Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2016 edited

Liseberg 2016 Video

Hey guys,

finally I got around to write up a report about my trip to Liseberg. I'll just rate the rides we've been on and the park with a few pictures interspersed throughout the text since I'm an old man and can't remember the correct order of the attractions. ;) Anywho, let's get started:

Lisebergbanan

• Review
    • This is definitely the most iconic ride in the park. Perfectly built on the hilside at which the park is located it delivers a fun experience with a lot of twists, turns and drops. Depending on your seating positions there might be even small pops of airtime. Just be careful when the train enters the final brakes: The further you are in the back of the train the harder it is to avoid banging your head against the headrest after braking. On both days me and my friend hit our head so hard we had a headache afterwards sitting in the middle and back row.
    • Fun rating
    • 7/10
    • Thrill rating
    • 4/10
    • Waiting time
    • 2-5 min
    • Other
    • Definitely worth a ride. Brace yourself for the final brakes, haha.

Balder

• Review
    • Being an Intamin pre-fab this coaster surely packs a punch. Unfortunately, we were still affected by Lisebergbanan's brakes, so we couldn't enjoy Balder as much as we could have otherwise. Although the jolts aren't as extreme as on Colossus they were slightly noticeable, and even more so with a headache. We've only ridden it once since we didn't want ruin our stay at the park. At least, the first drop in the back row was amazing and the bunny hops were pretty fun. My friend even said they feel like bunny hops although he isn't a coaster nerd. lol
    • Fun rating
    • 8/10 (headache isn't taken into account)
    • Thrill rating
    • 7.5/10
    • Waiting time
    • 5 min
    • Other
    • Fun and thrill at the same time. Just needs to be less jolting.

Rabalder

• Review
    • A smaller ride actually built for children, but we loved it. In the back row you got pulled pretty nicely on the small first drop and while the layout is pretty short and compact, it was actually really fun. You get two laps, too.
    • Fun rating
    • 5/10
    • Thrill rating
    • 2/10
    • Waiting time
    • 0 min
    • Other
    • It's more fun than it looks to be.

Stampbanan

• Review
    • Well, let's not talk about this one. The ride-op looked at us weirdly when we entered the ride. Let's just say the coaster was there.
    • Fun rating
    • 3/10
    • Thrill rating
    • 0.5/10
    • Waiting time
    • 0 min
    • Other
    • Don't enter that ride without a child.

•  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix

Kanonen

• Review
    • The other Intamin coaster at the park. Having ridden Desert Race I honestly didn't expect too much of Kanonen, but I should stand corrected. The launch was short but intense. The top hat was awesome to ride both in the front and the back row. And the rest of the layout felt "complete" while still being very very compact. The twisted airtme hill also hit us quite by surprise. When we wanted to go in the last row for the first time the ride-op even had to tell us to move to anterior rows because otherwise the train wouldn't have cleared the top hat since it was only half-full at that time. Eventually, there were so many people they could fill the whole train, though. One time the train almost stalled on the top hat nevertheless as only kids were in the first four rows. We barely made it over the top hat and even got hangtime in the loop (keep in mind we were in the last row!). Unfortunately, there was no rollback, but it was a ride not like any other.
    • Fun rating
    • 7/10
    • Thrill rating
    • 7/10
    • Waiting time
    • 0-2 min
    • Other
    • Don't let the small size of the coaster fool you. It's more intense than it seems to be.

AtmosFear

• Review
    • I'm not really nervous before coasters anymore (with few exceptions), but drop towers are what get me everytime. Particularly when it's huge like AtmosFear. The first ride was the most thrilling one, of course - partly because the ride-op started a countdown: "10 ... 9 ... 8 ... 7 ... just kidding!" - and downwards we went! That was amazing (and kinda mean, lol). At night you have an amazing view over the city from the top, but be careful: The seats don't rotate, so you're stuck with looking in one direction. At least, on our last ride we were clever enough to find out which seats we needed to take. :P I didn't shake because of excitement, but because it was freezing cold (on Friday at 10 pm it had about 10°C/50°F at the ground).
    • Fun rating
    • 8/10
    • Thrill rating
    • 9/10
    • Waiting time
    • 1-5 min
    • Other
    • It's a drop tower. A tall one. And it's located on top of a hill.

FlumeRide

• Review
    • I've been on quite a few log flumes, but this one was still kinda special. Instead of having a order of element that goes lift-drop-another lift-another drop there is a lift, then another lift, the first drop and almost directly after that the second drop. You also don't get too wet if you let the heavier person sit in the back row.
    • Fun rating
    • 6/10
    • Thrill rating
    • 2.5/10
    • Waiting time
    • 0 min
    • Other
    • Only flume ride I know that has a dual station.

House of Mirrors

• Review
    • Well, it's a house of mirrors, lol. Pretty fun, though. And they have fun house mirrors, too.
    • Fun rating
    • 5/10
    • Thrill rating
    • 0/10
    • Waiting time
    • 0 min
    • Other
    • Easy to find the exit since it isn't too big. ;)

Kaninlandsbanan

• Review
    • Having had supper we searched for something relaxing and quickly found Kaninlandsbanan. You pedal along a track in a vintage car while going faster the more you actually pedal. Since it was getting cold we needed some kind of physical activity - perfect ride for that.
    • Fun rating
    • 4/10
    • Thrill rating
    • 0/10
    • Waiting time
    • 0 min
    • Other
    • You have a nice view of Helix and other attractions on the hillside.

•  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix

The Liseberg Wheel

• Review
    • Another relaxing ride with great view over the park and the city of Gothenburg, especially when it's getting dark or at night. On our second day we managed to get just about right on the ferris wheel to watch a beautiful sunset. The picture below cannot capture how asthetic it actually was, but it gives you an idea at least.
    • Fun rating
    • 5/10
    • Thrill rating
    • 0/10
    • Waiting time
    • 1-3 min
    • Other
    • Don't forget to go on this ride unless you want to miss out on a great view.

DNA Spiral Helix

• Review
    • I bet this is what you all want to hear about, so I put it at the end of the list, muahaha. :P As I said above I'm practically never nervous before riding coasters, but Helix managed to get me excited once again (I love that feeling). It probably was more anticipation than nervousness, though. The queuing area itself is a little long (in opposite to the lines luckily), but at least you can recover a bit from rides. Finally, we found ourselves in the incredibly comfortable Mack seats. And there we go - right into the action. The drop out of the station even hit me by surprise on one of the re-rides since I'm not used to relentless rides which never slow down - 1 minute and 30 seconds of pure fun and thrill without having the chance to take a break.
      Despite the launch not being very powerful you can feel the acceleration nonetheless, but knowing you are already going fast and you are still accelerating definitely makes up for it. The ejector airtime of the actual airtime hills combined with floater airtime on pretty much every inversion feels fantastic, the turns and twists are forceful and can be surprising (especially if you don't know the exact layout aka riding the first time), the bottom of the pretzel loop is the most forceful part. Although you can feel some vibrations especially on high-force sections of the ride they are in no way uncomfortable. And just when you think it is over you turn around into the second launch which is followed by an amazing top hat and a wonderful airtime hill which doesn't look tall unless you notice the exit lies way lower than the entrance. The zic-zac part near the end was pretty fun and the final heartline roll concludes a really breathtaking ride ... although I like Blue Fire's heartline roll a tad more since you literally get thrown out of your seat. But this is still an awesome ending to an awesome coaster.
      Btw, back row is the right way to go!
    • Fun rating
    • 9.5/10
    • Thrill rating
    • 9/10
    • Waiting time
    • 2-5 min
    • Other
    • Helix is an outstanding ride beautifully constructed on the hillside which makes the coaster look even taller from the ground - it just sits enthroned watching over the whole park. Don't miss out, but you'll be at Liseberg because of Helix anyway, won't you? ;) Did you know the soundtrack is up for download (for free)?

The park itself

The park was clean and had definitely many beautiful spots, the staff was extremely friendly (like all Swedish people, except one bus driver - but that's another story, lol). It looks a little crammed, particularly in the area for smaller children, but it's still charming. You can even use the moving stairs to get to the top of the hill, but if you use the ones near the entrance make sure you don't get dizzy when looking up or down the stairs. Concentrate on the picture at the sides of the "tubes". The only thing which was kinda annyoing were the wristband. If you go for two days you have to wear two of them and can't take them off until you leave the park on the second day. The park looks gorgeous at night btw, so make sure you'll be there after sunset at least once.
    Anyway, it was an amazing experience and I wish I could go to Liseberg again someday.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. If you find any spelling mistakes you can keep them to yourself. ;) Thanks a lot for reading until this point!
    • CommentAuthorStevenX
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2016

Liseberg is pretty great. I don't recall Lisebergbanan's braking being violent though! Balder is really fun, and Helix is pretty incredible. The whole park is really nicely situated and charming I think.
    • CommentAuthorlore_sully

This trip report reminds me of the awesome two days i spent there last year. Definitely need to come back!
    Great TR by the way, i hope you have done the horror house in the port/pirate (?) area, which is by far the best themed one i've ever been in!
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

Ooh, that's a pity you both hit your head on Lisebergbanan, you certainly can't enjoy a park the same way with a headache. :/
    Otherwise I hope you could appreciate the incredible smoothness of the ride! I mean, the track geometry is sometimes a bit iffy, but it almost feels like we're on an air cushion.

I like that we do two laps on Rabalder, especially as I was able to switch seat inbetween (going from right seat to left seat, I'm not dumb enough to try switching row! x)..), and that's rather unusual (and useless... but worth a mention).

For Stampbanan, I never had any discomfort riding this cute thing. And I found it too be pretty smooth actually. A good kiddy, but granted once is enough.

I think I always had hangtime (or at least zero-g) at the top of Kanonen's loop, hence why it's my favorite small loop! :D

-

Can't wait for the second part, especially the small green coaster (I think its name is Spiral or something), and as lore_sully said, HOTEL GASTEN!
    Wow, this is actually pretty useful. I'm especially glad you mentioned Lisebergbanan's brake - that might have screwed me over a little :P
    Also nice to have a general idea of what's most worth riding.
    Lisebergsbana had a better brake last time I was there. They also said they were going to put magnetic brakes on it. But after that I didn't hear much about the new brakes.
    Warning: dont stick your hand out the train of lisebergbana. If your unlucky as I am so felt a plant like a knive and there was blod all over me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix

Thank you very much for comments, guys! The last part of the report is up.

Posted By: lore_sullyi hope you have done the horror house in the port/pirate (?) area
    Unfortunately, we haven't since I'm not a huge fan of horror houses or ghost trains.

Posted By: KingRCT3For Stampbanan, I never had any discomfort riding this cute thing. And I found it too be pretty smooth actually. A good kiddy, but granted once is enough.
    Yeah, it wasn't bad, but you should have seen the ride-op's face ("Oh man, do they never grow up?"). :D (You also get three laps to ride!)

Also, I want to mention that the video of our trip can be watched over here. Have fun! :)
    Awesome trip report -- glad you had a great time! How high up is Helix in your Top 10?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix

^Well, Silver Star will always be my number 1 (yeah, that sounds kinda weird, doesn't it? :D) since it was the actual beginning of my coaster addiction, so I'd rank it probably second place with third being Kärnan (might change soon again, though).
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox

Thanks for making me reach a whole new level of jealousy
    • CommentAuthorInkyz

I'd like to kindly remind you that you have Boulder Dash and Wicked Cyclone
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

Posted By: baadrixUnfortunately, we haven't since I'm not a huge fan of horror houses or ghost trains.

Oooh bummer! Liseberg's house isn't very scary as they aren't that many jumpscares or actors screaming at you. It's more an atmosphere. And the scenery is absolutely beautiful!
    Well, it's only yet another pretext to go back there in the upcoming years! :D

Posted By: baadrixyou should have seen the ride-op's face ("Oh man, do they never grow up?"). :D (You also get three laps to ride!)

Hahaha, it reminds me the miniature kiddie at Movieland. We were two adults, and nobody else around. The ride op literally said to us: "Well, I start the ride and you guys tell me when you have enough."

Staff edit (baadrix): Fixed your link. :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox

Posted By: InkyzI'd like to kindly remind you that you have Boulder Dash and Wicked Cyclone

But not Helix :(