Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

^ Vertical will still be awesome!
    • CommentAuthorSythe
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2017

I'm pretty sure it would look super ugly if it was 117°. The thought of the support structure for that type of drop practically makes me want to die... I think it's definitely safe to say that this will be a 90° drop.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlamewad

I agree, 90 degrees will be absolute bliss for this ride. I think that's what we are going to see too. Could we have fastest, tallest and most inversions on a woodie with this?
    *hybrid
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2017 edited

Based on my hugely technical analysis of drawing yellow lines over how far the horizontal beams stick out from the last tall vertical bent on the drop, I'd say we're looking at vertical at best:

The top two beams stick out almost the exact same amount, which would indicate an approximately vertical drop at that point. Unless the as-of-yet-unbuilt beam above sticks out further, I don't think it's going to get steeper than that, and I'm good with that. Vertical is about as steep as anything needs to be IMO.

•  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

I'm not sure the superior two horizontal bits are the same length, but whatever it's pretty close.

By the way, I was always wondering wherever there was a "breaking point" going at 90°, and wouldn't it be the reason why dive machine were close but not totally 90°..? Likewase, there are more +90° drop than 90°, like, doing it frankly over that value was better than only reaching it. I figured it has to do with equilibrium, but I'm not sure. Anyway, as modern wheels assemblies are constantly or nearly touching the track, it's less of a problem I guess. Plus the airtime is already throwing the train on its upstop wheels anyway.
    But it might still weird for passengers, the same way a 90° upward hill feels weird but I can't really say why.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMillennium

Going off of some basic intuition that may not be correct, when you get past 90 you have a drop that curves into itself, thereby creating a pull away from the structure rather than a "push" down onto it. That's my reason of possibly why, because it would create tension and compression within the structure.
    • CommentAuthormrfeeny

I'm definitely making a trip out there next year. this thing looks nuts!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorskyasaurus

@millennium yes that's exactly it. @KingRCT3 the dive machines are at 90 nowadays; the original reason that Oblivion wasn't 90 was because it was following a really vertically exaggerated parabolic path.
    ^^^^ @ BBSpeed26

Beyond Vertical is awesome when executed correctly. Which is usually isn't. I would agree this one will probably not be any steeper than 90 degrees. I wasn't a fan of beyond vertical drops till I rode Cannibal. The size of the drop allows for full movement and is just sweet. Mavericks beyond vertical drop is a gimmick to me. It would be cool one day to see a beyond vertical drop on a wood coaster and I think if any company could do it RMC could easily.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc

^ Why is Maverick's drop a gimmick, but Cannibal isn't? Maverick's drop is fantastic in the back row. Especially now with the soft straps.
    ^ because its not tall enough to give the fluid movement that a beyond vertical drop should be. Mavericks drop was over much too fast and should have been more like 85 degrees to fit the ride better. Cannibals height allows the rider to feel the full movement of the track traveling through the curve of the drop and is one of the best drops in the world.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2017 edited

I rode only one beyond vertical drop (Huracan, Belantis) and I really liked it. It's quick, but you're really thrown out, which is awesome.

I agree Cannibal drop is different than the others, because it sustains an upside-down parabolic shape, while the others only have a pull-in/pull-out:

The section between the red lines is a 0g (I guess) parabola. It must be an awesome feeling.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorganFan
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2017

Having ridden Cannibal, I can confirm that it is definitely awesome. As far as drops go, it's my personal favorite and the zero g sensation is very unique, as opposed to euro fighters that kind of just dump you off the top of the lift (though I'm not saying they aren't fun).
    https://twitter.com/cedarpoint/status/870777097031229442

New teaser
    •  
      CommentAuthorZergei

Yet again, 18 seconds long.
    • CommentAuthorteejaysyke
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2017 edited

^Opening in 2018 and the whole ride has a short ride time of only 18 seconds, the whole track has LSM's so you rip through the course in only 18 seconds
    •  
      CommentAuthortpainrad

Who'd wait hours for an 18 second ride?

Oh. TTD.

nvm.
    ^Lol! That was me in 2004.
    wtf is going on here... "they're coming" duelling confirmed?????
    • CommentAuthormrfeeny

What part would be dueling? So far the only side by side track we see is all on the same block. Unless they significantly change the latter half of the layout, which doesn't look the case from the photos so far, it's extremely unlikely. The "they're coming" bit probably has to do with the name/theme of the ride.
    Oh i know its incredibly unlikely, just seems weird using a plural thing like that, even if it is relating to the name. A single coaster named "outlaws" for example just seems weird.
    • CommentAuthorInkyz

The "They're coming" kind of points to a name such as Stampede to me, as it's plural yet could fit as a name. Not to mention a stampede usually refers to a group of something charging ("coming").
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

Maybe the train will look like a group of horses..? I agree the use of the plural is really intriguing, but honestly I don't expect too much out of it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMillennium

It's honestly hilarious that in the comments on the video, half of the GP think it means that we'll get 2 coasters in 2018.
    ^ That's because RMC Mean Streak is a ruse and duelling family coasters are being added to Planet Snoopy. /s
    • CommentAuthorBigbad

I think "they" means RMC coming to Cedar Fair. We know about Mean Streak and Hurler.

When B&M became the hot manufacturer, they got Raptor and then Mantis a few years later. When Intamin became the hot manufacturer, they got Millennium Force and then Dragster a few years later and then Maverick a few years after that. Now that RMC is the hot manufacturer, I would expect multiple RMCs at Cedar Point within the next five years.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorganFan

Cedar Point T-Rex confirmed????????
    • CommentAuthorBigbad

I wouldn't be surprised if they get a T-Rex coaster and if they already know when and what they layout will be, but when I posted that I was thinking they'll get a wooden coaster from RMC.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMillennium
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2017

^^^ you forgot about imo the most underrated coaster at CP, "That Twista Thang".
    • CommentAuthorBigbad

Yes I did, and it reinforces my point. Cedar Point got two quick B&Ms when they became the hot manufacturer. Cedar Point got FOUR Intamins when they became the hot manufacturer. Hopefully this pattern indicates that Cedar Point will be getting eight (2^3=8) RMCs now that RMC is the hot manufacturer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMillennium

If we assume CP will get multiple RMCs, I can see them getting 2 max. I haven't ridden one of their ground-up woodies, but for me they seem decently similar to their conversions. The T- Rex track hasn't been even tested yet, so that's years down the line and we don't even know how they ride experience will be. Tldr: RMC makes great rides, but doesn't have enough variety in types or layouts yet.
    ^ Maybe the new Raptor is going to Knotts to Test the concept so CP will do the TREX model. Much like Xcellerator and TTD back to back years.

A Trex will over absolutely nothing that the park doesn't already have when mean streak opens. I can guarantee you it'll be the only RMC unless they start offering a new product.

•  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

^Maybe, just MAYBE rides don't have to 1-up eachother when being in the same park. They wouldn't deny a low-cost T-rex only because "it doesn't match the intensity MeanStreak has". If they did, it'd most likely be for other reasons than to compare intensity.
    • CommentAuthorSeis
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2017 edited

Better pic of the drop:

•  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2017

Looks vertical to me

Seems slightly off vertical still.

I see people mentioning the top is going to be like Lighting Rod with the double hump, but with the spacing and lift angle, I just don't see it,

I think it's gonna be like this, maybe not as tall and sharp, but definitely just a standard lift, but I guess we'll see

• CommentAuthormrfeeny
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2017 edited

^ I'm hoping that's what the first drop will look like, if so it looks like it will surpass Magnum *(sorry, Wicked Twister) as 3rd tallest coaster in the park.
    That shaping looks right and makes sense, especially if you look at Goliath's lift hill
    ^^^Just looking at a line you drew gets me excited.
    •  
      CommentAuthorskyasaurus
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2017

you mean 4th tallest? (TTD, MF, Valravn)
    • CommentAuthormrfeeny
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2017

Oh yeah, Totally forgot about Valraven.
    • CommentAuthorA113
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2017

still waiting for rmc to make a twist into near vertical drop
    ^like Medusa but near vertical? That'd be so crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorHLcoasters

I wouldnt think it will get that much higher, wouldnt that need a Lot of new Supports in the structure ?
    I think it could also be a launched lift with a bigger Radius at top . So it wont Go that high
    Does anybody know if the structure was Made bigger/stronger under the Lift ? Because i think it is necessary if they Go that high
    ^We're not sure, but if it's going 90* and also having enough speed to clear the "Top Hat" it needs to be decently tall and have a gradually descent to get to 90* with a 5-6 car train so the back row isn't experiencing -4gs
    •  
      CommentAuthorskyasaurus

@HLcoasters I was wondering that too. i think it was structurally retrofitted a few years ago though, i remember seeing a lot of reinforced bracing when i was there in 2015.
    • CommentAuthorA113
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2017 edited

@TheBeatles

I was imagining more that the roll is the start of the drop, rather than the entire length of the drop. From experience, Medusa's roll doesn't really give any ejector air, so in my mind, having a roll with a very late pull up (a near or exact vertical drop, in this case) is the alternative. Super dirty mockup below, click image for video

https://i.gyazo.com/f0623d107e366e882246b08fa0b532a4.jpg