Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2017

But

That's the joke
    •  
      CommentAuthorCrazycoaster
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2017 edited

^^ I do have to say, other than the generic wooden track rather than RMC's IBeam/Topper track, I can't really see any major differences between 'GFI's and RMC. And People arn't gunna call them GFI's purely for that. What would you consider are the biggest differences?

Saying that, your dedication to the support structure is incredible, how long does it take you to do? It looks excellent.

I do have one issue however, and that is with your lack of Catwalks. RMC doesn't need to use catwalks along the track due to the strength of their metal track. It doesn't need the daily inspections that wooden coasters generally need. If your coaster utilises a generic wooden coaster track, you might want to consider catwalks as a necessity, or the daily inspections are gunna take waaaay longer. Take a look at the inversion on Hades, it still has a catwalk following its entire length due to the wooden track.
    The differences I think makes my rides different from RMC's is based on how I design them mostly. I design them to be fun and exciting rides without throwing too much into the layout that can make some of the elements kinda uncomfortable. Sometimes it feels like RMC packs so much into their rides that depending on the rider the ride can be a less enjoyable experience. I design rides based on the comfort of everyone that would ride them and they're basically high thrill family rides. Also I design my rides to have prolonged airtime over each of the airtime hills instead of short bursts of intense airtime like on RMC's. Yes my coasters can easily look like RMC's but go ride Valkyrie and Wendigo, they're out of control rides but I just feel like they're more dialed in when it comes to enjoyability and g-forces compared to RMC's.

The track that would probably be used on rides like Valkyrie, Wendigo, and Magnus would be more like Intamin's Pre-Fab coaster track but just more maintenance friendly when it comes to inspections. (Need for less catwalks along the layout)

The supports I do usually are a mix of RMC's and Intamin Pre-Fab supports, but if you go study the supports I did on my project Valkyrie there are slight differences between and RMC's. If I could find a way to use double Ledger beams to support over-banked turns and inversions structurely I probably would, but both RMC and Gravity Group has only used Steal Ledgers to support over-banks and inversions so far.

Hopefully this helps
    UPDATE!

So I've finished the second airtime hill and the over-banked U-turn element. I'm really liking how the supports are turning out and this project in general. I had to add a steel structure in the middle of the bridged section on the second airtime hill just for more support. Really can't wait to start on the custom station and entrance area.

I've also been pretty busy at work lately, got to walk up and inspect both Leviathans and Behemoths lift hills and brake run areas which was fun. Soon I'll be getting to train ride operators on them as well.

poster-2017-03-23-17-34-57
    poster-2017-03-23-17-37-06
    poster-2017-03-23-18-54-47
    poster-2017-03-23-18-56-20
    poster-2017-03-23-18-57-47
    poster-2017-03-23-18-59-52
    Picture of the lift hill because I love it.
    poster-2017-03-23-19-01-32
    Sexy diving over-banked turnaround
    poster-2017-03-23-19-05-44
    Looking down the first drop
    Gorgeous as always, the lighting makes the supports look even better!
    I can't get over that over-banked turnaround. It's goddamn gorgeous.
    Any tips or tricks on speeding up the hand supporting process?
    Thanks guys!

Tips for hand supporting wooden coasters

- Lots of patience
    - Use the pre-fab footers for support spacing, but just place down your own footers so they dont get deleted
    - Use the copy and paste feature for sure
    - Lots of reference pictures (I don't really need them since I've done this for pretty much every coaster)
    - Try to get the width of the footers around 3 meters apart. (doesn't apply for over-banked turns, inversions and the entrances and exits of them.

There's really no way to speed up the process it just depends how much time you have and the dedication you have to finishing projects. But in the end they will look a whole lot better than the pre-fabs
    •  
      CommentAuthorintim305
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2017

^ I can add a bit to that

- make sure that the shaping and everything is completely finished and you're 100% happy with it, because after the supports start there's no turning back
    - use the snap tool to your advantage, it can make sure everything is built on the same plane, and on the same rotational axis
    - make the tallest bent first so that every other one is just copy/paste/delete (besides the higher banked parts, those require a bit of extra work)
    - don't forget about offsets so beams don't end up going through other beams, utilize the built in offsets on the beam setting rather than moving free nodes so everything stays clean on the right plane
    - it's easier to get the banking lined up better by looking at it from a perspective view close to the angle of the track where the bent is
    - leave the diagonal bracing between bents till close to the end so that it can use fewer beams and look cleaner
    - handrails on turns usually require more nodes than there are bents, so placing an extra free node for the railing to bend with is fine (and autogen catwalks aren't cheating)
    - set vertical beams to orient on the vertical axis, it may not do anything initially but when your rotate the whole bent to line up for the next one it makes sure they rotate as well, since with a horizontal orientation they don't
    - listen to music or something it makes the process a little more enjoyable
    - REFERENCE PICTURES!!!! you really can learn a lot about how these rides are built by looking at existing ones

but in the long run it really is just time and determination that get the job done, the outcome is great if you're willing to work for it
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2017

Just like I make my Japanese roller slides from supports, "simple" track connectors and free nodes.
    I also find that it helps when you're supporting an over-banked turn or a inversion is to start supporting them in the middle and move your way back. this makes the process a bit faster because you can have the the supports pass tunnel testing than you can work your way down to the normal 3m width supports.
    • CommentAuthorMr. E
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2017

Is it harder/more time consuming to do the bents or beams that run between the bents?
    I would say that actually doing the track ledgers is the most time consuming part of custom supporting a wooden coaster
    A quick update here on Magnus, I've finished supporting up to the middle of the over-banked turnaround between the two inversions. I'll probably have supporting done within the month depending how much free time I have. Here are some editor shots to show you the progress till I post in-game shots whenever I get home tonight!

02e32de022374e4ffcc3561290961320
    c06147de294d8a9df91b1c280ce9325d
    9b46255d16a330032dd0665a99020470
    8dda9750302d38a4f645c2d80cd4ab85
    rmc/10
    ^

Looks nice