Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorride_op
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2016 edited

We are rapidly approaching Roundup 150! To make this huge milestone Roundup more interesting, we have created a special contest with PRIZES for everyone who makes it into Roundup 150! Here are the rules:

- All submissions for Roundup 150 must be set to Unlisted on YouTube and not be posted anywhere. Keep your video secret. If it's listed or shared anywhere, it'll be disqualified.
    - The coaster/park featured and the entire video must be your own work. You may not submit a video of someone else's coaster/park.
    - The park/coaster(s) featured in the video must be your own work, however they do not need to be brand new for this contest.
    - One video submission per person. If you send us more than one submission, we'll only take the last one sent.
    - We will send a custom made small prize out to the 10 people whose submitted videos are featured in Roundup 150. If you are under 18, you must have your parents contact us and give their permission.
    - Any video not featured in Roundup 150 will be eligible for our normal weekly roundups 151 and 152.
    - Videos must be submitted no later than December 18th, 2016.
    - Codemaster will procrastinate and place 11th again. He will win a nice post-it note with 11 written on it.

Official entry form for Roundup 150

Prize: The Wheelie!

We will make 10 custom wooden coaster wheels, each one unique. 1st place winner of Roundup 150 gets to choose from the full selection. 2nd place will choose from the remaining 9. 3rd place from the remaining 8, and so on.

Please note the exact line up of wheels has not been finalized so the 10 shown below will not necessarily be the final ones to choose from. We will post final renders of the 10 final Wheelies as the designs are finalized. Yes, we see the base sticking through the name plate...test render as we go through design iterations. Also worth noting that if the real life wheel has holes in it, the final Wheelie will as well.

Questions? Feel free to ask away!

-Ride_Op
    • CommentAuthornSeven
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2016

LOL sick Patrick-warBURNton broh.

So this is like roundup100 but without the crazy difficult loopy's.
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op

Yeah, exact prize TBD. Something much easier to produce though that isn't 15 pieces. We have ideas in mind and it'll still be really cool.

-Ride_Op
    I can't wait for this roundup, hopefully we'll see even better projects than we did in 100! Personally, I'm most excited for Code; this is the chance to kill 11 forever or entrench himself in the name for the rest of eternity.
    Crobra rollys this time! Lol anyway can't wait to see the entries
    I have a brand new project well on its way for this contest. I am excited for it.
    You do know that they'll give Code 11th again however good his entry is? ;) Then probably send him a "Mister 11" prize.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix

Posted By: ride_opWe are rapidly approaching Roundup 150!
    Posted By: ride_oprapidly approaching
    Posted By: ride_oprapidly
    *panics and cries running around in circles*

This time the contest will be even more exciting and challenging I guess, as there are far more entries which probably are even higher quality than last time. I need to continue to work on my project. Anyone here to motivate me? :D

Also, good luck to everyone participating!
    •  
      CommentAuthorZergei

>tfw you had two ideas and even more and have barely started x0
    "If you are under 18, you must have your parents contact us and give their permission."

Whaaat so I need to ask my parents -_-
    Probably wont to be able to enter unless i become LeFlo overnight and become able to make good generic 3d scenery
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op

^^ Parents permission is a concern for the winners as we would like parental consent before any minor gives out their mailing address over the internet.

-Ride_Op
    Excited for this contest.
    • CommentAuthorTheBeatles

Please don't let nSeven's joke go unnoticed.

That was awful, Mike.
    • CommentAuthorDelay

Code, it seems like you'll have to wait 'til the last second. Look, it's even written down on the rules!
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo

No loopy? Count me out! ;)
    • CommentAuthornSeven
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2016

My joke was pure Joseph, you just jelly...

">tfw you had two ideas and even more and have barely started x0"

Yup...I've had about 5 different ideas already...found something else I like...might try that...

The vice grip of the clock isn't quite at the fever pitch yet...gimme another month or two...
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2016

Hi folks,

Update on Roundup 150: We're going to use a special form for submissions rather than email. This will make it much easier for us to sort through the work and judge everything. We'll send the form link out around Roundup 145.

-Ride_Op
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2016

Here are the main 3 criteria we are looking at when judging submissions for Roundup 100/150:

- Quality of the Coaster(s)
    - Quality of the Scenery
    - Quality of the Presentation
    - If your name is Codemaster

What do these all mean? Let's break them down.

Quality of the Coaster(s)

This aspect looks at the quality of the coaster(s) shown in the final video. We are looking at a number of factors including (but not limited to):

- Smoothness of track
    - Realism of the design
    - Supports
    - Excitement/Fun Factor of the ride experience (aligned to the type of coaster)
    - Uniqueness

The coaster shown should be smooth, meaning build errors like pumps and snaps should be minimized. Banking is also key here: the coaster should change directions smoothly, with banking changes and rolls being smooth. The continuous roll "wobble" should not happen (where the track banks a few degrees in the opposite direction prior to rolling the correct direction).

The coaster should be realistic for the track type chosen. This is somewhat subjective, however we will not be judging if a particular design is "proper" B&M or Intamin. We're looking to see if the ride shows realistic forces that are survivable by humans.

Supports should be built to visually look like they could hold up whatever you have the coaster doing. Supports that are too sparse or not built with correct bracing for the types of movements will stand out. Note, again this can be subjective as one winner last year held up a coaster with hot air balloons. It was purely fantasy of course, but the overall fantasy presentation worked so well the ride earned #2. If you are not doing something as fantastical as that, build plausible supports.

Excitement/Fun Factor is another somewhat subjective category. Riders should have a good time on your ride without long dull moments of waiting for something to happen. Pacing plays a role in this as well, though that is very subjective. Pacing boils down to the experience of the ride avoiding dead time where nothing really seems to be going on. Lift hills are an exception of course, though if your lift hill is 1 mph and the coaster is 300 feet high, we're gonna be bored. The idea is that your riders should not get bored on the ride. How you do that is up to you.

Uniqueness is the final aspect of the coaster that we look at. This of course is asking you to do something interesting and novel with your ride. A boomerang clone won't get far here, nor would a boomerang with an extra loop. This is where leaving the "proper" styling of the coaster manufacturer behind can help. Do something cool with your ride. Surprise us.

Note: All coasters shown with POVs will be evaluated. If additional coasters are present but not shown in POV, we'll evaluate what we can see. Quality and time devoted to the construction of the coaster(s) featured will show.

Quality of the Scenery

This looks at everything around your coaster that helps bring the scene to life and deliver an amazing experience. As we looked through Roundup 100 entries we ended up inventing a new term: green field. Coasters that filled the view with scenery objects, other rides, other coasters, mountains, water, lava, trees, parking lots, and so on are vastly more interesting to look at than coasters that are sitting in an empty, flat field of green grass (default terrain). Many of Roundup 100s submissions had some very strong rides with some good scenery in the immediate area around the coaster. As you got higher on the coaster it was clear to see that the rest of the build area was left untouched or only had trees randomly scattered around. Filling up the background of what the camera can see is essential to creating a fun experience.

This aspect also covers any scripted experiences that are part of the ride. Anything that the coaster interacts with that helps tell any story is part of the scenery. Roundup 100's top 3 coasters all told stories through the visuals which really made everything that much more amazing.

We'll be evaluating how much effort you put into the areas surrounding your coaster for this aspect.

Quality of the Presentation

Here's where the video editing kicks in. It's not enough to just have an amazing coaster with tons of incredible theming and send in a plain, unedited POV. Music choice, cuts, camera angles, camera movement, and other things all affect the presentation of your coaster. Amazing presentation can turn an ordinary coaster into something phenomenal all through creative camera angles, good music choice (to fit a mood or emotion), cuts, video processing, and so on. This aspect looks at how interesting the video is.

If your name is Codemaster then you get 11th place. Sorry, our hands are tied.*

Any questions? Feel free to ask away!

-Ride_Op

* j/k, we are going to be fair to all entries
    • CommentAuthornSeven
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2016

Here we go again, hope you all are quietly designing in the background.
    •  
      CommentAuthorProjektion

Oh, it has to include a coaster? welp, I'm out.
    I've got to finish Lost City reimagined, but then I'll be working full time on getting Pixel Dash completed. I think I probably need some more theming if those criteria are being followed strictly, it's literally on a black background with a black skybox and lots of lights + custom station :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorSedjuuurd
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2016 edited

I have a project for halloween... problem is. i want to release it at halloween. but also give it up to this project.

aarrggh... strugles

EDIT: ugh fine i came to the decision to make the video start with halloween special.

Spoiler Image so you guys know what your up against: http://imgur.com/h99Daap
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op

You can release the park then, but wait to do a video for this contest. The stipulation is that the video must remain unlisted until the winners are announced. The park can go up before hand.

-Ride_Op
    Can I request a legal name change?
    Oh boy this should be good...can't wait for all the suggestions. May I start the fun with the simple but effective name: "Mr. Eleven?"
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2016

Make It Rain Racks In The Club? Good name?
    ^^ I agree with this
    • CommentAuthorDelay

Thepersonwhohatestheprimenumber11?
    •  
      CommentAuthordawa212

There is a time limit for the video?
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op

No specific time restriction or minimum. Go with what feels right for the content, keeping in mind that you want the video to be just as interesting as your coaster.

-Ride_Op
    •  
      CommentAuthorNemesisRider
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2016 edited

Ride_Op, do you choose whatever designs you like most or is there a "quota" on mixing up the ride styles used? Last time there was two MACKs, I just want to know if doing an Infinity means I'll have no chance against Terror Tracks because it's so amazing (if it's done for then) :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2016 edited

We pick and rank the 10 best of the submissions entered. Coaster style chosen does not matter and we have no quota. That said, if we have 10 RMCs submitted they start competing with each other to see which one stood out more. To figure out how to allocate 10 winning positions we have to figure out ways one entry is "better" than another. It's one of the reasons why green field became a thing: we had a lot of great coasters sent in but did not have 20 spots available, we had 10. So it took more than a great coaster to make the list.

Focus on taking whatever style you decide on to the next level. Put another way, there are mine train coasters and then there is Big Thunder Mountain. All mine trains are fun family rides, however one has a lot more put into the theme and presentation. For Roundup 150, Big Thunder Mountain would make the list. Colorado Adventure might make it, but would be overshadowed by Big Thunder (CA's mountain interiors are not finished, just exposed steel and framing in darkness). Adventure Express would do well in a regular roundup and probably go to the short list of 150, but would not place if Big Thunder and Colorado Adventure we're available or stronger entries of other types. Cedar Creek Mine Ride would not do well for 150.

-Ride_Op
    •  
      CommentAuthorZergei
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2016

^ What do you mean?!? Cedar Creek Mine Ride is the best coaster of all time!
    When you say it has to all be our own work. What if we add a flat ride that another user has made as part of the background of the area?
    ^I think you're just best using your own judgment. The reason behind the rule is that they want it to be mostly your creation, whatever that entails. I'm sure you could reuse flats and other assets so long as the coasters and such are yours.
    ^ Cool. Yeah the coaster and everything else is mine. I wanted to give my ride a park feel too it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2016 edited

The intent of that rule is to prevent people from downloading and making a video of Terra Park or other such well made masterpieces. Also to make nSeven build a coaster. It's gotta be your park.

-Ride_Op
    ^ Cool. Yeah its my park. I am just using a flat ride as background in my park.
    •  
      CommentAuthorXYZcoaster
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2016

Hmm, I'm wondering if an I-Box conversion of Pepsi Max Big One would be appropriate for this...
    ^^ Now that would pretty crazy.
    ^^^ Weirdly enough this is an idea I've had for a long time but never done, the structure is nearly like a woodie at some points. If you do this somewhat realistically I think that's a cool and unique idea!
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2016 edited

That was the first ride that came to my mind when RMC stated they could rework steel coasters as well, but I didn't thought about iBox at that time (it wasn't even a thing yet).
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2016

Pretty much around 6 weeks to go! How's everyone doing with their Roundup 150 projects?

-Ride_Op
    I might have just started, but depending on the success of it, I may or may not enter.
    7 months in. It's coming along nicely. Can't wait to show it off.
    •  
      CommentAuthorzampano
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2016

pff... don't know if I'll make it..
    ^Dont worry, everyone else is time-stricken, too. With the exception of TheCodeMaster, who will probably be finished within the week
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2016

So certain are you? He does have a full 7 weeks left to distract himself.

Keep going Zampano! Don't give up...plug away and it'll all come together.

-Ride_Op