Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthormwmayerle
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2016 edited

So I've been tinkering with this. It's obviously a Gerstlauer Smiler Infinity coaster ripoff thing. It has 19 inversions currently. #20 should be a pre-lift barrel roll. If I'm magical I'll actually be able to support it and time a duel, but we'll see. I really hope the "journey" to the first loop doesn't end up being stupidly long but that might have to happen.

Wow, that looks epic!
    Could you post more pictures of this amazing creation?
    i would be interested in a top down view, looks pretty mental, i wish you good luck with the supports.
    And there it goes.... my 20 Inversion Coaster idea xD That Layout looks really good.
    Wow. I was about to start one of these.
    • CommentAuthormwmayerle
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2016

Thanks for the replies. I actually finished the layout this afternoon instead of studying for finals because I'm a bad student. Here's an overhead for those who asked. I guess it's a smooshed hexagon layout? Anyways transfer track/table needs to be added still, but this is pretty much it aside from minor tweaks here and there.

You're going to have to sacrifice someone to the gods of clearance.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRobotnik

Erm... good luck theming and supporting this thing. It looks like you'll need it.
    • CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2016 edited

I don't envy your supporting predicament at all.
    As awesome as that looks, it may infact be impossible to realistically support
    •  
      CommentAuthorcheetah

^I beg to differ element.

I had to support a similarrly crazy layout for AJclarke, I think this can be managed as well. It's gonna look crazy!
    • CommentAuthormwmayerle
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2016

Tunnel testing!

• CommentAuthorTheBeatles
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2016

Tunnel test + clearance envelope = ?
    • CommentAuthormwmayerle
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2016

Trains already have the envelope on them :-D
    ^^ Totally zero chance to fail xD
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery

^Grammar
    •  
      CommentAuthorRobotnik

^5: Stick some concrete meatballs in there and you'll have a statue of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.
    • CommentAuthormwmayerle
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2016 edited

Luckily Karnan exists so I can pretty much do whatever I want with the supports. What makes it tricky is that this is taller than Smiler and it's not on the hillside like Smiler is, so we'll see what happens. The supports Smiler uses on its vertical lift for example will not work on this at all. I plan on doing the high up supports (lift hills) first and hoping for the best from there. I'll probably have to ruin the fat loop with extra supports too since none of the existing fat loops have 4 car trains.
    • CommentAuthormwmayerle
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2016 edited

So this is the two loopy drops and like 1/5th of the first lift (non-vertical). I did a super small part of the wraparound loop ("new" inversion that someone invents once a year). Still lots to do and the supports already look like that, but it should we hope be the most annoying area. Muh clearances.

Also I never posted a complete rundown of the inversions here, so here it is in order:
    1. Barrel roll
    2. Rolly drop thing
    3+4. Sea Serpent
    5. "immelman" according to Gerstlauer (it's a 170 degree overbank)
    6+7. Wraparound loop
    8+9. Bowtie-ish thing
    10. Corkscrew
    --------------
    11. Rolly drop thing #2
    12. Fat Loop, (mine gets -0.3 G's of hangtime)
    13+14. Norwegian Loop
    15. Corkscrew
    16. Inclined Loop
    17+18. Cobra Roll
    19+20 Rising corkscrewish/barrel rollish sequence

So that's 4 corkcrews if you count the rolly drops, and 3 barrel rolls even though they're all mostly different (and one of them is definitely half and half). I didn't want to repeat inversions too much and make it have 10 zero G rolls like most similar attempts at this I've seen. Thanks for the interest so far. I'll try to have real colors soon instead of just whitewash.

Also the trains do almost duel. Part 2 is a weeee bit slower and I'm trying to figure out how to speed it up a bit relative to the first part. Sometimes they're in the final knot together, sometimes they're not at the moment.
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery

Posted By: mwmayerle19+209.

oh ok
    • CommentAuthormwmayerle
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2016

I fixed it ya smartass lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery

lol

Seriously though, this is mental. Great job so far
    Are you supporting the track from start to finish? Cause it looks like you are going to have a lot of unnecessary supports.
    • CommentAuthormwmayerle

I'm trying to do top-down in a large wave across the whole ride. I'm using that approach because if I go start to finish then I'll have to keep deleting things and modifying them. It works well for spaghetti bowls. The problem is getting the lateral bracing in. I can't have a 115ft vertical lift held up on two poles. I'm trying to use other parts of the ride to help deal with the lateral bracing issue, hence one lifthill attaching to the inversion of another part of the ride. The Smiler gets away with a ton using the topography that I don't get to do, and it's also smaller in general.
    Aren't you going to terraform, or have some raised concrete areas with trenches? Because your ride is lower down where the cobra roll is, it would seem strange to have the other section floating up in the air (initial drops are exception).
    •  
      CommentAuthorProjektion

^ Not just that, but if you alter the terrain after you support the ride, it will with supports and possibly the clearance, meaning you'll have to go through and check/modify them all again.

Amaing layout on the ride itself, most people try to go for something a lot more Smiler like when they do these high inversion rides (parallel lifts, generally straight and rectangular/back and forth layouts, etc), myself included. So seeing your more condensed spaghetti bowl version feels a bit more refreshing.
    • CommentAuthormwmayerle

Look for dark green in the pic above with all of the tunnels. I've already got the terrain set up :)
    • CommentAuthormwmayerle
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2016

Here's a quick POV shot. Yes it all passes the clearance envelope test, and it passed tunnel test (on differing blocks) before I started supporting. Expect supporting quality to get....special when I get to the wraparound loop (thing the first drops pass through) since I have no idea how I'm going to do that

It looks awesome, but I'm not entirely sure about the name, it sounds a bit.. rape-y.
    • CommentAuthorJAKool

"Hello children, allow me to DEFILE you, MUAHAHAHAHAH!"
    • CommentAuthormwmayerle

My play on words project name is not liked lol
    • CommentAuthorarktic2

defibrillator would be better and sounds amazingly close to what you have>> if your looking for a name change without having to change it much XD
    •  
      CommentAuthorUncleArly
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2016

"Defibrillation is a common treatment for life-threatening cardiac dysrhythmias and ventricular fibrillation."

I'm not so sure...
    ^It is sort of fitting as you would probably need one
    • CommentAuthorBigbad
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2016

Yeah, but coasters are named after the threat, not the treatment. Kings Dominion has the Grizzly and Intimidator 305, not Tranquilizer Dart and Airbag!

The RMC T-Rex track is supposed to be really strong and not need much for support, right?
    lol You guys are looking into this too literally. Defibrillator would be a pretty decent name since it would imply that your heart has stopped (i.e. the ride took your breath away/the life out of you, etc). I feel like I've even seen IRL flat rides with that name, although I could just be thinking of RCT lol.

There are definitely options for other names though. The Defiler is pretty weird.
    If the end had a splashdown into holy water or maybe a quick holy water sprayer in the exit line, you could keep the current name.
    Posted By: BigbadKings Dominion has the Grizzly and Intimidator 305, not Tranquilizer Dart and Airbag!

I laughed a little too hard at this
    • CommentAuthormwmayerle
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2016

Still figuring out what to do with this area....
    well you could do Azog the defiler. He was the white villain orc from the hobbit movies. Could actually do some interesting 3d work to make it seem like it's the battle of 5 armies or something if you wanted to keep the name

or I've always thought of a defiler as some sort of machine from final fantasy. Like the robotic walker looking things. maybe a bit steam punk added to the theme
    • CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2016

I can't wait to ride so I, too, can be defiled.
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2016

Posted By: CrazycoasterIt looks awesome, but I'm not entirely sure about the name, it sounds a bit.. rape-y.

k den.
    What about a ride themed to a super hero...THE INVERTER!
    • CommentAuthormwmayerle
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2016

Good to know I can inspire a rousing discussion of rape. I'm still sticking to my point that it's not the primary definition in the dictionary of the word, and it's still a project title, not the actual name of the ride.

Since I no longer have a 6 day a week class I actually have time to do stuff now.

It has always bothered me that this ride would probably be the most valley-prone thing in existence if it was ever built for whatever the ridiculous price tag would be, so in a couple flat sections I added some magnetic fins which act as both a trim brake or as a small booster. My idea is that if the booster is used once then the ride gets mad and shuts itself down, which would greatly prevent valleying. These could also serve as a trim brake (**unforeseen consequences**). The ride runs currently on gravity in the nice little closed-system NL2 provides so they're not used and the ride runs entirely on gravity.

Supporting is starting to get interesting on this. Think I can get away with having the fat loop's top as unsupported as it is? It pulls -0.2 G's though the whole element, meanwhile the bottom hits 4.5G's, hence the jungle in that area.

More supporting havoc

And in closing I provide an overview of my jungle. Yes I know I need to add another storage area for the 4th train, and one of these days I'll actually color the ride. I don't want it to be a whitewash.
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2016 edited

• CommentAuthorDelay
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2016 edited

That's some serious sh*t. I'm impressed!

Btw: If that ride would exist in RL, everyone here would give it a go, right? Right?

PS: The tunnel test looks like spaghetti.
    • CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2016

I can't wait to be defiled by your new ride!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2016

Posted By: DelayBtw: If that ride would exist in RL, everyone here would give it a go, right?Right?

Hell yes! This thing looks awesome!
    If alton builds it they will break their record
    • CommentAuthorInkyz
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2016

Why. Would alton build it