Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorYedrimas
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2016 edited

Doombuggies V2 have been released!

Hey !

If you don't know what is a DoomBuggy /Omnimover, it's usualy used in continuous darkrides.
    This kind of ride has not been yet implemented on Nolimits, until now.

Here's a tutorial (video)

For german users, click here

Written tutorial :

First of all, download the archive at the end of the post.
    You can also download the 3D model to test the scripts.

Step 1 : The 3D model

The 3D model must be like this :
    Mandatory : 1 object that if it moves, all other will move too (a parent) (We'll call it the rotating part) => Here it's "caps"
    Optional : A restraint object => Here it's "sec"
    Optional : A camera object (used to set the ExternalRideView) => Here it's "Camera"

Both the restraint and camera must be children of the "rotating part", if the rotating part move, they moove too.
    See the GIF :

Step 2 : The scripts

Let's say that your ride alredy exists.
    In the RAR archive, drop all the files in your park directory (usually : "C:\Users\YourName\Documents\com.nolimitscoaster.nolimits2\YourPark")
    You should now have something like that

You may not have "Doom buggy.dae" since it's not part of the archive. You can also download it at the end of the post.

Open "Buggy.nlvm"

Fill "RotatingPartName" with the "rotating part" (see: step 1)
    As show in the gif, the name is "caps"
    Then you can (or not, as you wish) also fill HarnessName and CameraName.
    Since our model have all the differents parts, we'll fill everything.
    That gives us :

Note that if you dont fill correctly "HarnessName" or "CameraName" you'll get a message in the console telling you the name doesn't exist in the model.
    Replace "true" with "false" in the line "ShowWarning = true;" to hide those messages.
    (Useful if you don't have a camera / restraint)
    The WarpPointRadius is used for the ExternalRideView. (note that you can write "5", but with decimal numbers add "f" at the end, "5.5f")

Open "Master.nlvm"

There's only 1 line to complete. It's the distance between two buggies. Note that the distance will not exactly be that in game. 5 may become 4.9 (If you have >100 buggies this may be important)
    (Note that you can use decimal numbers, BUT do NOT add an "f", "5" , "5.5" , "7.2" , "2.3f")

Create a new Nl2sco, set the 3D model and attach "Buggy.nlvm".

Note that "Private virtual [...]" must NOT be checked.

Same for your coaster, scripts tab, attach "Master.nlvm"

Same, "Private virtual [...]" must NOT be checked.

Step 3 : The last step, animations

Add a few triggers to your ride, where you want to turn the car / open(/close) restraint, name them (explicitly preferably).
    Open the "TriggerDataGen.exe" in your park folder.
    You can load an existing file (created with this tool).

Name : The name of your trigger
    Type : Car / Restraint
    Value : The rotation in degrees (the value if the rotation that it will take, not add. Puttin 40 will set the rotation to 40. If it was a 20, it will add 20).
    Time : The time needed in seconds

Value and time can be decimal value. (4.4 , 5.2 , -1.1(not negative for the time obviously));
    Clicking a trigger in the list will make you edit it. Click "Unselect" to stop the editing part.

When done

click "File" => "Save"
    Save it next to Master.nlvm (same folder) as Data.txt (Anyway, put another name it wont work :D)

End of the tutorial :)

Download : The RAR archive (The 3d model is not provided in the archive) <- Updated on 06/09/2016
    The 3D model (use it to test your ride, otherwise it's terrible)

If you have any questions / tips / things that could be added, tell me.

If you want to manualy edit Data.txt :
    Trigger_name:Trigger_Type:Value:Time
    Trigger Type : 0 is for car, 1 for restraint
    Value and time can both be decimal values (1.02,1.3,-5.2)

Performance test : 400 buggies => 40fps (instead of 60)

NB :The full post was edited
    • CommentAuthornSeven
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2016

Wow, this is a really fantastic advancement toward continuous darkrides.
    •  
      CommentAuthorYedrimas
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2016 edited

Little update : Car orientation (with the best 3d model ever)

Click to see the video

Restraints are here !

Click to see the video
    WOW this is awesome! Great work so far on achieving this. I'm excited to see this in use and further developed so don't stop working on this!
    •  
      CommentAuthorYedrimas
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2016 edited

Acceleration / Deceleration is now working "correctly". The buggies have some glitches when the ride accelerates, but this should no happen on those kind of rides.
    Those glitches are not visible when in the ride (external ride view)

Click to see the video

Expect a "How to implement" soon :)
    • CommentAuthorDelay
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2016

Nice work! Already looking good.
    Wow!
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcth
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2016

Yesss! This is awesome! Darkrides are so going to be made when this is finished!
    •  
      CommentAuthorYedrimas
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2016

First release, see the first post.
    • CommentAuthorMr. E

Could you do a written tutorial please?

Posted By: Yedrimas
    If a written tutorial is needed just ask.
    • CommentAuthorMGrides

10 points for the music in the tutorial video!
    10 points for the making of this whole possibility in NL2.

Thank you!

I can see a lot of potential and usage of the scripts here. Especially, of course, a recreation of the famous disney darkride:

http://www.hauntedportraits.com/Haunted-Mansion-Blueprints.htm
    http://www.disneyeveryday.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Walt-Disney-World-Florida-Haunted-mansion-Blueprints-Track-Map.jpg

...who will be the first? .. Halloween is coming, ...slowly ;) I didn´t tested the performance, but i´m sure with some LOD´s and clipping of the cars (and scenery) a high detailed ride experience should be running fine.
    I´m really excited for the upcoming darkride concepts and ideas.
    • CommentAuthormuchwoo

This is amazing!
    Thanks Yedrimas for share It!
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcth

Awesome! This will be so great and I am really going to test this out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo

I'm going to read everything later tonight, but you sir are my hero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcth
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2016

I wonder: would it be possible to hide the tracks and the original coaster car?
    •  
      CommentAuthorYedrimas
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2016 edited

Check "hide wireframe"
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcth

Thanks. :)

This would bring so much possibilities.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcth

I don't know how you did your performance test with 400 buggies and only 20fps decrease...

but...

Around 110 buggies. FPS went really slow to like 2FPS.
    •  
      CommentAuthorYedrimas

I have 8Gb memory thats probably why it didn't drop that much, try to put more space and less buggies, and maybe accelerate a bit your ride.
    This is pure hardware problem, can't really help you on that :/

If you have memory problem, only go to x2 with simulation speed.
    x3 and x4 are rendering 2fps instead of 1 (this is a strange behavior).

If you don't want to get out of memory, only use x1.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcth

I have 16gb of memory ;)

I tried with 7 spacing instead of 5. It worked a little better. The second time I loaded the park... it had extreme low FPS (< 5) at load immediatly. It's not really predictable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorYedrimas

Can you send me the package, just tested with 120 buggies and I have no problem. Since you have 16Gb it's extremely strange o_o

Nevermind, I think I know.

In setup => Display => Check Vertical Sync

Too much images are rendered every second, probably 300, with means 300position added / second the script is using wrong values.
    Quick explanation: the first frames of the simulation are used to get a value that will be used as a template. It depends on the speed of the train, if too much frames are rendered, the value is like really small. So almost every positions will be added to a list, which is why you run out of memory. I'll probably add something on that to set a manual value that overides the script.

Checking Vertical Sync will limit the fps to 60 (for most screens).
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcth

Thanks, that solved it pretty much. Now I have to figure out how to make sure the train doesn't speed up when going down :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorYedrimas

Play with Acceleration / Deceleration
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcth

A lift doesn't really have a brake. Let's try again with a brake section instead of lift section.

It would be awesome if later on, this gets expanded and we can make things like have one car on each real coaster car so we can have custom cars, but have actions with them, like the safety bars (so different from the normal custom train cars, these safetybars don't work)
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

You can set a strong deceleration for a lift segment nonetheless. ;) It's useful for a Dive Machine drop for instance.... or a dark-ride with doombuggies. ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorYedrimas

I think you can use both lifts and brakes, didn't try but this should work.

^^You can use the same script on other nl2sco (so other 3D models). But they'll need to have the exact same name for the rotating parts, restraints etc... (or set ShowWarning to false). Don't know if I understood what you meant ^^
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcth

^ Honestly, not really. I was talking about for example some sort of Splash Mountain. Normally if you have custom cars, the restraints won't work. These restraints work, so it would be awesome to have a script like this (with triggers and such) that can have ONE custom vehicle at each train. Another example: the drifting coaster thingy I suggested in another thread a few days ago. This script could probably be used partly.
    • CommentAuthorDelay

How do I make custom cameras in general? I think of getting to the flatrides, so I need to know that.

As always, I use Blender. I know that, for movement, I can use Keyframes, and there are cams in Blender, but will they count in the game?
    •  
      CommentAuthorYedrimas

^ You should try to ask this in The Official Scripting Ask Thread. But still I'll try to answer you.

Custom cameras are done with a script. In each frame we set its position. There are many ways of achieving this. My way is to add a cube in my 3D model that's the child of my moving object. Here, child of the buggy (See the gif in the written tutorial).
    In the script, I hide my cube, get's its AbsoluteMatrix to set it to the camera. So the camera is always at the position of my cube.

I hope it's clear enough.
    • CommentAuthorDelay

It was a good general explanation of what's going on. But for people like me who don't understand scripting at all, it's kinda hard at the same time.

I wanted to learn C++. I always stopped or got in the way of myself
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo

Oke, got to play with it, it's perfect. The only problem I have so far is that when I tried my own car the car resetted to the zero point at every trigger. The buggy works just fine, so it must be something with my dea file I guess. No idea so far what it could be though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorYedrimas

^It's usually because of the pivot point. Sometimes you rotate an object, so it's pivot point rotates too. So the Z axis becomes the X, X => Y, Y => Z. So when reading the rotation in nolimits, it goes wrong. Reset the pivot point or send me your model so I can take a look.

Example of a bad / good pivot point
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo

Well, looks like this also works with fast moving objects. I've still got to look into the rotation stuff, but that shouldn't be to hard:

https://youtu.be/NOQqz82ztrY

•  
      CommentAuthorYedrimas

^ This does, but all the cars will at the same speed (which is the speed of the 1st car)
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo

^ Do you think that it would work with multiple trains? Haven't tried it yet. In the end, I'd rather have one car working then none :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorZergei

Are these able to rotate 360 multiple times? I could use this for my SFNE recreation for Blizzard River and Splashwater Falls!
    •  
      CommentAuthorYedrimas

Didn't try, put 720 or -720 on the generator to try ^^
    I had a thought about this script the other day (excellent work btw). Using your script you can change the distance between two cars, so in theory could it be used to attach several objects to form a train or monorail? Would the script work with two different looking objects? Say car 1 is a full size locomotive, and car two to seven are full size carriages? For example, using the traditional method of attaching objects to cars, you're limited by the distance of the coaster type, and there isn't a coaster with enough distance between cars to work a full sized train/monorail. Does this make sense?
    •  
      CommentAuthorYedrimas
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2016

Since we're not using the "private virtual machine" for the script, all cars can have a different model. The 3D model must be an all-in-one, but this is possible.
    The "problem" with this version is that it's only made to be working with 1 train. So you can only have 1 train on the ride. I'll try to add the possibility to add multiple trains in the future.
    • CommentAuthorMrRC
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2016

When i start the generator i got a error message , i know this has something to do with my Opp system WIN XP.

My language is Dutch , i hope u can translate.
    •  
      CommentAuthorYedrimas

^ I think WinXP is too old, I'll try to do an other version that works with winXP.
    • CommentAuthorMrRC

Yes that wud be nice, so i can make it more efficient.
    •  
      CommentAuthorYedrimas
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2016

Here, I hope at least one will work ^^.
    • CommentAuthorMrRC
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2016 edited

Edit :

Next problem , i hope u can tell me what i'm doing wrong

See video how it behaves :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErD3BFVF9-M

This in the Data.txt :

Wow coool, u rock !!

All versions u did send me, work 100% with Win XP

Thank u sooooo much
    •  
      CommentAuthorYedrimas

I knew this bug would come one day, can you send me the model so I can work on a fix ? :)
    • CommentAuthorMrRC

u mean the parkfile or the object thats rotating ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorYedrimas
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2016 edited

The object (the 3d model) will be enough

Try to replace Buggy.nlvm with this one.
    (I also modified Master.nlvm to remove useless things)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oom1ct7hv39incf/DoomBuggy.rar?dl=0
    • CommentAuthorMrRC

Yeah !!

Yes this works perfectly.

Thank you so much.
    • CommentAuthorMrRC
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2017

Sorry for the bump.

Hi Yedrimas,

I wonna use this script to tilt an object thats added to the train not rotate as the script was intend for,

i wonna tilt the object side ways (like u go with a car through a corner)

something with X Y Z axes. I hope u can help me with that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorYedrimas
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2017 edited

The scripts are designed for doombuggies, only rotation around the Y axis is supported.
    You can manually change line 188 of Buggy.nlvm with:

X : new Vector3f(1,0,0)
    Y : new Vector3f(0,1,0)
    Z : new Vector3f(0,0,1)

Again, these scripts are not designed for coasters and will have poor performances.