Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTheBeatles
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2016 edited

RELEASED

Today, on Friday the 13th, The Twilight Zone: Terror Tracks is now available for download! Now with added features, and a tasteful Easter egg :D Check it out, walk around, and let me know what you think!

Download on Steam:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=841419094

Download on WeTransfer:

https://we.tl/pH8DOkda2m

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Introduction

Hey everyone, I apologize for creating a new thread so soon after Escape From Tomorrow, but I feel this coaster is progressing enough to warrant a thread. Some of you may have seen either in the WDYJDINL thread or on Facebook that I've started creating a Twilight Zone themed coaster. The ride itself is a Gerstlauer Infinity Coaster II, inspired by Taron, Karnan, Revenge of the Mummy and Escape from Gringotts.

Layout

Theme

As I mentioned above, the coaster will carry a Twilight Zone theme. Picture the Tower of Terror, but instead of a hotel theme, I've chosen to go with an underground subway/metro railway theme. The ride will follow very similar beats to the Tower of Terror, including two preshows eerily reminiscent of the "wave goodbye" and "hallway" Tower of Terror sequences, but adapted to the subway theme accordingly.

Ride Vehicles

Riders will be seated in an old track inspection vehicle, as seen below.

The vehicles were inspired by this 1930's track inspection vehicle:

Current Progress

This week, I've been working on the station and staging areas. The station, as you can see below, is very much inspired by the Hollywood Tower Hotel, but also takes a lot of architectural cues from the Moscow metro system.

I've been working on the departure from the station over the past few days, where trains will hold before starting the actual ride (a system seen in Escape From Gringotts and Revenge of the Mummy). As you enter that black void in the background, stars will appear around you and the "You are the passengers on a most uncommon train blah blah blah" audio will begin, similar to the opening of Tower of Terror.

Conclusion

So what do you think of the ride so far? There's still a lot of work to be done on almost everything I've shown you, I don't think anything is finalized yet. Throw your criticism my way!
    Love those trains, the 3d work is looking damn good aswell, i should have a good pc by the time this is released too so looking forward to experiencing it, am i the only one who hates the fact that you literally cant support the two tube track switches?
    Damn, that subway texturing is superb! It looks good so far, but i think the layout is a bit on the short side. whats the ride time after the launch?
    • CommentAuthorMilBee
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2016

Like I said before, I think this whole subway theme is genius and I cannot wait to see progress. Is the whole coaster going to be underground in the subway tunnels or is it going to go outside after the launch?
    •  
      CommentAuthorYedrimas

This looks awesome, I can't wait to see the rest ! The lights work seems really nice and the 3D models with the reflection and bumps are looking great.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZergei

Set the pipes to rusted, and you're good ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorHafizBazzi

Oh jesus christ I read the forums title as terror attacks and was like *switches TV to news*

The ride looks awesome btw
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo

Wow, how did you get those briljant textures :O. This looks really great!
    So glossyyyyy *drools* Yes I love the 3d work. The only thing I'm really not loving is, I hate to say it, the layout. It seems like there are too many flat turns and nothing that really wows me. Don't take that to heart, though. That's just what I see from the views given. It may ride better than it looks, and you may be planning themeing to go with it really well.
    Looks excellent so far. Are you going to theme any part of the building facade?
    That theming looks awesome :o
    • CommentAuthorcaptfido87
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2016 edited

yes this project is definitely one I plan to keep an eye on. Great concept and the track seems promising enough. As for the art styles, Uncharted 3 has some really great underground abandoned train stations artwork/ models. those could easily help in design process. outside of the building could be several smaller factories bunched up on each other, with a small train station building with stairs leading down to the subrail station/ queue.

with a subway theme, you could do it as train full of passengers mysteriously disappeared after derailing and seemingly vanishing into an unfinished railway line. story is they crash into the wall, disappearing, and workers rushing to the wall but only to find that the way is completely solid, with no evidence of a train being able to go through the wall. riders will board an "inspection car" and search the tracks for the missing passengers/ train. will they be able to find the missing railcar or will the suffer the same fate? the launch could be them going down a line searching, but suddenly a train appears out of nowhere down the same line coming full speed at the riders. the railcar could vear off the tracks hitting a water main, causing an "explosive amount of water" to suddenly shoot riders where they too suffer a "derailment" and the water forces the riders car into a roll as it hits the nearly circular roof causing the inversion and the riders car could "land" on another line thats been made to look like it was either incomplete or broken. where it will then finish the course along with several other tbd spooky elements to add to the thrill.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCoolioJoe100
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2016 edited

^That is kind of genius. Do that.
    • CommentAuthorMr. E
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2016

^^ I actually love that idea, for the water bestdani has a triggered fountain. The idea fits well, definitely ties to ToT and it fits the subway perfectly.
    • CommentAuthorarktic2

^^^ and maybeadd a backwards section to add some dark ride style like revenge of the mummys section but with more details,
    It does look good.. :)

haha well I'm not actually making the ride folks, this was just the first thing that came to my mind when I read about the project. The beatles, is more than welcome to use this idea to the fullest if he pleases.
    ^Ha, yes I was suggesting that The Beatles uses this idea.
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2016 edited

Introduction

Whoa. That's a lot of comments. I appreciate all of the interest! Just to set the stage for how this project will go, I would expect most updates (like today's) to be relatively small. This largely due to how much longer this scenery is taking me than usual, it's a lot more detailed than what I'm used to. On the bright side, smaller updates will hopefully allow me to take more comments, suggestions and criticism from you guys into consideration as I build.

Replies

@element115: No sir, you are not the only one who hates that you cannot support track switches. Floating track is a bit weird and tough to disguise
    @COASTERGUY246: While it is a short coaster, the total ride time is just about where I want it, loosely fitting in with ROTM and Escape From Gringotts.
    @MilBee: Yes sir, the plan is for the entire coaster is going to be "underground" and enclosed.
    @Zergei: I am looking to "rustify" my pipes, but I really don't like the in-game method of doing so. It makes the pipes look like they have leopard-print scabs.
    @Zingo: All of the textures come from either random Google Images searching, or textures.com (as suggested by A113).
    @Crazycoaster: If there is a building facade, it will definitely be themed. Ideally this would be the case, but the exterior will probably be one of the last things I build.
    @captfido87: I appreciate you directing me towards Uncharted 3 for reference, I'll check it out. As for your story, a very large portion of your idea coincides with what I already have planned, which is great! I don't want to give away too many details yet, as those will reveal themselves as the project progresses. However, I will say that everything after the water main breaking seems more along the lines of Fast and Furious, and less Twilight Zone.
    @arktic2: I tried incorporating a reverse segment into the original idea for the ride, but I really couldn't find any practical applications of it.

Update

Today's update is focused on the station. Most of what you see isn't final, and is open to changes. More details are slowly trickling in, hopefully making the area feel a bit more like a subway/train station.

EDIT: Queue railings finished

*drools*
    •  
      CommentAuthorZergei
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2016

I see you already added some back story ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Talk to me on Skype if you want any assistance, because I'd love to have my name snuck in like the Imagineers would do it :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcth

That looks so great!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix

That looks phenomenal, and I'm not only talking about the station here, but also the general concept, the layout, the trains, the textures and the (planned) storyline. As a huge subway/railway fan I just have to be in love with this project.

Hope you can get both clocks to show the correct time, though ... on the other hand, this might be more realistic than you think this way. :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

That's looking great, Beatles! I love how with every new project of yours, I find the details in scenery 2x better than the last, but this time you've outdone yourself already.

Great work man, I'm excited to see where this goes in the end.

Well I can't wait to see a finished version after all that has been said and done. Just to see how different our ideas can be

Update

I've added a ticket booth/counter, along with some burnt out lamps that will hopefully flicker later on. This was the last major section of the station that needed to be created, so now I can focus on details such as exposed infrastructure, cobwebs, etc.

•  
      CommentAuthorHafizBazzi
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2016

This looks absolutly amazing, I can't wait to see the finished product, or ride the finish product (if my computer will even load it)
    It just keeps getting better and better.
    Um, so much yes! Very excited about this projects developement. The idea is a great continuation of an already amazing story and theme. Can never go wrong with hollywood art deco. Love the touches and Spanish influence like that in Union Station. The lighting is well done as well, lots of yellows/oranges while keeping the tunnels/loading dark and mysterious. Just illuminate the one hanging light in front of the tickets and you're good to go. Remember, what makes tower of terror's lobby so amazing are all the little scenic touches in it such as the doll, or the unfinished chess game, or the newspapers and luggage. Eventually Include items that play and foreshadow the story. It will give the space a more mysterious and play on the guests unsettled curiosity.

Replies

@HafizBazzi: While I can't promise anything, my goal is to be able to have this fairly "runnable".
    @andreizsmart: I really appreciate you taking time to really look at the pictures and figure out what I'm doing and how/why. I'm really dreading adding the props to the station, but they will come eventually. For now I'm directing my focus elsewhere, as most of my effort so far has gone into the station already.

Update

As promised, here's another small update. The past week I've been working on the launch tunnel. What you see here is actually the third design of the area, the previous two just looked strange and out of place to me.

What you see here is another station, and although you wouldn't know it yet, it's currently abandoned. Construction began years ago to try and refurbish the aging station platform, but the site has since been deserted, and the Hollywood South stop is no longer in operation. Don't worry, scaffolding and other construction-like details are soon to be added. There's a couple of surprises I have planned for this room that I'm not planning on showing until release, so stay tuned, I'm pretty excited to see what you guys think about them!

It's also worth noting that the grime textures and shadows on the pillars/ceiling were "baked" in Microsoft PowerPoint, my express replacement for Photoshop when it comes to small projects like textures.

What do you guys think about the basic structure/feel of the room? And the textures?
    •  
      CommentAuthorRCF
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2016

It looks really good, but not exactly abondoned. I know that you're going to add details, but right now it just looks like a regular subway station. I think some extra grime, parts of the station falling apart, etc. would make it better.
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2016

@RCF: Those details will come in time, worry not!

Update

For those of you that haven't been following the Twitch streams this week, I've created the first preshow room. This will replace the "mirror" scene from Tower of Terror, where you "wave goodbye to the real world" and enter the Twilight Zone. Now you might be asking yourself, "What is this room?". To put it simply, I took some liberties. This room is where I imagine all things underground meet up, from the sewers, to the subway, to electrical lines. I doubt rooms like this actually exist, but I think it turned out pretty well.

Ideally, steam will pour out from the sewer grate, and an image of the train will be projected onto it and promptly destroyed as you wave goodbye, and move onto the next preshow, before launching into the arena.

Not pictured, I've also started adding details to the station, such as hats, paper scraps, cracks, and forgotten luggage.
    Man this is going to be such an adventure. Roller coasters and horror is the perfect combination. It's hard to go wrong.

And yeah I wouldn't be worried about rooms like that not existing IRL. It is the Twilight Zone after all :D
    This gets better and better with every update, Can't wait for the final release!
    This is sick. I love the layout and the scenery is also excellent.
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2016

Replies

@CoolioJoe100: Don't worry, going wrong is a lot easier than you'd think haha. I appreciate the feedback on the made-up room, I think I'll keep it!
    @DC High Heat: I really appreciate that! Your work has been an inspiration to me since NL1.

Update: Preshow #2

Go ahead and click the image below for a video preview of the 2nd preshow!

As you can see, it's HEAVILY inspired by Tower of Terror's "Hallway scene". I put in the corresponding audio from T.o.T. to help give you all a better idea of what the final product will look/sound like. Obviously, when everything is done there will be no mention of elevators, but rather subway trains. Also, big ups to TheCodeMaster for achieving the fading effect on the scenery.

Closing

Unfortunately, things will definitely be slowing down, as I've just started my second year of college. It's the end of Day 2 and Calc 3 already has me in a chokehold. As always, please let me know what you guys think of the current progress! I appreciate any and all feedback, but negative and positive.
    That is damn cool. One thing I would suggest adding is some flickering light effects around the room while the hologram is playing.

Best of luck in school!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

That's one of the coolest things I've seen in NL2. Like holy shit, I'm hyping to see this finished since it looks downright amazing so far.

Although, if I could suggest anything, maybe have the train act/look more aggressive when it comes towards you, like you're about to get struck. Either way, it looks great :)
    • CommentAuthorMr. E

I LOVE THIS! I told you this would be an effect to watch over and over.

Question: how did you do the stars?
    •  
      CommentAuthorzampano

Wow!
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcth
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2016

This looks so great!
    Brilliant! Already in love with it. Once all the effects, from sound to lighting, are added in, this is going to look amazing. Keep chugging away at this! Good luck with your classes. I remember calc 3 ;p
    •  
      CommentAuthorZergei
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2016 edited

Don't hate me for this, but I'm making an easter egg contribution... it's Twilight Zone related so don't worry about it being a Disney reference lol

I'm so excited for this to release :D

(Edit: he asked for ideas and is adding easter eggs when he finishes with everything else, and I'm aware he might not want it. Let's move on :p)
    • CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2016

I don't understand what you mean by that. Are you telling him that you're contributing to his project? If so, perhaps he doesn't want your contribution? Especially not if you phrase it in such a rude and overbearing way like you just did.
    Thanks for the positive feedback, guys! I think that animation is just about finished.

Replies

@CoolioJoe100: While that would be cool, it's a lot of work to make something like that happen. Additionally, the scene I'm paying homage to stays consistently lit until it fades away. I'll look into it.
    @Mrcrolly: That was my initial idea, but to put it simply, I'm going to need to work on my animation skills before I can do that :P
    @Mr.E I worked with TheCodeMaster to have a script written to allow the stars to appear.

Update

Making some more progress, slowly but surely. What you see here is the main ride area, without any props. Those will come soon! The fog that you see is NL2's stock volumetric fog, refelecting a purple light.

Meanwhile, in case anyone was curious, here's what the exterior of the ride looks like in it's current state:

I hope to see you all again with more updates soon enough! As always, comments and criticism are appreciated
    This project is just getting better and better. That pre-show actually gave me goosebumps.. that says enough. I'm curious about what you still have planned for the arena of the ride and what kind of props will be added. So far, I'm absolutely loving this style!
    ^Thanks man, I appreciate that feedback coming from you! To answer your curiosity regarding the arena...

I've added the eyeball from the show's opening title screen, and a flashing train signal:

Ideally I'd like props to mix the Twilight Zone with the real world (subway). Anyone have any ideas for more props? I think I could use maybe 2 more decent ones.
    • CommentAuthorMr. E
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2016

You could do the headlight from a subway car as a flash maybe, or if you up to it a broken down subway car, or pipes. I know none of those are brilliant but that's all I could come up with.
    •  
      CommentAuthorzampano
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2016

Yeah, do headlights that suddenly turn on with a loud train honk and try to make it feel like a near miss.
    I always loved that backwards spinning clock in the library's pre-show of HTOT. The one at 0:20 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV1Ma6ee42M
    Maybe cool to have that fly by the Train as you cross an mcbr? Just thinking out loud
    •  
      CommentAuthorZergei
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2016 edited

I agree with the subway car jumpscare idea, but I remember you telling me you didn't want one

Edit: this has been what I've been thinking about every time I ask about how you will do the voiceover. I've legitimately been praying for this to happen for you... You're so lucky dude!
    Edit 2: That was a different video, but I'm look forward to what you come up with ;)
    \/