Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorKozzy
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2016

Hello,
    I used to own the original coaster builder from Disney on 3.5 floppy. A cool tool/game.
    I want a new one.
    With Planet Coaster on the horizon, which will be best. Planet Coaster or NoLimits 2 ???
    - Are they the same company?
    - Any thoughts?
    - On NoLimits 2, where is the watermark?
    - Anything else I should know?
    - How can I tell what graphics card I have? I am sure it will be sufficient, but I guess I need to check.
    Thanks
    Koz
    It really depends on what you are looking for. Are you looking for a realistic designer and simulator or are you looking for a more 'easy-access' sandbox game?
    • CommentAuthorjakecallan

- Are they the same company? - Nope, Planet Coaster is made by Frontier, the same guys that made RCT3.
    - Any thoughts? - Do some research on both games, just simply you tubing them will give you loads of info to make a judgement from. As TheDarkStar says its really all about what you are looking to achieve with the game.
    - On NoLimits 2, where is the watermark? - If you have pro version there will be no watermark on videos, the normal will have a water mark at the bottom center of your videos.
    - Anything else I should know? - Research them both, its real easy.
    - How can I tell what graphics card I have? I am sure it will be sufficient, but I guess I need to check. - Simply googling "how to check my graphics card" I was able to find this for you,

Click Start.
    On the Start menu, click Run.
    In the Open box, type "dxdiag" (without the quotation marks), and then click OK.
    The DirectX Diagnostic Tool opens. Click the Display tab.
    On the Display tab, information about your graphics card is shown in the Device section. You can see the name of your card, as well as how much video memory it has.
    • CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2016 edited

You can't compare the two, they're completely different. Do you want a simulation with realistic graphics whose purpose is to make roller coasters, or a game with cartoon graphics that focuses on park simulation as a whole?

If you need a quick, cheap fix that needs absolutely basic graphics, I'd actually recommend Parkitect. It's about $15 on Steam, and is basically the perfect mix of NL2, RCT2, and PC and has a heavy modding community and has a minimal learning curve.
    • CommentAuthornSeven

PC will be the next big RCT style milestone for the theme park genre in the coming year. So...if that's what you enjoy, then that is what it is.

NL2 is a tinkerer's dream - when you want ultimate control as a coaster enthusiast. As far as I've seen, PC's coaster editor simply cannot make what NL2 can, however its scope is much greater, focusing on the entire park and most importantly, the guest experience.
    • CommentAuthorBigbad
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2016

I suspect the answer is no, but could Planet Coaster support a track from FVD++?
    • CommentAuthornSeven
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2016

Your no would be correct, haha. As far as I know, there is no method for UGC - but even beyond that, you're talking about two completely different file types. You'd need a modder to create an importer specifically designed to take that file type and replicate it in PC.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2016 edited

This is simplified, but tendentially you should ask yourself:
    • if you're interested in building and managing a whole theme park, then PC might be the better choice.
    • if you're interested in building and simulating some high detailed coasters, then NL2 might be the better choice.

Note that you can of course can build just a single coaster (as far as I know also with custom scenery objects) in PC and you can also build a whole theme park in NL2.

Some more random comparisons:
    • While PC is developed by a gamining company, mainly three people develop NL2.
    • PC is more a game, NL2 is more a simulator.
    • It is known that NL2 is also used by real coaster companies for example to presentate their products and concepts.
    • You will find a bunch of premade scenery objects and rides in PC. if I'm informed correctly you might be able to import own 3d models, but the focus will be more on placing and combining premade or community made objects.
      If you want to build a whole theme park or a themed coaster in NL2, it is required that you create the additional park objects by yourself using a 3d modelling program (some demo objects are included in NL2 and a few community made objects and rides exist).
    • While the tools and features of PC might be a bit more simplyfied for easier "general public" access, the tools and features in NL2 are tendentially more "expert" features.

Note that there's also a free demo of NL2 available, maybe there will be a PC demo, then you can compare both programs, maybe you'll even buy and use both finally.
    Also note that more features might be added to NL2 from time to time that might change things into some new directions maybe.
    • CommentAuthorDelay
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2016 edited

O.K., I'll make this very short:

If you want realism and freedom, and don't really care about people's happiness, buy NoLimits 2

If you want an easier editor with slightly worse results, packed in an amusement park strategy game, buy Planet Coaster or an RCT game.
    Also, can we make it PlC or something? I just got confused with PC as Personal Computer instead of Planet Coaster.
    "Don't really care about people's happiness" -- I wouldn't quite put it that way.
    • CommentAuthorMrX8991
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2016

^ I would. One of the top reasons I got No Limits was because I hate other people and want all of my parks to be closed to everyone.
    • CommentAuthorDelay
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2016

^^ I mean that you don't really care that the "peeps" need more toilets next to your rides or that they need food. You can torture them.

But what do you mean with "I wouldn't quite put it that way"? Do you mean the accuracy of NL coasters to make the community happy??