Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorDelay
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2017

^Please do
    • CommentAuthorMaverick
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2017 edited

We interrupt this radio broadcast to bring you breaking news. There's something going on out west and you can be a part of it. The Boneville Gazette, in conjunction with WRMC 1870 AM Radio is presenting a special contest for lucky listeners to be the first to learn what's new at Cedar Point in 2018. Fifty lucky listeners will be chosen to come to the park just days before the public announcement and see for themselves what's been hiding on the other side of the tracks. They'll also each receive 2 tickets to the park, good for their visit that day. To be considered, submit a letter to the editor in 4 sentences or less, telling the Gazette what makes Frontier Town the best place to live for the law-abidin' folk who call it home. And the most important part, don't forget to tell us your cowboy or cowgirl nickname. You know, like George "French Fries" Newsome, or Sally "Eagle-eyed" Weston. Send your letter, along with your name, age, phone number, email address, and hometown to:

Tony "Calamity" Clark
    1 Cedar Point Drive
    Sandusky, OH 44870

Letters must be received by July 31st for consideration. Good luck from your friends at the Boneville Gazette and WRMC 1870!

https://youtu.be/-_avSNk08Qs
    I can't find any images as of yet but apparently the track is complete for Slinky Dog Dash
    • CommentAuthorMrRC
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2017 edited

• CommentAuthorTheBeatles
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2017

The multicolored catwalks are kind of cute
    • CommentAuthorInkyz

I forgot about that thing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

Yup. Disney's strong point is definitely not layouts. (except BTM tho)
    ^ Screamin California has a good layout just horrible trains.

The layout does seem kinda blah but the theme around it I bet will be amazing.
    Posted By: UtahCoasterRider^ Screamin California...
    It'll be a fun family ride, what were you expecting, the next Helix??

Disney build rides that cater to the widest audience range possible, and seeing as HS already has some of the most adult attractions in DisneyWorld, are we that surprised this ride will cater to everyone?
    Dragon Challenge is officially closing on the 5th of September, last day of operation September 4th

Also they say the replacement will be a coaster, so there is that at least
    Rest in peice to the coaster with the single most wasted potential. The current rumors excite me though. Supposedely going to be an intamin motocoaster, highly themed like gringotts and have backworda sections.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26

Hoping against hope that Universal sells it to a park that will run it as intended. It getting scrapped would feel like a lame win for lame lawyers and their lame campaign against things that are awesome.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlamewad

RIP Dueling Dragons. In 1999 you were the coolest thing I had ever seen. This is beyond sad.
    I'm not going to be able to experience it. Ever. That's even sadder.
    •  
      CommentAuthorUncleArly

It would a MASSIVE waste if it were just scrapped. As individual rides (without duelling) they are still rated pretty well, no?
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc

^^ You aren't the only one either.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2017 edited

Posted By: CoasterGuy2000Supposedely going to be an intamin motocoaster

Yeah, I also heard a suspended e-powered Mack à la Arthur, but it was debunked... We'll wait and see.

Posted By: CrazycoasterIt'll be a fun family ride, what were you expecting, the next Helix??

It's not a question of intensity, but the layout looks geometric (dat helix and the bunny hops) and not really interesting. You can definitely make a family coaster with an interesting layout (Zierer Force One), but I don't know, the layouts at Disney are always weird.

Maybe we can expect a good airtime on the hill after the second launch, tho.
    ^ You mean geometric like a toy track would be. That seems to work for the theme tbh!

I'm hoping it's not gunna be a motocoaster that replaces the dragons, purely because it'll seem like they're copying Tron but with Harry Potter instead. It's strange because if you told early 00's me that they would be scrapping Dragon Challenge, I would have been so angry. But their not exactly special rides, especially now. It was built for the dueling, without it it's nothing.
    • CommentAuthorKyle Sloane

^I just don't get that, that's so not true to me. Its definitely just a difference of opinion, but to me even though they were outstanding when they dueled, still that was just a gimmick. The ride was always great just because they are both forceful top of their class inverts.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26

^^That's just it, it was arguably the most special invert ever built, and I would argue the only "dueling coaster" to ever actually duel in a way that consistently and meaningfully added to the ride experience.

Plus, in their own right, Fire and Ice were, at worst, really above-average inverts. I understand what you're saying though - when you take out the dueling, you end up spending the whole ride weaving around an empty opposing track, knowing that you're missing out on the thing that made the ride special in the first place, and it loses so much. The ride has been a shadow of its former self since 2011.

Ignoring that, I'd say that the writing has been on the wall for this removal ever since the Potter stuff went in. A big outdoor roller coaster just doesn't really "fit" in a place as purposefully immersive as the Potter areas are, and in that sense, dragons has stuck out like an immersion-breaking sore thumb since Potter opened. For fans of the books & movies walking around looking for immersion, its location makes no sense with respect to Hogsmeade or the Hogwarts castle. Plus, the Dragon's Challenge retheme was super hacky - there's a sort of awkward attempt to shoehorn it into the Triwizard Cup storyline, but it doesn't really come together, and as soon as you're out in the world, you're over lagoons and gravel that, again, don't fit in the Potter universe and aren't in any way thematically tied to the queue or surroundings.

For that reason I'm also super skeptical of its replacement being another large roller coaster. Even a motobike seems iffy (despite the somewhat obvious and potentially excellent quidditch tie-in) if it's just kind of outdoors. Maybe if they build up a version of the Forbidden Forest to shield it from view?

From that angle, it makes sense why it's leaving. But man, I hope it goes to a new home that lets those things duel like they're meant to. Even at 18 Florida years old, it'd be a marquee attraction at just about any park that has the space to put it.

• CommentAuthormrfeeny

I would definately love to see these rides relocated, they are fantastic coasters and like BBSpeed said, would be a marquee attraction at almost any park.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAJClarke0912

If not America, can we have some Euro park buy Dueling Dragons please?? Poland seems to allow Lech Coaster to spiral riders upside down directly over the boarding area with ZERO netting. It's as though it was designed to fling any and all loose articles from riders at the worst possible spot. If Europe can handle that in addition to self-operated flying boat contraptions, then surely they have the maturity to handle Dueling Dragons.

Pls buy it Europe, and Universal pls sell it. ;_;
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

Yeah I'm with everyone else here, I'm pretty upset they're taking down two intense coasters for the park. It's even worse when you realize that the only other "actual" intense coasters are Hulk and HRRR (Mummy too depending on taste, fun ride but not that intense) they literally halved the number of intense rides by removing DC.
    Coaster community kickstarter to buy land and buy dragon challenge and pay for relocation and operations?

I'd be in.
    • CommentAuthorTheBeatles

Let's make NLE 2 for 2 with Kickstarters. First, $1,200 for Terror Tracks. Next, $25 million for Dueling Dragons.

Yeah, I know what I said.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

I have a dollar, lets do this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

Posted By: BBSpeed26The ride has been a shadow of its former self since 2011.

Posted By: BBSpeed26dragons has stuck out like an immersion-breaking sore thumb since Potter opened

Those two points make the removal less heartbreaking for me. It's always sad to see a B&M go, but it was already gone in hindsight... And a new Potter ride means new immersive theming, which is great.

Let's just remember this entrance...

•  
      CommentAuthorZergei

One of the most impressive ones I can think of...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMillennium
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2017

I'm not sure if hardcore enthusiasts will ever forget if Dragons get scrapped because Universal would be the first to ever scrap a B&M (without replacing the track like Hulk) and that's a taboo subject. I really hope they at least operate in some capacity somewhere else, but I've been mad since the day they stopped dueling, so I'm slightly happy that Universal can't ruin them anymore. Riding it 7 years ago, the first near miss on the ride actually took my by surprise, and it's something I'll never forget. With this and the permanent metal detectors, Universal is really hurting enthusiasts left and right.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDanSm1l3r

Forget the day they stopped dueling, they died for me the day the two dragons at the entrance came down and Harry Potter took over. Never liked it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAJClarke0912
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2017 edited

Posted By: Millenniumif Dragons get scrapped because Universal would be the first to ever scrap a B&M

Huh, I never really realized that. There's always been a small park willing to scoop up any B&M, even Iron Wolf. What has me worried though is that Universal could financially get away with not selling it, and may do so just for the sake of keeping "lesser" parks' hands off of it. It's dumb since it's not like some valuable IP or anything to hang on to, but who else besides Disney/Universal would be willing to do something shitty like that in order to maintain supremacy.

Surely selling it would get more money than scrap. So if they do scrap it, I think that's a sign that they don't want to just hand off a bespoke attraction and let someone else have it for cheap. [EDIT: Jake put it succinctly below.]

And unlike Hulk, it was actually a really smooth ride (I was surprised by this when I went a couple years ago). I feel like it's in good shape, so it would be even worse to just send it to a scrapyard.

Posted By: DanSm1l3rForget the day they stopped dueling, they died for me the day the two dragons at the entrance came down and Harry Potter took over. Never liked it.

The entrance definitely lost it's iconic perspective but I did like the station theming a lot more.
    • CommentAuthorJAKool

I think we need to remember that Universal doesn't care about enthusiasts. Most enthusiasts don't even visit their park. They care about the millions of other people and families walking through the entrance gates and to the guys up on top, they see Dueling Dragons with it's usual >45 minute lines and Forbidden Journey with its 1 hour + queues. A new highly themed family coaster is going to do wonders in that park and as sad as I am to see blue dragon leave, something like Gringotts with an actual fun coaster will be an incredible experience for me and for the general parkgoer. Joe America and his 3 kids don't care about the first ever fully scrapped B&Ms, they care about having an exciting new attraction they can all experience together.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMillennium

^ Yeah unfortunately that's the case for every single park, even Cedar Point. At the end of the day it's based on profit and return of investment, though we are lucky that roller coasters bring in people.
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery

And that's it I've booked my flight and everything, more or less. School might get in the way though...

RIP DC, you had a good fucking run!
    • CommentAuthorStevenX

Sad to see Dragons go, as they (Fire, particularly) were my favorite B&M inverts. As others have said, the sting is taken out a little by the fact they were pretty much neutered when re-themed and the dueling stopped, and they've probably been on borrowed time for a while given the amount of space they take up and where they are. I'd rather it was something else in IoA, but it's not really surprising.

Hopefully they get relocated, but I think Universal would rather scrap them than pass them (particularly as a pair).
    •  
      CommentAuthornolimiters

Maybe they experienced such a good experience with replacing The Hulk, they are doing it again, at a different spot at the park perhaps.

No?
    No I don't think so..
    •  
      CommentAuthorZergei

I remember seeing (on the Cancer Coaster Studios Discord) a kid who suggested their relocations to Hollywood. The big issue there is that it's just as unfitting there as it is in Orlando. But of course I'd like to see them saved, hopefully in a package. Where to, I don't know.
    ^ Your name for Coaster Studios made me laugh, probably more than it should have LOL!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMillennium
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2017

Posted By: ZergeiI remember seeing (on theCancerCoaster Studios Discord) a kid who suggested their relocations to Hollywood. The big issue there is that it's just as unfitting there as it is in Orlando. But of course I'd like to see them saved, hopefully in a package. Where to, I don't know.

Lol the kid must know nothing about USH because the park is so tightly packed it's ridiculous. There is no way they could fit at Hollywood unless they demolished multiple sound stages that would be separated from the rest of the world. I would LOVE to see a large coaster there, but Dragons couldn't happen. Rumor is Hollywood is getting Gringotts but they'd probably have to demolish WaterWorld for that, so that gives you an idea of how cramped the area is.
    Having ridden dragons when they dueled and when they didn't, this is a sad event as much as a good one. Hopefully another park will buy them and they can be returned to their former dueling glory.
    • CommentAuthorStevenX

Yeah, the Dragons just wouldn't fit at USH either thematically or in terms of space available. There's just no way they'll end up going there.

If they do get relocated (and I don't think they will, personally), I could see it being something like one of the Happy Valley parks in China or something which takes them rather than a European or North American park.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2017 edited

If it did get relocated I would put my money on Singapore or Japan. While I'm not sure on space for either parks, I have a slight tinge that it could get relocated, but most definitely not to a park outside of the Universal owned lands. I feel there's just too much on the table that they're simply throwing out. But then again, I'm seeing this from a enthusiasts point of view, the people behind the decision themselves could see DC as nothing more than a waste of metal at this point.

On a note disregarding locations/removals, I'm going to Universal on the 28th of september, I was only *THIS* close. It's a good thing I was able to ride it last year and the year before though.
    No other Universal park has anywhere near enough room for the dragons, they take up a huge amount of space, and the only park they really have space to play around with is the two florida ones.
    • CommentAuthorMr. E

Sadly I'm going for the first time in December and I'll miss them... :(
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2017

• CommentAuthorDanKruga
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2017

I see an outward baking turn! Hopefully that's not after the first drop, that could be a bit too much...
    • CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2017

I think you should be seeing a 90 degree turn/overbank. There's a small vertical ledger to the right of the foundation and it looks like it'll hold a horizontal ledger so the vertical structure on the left must be for the banked ledger.
    • CommentAuthorlore_sully
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2017 edited

Aaaand we have a support in position (Phantasialand Flying coaster)

•  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2017

Ok so it's definitely (99%) the Vekoma prototype!