Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

I don't think it's remotely close to Skyrush as far as height difference. Consider that the heights of the rides are about the same. The first 2 hills do have some height...on Skyrush (relative to SV) they don't have height. SV's third hill (the roll) is probably taller than Skyrush's first camelback. Yes it's gonna fly, but Skyrush is on a different level both on its hills and with the low relatively flat turns in between.
    • CommentAuthorStevenX
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2017

@ TheBeatles - Yes, I've been on The Joker at SFDK. It was good, but nothing I found particularly memorable to be quite honest. Wildfire and Lightning Rod both look pretty great, but other than those two I don't really find them all that interesting. Steel Vengeance, apart from the first drop, doesn't massively stand out to me either.

@ DC High Heat - No particular favourite, although I'm really enjoying what Mack's putting out right now. Helix and Blue Fire are both excellent. B&M is usually pretty reliable, with the odd dud - and I'm not a huge fan of their hypers/gigas (except maybe SilverStar). For wooden rollercoasters, I'd say El Toro, Cyclone and Grand National for top 3 in no real order. And then I also really enjoy rides which might are just plain fun like Hollenblitz, TRON and Euro-Mir.
    •  
      CommentAuthornolimiters

^except SilverStar??? I find SilverStar the worst B&M of them all
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox

^You clearly haven't ridden Intimidator at Carowinds then
    • CommentAuthorPopFilms

^^You clearly haven't ridden Nitro at Six Flags Great Adventure then.
    • CommentAuthorStevenX

^^ Yeah, SilverStar's alright, I think. And I think Behemoth was OK, too. The rest, I've not been too impressed by.
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox

Silver Star is great now that it's almost completely untrimmed. Behemoth and Apollo's Chariot are my favorite B&M hypers.
    lol you have quite eclectic tastes, IMO.
    Never ridden one of either XD
    •  
      CommentAuthorZergei
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2017 edited

So if Nitro is supposedly the "worst," the other hypers must be really good because Nitro is one of my new favorite rides :P
    Not in ranking, just the amount of fun and re-rideablity.
    •  
      CommentAuthorintim305
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2017

Mako and Apollo's Chariot are my favorites
    Posted By: PopFilms^^You clearly haven't ridden Nitro at Six Flags Great Adventure then.

Oh boy, I know opinions can't be wrong, but this one is way wrong. I'm not sure when or where you got to ride Nitro but I ride Nitro nearly every weekend from blazing hot days to super cold days in December and even then it hauls, and is glass smooth and the magic seat (row 9, far right) gives the most amazing floater air on every hill and the bunny hills after the MCBR are borderline mild ejector.

At night it's 10x better
    Shambhala all the way
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

Even if Silver Star is considered to be dull, I still have a lot of fun when I ride it. But yeah I like Shambhala even more.

About RMC, I only rode Wildfire and I must say it was very cool, but not mind-blowing as I may have expecting. The conditions when I rode it might have altered my perception (true for any ride). I only rode it twice during the day and wish I was able to do more.
    But I found the drop a bit frustrating (it doesn't go all the way down) and the airtime is mainly some pops, not sustainted ejectors. Turns out I like larger hills better, even the middle-sized bunny hops at the end of EGF/Goliath. Or floating air on smaller hills, à la GCI.

I'm curious about Steel Vengeance tho. Large drop, large hills... Shouldn't be that bad.
    • CommentAuthorPopFilms

^^^ I ride Nitro very often too and while I do agree it's better at night it's still the weakest hyper I've been on.
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox

Nitro is garbage but it's not as bad as Intimidator.
    • CommentAuthorEmonadeo

It's interesting to see that many opinions about various B&M Hypers. I've heard non GP people saying that Nitro is a very good Hyper if not the best. Same with Mako - though I've never ridden it I am really looking forward to it since it has an amazing Layout despite it's height imo: Now there are people saying Mako is the weakest Hyper and other ones that it is probably one of the best. And most of these people have been on most of the B&M Hypers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlamewad

I think Goliath at SFoG is the best B&M Hyper. I really liked Nitro way back in the day, but I think the most disappointing one is Raging Bull because of its trims. Mako is also a really good one, better than Intimidator (though I think I don't like Intimidator because of the trains) Goliath just has the best option for trimming of all the B&M hypers as its at the valley of a hill and doesn't seem to make that much of a change in the ride experience like trims that are on the upward part of a hill.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26

People saying Mako is the weakest hyper are out of their friggen mind. It's the best coaster in Orlando or Tampa, and very nearly makes going to Sea World actually worth it.

Mako is without question my favorite B&M hyper out of all the ones I've ridden. The duration and intensity of the airtime is just silly, even compared to other B&M hypers. If I had a knock on it at all, it's that the trim hits a little hard. Doesn't really affect airtime though.

For comparison, I recently rode Diamondback for the first time, and expected the longer trains and larger hills to mean better airtime at the extremes of the train (especially the back). Nah. Mako wins.

• CommentAuthorStevenX

I'd also agree Nitro is the worst B&M hyper of the ones I've been on.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

Guys, maybe we can get back on topic, and continue this discussion in another topic is needed? Thanks!
    Mako is not the weakest hyper, but it is definitely weaker than Nitro! Nitro is a great mix of airtime, pacing, and even intensity in parts. Mako has a completely dead ending, and is missing a forceful helix. The first airtime hill on mako is definitely one of the best on any hypers though..
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

Kyle, you'd better tell us what the wooden planks at the middle of the track on GCI are about, instead of feeding the off topic:

Posted By: DanSm1l3rWhat is going on there... Between the rails.

Looks like an antirollback shape but... on a drop. Any theories?

>:(
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox

I used to think Nitro was good too but then I rode better rides that had actual airtime
    You tried, King
    • CommentAuthorPopFilms

^^Exactly
    ^^I don't think airtime has to be the main selling point of a coaster, there are more important things in my opinion. But strictly speaking, nitro has 10 airtime moments whereas mako only has 7.. In general mako is just less complete feeling to me.
    What are those planks damnit!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

Yeah I also don't get the hate for Nitro, I thought it was a fantastic coaster and I've also ridden Mako (which is better in my opinion, but not by much). Nitro is a REALLY fun coaster, and while it's not the best one out there, it's certainly not the worst. One thing that I absolutely love about Nitro are the diving turns (can't remember the actual name) that happen after the drop and before the helix. It has one of those feelings that felt fresh and unique, never experienced anything like it to this day.

The thing that made me enjoy Mako more would be the more diverse set of elements. Nitro happens to be purely airtime hills with a helix midway, but Mako mixed in a good variety of hills, elements, and finished off nice with a fresh ending.

If you think Nitro is actually bad then you must have some godly standards for coasters. However everyone is entitled to their own opinion haha.
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox

Nitro might have 10 airtime moments but only 1 or 2 of those are actually good. The entire return run after the MCBR is just pathetic meandering.
    • CommentAuthorKyle Sloane

It seems like you are describing mako, but had a typo and wrote nitro haha.. Does makos return run after the MCBR not seem meandering? I found all of the hills on nitro to have at least floater airtime, and this year the return run has close to ejector on all the hills.
    • CommentAuthorAyTrane

Posted By: MattCamMansWhat are those planks damnit!!

They make magic happen. :)

Hate to add to the off topic-ness, but I have to weigh in on this one. If you are looking for pure airtime, Nitro obviously won't satisfy you, but you have El Toro literally within 5 minutes walking distance if that's what you want! If you accept Nitro for what it is, a smooth hyper with a great layout, interesting elements (first turn, hammerhead, helix), and awesome floater airtime (plus borderline ejector on the bunny hops on days it is running fast), I think it is nearly impossible not to think it is a great coaster. Nitro is (in my opinion) by far the most re rideable coaster in the whole park and a coaster I always ride no matter what when I visit SFGA.

PS- anyone who thinks Nitro is worse than Intimidator is crazy because I've ridden them both and they aren't even in the same ballpark XD

•  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26

Regarding the GCI "planks" - don't they have something to do with setting the track gauge and/or rail placement? Basically provides a fixed frame of reference at every cross tie to check against, to make locating the rails easier & perhaps also more precise.

Which could help explain why every force and shove and transition you feel on a GCI feels purposeful and designed. Whereas, say, if you ride something that Martin & Vleminckx has built, every other thing you feel seems like it's the result of lazy craftsmanship rather than an intentional force. Brand new rides shouldn't jerk and bounce at every bent, guys. But that part is maybe a rant for another time...

•  
      CommentAuthorDanSm1l3r

Regardless, I'm back at Alton tomorrow for the Scarefest staff preview evening so over the day I'll see what else is new on SW8.
    https://gyazo.com/49a7c07614917c429f274106df4ba7c5

https://gyazo.com/6ce91ca6949c317d3a3f9a94b4f09075
    whoopsie...
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc

^ That won't stay that way. After the track is done, crews still have to go back and clean up the wood structure.

Tony confirms this in the video of the last piece of track going in
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

I wish they kept some of the old lift structure so we would dive down into it for the first drop... Missed opportunity.
    That's a really good reference to how the track shifts from the right side of the bents to the left side at the bottom of the drop.

This thing is truly orgasmic.
    That is painfully off center.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2017

^It's done on purpose for at least two reasons.

1. The track is shifted to the right so there is room on the ledgers for the lift catwalk.
    2. The old track profile turns slightly to the right on the drop. Having the track aligned to the right side means that the drop can remain straight and the old structure can be used without extensions.
    •  
      CommentAuthorskyasaurus

Interesting that the original drop curved.
    • CommentAuthorAyTrane

^I don't believe it was on purpose. Many older rides are imperfect because either the bents weren't stood in the correct spot or the track wasn't laid straight. Due to error in the foundation, an original section of Timberwolf was 1ft off where it should have been. The carpenters had to blend the track to make it mate properly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2017 edited

•  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26

^^Which is somewhat especially noteworthy, because Timberwolf and Mean Streak were built by the same company within 2 years of each other. I think the RMC off-center placement is for sure on purpose. The original drop's slight turn... I'd speculate was incidental.

•  
      CommentAuthorlamewad

oh my that drop. its beautiful.
    • CommentAuthorDelay

It actually looks like it's slightly beyond vertical from this angle.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2017 edited

It makes Millie drop look gentle.

Posted By: jpaufscthe drop can remain straight

The new drop is not straight toward the bottom, it's visible on the animation:

•  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc

^ I was meaning the main portion of the drop. As you can see, before the pull out shifts to the right, you can see the track's position on the ledgers go from the far right to the far left before turning. That's what I was referring to.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

To the the ledgers stay straight and the drop does a left-right bend. But I'm not entierly sure.