Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorMilBee
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2016 edited

Introduction

So I am a civil engineering student graduating in December and my school requires that each student does a senior project. This project is done in a group of 3 or 4 and the school leaves it up to the students to pick the project. The only requirement is that it uses most, if not all, of the classes that we took in college.

My group, consisting of me and two other students, chose to design an apartment complex for the school. The housing at my school is sub-par so this project was very easy to justify. As a group, we have to survey the site, design everything, make a cost estimation and present this all at the end of the semester.

The building we are designing is a four story steel structure. On floor 2-4, there will be 6 units that house 4 people. Each unit has a living room, kitchen, balcony, 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, storage and a washer/dryer.

Work Already Completed

My group and I chose a site near campus and surveyed it last semester. All the data from the GPS was put into Civil 3D and a site map was made which can be seen below. The building floor plan (although subject to change) has been placed on the map to give you an idea of where it will be located. We are planning on putting a parking lot in the front and back of the building with a road connecting them on the right side.

I am in charge of the structural design for the building and I am using STAAD Pro to assist me in the design. Doing all the calculations by hand would take an eternity. All I have to do is put the geometry of the building in, put the dead, live, roof live, snow and wind loads in and the program does the rest of the work for me.

Since the general geometry of the building is known, I have been working on floor plans for the interior of the building. Below is the floor plan for floors 2-4 because the first floor has a slightly different layout. The building is symmetrical so I only had to draw half the building and I could mirror it to the other half.

The picture below shows a more detailed look at the units to the left of the lobby. My group wanted to make the lobby of this building be open to all the floors so this unit has a balcony that overlooks the lobby.

The pictures below show the rest of the units because they each have a slightly different layout.

Work to Be Completed

These floor plans are pretty much done but I just have to put in two staircases and elevators. Also, these are not final and they are going to change; I probably missed some building code and I will have to go back and fix it.

These are some of the tasks to still be completed:

- Finish floor plans
    - Design building in STAAD Pro
    - Soil testing
    - Hydrology analysis
    - Foundation design
    - Parking lot design
    - 3D model
    - Material quantities
    - Cost estimation
    - Project binder

I'll update this more as the semester goes on!

This gives a little bit of a glimpse to anyone who is thinking about going into civil engineering. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!
    • CommentAuthorkryptos001
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2016

I'm actually a first-year CE, so it's really nice to see what I'm working towards. The two questions that come to mind are 1) what do you plan on doing with your degree and 2) how are you planning/mapping out utilities and such (water, electricity, AC, etc)?
    •  
      CommentAuthornolimiters

I'm a construction engineering student, starting graduation soon, but it seems the difficulty of the graduation project are way different.
    Mine is so much harder... :'(
    • CommentAuthorMilBee

@kryptos: I really want to do something structural so that is why I picked a building for this project. I do not think I would like doing geotechnical engineering or anything like that. As far as utilities, I am not sure how detailed we have to be in these floor plans so we may not have to worry about that. If we do, then I am going to have to do a lot of research. It is something I will have to talk to my adviser about.

@nolimiters: Yeah, I think every project differs depending on location. What all do you have to do for yours?