Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorRiiickerttt
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2016 edited

Hello fellow coaster lovers,

Two weeks ago I came up with the idea to make a launch rollercoaster with a subway theme. I've already made a layout, but might change a few parts. I'm now working on the scenery on the top left corner. The coaster type will be wooden because the rails of wooden coasters are more subway-like than steel track.

Here I'm going to make a two or three layered building consisting of subway tunnels, an entrance hall with turnstyles and maybe more:

The station is almost finished and gives a good idea of what the scenery is going to look like. The track is a closed circuit. Inside the station you enter the train at one side and exit at the track on the other side.

About the lamps: this is just a temporary solution. I want to create something like the glowing tube below and secure it to the ceiling. On this part I'm going to need your help, because I don't know how to make a long equal light instead of a spot light.

I'm also thinking of making a part where the trains go above the ground on a subway bridge between skyscrapers..

So, lots of ideas, let me know what you think and I will post an update next week!

Riiickerttt
    • CommentAuthorrct800
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2016

Wow I really love that idea! Already feeling the atmosphere in that station :)
    Awesome work! Will follow this for sure!
    Great scenery so far.

You can use a custom spot-texture to project a custom shape of light. I used this texture to simulate 4 bullbar lights:
    Thanks for the comments everyone and thanks @secretimbecile for the tip!

Small update:

I've been trying to create the light tubes. They look like tubes from close, but in distance they appear flat. So, I might have done something wrong here:

I've also found a nice texture for the ceiling of the tunnels:

I'm also using supports to create pipes, but I will change the color and position a bit to make it look more realistic.

Let me know what you think and stay tuned for more updates in the future!

Riiickerttt
    • CommentAuthorDelay
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2016

Are the lights texures? If yes, is mipmap on?
    ^ I use custom spot-textures for the lights, but I don't know about mipmap. I have absolutely no experience with the NL2MAT editor, but I'm looking for tutorials.
    • CommentAuthorDelay
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2016 edited

The option:

Example: Bump map
    With mipmaps (the default)

Without mipmaps
    ^Thanks for the tip! After a lot of trial and error I decided to build simple spotlights instead of light tubes.

Another update:

I've discovered how bump mapping works and tried to create more realistic brick walls and concrete floors. I also tried different colors for the light:

I personally think that white-colored lights are more realistic. What do you guys think?
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2016

I definitely liked the more orange lights better, the ambiance was gorgeous
    •  
      CommentAuthorZergei

I was going to do a subway ride like you, but I think I should wait until this project is released or I'd be called a copycat :P
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2016 edited

^^That is true, but maybe I want to create a more creepy ambiance. Gonna think about the options..
    I'd say orange. And then make them all go red when a train dispaches
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

I like the first one, very eerie and atmospheric!
    I think you guys are right, I'll continue with the orange lights then!
    • CommentAuthorDelay

It looks very cool! I like the orange lights more, like everyone else.

The building looks very natural and realistic. Have you looked at real train stations for that?

Keep it up!

^ Thanks! And yes, when I was in Lisbon I took pictures of the subway stations. When we visited a parking garage I noticed the wires and pipes which were connected to the ceiling: also took pictures of those lol

I changed a lot of textures and this is the result:

I think these textures add more creepyness to the station.

There will be new updates tomorrow!
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2016

I like it! It's very eerie.
    Update:

Hey guys, I've been building a sewer today. I'm gonna make several sewer pipes and one big hall.
    Here are two pictures of the progress so far:

I don't know what to do with the walls to make them look less naked and repetitive. Maybe you guys have a good idea?

For your orientation I will give you a screenshot of the complete layout:

When everything is finished I will lower the complete thing under the ground

See you later,

Riiickerttt
    Wow! This looks amazing!
    ^Thanks man!

Update:

I've made some progress with the sewer part:

As you can see the queue line will go through the hall.
    I also generated a concrete block with the light pattern creator so I can build concrete support pillars instead of wooden supports.

Let me know what you think!

Riiickerttt
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2016

That looks awesome. Definitely a huge fan of the lighting in that section (as well as in the station). Keep it up!
    Bad news guys, because I attend university now I have to study alot and I can't work on this project anymore. So, I'm gonna put Metro aside for a while and maybe I'll be able to resume this project later this year!
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2017 edited

Hello guys, I'm back on track and currently working on another part of Metro. More pics coming soon!
    screenshot_2017_02_28_15_32_46
    high res image upload
    ^ Looks amazing! Will it be released on Steam as well as the NLE?
    ^I don't know yet. That is something to consider when the project is almost completed ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthordapalm
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2017

Interesting coaster choice... Wouldn't expect a wooden there tbh, but it looks good. Crazy theming too!
    ^ I wanted to have rails for the track to create a subway look, but I'm considering using steel tracks because wooden supports wouldn't match with the theming.
    •  
      CommentAuthordapalm
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2017

^ Actually I see two ways that could look realistic enough for that:

- Using Minetrain track... It's steel, but it kinda have that aspect you're looking for.

- Using RMC rails and ties with special connectors to make steel supports.
    ^I'm going to think about your second idea, thanks!
    Hello guys!

Last few days I've been working on the fluorescent bulbs in the station and some new theming parts. I'm really happy about the result. I'm still trying different colors and brightness to get the perfect lighting in the station. For the theming/queue line I will create an abandoned sewer system and factory halls. At the end everything will be indoor with probably green/white lights to create a creepy atmosphere.

New lights for the station:
    screenshot_2017_03_04_01_03_13

The sewer system/factory hall:
    screenshot_2017_03_04_01_01_56

The queue line will go through this part (The fuel tanks will get better textures):
    screenshot_2017_03_04_01_09_36
    upload an album

This looks amazing! I'd suggest making that roll in the second picture a but less tight, and making some of the lights be broken (or flicker.) Other than that it looks great so far :)
    • CommentAuthorMrRC
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2017

Wow that looks sooooo amazing.
    I want to see this in action. This is an amazing project you have going. Attention to detail is insane.
    • CommentAuthorBullero
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2017

The only thing I can say is that it looks very nice! Keep up the good work!
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2017

I love the look of it. I was kinda sceptic at first with the station, but the whole lay-out just looks amazing. The lighting also helps a lot. Are you also going to add some smaller coridors? It looks kinda weird to me to only have big open spaces. Can't wait to see more.
    Thanks for the nice comments everyone!

@Zingo I started with big open spaces, but I'm dividing it into more smaller areas. My idea is to build a sewer system consisting of one main (factory/sewer) hall where a few sewer tunnels meet. Especially for the queue line there will be more smaller coridors. So, there won't be just big open spaces ;).
    Hello guys, I have a new update ready to show you!

While it might seem that the update is small, I've actually made some very big changes.

First I completely changed the layout of the track, because it wasn't thrilling enough. I've added more air-time hills and less curves. I also changed the scenery. There is only one big hall left (figure 2) which will look like the sewer system in Mirror's Edge (I think the theming in Mirror's Edge is perfect for creating abandoned and eerie areas). Apart from the big hall, I will also build narrow subway/sewer tunnels. Almost everything will be underground, except for the part within the white frame (see figure 1) which will look like an abandoned district of the Bronx in NY consisting of a subway bridge and the main entrance. I'm still tweaking the track to make it perfect.

Figure 1: Layout of the track and scenery (the red line is the queue line)
    Metro_Map

Figure 2: The big hall as it is now
    screenshot_2017_03_12_21_20_30

Figure 3: At the end the big hall will look like the sewer system in Mirror's Edge:
    SGmWu

•  
      CommentAuthorRickPlays
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2017

^Awesome. Can't wait to see the final coaster!
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2017 edited

Hello guys, It has been a while, but I've made a lot of progress on various areas. The big hall in my previous post is finished and almost every part of the track is covered in subway/sewer tunnels. Here is a picture of a part of the queue line:
    screenshot_2017_07_06_16_13_03>

I'm not going to show you everything so it remains a surprise, but this gives you an idea ;).
    •  
      CommentAuthorlamewad
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2017

Looks great! Keep it up, can't wait to see it finished!
    •  
      CommentAuthornolimiters
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2017

That is looking really good!
    nitpick - the N and R trains are yellow. The S is grey. In NYC, it's all arranged alphabetically, too. So it'd be G N R S trains. W is also yellow, the 3 is red and the 5 is green. Shuttles (S) will ALWAYS have a grey colored "bullet".
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2017 edited

Hey guys, yesterday I came up with a new idea for a part of the queue which I build today. See image below. It turned out really well and I'm going to implement this idea in the track as well. (Click the image for HD)

That's REALLY cool, I like it quite a bit, great job with the lighting. My only concern is the massive amounts of tripping hazards you have
    ^^ Looks awesome! Does the queue just go past it or does it actually go along the track?
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2017 edited

^It will go along the track. The rails you see are not coaster tracks, just decor.
    ^^ True, I'll keep that in mind haha.
    ^^^ & ^ Just put some underground railway-themed "watch your footing" signage!
    Any idea when its going to be released?