Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Thank you sooo much for this King! I love all your finds and research. <33
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2017 edited

^ Aww thank you, glad you appreciate it!

-

Creosens is a french engineering company, and they made a coaster product shaped like an extreme zip-line:

They aim for inversions, lie-down and flying position, 4g, etc. Their target isn't really amusement parks, but rather malls, cruise ships, or other unusual places like cliff sides.

The concepts are a bit over the top, but they are serious about it. In fact, they developed in-house they own coaster design software, and it looks like a cross between NoLimits 2 and FVD++!

(clearance envelop... *drool*)

You can have either geometric input by moving the nodes, or a force-vector design input (*drool*x2):

(It's a short video, so Right click -> Show controls -> Play)

They are currently building a prototype. However, the car has still to be designed.

Interview (in french) with more images
    a coaster i saw the plans for once in a quick snaphot on a video was the "bigger one" at blackpool pleasurebeach, the video nolonger exists and even then it had a pixilated rendering of what it could be but it was a 500ft launch coaster going out over the sea in what looked like a huge immelman or diveloop. i did try to recreate it in NL1 called XL-500 it does have a thread on here somewhere, if anyone can find anything on this it would be amazing!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2017

Your ride is still up on the exchange, but I didn't find any thread.

So this was a real concept Blackpool did envisioned? Crazy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBrett-Jones
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2017 edited

yeah the concept wasnt like the one i made, it looked like it was all in one line, no turn around back into the station, the track went out up and theback under itself, so maybe the plan was for a 4D type thing? the supports were very wide looking as if it would accommodate a wing rider of some sorts.

they then went looking at a top hat style the footers for a strata coaster bigger than kingda ka are still out on the beach you can see it on google earth

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/The+Big+One/@53.7906282,-3.0582117,235m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x684d1b50574d5445!8m2!3d53.7893261!4d-3.055378
    This intrigued me, so I went looking for some articles or some info related to it just to check if it was real. Turns out, it was

Archived News Site With Ride Details

Shame the video doesn't exist anymore
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2017 edited

Neat B&M technical drawing displayed at Walygator. Thanks touffman for providing the pictures.

A wheel:

A cross section of a track:

The lift hill and supports:

So much infos here:

- Pre-lift lenght: 6,80m
    - Lift angle: 26°
    - Track radius at bottom: 6m
    - Track radius at the top: 14m
    - Pre-drop angle : 26°(?)
    - Average support span : 10m

Right click -> Open in a new tab to have a full size version of the pictures.
    •  
      CommentAuthornolimiters
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2017 edited

Posted By: KingRCT3- Lift angle: 26°
    - Track radius at bottom: 6m
    - Track radius at the top: 14m

Pretty damn usefull! Thanks for sharing!
    UGH Who left that ruler there lmao.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2017 edited

I know right, pretty frustrating isn't it. These drawingsq are part of a museum about the history, past and present attractions of Walygator. I guess it's a "theming element", it seems screwed-in position...
    Why the question mark after 26*? Look at the angle in the picture too, it's the same as that of the ascent. Makes sense to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2017

^ I guess so, but since we can't read it I wasn't entierly sure about that.

Have you any idea why the radius for the predrop is marked as R 11450+2550 instead of R 14000 ?

• CommentAuthorTheBeatles

Perhaps to include the radius of the catwalks?
    Oh, I thought those were stats listed somewhere and you were questioning them even though the picture seems to support them lol. I see now. Carry on :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

^^ You might be on to something.

^ Haha no, everything I listed is what I found from this picture.
    •  
      CommentAuthorProjektion

I've posted about this before, but in the original plans/models for PortAventura, Dragon Khan was originally intended to be an Arrow looper with interlocking loops

•  
      CommentAuthorintim305

lowkey that could have been cooler than dragon khan
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2017 edited

In his latest Planet Coaster video, Silvarret talks a bit about GCI shaping, thanks to some insights by Kyle Sloane.

Interesting facts:
    - GCI design there coasters in three distinct steps: overhead layout ; elevation changes and only then banking. They are drawn with geometric shapes (circles, straight lines, parabolas, sin, etc). I wish we had such a way of building in NoLimits 2.
    - Pops of air between -0.1g and -0.2g.
    - Despite having a share amount of crossovers, GCI (almost?) never crosses under a turn, due to the complexity of the supports in here.
    - Brakes are banked on the opposite direction of the last turn (due to laterals forces).

What Silvain missed in here is the storage section... which is actually the first thing GCI places when designing a layout.

Kyle once made an interesting post in the Force Vector Design thread, too:

Posted By: Kyle SloaneTips:
    - design with geometric distance based
    - Only 3 transitions you should ever have for yaw and pitch: quadratic, flat line, and instant (cubic transitions less than 5 meters). Sidenote: the sloped section of quadratic sections always must touch the zero axis.

- ONLY cubic transitions for roll graph, as smooth as possible after it starts curving. Anything that looks like a spline curve will do..

- Minimize lats with banking in some places, and allow them in others, if you allow lats, underbank rather than overbank.
    - Try to align sections of the graphs for, yaw, or pitch. (i.e. start pitching up the exact place you start turning), but not the roll graph; usually offset by at least a meter or two..
    - Maximum negative g-force of around -.1 or -.2 when designing, if it runs faster than that by a bit then its fine.. ;)
    I suddenly want to make a GCI
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2017

That's... really good stuff.

•  
      CommentAuthorDanSm1l3r
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2017

Can anyone confirm my suspicion here that the predrop doesn't 100% flatten out before dropping off again?
    It would make sense, don't want you train to stall out up to there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorProjektion
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2017

^Aside for Dragon Khan and maybe Apollos Chariot, I don't see stalling being an issue since the pre-drops are so short, a part of the train would always be pushed by an incline.
    • CommentAuthorPopFilms

Well, the brake on the pre-drop could be activated. But that wouldn't be a stall necessarily.
    How many predrops actually have brakes on them though? Raging Bull and Apollo’s Chariot are the only ones I can think of.
    Alpengeist does and it uses them regularly. It's quite odd, and although I loved the ride, I did find it annoying that they try to bleed speed from the ride before it even gets going. There's no way it can make much of a difference anyway.
    • CommentAuthorPopFilms

Bizzaro at Great Adventure, Green Lantern at Great Adventure, Batman at Great Adventure... I only know because I ride those very often.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDC High Heat
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2017 edited

It's been a while since I rode (1997-2000) so I could be mistaken, but when it opened Alpengeist didn't use its post-lift brake. I do know the MCBR brakes were way less aggressive than they are now. Seems they've been doing what they can to control intensity/maintenance costs for a long time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCrazycoaster

^^ I just checked the Green Lantern POV and the Batman POV, there’s no brake on either of their predrops. Bizarro does have one however.

Do any other Inverts other than Alpengeist have it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc

Both Afterburn and Katun have a brake, but I've never seen the brake on Afterburn active.

Silver Bullet is a good example showing that most predrops are likely angled, due to it being just an elongated normal predrop.

As for the brake, most dive machines have both brakes AND drive wheels in their predrops ;)
    • CommentAuthorPopFilms

^^^ Huh. I seem to remember them but it's been a while since I've done them in the front. Bizarro I just rode in the front on Monday so I have a vivid memory of it.
    ^^ Dive coasters don’t have predrops though. A predrop is a drop before the main drop.
    •  
      CommentAuthorProjektion

^^^Is Silver bullets pre drop actually inclined though? From the pictures I can see, it looks like the start of the section after the lift (end of the red track) is actually flat, then it starts curving down slowly for the actual drop.

Edit: Personally I can't really see a reason why a pre-drop would be inclined unless it's just to reduce stress on the track (With exception to Apollo's Chariot due to the brake and the pre-drop being longer than the train).

^of course, I'm only going off of my own eyes in person, but I'm fairly certain it is sloped down.
    I thought I saw Afterburn had a Brake for it's Pre-Drop, I'd have to double check.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc

^ I confirmed that it did as well as Katun.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDanSm1l3r

Nemesis doesn't have a predrop brake. I know that much.
    TTD doesn't have a pre-drop brake run.

I'm looking at you, KK.

• CommentAuthorPopFilms
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2017

•  
      CommentAuthorintim305
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2017

https://gyazo.com/6b4f86d092649b6aeb75d37999c48726
    Um, my point was that Kingda Ka does have brakes while TTD doesn't.
    Neither TTD or KK have predrops, so the point isn’t really relevant to the conversation.
    KK needed that trim, the pullout was peaking like 6Gs consistently, especially when it was launched too fast it was getting really ridiculous.
    Gotta go fast...

If you guys want some layouts, I have three of some popular clones.

• CommentAuthorPopFilms
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2017

Awesome! I really like the FOF one!
    • CommentAuthorteejaysyke
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2017

Posted By: Kyle SloaneKK needed that trim, the pullout was peaking like 6Gs consistently, especially when it was launched too fast it was getting really ridiculous.

It's not a trim, it's been there since before they even tested the ride. There are two reasons it's there. 1. to prevent stalls at the top like TTD and 2. to elongate the time at the top and give a "hanging" experience over the top hat
    •  
      CommentAuthorraptoralex

How does it prevent stalls if it's on the downward side? And how is it not a trim if it literally trims the speed from the drop?
    • CommentAuthorteejaysyke

^It's there to help pull the train over over if it was launched perfect enough to balance out because the front of the train would be in the magnetic area. I guess it's a trim in that aspect
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

^I assumed it was so they can make the launch a bit faster than normal so it'd have a much less likely chance of rolling back.