Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorCoolioJoe100
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2016 edited

Hello, my beloved NLExchange community! Honestly, this is quite embarrassing, but if any of you remember me, I am back, am starting my own project thread, and plan to be active on the forums again. I am not going to make excuses as to why I disappeared (again), and none of you probably care anyway. I have recently designed two coasters, which already have videos on YouTube:

Vulcan YouTube Video

Subzero YouTube Video

I plan to put Vulcan up for download on the Exchange this week, and Subzero next week.
    • CommentAuthorThrill Lab
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2016 edited

I am personally pretty knew but I've seen a lot of your work and I really enjoy your work, so welcome back. I think you will find that the big name people are still around.
    It is awesome to see you back! I was working on an NL2 revamp of Woodland Raider as a sort of tribute, but now you are back. :P
    ^Yes, I did see that haha!

Vulcan is available for download!
    https://gyazo.com/1243f60d2d4462b2c116591412571f74
    I Approve.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBetaCoasters
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2016 edited

Coincidence? I think NOT!
    EDIT: Sorry, back on topic after this post, please!
    • CommentAuthorMr. E
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2016

Do you hand build?
    Nope. I use FVD++.
    Well, since I am still unable to upload on the Exchange, Subzero is now available for download on CoasterCrazy!

^just wow that is so cool! Keep it up!
    I love this ride. Every element is really well placed, not to mention original, and the pacing is fantastic.
    Thanks, guys!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2016

Damn Coolio. I've only just recently seen your work and I must say that you have a new fan. Great work man, keep it up!
    ^Agree, i really like that weird inverted Top-Hat thing.
    I have started back up on a new coaster! This is (quite obviously) a new-gen B&M invert. I am designing it with FVD++. For some reason it was so damn hard to get this first drop and overbank the way I wanted, but I love the way it turned out. Let me know what you guys think!

Pretty interesting way to start the ride; is there a G-break in between the first drop and the overbank? The Gs might be sustained for a bit long there.
    Yes, it goes down to 1.8 G's in between the drop and overbank.
    Here is the first inversion:

looking good so far.
    •  
      CommentAuthorcheetah
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2016

You might want to look at real invert immelmens, that shaping is quite far off. The roll should start earlier and the exit is very stretched out imo as well as the top radius of the inversion being too big. Otherwise its looking good.
    Here's a reference picture or two.
    http://rcdb.com/87.htm#p=5147
    http://rcdb.com/277.htm#p=358
    The Immelmann seems to be alright for a new-gen B&M; take a look at Banshee's dive loop and it rolls at around the same area. (Edited for link, with an actual image of Banshee.) cheetah does have some nice examples, but I personally think that if you're going for a large level of style accuracy, you're probably better off emulating the shaping of new-gen B&Ms when making new-gen B&Ms. The large radius could probably be fixed, but it might also be an effect of fish-eye. Maybe try capturing images with a lower field of view.
    Are you going to try and do a loop around the lift like banshee, or something different, maybe a zero g into cobra?
    •  
      CommentAuthorviking86

Interesting beginning, I like it. May I suggest to make more of a dip when exiting the turn before the immelmann? I think a little bit of weightlessness in that spot would be great. :)
    Thanks for the feedback, guys! Every little bit helps, as this is the first time I have publicly shown the construction of one of my rides. I've made some changes:

cheetah: I think the fish-eye was affecting the pic a little bit, but you're right. I kind of shaped it like that so I could get it to exit at the right angle, but I re-worked it and I think it's a lot better now.

viking86: That's actually more what I was originally intending to do, but ditched because I was having too much trouble shaping it right. Aesthetics are really important to me, and even if it rides well, it seems hard to make some twists on inverts not look awkward. However, I agree with you and now it has a pop of airtime into a tunnel. :)

Pop of airtime into underground tunnel:

Different angle:

Reworked immelmann:
    whats with the brake before the pullout? or is it just for testing purposes.
    ^It's a trim, and it doesn't slow the train down at all. I know it's a little early in the layout, but there was so much room there since the immelmann is massive and I don't think there will be another place to put it. It also provides a more sudden transition into the pullout.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

It looks good so far but I agree with cheetah 100%. It's a bit too rounded compared to how Banshees immelmann is.

You can see the difference in shaping by looking at any pic cheetah posted or actual refs from banshee. Aside for that I like what you have going for the layout, keep it up.
    The roll starts a bit too early now I think. Here's an image of Banshee on its similarly-sized Dive Loop. Also, as seen in this image, all of Banshee's Immelmann-type inversions start / end their rolls at around the same area. In the end, what you have now seems kinda OK I guess, and you seem to have fixed the radius, but assuming style accuracy is a major goal here, I think I would personally change the way the Immelmann rolls right now. IMO it seems a little too early to have a trim on the ride anyway.
    Alright, here is another re-work of the immelmann. I think the tightness is definitely good now. When rounded out as a full loop, I definitely wouldn't want it any tighter. As for the banking, I want it to be a little snappier than Banshee's elements. Not old-gen snappy, but somewhere in the middle, and that is what you see here. I also took out the trim.

•  
      CommentAuthorviking86
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2016 edited

Not an expert on shaping, but the immelmann looks good to me. Love the dip into the tunnel that you added, looks much better and more exciting than before!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2016

Ehh I think it should be tighter around the top, it's still a bit too round.
    I have made some progress. First, I gave it a sexy new paint job. I fixed the immelmann, which now twists into a zero g roll over the lift hill. It then has a large 270 degree ascension and a twist into a more fitting trim than before (I've gotta have my trim lol). It then takes a dive into an intense 3.6 G ground-level turn.

"270 degree ascension" That is the greatest coaster element name ever.
    ^lol, that was the first way to describe it that came to my mind.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCoolioJoe100
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2016 edited

Hello!!!

I have been quite busy... After a while, I decided to give up on my invert since there were too many things I didn't like about it. I gave it my best... but I suppose ultimately it wasn't meant to be.

BUT, it was for the best because what I have concocted now is, in my opinion, way more than what the invert ever would have been. After having so much trouble, I told myself the hell with it, and decided to design whatever ideas came into my head. This is a custom coaster. The Mack launched is the type I used, but only because it best suited my needs. Any resemblances to Mack in regards to trackwork is purely coincidental. I really could not be happier with how this is turning out. I feel that while my last few rides were as perfect as I could make them given my abilities, this is that and more. If I had to choose a ride to represent my coasters overall, this would be it.

I think the reason I love this ride so much is that I made whatever felt natural to me. I adore the way it rides and flows throughout the course. Sorry if I'm sounding vain lol... is it really bad to like what you make? Anyway, here are the pics (there are a lot):

Ninety degree first drop:

Forty five degree lift hill:

Overview of lift hill supporting:

Custom-made platform:

Another view of the drop:

Ejector air into a zero g roll over back to ground level:

Full ejector hill:

Twist into a slanted dive loop directly into tunnel:

Meandering overbank into a playful pop of ejector:

One of many to come near misses:

Corkscrew/zero g roll directly after dive off of MCBR:

A little twister section:

Ejector-filled finale into final brake run:

Overview of the layout:

It's hard to tell from the simulator shots, but I made a lot of the ride fit together with itself as a wooden coaster will do. No particular reason; just because I wanted to haha. After supporting, I plan to make some sort of entrance sign and plaza, a queue, and other little knickknacks.

Also, mostly based off the first element, can anyone guess what coaster this was most inspired by?
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2016 edited

First of all, I really really like that

Second, I wanna say Stormrunner but I'm unsure.
    ^Ha nope. I'll wait for a few more guesses.
    Come on guys, can you really not see the obvious Floppy inspiration in this layout.
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2016

Uhm, Wildfire?
    Posted By: element 115obvious Floppy inspiration

For the record idk what he's talking about.

^nope
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery

Honestly I don't care that much, you win. .-.
    I cant see the pictures
    Well I was waiting for other people to guess. Oh well. It's New Texas Giant, with the half ejector hill off the drop into the 90 degree bank, in this case an inversion.
    ^^Sorry, I don't know why. :/
    Its sorted now i just had to view them on my phone :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

^^^ Ha, that was my guess!

I really really love that layout Coolio, it's really great when people free themselves from the already-excisting manufacturers/shapings. :D
    Posted By: DiamondBayonetI cant see the pictures

Probably because he's uploaded all these RAW PNG files that are taking ages to load. Be careful using your phone, it's probably eating through data! :)

JPEG folks! Seriously!!
    ^ahh but im using wifi XD but seriously jpeg would make life easier.
    Sorry I wasn't aware of that. I'll try to change the file type next time.
    • CommentAuthorkryptos001
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2016

I definitely noticed the NTAG inspiration, have you considered making it a TRex?