Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorMrRC
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2017 edited

Aireal picture of Rookburgh :

Source : http://coasterforce.com/forums/threads/phantasialand-f-l-y-vekoma-launched-flying-coaster.40920/page-24#post-1007311
    •  
      CommentAuthorDanSm1l3r
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2017

OKAY THEN....

That area's a lot bigger than I originally thought. All the other photos make ya think LOADS has gone on where it's actually... very very little.
    • CommentAuthorlore_sully
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2017

Here are two more photos from coasterforce:

It will have a pretty long dark ride part (all that track already in place next to the wall)! I cannot wait to see how it goes on!

Talking about opening times, i think they are still on track for a possible 2018 opening. If we compare this to the Black Mamba construction, we can see that in March 2006 the ride was like this (see also the skeleton structures similar to the ones in F.L.Y.):

And in April:

The ride opened at the end of May of the same year!
    There is still hope!
    •  
      CommentAuthornolimiters
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2017

Love the wooden support!
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

^ That makes it an hybrid, no?

... no?
    •  
      CommentAuthorlamewad

I think I prefer the cable holding up the other end lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorZergei

Watch out for that clearance
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2017

To be honest...

... it looks cool.
    I'd like a Quarter Pounder with che- oh wait.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

It does look really cool, and sure as hell a lot bigger than I imagined. I can't tell if it's genuinely "big" or if it's just the size of the track deceiving me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26

I think it's mostly the latter. It's still going to look cool, but whereas, for example, when you walk into a park and see B&M Dive Machine track, you go "Damn. That's friggen' huge," I think this is going to be more along the lines of, "Damn, that is some tiny coaster track."

•  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2017 edited

But it's a flimsy track within a quite large coaster actually. Whereas B&M dives often appear smaller than they are due to the large track.

-

Other news, dueling Spike Coaster confirmed for Mirabilandia:

eh...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26

I'll be interested to see if the trackwork improves any. Sky Dragster's trackwork, especially when it comes to banking and laterals is kind of... odd...

•  
      CommentAuthorArios1898

I hope this one is better than Sky Dragster. Sky Dragster looks... interesting to say the least.
    what an absolute throwaway of an addition. My expectations were set at an intamin "motorbike" coaster. Impressed they managed to go even lower than that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

The only Intamin motocoaster (in Australia) is said to be unconfortable and dull. I think this is a better choice.
    • CommentAuthorInkyz

Does Juvelen not count as one?
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2017 edited

It's not really the same seating position, harness and everything:

But that's true that with a layout akin to Juvelen, they might be able to do something good, Mick Doohan is really dull-looking. By the way it went VR this year.
    •  
      CommentAuthoriSatnav

From experience, Mick Doohan isn't as dull as it appears. I was expecting it to be as such but it's actually a very fun family ride, looks much better than what that Maurer... thing... is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

That was a friend who rode it that told us that, that is unconfortable and dull.
    So now I can say this ride has 50/50 good reviews, haha.

Anyway I find it funny how everyone is thrilled for S&S Steeplechase but totally disgusted of Maurer's Spike Coaster. Granted the only existing Spike has a crappy layout, but I bet they can do better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

I think it's best to hold judgement for the Spike coaster until this one is actually built. The idea is solid and hold a lot of potential. Being able to control your speed, especially in a racing scenario where it might become a "skill" to maintain the up most speed SOME way sounds like a lot of fun. I feel the one that was recently built was on the same as a prototype made at a factory, it really didn't show any full potential other than what it can do at its bare minimum. I think it'll be a lot more interesting with a more unique layout and racing/dueling elements involved.
    •  
      CommentAuthoriSatnav

Admittedly the back restraint could use a little work but, so long as it didn't staple you, it was definitely tolerable.
    • CommentAuthorTheBeatles

Posted By: KingRCT3Anyway I find it funny how everyone is thrilled for S&S Steeplechase but totally disgusted of Maurer's Spike Coaster

This, x1000. I'm curious to see the first "real" installations of both ride systems.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26

Yeah. Has a Steeplechase sold? My first thought at that wasn't actually thrilled though. It was more "Oh, they're probably redoing Blackpool's, that could be neat. Wonder if the track will get updated?" followed shortly by "Wait they're trying to sell... more... of these? Huh..."

Basically I'm not sure that the reason they never sold more than 2 of those had anything to do with... anything that's been corrected in the update.

^From what I've heard from IAAPA, S&S said they have NOT sold one (yet?). Bizarre move to bring that ride back from the dead.
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2017 edited

The roll looks odd from that angle, but that drop...WOW
    https://gyazo.com/c0859b3775e4fc7132a0d8440164326b

wicker man's actual head has been "leaked". I really dont like how it looks at all (also the face seen in earlier photos is on the other side, this photo only shows the back of its head afaik)
    • CommentAuthorInkyz
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2017

I don't know why people are hating on SW8 so much. The statue itself looks great, and the coaster itself is a family coaster, it's not gonna be absolutely phenomenal. Not everything has to be the tallest or fastest, I think it'll be a solid addition to the Towers.
    giving it the tag of "its a family coaster" doesn't cut it any slack for me. If anything it makes me dislike it more when I look at it like that, because family coasters can be a lot better. Look at ride's like firechaser express, pegase express and dragekongen. all three of those are family coasters, and where as the theme might not be to the same standard as wicker man, the rides certainly look a lot more interesting for what they are. I think alton towers shot themselves in the foot by deciding to make their long awaited wooden coaster like this, its just a waste of potential to me. I would take a gerstlauer family coaster weaving through gloomy wood any day over this
    • CommentAuthorInkyz

Firechaser Express and Pegase Express both look really boring layout wise though, yet both provide very good experiences. There's not really much telling what it'll be like just by looking at it. I'm not saying that this was the best choice but it's not a bad one either. Parks don't always do everything right, you can complain all you want to but at the end of the day, it's an addition that will draw crowds to Towers, which I think they care more about than some picky coaster enthusiasts whining about it not being the most amazing family coaster ever. I imagine SW9 will focus more on the enthusiasts.
    One of my issues with this ride is the clear lack of marketing it as a family coaster, if you were to watch the teaser videos and understand the theme without seeing the layout. IMO you would be expecting a high thrill very intense ride, not a mediocre family wooden coaster. This is like the thirteen marketing campaign all over again, they are making the ride seem like the most incredible experience ever when it is just an average ride at best. I just don't see how a theme of dark ritual sacrifice by burning people alive in a large wooden humanoid figure fits well as a theme for a family oriented ride.
    •  
      CommentAuthorUncleArly

Let's face it though...

Towers has had terrible press ever since the Smiler incident. Their 'newest' coaster was out of action for an entire season whilst attendance numbers plummeted. They had to close the park on quieter days to try and save some money which then caused even more bad press causing attendance to slump even further. They had to increase gate prices (as they do every year) yet attractions were closed on certain days and even Sub-terra still doesn't operate. All this doesn't exactly point towards having the kind of money needed for the next Nemesis.

Alton is catered more towards families whether we like it or not. Are their better family coasters out there? Yes. Do we actually know what this will be like to ride yet? Not really. Yes, we can judge it based on similar models and rendered POVs and such. But again, we won;t know fully until we actually ride it.

As much as we all wanted the cross valley woody do we actually think that was a reality? I know I don't. The level of money and planning permission that would need is ridiculous. Maybe in the future once they've started to 'clear their name' and recoup some of the money lost over those two years we might see something like the cross valley woody.

I think people need to realise that the days of getting a coaster like Nemesis and Oblivion are over for Towers for now. The money comes from attractions like this and Thirteen. Smaller more affordable coasters that they can pin a 'darker' theme to attract the older crowd. The smiler was the last attempt at a 'big and thrilling' attraction and look what happened. Yes that was due to a number of factors that don't relate to the fact that it's 'big and thrilling' but they I don't think they will want to attempt something like that again for a long time.
    Posted By: InkyzThere's not really much telling what it'll be like just by looking at it

A certain recreation has shown how bad the pacing will most likely be, and if its as accurate as it apparently is its gonna not be that good at all

Posted By: InkyzParks don't always do everything right, you can complain all you want to but at the end of the day, it's an addition that will draw crowds to Towers.

the im a celebrity maze at thorpe park draws crowds, doesnt mean it's a good addition overall. Parks are a business, but there is a way to balance that and also creating original and good experiences (i.e. herschend)

Posted By: InkyzI imagine SW9 will focus more on the enthusiasts

so you just said that they care about crowds rather than picky enthusiasts, then say that they will focus on the enthusiasts instead of the crowds. not exactly a consistent argument is it
    • CommentAuthorInkyz
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2017 edited

Posted By: COASTERGUY246so you just said that they care about crowds rather than picky enthusiasts, then say that they will focus on the enthusiasts instead of the crowds. not exactly a consistent argument is it

Let's take Cedar Point for example, Valravn was obviously an addition to pull in crowds whereas Steel Vengeance is more about the enthusiasts because what the f*** is a hybrid coaster to the GP. Parks care about both factors respectively but right now Towers is focused on getting attendance back up like UncleArly explained pretty damn well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

@inkyz
    The "Not everything has to be the tallest or fastest" card is completely irrelevant to why people don't like the coaster. I'm sure the reason why people don't like it is because everything we've seen so far shows hint that it's going to be a rather slow and boring coaster (probably to keep noise down for the neighborhood). InvadR at busch gardens is also a family coaster, it's not the fastest or tallest, but that doesn't stop it from keeping really good pacing throughout the ride and offers a really good experience, intense for families but not over-the-top. GCI's have generally been designed to keep a pretty consistent pace throughout the entire ride. But SW8 doesn't look that way at all, the layout alone looks fairly weak for a GCI (especially in comparison to any other family coaster they've made) and from what we've seen in recreations it doesn't seem that it'll hold much speed throughout the experience. Even if we take the recreations with a grain of salt then at the same time it looks like there's no good pacing. Just a lot of fast and slow portions that don't look consistent.

I think the theming will be pretty cool. If the centerpiece were to be the weird bust that we saw in earlier photos then I'd agree with thomas. But right now I just don't know what to make of it. The idea of it being made out of wood looks cool but I just can't make out what I'm seeing in the picture above. I'm a sucker for spooky theming so I'm going to hold my judgements on that until we see more development.

Normally for a coaster I'd hold judgement on it until I see how it rides, but SW8 just doesn't look like a good coaster all around. If it ends up being a fast ride all the way through then that might justify the weird layout design, but I genuinely don't think it'll be that way given the neighbors and them having to keep it under a certain volume. I believe if they didn't have to be held to such crazy restrictions then the ride would be a lot better overall, so it's not like it's AT's or GCI's fault that it came out so weird.

EDIT: I think the biggest mistake for AT was using a wooden coaster in the first place. Wooden coasters are loud and they have neighborhoods that harass them day and night over how loud the park can be. I think if they went with a different style it would've worked out a lot better.
    yea cause low ridership and a notorious roughness doesn't matter, they only remade mean streak because they felt like it. totally wasnt because mean streak wasnt popular anymore and they had the opportunity to completely re-market it to everyone as a brand new attraction, bringing interest and drawing in the gp

and as for unclearly's point, it would be pretty fair if I was just saying sw8 isnt a thrill coaster therefore its bad. which im not.
    •  
      CommentAuthorUncleArly

I know you aren't. I too look at the layout and think huh, they could have done more. But we don't know why the team chose that design and regardless of that, we still don't know fully what it will be like to ride until we ride it. Also, with the effects and wicker man, you don't fully get the sensation of flying through that in a simulation. Yes, you get an idea but again, you don't get the full experience.
    I think they chose the design because it was legitimately the best they could do with the land they allocated. If it was a steel coaster I could argue they could have fitted a fair bit more in there, since they wouldnt need to worry about massive support structures taking up a lot of the area. and as for the experience, I dont really know either. but judging by the wooden coasters I have been on, SW8 wont nearly provide the sensation that makes wooden coasters feel great
    • CommentAuthorInkyz

Just to clarify, I wasn't trying to attack anyone based on their opinion but was rather just stating my own. Not sure why I've had slightly aggressive responses, I'm saying that SW8 probably won't be as bad as it looks and if it is, you know what? That sucks. But increasing attendance levels is critical for Towers right now, and this addition is gonna succeed in that.
    you seemed to be using the "it will draw crowds" excuse as a way to dismiss anyone else's opinion on the ride. you asked why people disliked sw8, so I gave a response. in return you just came back saying that I shouldn't be picky
    •  
      CommentAuthorskyasaurus

To put in my two cents, everyone who suspects a subpar ride from GCI hasn't ridden enough GCIs. And just like UncleArly said, renders and actual ride experiences are often wildly different. I remember thinking Renegade was gonna be a weak ride when I first saw the POV, and now years later it continues to be a breathtaking onslaught from start to finish and is probably the best ride at Valleyfair.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

^But most, if not all of the other GCI's didn't have restrictions as harsh as AT's has. It has to be under a certain volume. Despite the wonders GCI has done, a low volume means they can't really make it THAT fast, especially since it's a wooden and would cause a lot more noise in general.

Like I said before, it's not a matter of AT or GCI putting together a bad coaster, it's a matter of the park restrictions being so brutally, well, restricting that it's going to be very hard to make something good out of it. Will it be a fun coaster? Probably, all coasters are fun. But I doubt it's going to be anything spectacular.
    •  
      CommentAuthorelement 115

Erm.. Nobody WANTS this ride to be bad... Im sure everybody here would love it if by some miracle it maintains a decent speed and has great forces, ive always wanted to see a great fast paced wooden coaster at Alton. However there is no denying that from what you can see at the moment, this layout is just not going to deliver a very good ride. I will happily eat my words if it starts flying around the layout on testing but just looking at the barley banked (and at one point completely flat) turns, i highly doubt its possible, even if it has decent lateral forces. No one is hating on this ride to try and win anything.

EDIT: Comment has vanished.
    •  
      CommentAuthorskyasaurus

Not every ride can be in the Top 10. Only 10 rides can be in the top 10.

I'll also disagree on the restrictions making worse rides...Alton's restrictions gave us Oblivion and Nemesis, and their other custom coasters are also pretty dang creative. Forcing the park to think outside the box is what bred the innovation that makes the park a destination for a fairly diverse crowd. Diversity in audience is the best move for parks financially, and parks are businesses.
    • CommentAuthornSeven

But if noise is a major problem...you don't then hire a company that makes noisy coasters... That's just extremely silly. For the land involved, they should have resurrected the suspended swinger with a cab-less model. You could get a lot out of that hillside with a model like that and barely a fraction of the noise.

The decision is just fracking weird to me. Ever since 13, I just don't get the strategy here...
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox

Because theming a family coaster to a horror/dark theme and putting a giant ass skull statue thing is a great way to draw the kids in. Great work Alton.
    •  
      CommentAuthorUncleArly

Not much different to theming a family coaster to horror/dark theme and putting a creepy possessed girl telling people they 'better not go alone' and also marketing it as a 'psycoaster' yet that draws in plently of kids in.
    ^ Does it actually draw in people though? You say it does, but Alton didn’t exactly have bumper years after they introduced it. No big surge in park visitors, no ridiculous queues. They got a surge when they built the Smiler though, why? Because it was a substantial coaster that lived to what it said it was. Twisted, 14 inversions. It was so popular it had 4 hour queues.

Thirteen is just a filler that people will do when there’s nothing better. Not one person goes to Alton Towers specifically to ride it. Dressing it up as anything other than a dull family coaster does not fool the general public.