Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2016 edited

Sorry Mrcrolly, haha, but here it is, the 2018 news thread.

I looked into the past year threads, and two years in advance is actually a common place to start the thread. And in the end, it starts where we first heard a project for that year, and we definitely have one with Alton Towers' SW8. Others will follow soon enough!

To quote Projektion:

Posted By: ProjektionAccording to TowersStreet, plans have come up on the Staffordshire Moorlands planning website that show a possible layout for SW8 at Alton Towers

Looks very gci to me.

Zoom:

(TowersTimes.com)
    It would be cool if they did what THE CÚ CHULAINN COASTER does and have an inverted turn
    •  
      CommentAuthorZergei
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2016

It wouldn't be unique or a world first but that would be cool!
    im calling a water element somewhere on this coaster
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

Can you post your NL2 creation here, Code please? It seems like you got some rather interesting informations from that plan!
    ^ sure!

I used the height markers shown on the plans to create this:

It appears it starts with a lift, but then goes into a hill almost twice as high, so I believe there will be a launch shortly after the lift.

Something else interesting is that it lines up with the old flume splashdown (almost)
    • CommentAuthorInkyz

World's first full wood launched coaster?
    That looks amazing great job code!
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan

Can you provide a download? I would love to ride it in the simulator.
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery

^^^ *World's Second

Layout for this looks great, I'd much prefer it to be a GCI over anything. If it's anything like Gold Striker it'll be amazing.
    • CommentAuthorInkyz

^ Well no it'd be the first.
    Rmcs are not pure wood because the topper track is steel
    ^ All wooden coasters use steel in one way or another.
    ^Not like rmcs though but i do understand what you mean. I was at walibi in belgium a couple of years ago and because werewolf was my first woodie i was really confused why some supports were steel XD
    •  
      CommentAuthorProjektion

^^ While that's true, given the amount of steel RMC use in their topper track, I still think It's closer to a hybrid (by my definition of a hybrid that is) than a wooden coaster.

Posted By: Olmisery^^^ *World's Second

Layout for this looks great, I'd much prefer it to be a GCI over anything. If it's anything like Gold Striker it'll be amazing.

At the rate Lightning Rod is going, it could be the first xD
    •  
      CommentAuthorNemesisRider

I wonder how much input John Wardley has had? He's always wanted a woodie for Alton...
    •  
      CommentAuthorProjektion

Looking at the plans a bit further for SW8, the lift appears to be at 2 different inclinations. It starts off at 24 degrees, then seems to go to 12 a little bit after, so while I think Code might be onto something with the launch thing, I thing it will be a steady slope up to the top instead of that flat double up thing.
    • CommentAuthorJAKool

That's kinda stupid, why not just make a launch at the bottom and then go up really high? Is SW8 going for "world's most inconvenient propulsion system?"
    ^Its so inconvenient they might choose to feed off of that and screw putting lim and put a really fast chain instead.
    I think the lift is either to trick visitors before they hit the launch or get "World's First Lift Launch combo" record as Merlin love their world's firsts...
    ^ that's not exactly a sellable "worlds first" though.
    to be honest i dont really care if it has a worlds first or not, i just want it to be a fun ride
    Maybe a uks first coaster that is terrible.

https://gyazo.com/81d43e9cdcc63156be0396a9807db75c
    https://gyazo.com/31f5c39526b0c7e9ada1da72d491d194
    https://gyazo.com/4e7321f5e57ac4ddc637762c3e2992e5

I take it back
    • CommentAuthorInkyz

Wasn't Rita a secret weapon? That didn't set any records, right?
    ^ Rita wasn't an SW. They were meant to build a cross valley woodie but that was scrapped, partly due to resistance from the locals.
    • CommentAuthorInkyz

Good job Alton Towers
    if i was a local i would love the sound of an awesome woodie in the morning, then again i would be the one riding it.
    ^ I'm honestly surprised that current locals care about noise from the park. It's been a big tourist attraction for decades - it's not like people should have moved right next to it expecting silence. I bet you can hardly hear any of the rides from the nearby houses anyway, unless they had their windows wide open. Just annoys me that things like that stop them from investing in rides :l
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox

*Moves in next to a theme park*

"Omg it's too loud. It's the park's fault"
    • CommentAuthorInkyz

Yeah like Alton Towers has been around for ages it's not as if anyone's gonna have been living there for over thirty years and if they have surely they would move if they had a complaint.
    ^*Wonders why it is noisy*.
    To be fair, the park came around after the town did. And people do have the right to complain about noise. I garuntee if anyone here lived next to a noisy theme park, after a while you'd get sick of it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorProjektion

^^^ The park has been there since 1980, which is probably nothing when compared to some of the surrounding towns/villages. Plus the sound can actually travel a few miles if the wind is blowing in the right direction. I go to a music festival next East Midlands Airport and that can reportedly be heard from Leicester when the wind is blowing that way, and that's 12 miles away.

Edit: ^sniped
    • CommentAuthorJAKool

Reminds me of CGA. "Hey guys, let's build an office right next to this theme park!" Later: "Your themepark is too loud!"
    ^It's like Phantasialnd... They are like oh wow that house is so cheap lets buy it, wait there is a theme park.. uhm close that thing -.-

I don't understand. At all. WTF is happening.

We are talking about noise being generated by parks
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

I'm glad you guys make a coordinate effort to keep the 2018 thread active already, but by now if you want to discuss the noise pollution of a theme park, please move to the General Park Thread. ;)

-

Does anybody have the SW8 plan in high-resolution? Just like the zoomed-in part, but with the whole thing.
    got it:

(Click for Ultra High Res)
    Speaking of stretching for worlds first. I think the step up over flip on Joker was a bit of a stretch for a worlds first on a coaster. Even though I think the step up over flip does look cool.
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2016

Posted By: UtahCoasterRiderSpeaking of stretching for worlds first. I think the step up over flip on Joker was a bit of a stretch for a worlds first on a coaster. Even though I think the step up over flip does look cool.

Even that was a stretch. Mack basically built the same element on Helix (first inversion after the first launch).
    •  
      CommentAuthorZergei
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2016 edited

Posted By: Coasterfan312^ I'm honestly surprised that current locals care about noise from the park. It's been a big tourist attraction for decades - it's not like people should have moved right next to it expecting silence. I bet you can hardly hear any of the rides from the nearby houses anyway, unless they had their windows wide open. Just annoys me that things like that stop them from investing in rides :l

Was just about to say that... stole my thunder!

^^ and Valravn does it too in the same year as Joker
    I know people were speculating GCI for the woodie, but maybe it's a launched Gravity Group? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    •  
      CommentAuthorowen9h10
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2016

I wish everyone would stop saying SW8 won't open until 2018! They wouldn't advertise a new coaster that much if was two years away. Plus I don't think Merlin have ever announced a new project a whole 2 years before opening. I don't think BPB's new coaster will open next year though.
    Definatly gonna go to the train unvailing at alton if possible
    To be fair many parks have speculated and even released details well over two years before its proposed opening. Let's take cannibal for example, construction started about two years before opening and was speculated for 4-5 years before that. If this is a minor project, it very well could be 2018. Also this was not officially announced by the park, but instead... Discovered by some people. I think a major reason you don't want it for 2018 is because you just want a new coaster for Towers. For something like this, I believe the wait for it would be worth it.
    They should add a coaster in 2018 imo(not that im bothered when they do) because they need to balance it out. I think an intamin drop tower might be a nice touch like apocalypse not likelex luthor zumanjaro etc
    But because of the height restriction, a major drop tower is highly unlikely.
    Dont drayton have hight restrictions to?
    Not anything like the restrictions that Alton has. Plus why would they need to add a drop tower?? They have THREE seperate freefall experiences in the same park.