Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTheBeatles
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2016 edited

After an almost unanimously negative response to my previous project, I decided it was time to find a new approach to creating rides. Usually, I have an idea for a theme, then create a coaster around that theme to achieve that goal. However, as many of you know, this process usually ends up in a short, boring layout (see: X: Reborn, Destroid, Rook Island, etc.).

I also want to take a minute to apologize for my recent posts, as a couple of forum goers have pointed out, I've become a bit over-confident in my ideas, expecting each one to be received as well as the last. Clearly, that's not the way the world works, and I apologize for coming off the way I did.

So, I figured it was time to practice longer, more interesting layouts that still work with my theme ideas (What a concept, right?). What you see below is one of my attempts at a longer layout, with minimal amounts of "filler track" (Destroid's dark ride section, X:Reborn's preshow, etc). I drew most of my inspiration from Mako, Silver Star, and Fury 325.

Big ups to JAKool and Coaster-Lab for offering their advice!

So before everyone goes and tears apart the coaster for not having perfect B&M shaping, that's not really what I'm going for. As I mentioned before, the goal here is really just to have a coaster longer and more entertaining than my usual designs. As you can see, the coaster is just about done, although more tweaks may come as time progresses.

Thanks to A113 for more creative input!

Meanwhile, I've begun working on the heart of the theming, the station house. For this building, I've drawn almost all of my inspiration from older buildings at Disney World, specifically the style of architecture found in Epcot's Futureworld.

Inside, we have the loading/unloading docks. A lot of inspiration for this area comes from The Land's building at Epcot (once again).

Up on the walkways above, we can see the streamers/banners hanging from the ceiling (supports still to be added) and the sliding glass doors to the exterior seating area. While the area is bare as of this moment, I plan on adding a restaurant up here, in addition to indoor seating of some sort.

Back down on the first floor, here's a better look at the division between the queue and the exit path.

As you can see, almost the entire building is still a WIP, and many of the "finished" areas still need nick-nacks like trash cans, lights, signage, etc. Don't be afraid to shout out any ideas you have for more theming!

Aaaand we'll close with this for our first update. A view looking off of the patio.

As I mentioned throughout the post, almost everything you see is still a work in progress. If you see something you don't like, let me know. If you see something you DO like, let me know.

More to come soon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox

I like the way this looks! Hopefully you'll actually finish it this time lol.
    •  
      CommentAuthor6FlagsManiac

I love the inclined loop/helix thing before the MCBR, simple yet exciting. It seems most of the rest of the layout is airtime hills, though this is something we see on most hypers I feel you could have gotten a bit more creative with the layout. That said, it's very aesthetically pleasing and looks to be a fun ride with an efficient footprint and neat themeing. Can't wait to see more, seems you're already pretty far along which is awesome.

P.S. I still think you should finish your previous project, people were just being jerks for no reason other than to be jerks. Haters gonna hate.
    • CommentAuthorBigbad
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2016

The MCBR seems early. It's right after the turnaround. Thinking of other B&M hypers, Nitro has the hammerhead and then at least one air hill and a helix before the MCBR.
    The trains are 4 across so I like it :)
    Wow, this does look really good so far! Solid layout, looks like its shaped well and i cant wait to see what you do with the theme work
    •  
      CommentAuthorelement 115

I know you are not going for proper b&m shaping, but are you still considering it a b&m hyper, or is it more of a "custom" manufacturer? also another big fan of the inclined loop here :)
    • CommentAuthorMrX8991

I'm not seeing an inclined loop in there: looks more like a twisted airtime hill under the MCBR to me if that's what everyone is seeing. Either way, I like the retro future vibe with the station.
    Y'all realise that isn't an inclined loop right? Look a bit closer.

The station looks very Contemporary resort, I like! Very brutalist.
    Small thing haha, those tables look incredibly unstable. Unless the party sitting at them can perfectly balance there weight they will topple over. Plus, having that beam at seat level would make it annoying to sit there. The beam should come from the ground up to the bench for comfort and support.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

Nice project once again, Joseph! I personnally loved the idea behind your previous attemp, bt itsems it wasn't well understood by the community.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBasilisk

TBH i dont really like the layout.
    Not sure about the name
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

Nice project so far joseph! I'm glad to see you working on something that genuinely has thought and effort put into it, and knowing that this is a bigger bite than your past designs is something I'm happy to see, especially compared to your past couple creations. Everyone above has already said nothing but good things, so I don't have much more to add on but I feel you would atleast like some constructive criticism to break it up a bit.

1. The trackwork seems a bit pumpy and places and needs some work. When I look at the ride as a whole, the shaping looks OK and the layout is standard enough for a B&M hyper (although nothing too original, it's still a big step up from your past designs and realistic for a B&M hyper). Getting into specifics with the layout, quite a few of the airtime hills look pretty misshapen, including the second airtime hill and the one directly infront of it later on in the layout. I would take a moment to go back and look around to try and fix that up, yet knowing you made this in Newton, It's pretty difficult to go back and change at this point. If you want a better definition of "misshapen" I would have to specifically say that they look lopsided, and could (potentially?) have a somewhat small pump after the lead in and before the lead out of the parabola itself. Along with this, it seems that the exit to the MCBR is too sharp and doesn't represent the parabolic shape that most B&M drops have. If you have the chance to rework these I would HIGHLY suggest it, and you could have yourself an amazing coaster.

2. Layout -- I'm not a big fan of it. I don't think it's terrible, but I feel it lacks creativity. It's a simple out and back layout which (I guess) is a standard for B&M Hypers, but nothing stops you from putting in a little oomf in it to make it your own. Nonetheless, most B&M hypers follow a similar pattern so I can't necessarily call it bad, but it certainly lacks the creativity that usually comes with some of your past designs.

One thing I do like, however is the scenery. The idea you have going for it is really nice looking and the abstract feel you seem to be going for is definitely hitting hard. Nonetheless, you have a nice creative coaster that follows well with real life design, and managed to pull something off that's nice and do-able in real life, which is a big check in my book. Good work, I'm curious to see where you go with this!

EDIT: I know you said that you weren't intending for perfect shaping, but I'm not taking that as "hey don't say anything about the shaping shhhh"
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2016 edited

Whoa, that's a lot of replies. I appreciate all of the interest, and better yet, the constructive criticism!

Replies

@Paradox, I hope so too. I'd like to think that I've made too much progress already to quit on this one, but we'll wait and see.
    @BigBad, I agree. I've tried moving it to the next airtime hill, but I can't seem to get the shaping right in the editor. The problem is that I created the coaster in Newton, then lost the Newton file, forcing me to make any edits with the NL2 editor, which isn't too simple.
    @element 115, I am still considering this a B&M coaster, I really just meant that recreating B&M shaping isn't my main concern with this ride.
    @Ajax_Coasters, I modeled the tables using the measurements from my old high school. Having sat at them for four years, they seemed okay. I do agree though, in the simulator they do look a bit strange.
    @MrCrolly, I really appreciate this post. Regarding your first point, as you mentioned, and as I mentioned above, I have tried to incorporate some of your changes, but it just doesn't come out right, seeing as I can't edit the track in Newton. In regards to your second point, again, I agree. Part of the reasoning for this is that most of this layout is based on forces (parabolic airtime hills, drop shaping), as opposed to geometry. I haven't been able to spend quite as much time as I would like to learning Blender for track shaping, and therefore didn't feel comfortable creating too many twists and turns. I feel the repetitive layout I have currently kind of helps mask my lack of true shaping. On the flipside, I do have a few theming elements in mind to help make the ride experience more enjoyable in ways that don't involve G-forces.

Update

First off, here's what the "inclined loop" actually looks like from a better, more understandable angle. I don't know what you would call it, other than a high speed banked turn. I apologize for the confusion!

This week, I've been spending time on the patio. I've added a sunshade up above, as well as a slew of other details here and there, including automatic sliding doors and a wheelchair accessible ramp.

Inside, I've created the food stand, Future Burger, that will serve the food that guests will (ideally) take to the patio outside. Prices are a bit ridiculous for the time being, but those will probably change soon.

Texturing Question

Texturing gurus, what types of NL2MATs can I apply to my concrete/stucco textures to make light "interact" with them? As of right now certain walls sort of blend together visually, as seen here:

Closing

Of course, nothing you see here is final, but with each passing day we're getting closer and closer to calling this building done. I'm really excited to make the next building, which will also be one of the biggest ride interactions/theming elements on the coaster.

Stay tuned, and keep the criticism coming!
    • CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2016

If you ever do a sequel to this ride, please call it 'Escape From Tomorrow 2: Return To Yesterday'.
    That 'inclined loop' has so much of a lean on it, it's almost laying down. And if it's laying down, then it's probably taking a break. Just call it a lazy loop. :)

About your texture question: Have you got any normal mapping on those NL2mats? Cause adding one might help. If you have a program that makes bump/normal maps, use that. Otherwise check out Njob. It's free and works great.
    Anyway, put your texture in question into Njob and make a normal map. Then in NL, open your concrete/stucco material in the editor, go to the textures tab and add another texture unit so you now have two. Click on setup for the new one, and load the normal map as a 2d texture file. Then go to the mode tab and set it to bump mode (using normal map). Once back in the material editor window, click the RGB colour tab and set it to bump lighting. You may need to add a very mild reflection to it as well, just to help the lighting interact with it. So do that in the reflections tab, and check the 'Affected by bumps' box. Then you can play around with values in the material editor panel until you're happy with it.
    That's all i can think of at the mo. See if that helps.

If you already knew all that, then ignore what i just said, haha.

Otherwise i like what you've got there. Do the auto sliding doors actually work? And also, (i'm guessing you made this in sketchup) how did you get it exported with the concrete pylons under the patio looking nice and smooth? Feel free to whisper me if you don't wanna give away your secrets in public, lol.
    Looks way good. I like the idea of a restaurant surrounded by a coaster.
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2016

@Mrcrolly, thank you! I'm still having troubles, but I'm slowly learning Njob and how to apply it to NL2 for MATs.

I apologize for the lack of updates, summer has been unusually busy for me, and work has definitely slowed down. While I can't sit down and type out a full update right now, I wanted to share this photo with you.

Some changes to note:
    -Terraforming has begun
    -The giant lake
    -A second building has been added, enclosing the area that previously appeared to be a splashdown.
    -Trees
    -Minor support work

Like I said, I apologize for the small-ness of the update, but hopefully we'll take this coaster all the way to the finish line.
    How steep is the drop? I'm sure it's just the angle but it looks a lot steeper than a normal b&m hyper.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZergei
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2016

^ the steeper the better :D
    ^^As long as it's shaped well I don't think there should be a problem with it.
    I wasn't really worried about it, just more curious actually. I'm all for pushing boundaries and being creative.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcth
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2016

Do your custom station gates actually work? If so, would you mind sharing how? That looks really great and better than the default gates.
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2016 edited

Replies

@thecoasterman589: The drop is roughly 84 degrees. While it may be steeper than most hypers, I don't see what it couldn't be as steep as it is currently.
    @rcth: Unfortunately the station gates do not work in their current state. However, if you wanted to make working gates, you could add a track trigger to the beginning of your station block, then script your gates to rotate open/shut after a certain period of time.

Update

Wow, I got a lot done this week. Most of my energy has been focused on the environment, placing trees for what feels like days. In the picture below, you can see the current view from the side of the station building:

In the background, you can also see a pair of monorail tracks and a resort. As I'm sure you can all see, I'm taking a lot of inspiration from Disney World.

Additionally, I've continued working on the queue, bringing it outdoors. I plan on adding a queue bypass or two, so that guests aren't stuck walking the entire length of the queue on a slow day (suggested by JAKool).

Closing

There's finally a light at the end of the tunnel! I definitely expect to finish this project within the next couple of weeks. Keep your eyes peeled for a trailer video coming soon!

Edit: Here's one last photo

• CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2016

Looking good Joseph
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcth

^^ Yeah, triggers would do half the work. It won't work as required when the station is in manual dispatch mode, so that's my main drawback on this method and why I haven't used custom gates yet.

It looks great!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

Looks nice, can't wait to see the release.
    Throughout this project I've been striving for an Epcot-ish Futureworld type atmosphere, but lately, while I was working on the entrance plaza, I couldn't help but think there was something missing. What could it be? A giant Siemens logo of course!

Working on the entrance plaza and parking lot. Not much work has been done to the parking lot, but the entrance plaza is almost fully furnished with lighting and benches.

And here's a fun shot for good measure.

We're inching closer and closer to a release, look out for a trailer video early next week!
    •  
      CommentAuthorZergei
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2016

(Presented by) Siemens
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2016 edited

Man, 4 updates with no criticism? NLE has really changed :( Dare I say we start a discussion regarding the heartlining of B&M hypers? What do you guys think of the scenery? I can't improve the project without some extra minds pointing out flaws. So bring it on guys, let's see if we can spruce up the ride before release next week!

Meanwhile, I've finished the parking lot :D

This area in particular feels bland to me:

So unless you guys point out any large errors or fixes, the project is just about done! I'm currently having issues with the off-ride audio, but once that's solved, I think we should be cleared for takeoff. Expect a trailer within the next couple of days, and a download/POV later next week.
    • CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2016

I think your heartline is 0.02 meters off from the real deal, might wanna check on that. It's really ruining the entire project for me IMO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcth

What about Daniels (Bestdani) turnstiles at the entrance? It looks really good!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

The only real thing to point out is to maybe put some more detail into those lights in the parkinglot, I'm unsure if you directly recreated something existing but it's pretty damn blocky right now.

Otherwise it looks great.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZergei
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2016 edited

I recommend you put some benches and lights along that blank area, and maybe a cool fountain and shade structure like this!

I really love now this looks, it would fit right into Epcot!
    You need to script thousands of park guests parking, getting out of their cars, walking around the area, queuing, and accurately reacting to the forces and movements of the ride. Until that happens I'm not impressed.

This looks beautiful and I'm excited for it.

• CommentAuthorDelay

^ Oh, if it would be this easy...
    My PC wouldn't be able to handle (the truth) hundreds of people!

Hey, it's not my fault that the G210 card is so bad!
    Maybe some bushes on that green spot by the park entrance.
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2016

(Click the image to view the trailer!)

Replies

@rcth: Good call! I've implemented entrance/exit turnstiles at the main gate (as seen in the video below), and the queue line just before the loading platform.
    @Mrcrolly: I've made the housings circular, and added a bit of round geometry to the branches. Again, you can see the changes in the video :D
    @Zergei: You have no idea how many times I tried to make a shade structure like that happen. I'm not skilled enough yet!
    @CoolioJoe100: If only.
    @CoasterGuy2000: Done!

Thank you all for the advice, I appreciate it! Meanwhile...

Trailer

I've just finished created the trailer/cinematic video for the ride! Expect a release and full POV later this week.

Check it out by clicking on the image above or the link below!

YouTube Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1V9hy_K9FwU
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2016

If you are still looking for criticism, I think the supports on the drop could use some tweaking that would make them look a bit better. Otherwise, I like the looks of the coaster.
    • CommentAuthorMilBee

Looks like a very nice, well executed coaster. I think you should add some rocks by the water to give it a little more detail.

I really like how you do your updates, they're very organized and you seem to answer everyone. I think everyone on the forums should base their coaster updates off yours.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcth

Can guests exit the park tho? :P

It looks great and I love the music! Will this be the 'background music' in the park as well?
    • CommentAuthorDelay

The trailer looks awesome!
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2016 edited

Escape From Tomorrow: Released!

YouTube POV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2mh7t1S4Pg

Steam Download:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=730141292

Imagine you're in a theme park eerily reminiscent of Disney's Epcot Center. Now imagine that park has a giant B&M hyper weaving itself through the treeline. You've just imagined Escape From Tomorrow!

Contributors
    There's a lot of skills and talents that I simply don't have, that others do, so I try and reach out to people to help me make this ride into something enjoyable. It's nice to have all kinds of personal touches from different users throughout the experience.

In no particular order, here's everyone who has helped the project on its way to completion
    -nSeven: Minor foliage and environment consulting
    -TheCodeMaster: Various audio and visual scripts
    -Joshua Velez: Onboard audio script
    -A113 and Coaster-Lab: Trackwork/architecture critiquing
    -JAKool: B&M style lift motor

Tracklist
    So, what type of music can you expect to find in the park? Here's a complete list of all audio tracks used.

Area/Queue Music: Gates of Tomorrow - Abel Korzeniowski

On-Board Audio
    -Terminal - Com Truise
    -Through The Magic Buffers - Hummie Mann
    -Fireworks - Abel Korzeniowski
    -The Grand Finale - Abel Korzeniowski
    -Magic Kingdom Part 1 - Abel Korzeniowski
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2016

Wow, this is even better than expected! At the start this is yet another B&M hyper, but the execution and immersion is really top-notch (at least from the video, I bet it's even better in-game).
    Seeing the extra-mile of realism you were aiming for (the stagging!! Awesome part), I'd have loved to see the part low to the ground fenced of. Too bad I wasn't there earlier this month to told you that before the release. :(
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2016

Thanks man! I appreciate the kind words coming from you. Though looking back, that fencing definitely would've been a solid detail to add :'(
    That lighting and environment is stunning, what on earth did you do to that env to make it look so good, its like you enhanced the graphics of nl2!
    ^Video effects? i guess :)

I really like the layout and scenery very realistic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorcheetah
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2016

wow it's like its not even rendered with nl2, the lighting engine sure couldn't be the same
    ^maybe it was done in a game engine like project towers
    •  
      CommentAuthorHafizBazzi
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2016

POV looks great, could you do a dropbox download link? I don't have the steam version of nl2.