Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Hello,
    I am new to the community, I have a few questions:
    1. Should I start by handbuilding or using fvd++?
    2. Is there any fvd++ livestream that I can watching to learn? (Or videos)

Thanks!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2016

Hey nimrodd,

welcome to the forums! To answer your questions:

1. It really depends on your preference. If you want to get exact shapes for your element you probably should start with building by hand. If you love maths or like building elements by "playing" with - or rather entering - numbers (i. e. forces/accelerations, change rates/derivations etc.) you'd rather want to use FVD++. No matter which method you choose it'll take a good amount of practice until you are there where you want to be, although hand-building possibly is easier to start with. Smooth coasters can results from both methods anyway.

2. FVD++ Tutorials can be found here or here.

Hope this helps! Hope you'll enjoy your stay.
    • CommentAuthorBigbad

I suggest starting out by building by hand. It's the much more common method, and it will be easier for you to get help on this forum and start building decent coasters.
    • CommentAuthornimrodd1234
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2016 edited

Posted By: baadrixHey nimrodd,

welcome to the forums! To answer your questions:

1. It really depends on your preference. If you want to get exact shapes for your element you probably should start with building by hand. If you love maths or like building elements by "playing" with - or rather entering - numbers (i. e. forces/accelerations, change rates/derivations etc.) you'd rather want to use FVD++. No matter which method you choose it'll take a good amount of practice until you are there where you want to be, although hand-building possibly is easier to start with. Smooth coasters can results from both methods anyway.

2. FVD++ Tutorials can be foundhereorhere.

Hope this helps! Hope you'll enjoy your stay.

Thanks!
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc

^ The inner moderator in me can't help but point out a couple forum etiquette tips:

1. Make sure have the "HTML" button ticked at the bottom of your posts so the formatting will show up correctly.

2. When replying to posts, it is generally unnecessary to quote the entire post. Use the up arrow or ^ to reference posts above. If the number of posts exceeds 5 or so ^, then a quote or "@username" is more appropriate.

3. When asking questions here on the forum, we have several "Ask" threads for different topics. Use the general ask thread for general questions or the other ask threads for specific questions (e.g. FVD ask help, 3d modeling ask thread, or the scripting ask thread).

Otherwise, welcome to the forums and happy building!
    To answer your question,lots of people prefer fvd as far as i know as it is really precise and you have more control over the track but hand building gives you a better introduction to the program and its features.

Hope this helps!
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op

It's worth noting that FVD is an advanced tool that people get used to AFTER starting with hand building. There are a lot of concepts and features to become familiar with. Get that foundation in place first, build some coasters, then as you improve your technique you can take a look to see if FVD will do better for you.

-Ride_Op
    •  
      CommentAuthorHafizBazzi

Welcome to the community Nimrodd. I'd recommend you start off with handbuilding. As for tutorials, heres some handbuilding tutorials by another member on the forums (TheCodeMaster). I used these when I first got NL2 and they helped alot :)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7EKfB0I_zAUD2vimq4dqt2UPxGhtsTnn
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2016 edited

I would also recommend to get some basic familiarity with the internal tools and functions first for the case that you didn't already have.
    (Note that there's also an inbuilt FVD tool and also tools to use predefined elements and even the possibility to enter your own formulas that define your shape).

When it's really just about the building technique I actually think the best option would be to start with both in parallel (build a simple FVD based and a simple hand built coaster) and then decide or combine.
    Thanks!