Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthor6FlagsManiac
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2016 edited

I've finally gotten around to starting my FVD++ tutorials, the first and second part are both up on youtube now! I've also included a shorter video for more advanced users with some advanced tips! This is my first time doing anything like this so I'm sorry if there are any areas I'm unclear on or if I make any mistakes (I'll try not to move the camera around as much in the future, sorry about that!). If you have any questions at all please use this thread or the comments section to ask and I will be sure to answer everyone's questions with as much detail as possible! I hope you enjoy, please leave feedback, It's the best way for me to improve!

Link to my channel where you will find the videos!
    • CommentAuthorBigbad
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2016

I watched the advanced video. When you're using quadratic blend in and blend out functions sequentially, you definitely end up with something that looks like the cubic transition (which I've just realized looks like a cube root, but whatever). It seems like it would be very difficult to line them up perfectly so that the piece-wise function is differentiable. What are your thoughts on this? How much do you think it matters?

(Mathematician, not engineer.)

Anyway, I'm always happy to see people discussing FVD++. I've gotten good with some aspects of the program, but there are still elements that I can't make (top hat).
    You can definitely line them up perfectly, it just takes a bit of fiddling around. The point is that it should end up looking like a cubic transition, however by essentially splitting the cubic into two parts you are given more control over the shape of the transition - more so than you would by simply using a cubic transition.

As for the top hat, that can be something I cover in the next advanced tutorial if people would like to see it! :)
    • CommentAuthorBigbad

I'd definitely like to see a top hat tutorial. I've seen one for Newton (someone named Entropy), but then I tried it out in FVD++ and got confused when I have to transition from pitching up to rotating. Adjusting roll speed rather than roll itself is part of the trouble.

There are a few places where I'd like to do a top hat: out-and-back turnaround, inversion on an invert, and the usual Intamin launch coaster, though more of a blitz coaster than Ka or Dragster.
    Posted By: BigbadI've seen one for Newton (someone named Entropy)

Just to fill you in, Entropy was the guy who created Newton. So he knows what he's talking about but at the same time the tutorials are very generic and fundamental.

Always good to have more FVD++ tutorials though, as it's definitely the tool that's here to stay. Good work Bjorn!
    • CommentAuthorBigbad

I don't question his skills in Newton; he made a good top hat. The approach doesn't work for me in FVD++, though.
    • CommentAuthorA113

you can make a fairly solid top hat using geometric transitions, get the track vertical and change the yaw, the track will roll naturally
    • CommentAuthorBigbad

I tried that and had considerably more success in making a top hat, though I kept losing all of my speed at the top and getting an extremely narrow hat. I think that's because of how long I took to get to vertical, though. I might try again tomorrow.
    • CommentAuthorA113
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2016

Yeah, trial and error comes with the territory of using the software.. you're ultimately going to have to overlap a lot of these variables, as they aren't usually sequential if that makes sense
    • CommentAuthorBigbad
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2016

I overlap variables all the time with my other elements. I haven't been for the top hat because Ka and Dragster look sequential. Now I've overlapped variables and gotten a decent top hat.

It's hardly good, but it's clearly a top hat. Now I have to play with the roll axis more to eliminate excessive laterals on the way down. Controlling forces, particularly laterals, is why I tend not to use geometric zones.
    Great Tutorial! I'd love a tutorial on top hats, there definitely one of the harder elements. Maybe one on Cobra Rolls? I don't know why, but I've always had trouble with them.
    Thank you! Very sorry about the delay in tutorials, I've been very busy. I will definitely have at least one uploaded tomorrow!

I will probably be making a tutorial on top hats very soon! :)
    Hey guys part 3 is now uploaded on my channel! Click the link in the original post to find it. Enjoy :)
    Hey guys Part 4 is now up! Hope you all enjoy it's one a few people have asked for.

Unfortunately, I am leaving for boarding school in the early morning (finishing my last high school credits before heading to university) and won't have access to internet for 2 months. This means I won't be able to upload any new videos. I think the ones I've uploaded are sufficient for newer users to use to get familiar with the program over the next couple months. I'll try my best to record new videos while at school so I can drop a "stockpile" of them when I return, covering advanced elements and concepts as well as the simpler ones. Very sorry if this is inconvenient for those of you who were learning from my videos, they will return! This also means I'll be away from the community during this time, so bye for the moment everyone! :)