something very cool in mind. I know these updates feature a lot of dementors, but be sure to know that dementor are not the main evil in this ride. I do however want to show the coaster part which has now received some theming.

•  
      CommentAuthorZergei
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2016

Wow.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2016

Looks neat so far, I'm curious to see how you'll manage with other parts of the ride though.
    ^^^ I can already feel the FPS drop :P Looks amazing though, great ambience!
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2016

^^ The other parts should be fine, it kinda depends on how I design them. I have some idea's for some of the other scenes, but nothing final at the moment.

^Well, I do use a lot of lights yeah, but the ride itself is planed in such a way that I can use a lot of occluders and LOD's. Also, unlike my last darkride all rooms are seperate objects which makes it a lot easier to optimize :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2016

---update---

So, nothing to mayor today. I have been working on the lay-out of the ending of the ride. At first I didn't want to much coaster stuff, but after thinking about it, this still is Nolimits coaster (2), so it needs a coaster. So, now that lay-out is done and some very cool idea's for the coaster part have been mad it left me wondering: how big is this thing? The only way for me to compare it was to build the outside and compare it to my other darkride thing...and well....this is it.

I have to say, it is a LOT bigger than I though at first. It's all indoor and almost no plants/trees are needed, so that helps. Just so you guys know, about 1/3 is darkride, 1/3 coaster and 1/3 queue and station. Cant wait to show you guys the trailer I am considering!
    Ohh that is big xD Can't wait to se it finished :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2016

---Update---

Since Yedrimas released his doombuggy set I finnaly have the oppertunity to work on the rotation of the cars. Once that is sorted out finishing the theming should be a lot easier. To help with the story I've made a very simple version of one scene. I've still got to get the hang of the rotation controls, but I wanted to show this non-the-less

https://youtu.be/NOQqz82ztrY

Woah, impressive!
    • CommentAuthormuchwoo
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2016

This project is so cool!
    Can't wait to see what you are working for the dark-ride section :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2016

It looks cool! Although I feel the rotation is a bit too fast, maybe slow it down a bit so it feels more realistic?
    • CommentAuthorSvatlas
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2016

Yes the rotation is a bit to fast but it looks cool. keep it up :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo

Thanks for the cool replies guys. I know the rotation is way to fast. The problem is that sometimes the rotation acts a bit weird. For example the car rotates 360+90 degrees when going from a 180 to 90 degrees. I still have to figure out how to best fix that. In the 'newer' version this part is fixed already. All in the tool made by Yedrimas is awesome and I've received an offer from him to help me out on the scripting for multiple vehicles.

The other thing is the 3ds objects. At this moment I just don't have the time to re-learn 3d modeling in Blender, so I'm trying to optimize everything the best I can with sketchup (sorry guys). If some-one would like to help me out to point out the flaws or help me optimize a bit more that would be more than welcome :)
    • CommentAuthorSvatlas

This is a thankless task "Improve Sketchup models" Dont hate me pls ;) but that is wasted time because you must rebuild everything new. I can help you with new things if you like.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2016 edited

^ Haha, yeah, thats what I already thought. In that case it's probably better I redo some stuff in Blender or combine the both programs.

Could hardly hate you for that ;) I'd love the help tough, at least the rest of the models can be a lot better that way.
    • CommentAuthorSvatlas
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2016 edited

Let me take a look at the outdoor area. You can send me the file via whisper. I really love the design. I like the project and it needs more attention.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo

^ There currently is no outdoor area, what you see in the compare picture is the Flying Dutchman. Of course I can give you a download link if you like ;)
    • CommentAuthorSvatlas

oopsss.... yes pls :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2016 edited

---update---

So, holiday is over, Wildfire is the bestest coaster on earth and Taron is equaly awesome! On with the show. Now, roundup 150 is nearing and I need this done 5 weeks before that to actualy make a decent movie. Well, this is going to be hard (or a short queue). The lay-out is done and it's what I want to show you guys. The ride will have the same train lay-out as Gringots as in 2x12 cars per train. After some calculations and reworking of the lay-out that gives me roughly a capacity of 3840 4320 persons per hour. High enough right? :P

The lay-out is pretty easy. The ride starts with a few slower scenes and speeds up during the ride. It has one 'high speed' area and several lower speed area's. The darkride parts are easily spoted due to the transport and brake segments.
    • CommentAuthorTheBeatles
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2016

5 weeks for a video??