Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorride_op
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2017

In reviewing videos submitted for these mega-roundups, we are looking at 3 main elements: quality of the coaster experience (build quality, ride experience, “fun”, creativity. story), quality of the scenery (immersive environment, scripting, in-game effects, theme, greenfield), and quality of the presentation (video editing, camera work). Rides that excel in these contests achieve a balance of these three, and usually blow one or more of them completely out of the water. One of the most difficult things to do is effectively tell a story to riders on a themed attraction. You only have a couple of minutes to get necessary imagery and story points across to elicit specific emotional responses from riders. The story has to be powerful, immediate, obvious, and concentrated. We lean toward honoring rides the highest which go beyond theming into telling a story because it is so difficult to do. With that in mind, here are my official reviews of the Honorable Mentions and top ten finalists for Roundup 150.

Honorable Mentions

Dead Factory II
    This is a new video for an updated project first built for RoundUp 100 which wasn’t entered due to some email technical difficulties (still not sure why we aren’t getting emails from this person through). Dead Factory II’s second video expands on the haunt maze queue walkthrough even further with a great set of scares. The ride experience has a number of novel effects that are well done during the indoor sections.
    Outdoors the ride becomes more pedestrian, lacking the spooky environment of the original Dead Factory. The queue line scares, while well done, did not need to be presented in a full POV walkthrough which just took too much time. A more concentrated video with more going on outside (or less time spent outside on the coaster) would have moved this one up the ranks. I was a big fan of the surprises throughout Dead Factory originally. Here’s a case where the sequel didn’t quite live up. Still lots of great work to admire and definitely worthy of a place on the Roundup 150 Honorable Mentions list.

Firefall
    Here we have a meticulously and perfectly built RMC coaster with a fun, exciting layout, zipping through forests and over rocks. The environment is particularly dreamy and suggests that a large fire is nearby. This couldn’t have been more RMC unless Alan Schilke himself had designed it.
    I’ll admit – I’m out of touch when it comes to games these days. I’ve got a toddler and a puppy, a full time job and NoLimits 2. I had no idea Firefall is a game or what it’s about. So, I had to go purely one what I saw presented to me in the video. I saw a solid coaster built in a forest with rocks and a wooden structure. I was also confused about what the “first time ever” thing was…the loop? Didn’t strike me as that impressive honestly. So, the backstory and atmosphere did not mean anything to me just from the name (didn’t know anything), and all I saw was a pretty RMC flying through trees and over rocks. Unfortunately, we received MANY super well built coasters flying through trees and over rocks. This, was one of them. The one that stood out from the rest did so with presentation and a brilliant bit of editing/videography that pulled it ahead of the pack of coasters built in trees and rocks.
    The coaster is perfectly built, and a bit more work to give the theme some life for people who had never heard of it, perhaps with some dramatic lighting and smoke effects for a real fire feel and you would have given the ride a story that did not rely on outside knowledge.
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op

Pixel Dash
    Here’s a coaster that looks spectacular in screenshots and really holds true to it’s theme of being in a video game. The fake menus at the beginning and 8-bit pixelazation really was clever. Fantastic lighting and glowing cubes made it seem like we were in a video game.
    The problem is after 30 seconds you’ve seen everything this video has to offer. The coaster itself drags on too long and runs awfully slow through the tops of some hills. More variety in color use, in animated blocks, and a shorter, more concentrated ride layout would have helped improve this ride from being the one-trick pony it turned out to be. It was a favorite, but couldn’t quite push up into the top ten. Wonderful work that we have been proud to feature on many SSS!

Nikola Tesla
    Here we have a beautiful ride with some clever support engineering and a wonderful environment. The theme is quite strong with a heavy industrial look to the towers and a nice glow on the rails suggesting energy is somehow flowing through the ride. The coaster looks glass smooth and full of plenty of airtime, reminiscent of Colossos at Heide Park.
    This ended up being this project’s main downfall. Colossos is a fun coaster with very enjoyable airtime. It’s also repetitive, on the simple side, and not the most stand-out attraction at the park. It’s a ride I’d definitely ride every time I visit, but not a headlining, landmark coaster that I would intentionally visit the park for. The coaster peters out some near the end, not quite flying through the rest of the layout. Additionally, I had to make some conclusions about the energy theme carrying through the ride. I would have liked to see something to imply that Nikola Tesla’s energy power was somehow interacting with the coaster or powering the coaster.
    This remains a solid coaster and a wonderful dreary environment. A more exciting coaster and more inclusion of some scripted elements would have brought the theme to life and pushed the coaster into the top ten.

Atmos
    The horrible honor of 11th place falls to Atmos, a beautifully executed pair of coasters in a spectacular environment with very detailed decrepit buildings. These rides are heavily built into the environment and do not appear out of place. The abandoned nuclear factory motif is very strong and very well built. Having later downloaded and walked around this park I was extremely impressed.
    The presentation is what let this project down. The video is simply too long, showing way too many shots of the coaster. If the video was half as long and chose the shots carefully it would have blown us away and easily placed. After last year’s strong Dragon coaster, this one hurt to fall out of the top ten as we were hoping for something as similarly creative. A stronger video is all this project needs…and a bit more glowing nuclear waste for dramatic lighting in some areas. Cause who doesn’t like glowing nuclear waste?
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op

10th Place: The Last Day
    This coaster is set in a very nice urban environment with some kind of apocalypse underway. Chaos is unfolding as police try to keep the bad elements at bay. The story unfolds in visuals glimpsed from the ride, both scenery and scripted elements. This ride impresses with a definite purpose that is well put together.
    Some in the community wondered (loudly) why this video made the list and others did not. True, the coaster isn’t as well built as some others we honored. This coaster did balance all three elements pretty well, with the story/theme elements of the ride standing tall on their own and shining through. This helped propel the coaster into the top ten and earned it a place in the list.

9th Place: Jet Ski Action Experience
    This extremely clever stunt coaster is a new video of an existing coaster that deserves all the praise we can give it. The jet ski themed trains, scripted action scenes, and bright, colorful environment all come together to give the impression that riders are the stars of a Miami Vice type stunt show. The clever use of a banked transfer track launch is extremely creative and one of the hallmark moments of this ride.
    This video also suffers from the feeling of being too long. The coolness factor starts to evaporate the more we see the same kind of thing over and over. Over use of slow motion actually disrupts the flow severely to the point where the excitement fades some. This pulled the coaster down the list, but the theme execution, creative camera work, and fun, clever coaster experience all ensured this ride was a lock to win a Wheelie.

8th Place: Animikii
    One of many perfectly built coasters in a forest with rocks, this one stood out from the pack due to a 20 second long dream sequence with coaster trains flying around invisible tracks in all direction. This imaginative bit of imagery required some clever video editing and a vision to pull it together in line with the sort of Native American theme suggested by the name and logo.
    We would have liked to see what the station looked like and some of the surroundings to see if there was more than just trees and rocks to theme the ride. Those extra elements would help ground the ride into looking like it belonged somewhere and wasn’t just in the wilderness. Still, the trippy dream sequence is worth the cost of admission and worthy of 8th place in our list.
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op

7th Place: Three Evils: Neverender – The Coheed and Cambria Coaster
    Upping his efforts by 50% from last year, Zampano turned in a triple dueling coaster with perfectly timed triple dueling elements throughout the long ride. A beautiful environment, custom station building for all 3 coasters, custom supports, and expert craftsmanship ensured some of the most amazing money shots were lined up for capture. Trains constantly race away and back, crossing each other’s path throughout the long journey.
    Another video that suffered from being too long. Showing the full POVs of all 3 coasters dragged this effort from rising higher up the list, especially since the third coaster shown slows quite a bit as it limps to the final brakes. A shorter video, filmed perhaps from a 4th invisible chase coaster, would have been amazing if it could keep lining up for the important shots and show how the 3 coasters interacted the whole time.
    That first spiraling drop though…just wow. The visual of all three trains spinning away through it is so memorable I don’t think anyone else can make something as cool in a racing/dueling coaster.

6th Place: Nighthawk
    Here we have a superbly edited video. The opening titles in the environment are super cool, the coaster is high adrenaline and well-built, and the video’s pacing is absolutely spot on. The video leaves you satisfied and wanting more. In a Roundup full of really long videos that should have been more concentrated this one went in the right direction of distilling down to the good stuff.
    On the downside, no night, and no birds in sight, so the name is a total fail. Joking aside, there really is no theme here. Just a great coaster expertly shot and edited. We’d ride it for sure! Nice clever touches and solid video editing earns 6th place easily.

5th P1ace: Ta1oc
    Code finally redeems himself by putting in double the effort, a full 4 days worth! Taloc features a wonderful environment, fantastic scenery that completely hides any grassy fields out there, and an expertly built coaster to make a wonderful experience. The video editing was sharp, music choice good, and the overall theme/feel was well presented. Amazing what happens with some effort! Great work, and we’re happy to list this as our 5th place coaster.
    It was fun hearing Code sweating bu11ets during the live reveal chat, wasn’t it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op

4th Place: Klugheim In Motion
    Tobi’s stunning effort to recreate Phantasialand’s newest themed area really shows in the quality of the scenery in this video. Every minute detail is recreated with such care and dedication. Both coasters are expertly reproduced, as shown in the multitude of videos comparing the efforts to the real thing.
    Again the theme of a too long video creeps up here. This video features plenty of shots of the surroundings and full POVs of both coasters. Trimming the POVs down, chopping the video in half, and showing more of the night footage would have really done wonders and pushed this one up a spot or two. Some may compare this to last year’s winner and wonder why the slow pans around the queue were enough for first. That one topped the list for the ride experience. These coasters fly around the scenery, which is the best part of this experience. A few shots of the empty grass surrounding could have been avoided, and again, why for no more night lighting shots? Shorter, more night lighting, and more concentrated awesomeness would have pushed this up further.
    Amazing work nonetheless! Be proud of this beautiful recreation of a large chunk of a beautiful German theme park!

3rd Place: Hystereo
    The entire park is one big rave. Music is visualized. The light show is synchronized to the music, and those trains transform their front cars through magic! So much cool stuff going on in this it’s hard to really describe unless you see it in person. The camera moves are amazing. The visuals are jaw dropping. The execution of all that scripting is pure joy. This is so well done it’s beyond words to describe. We could only ask for a bit more coaster in there (almost feels like an afterthought and has a pump or two). Otherwise it’s just plain great!

2nd Place: RumRunner – Family Thrill Coaster
    Wow, where did this come from? The surprise coaster of the group, this one knocked us over with a supremely well told story experience and some very clever custom scripting. Sly touches abound throughout the ride, queue, and scenery. The scripted elements are perfectly handled, especially that trick track backward drop! So much great stuff here that we can’t really fault any of it. Were this any other mega roundup, this would have won. Great work showcasing the story.
    If I had to pick any nits, it’s that the music only appears to be background for the video. It’s not tied into the ride experience like it was cut/edited for the ride. Taking the experience to the next level would require choosing music cues throughout that underscore the visuals being shown.
    Fantastic work all around! We’ll take a round of explosive rum any time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op

1st Place: The Twilight Zone: Terror Tracks
    How many other projects have pulled off what Joseph Pojunis pulled off? The story is perfect. The video editing is perfect. The ride experience is amazing. The effects are brilliant and all in real time. Running a successful kickstarter to hire Mark Silverman? Insane! And on top of it all, it wasn’t just a publicity thing. The ride is great.
    I’ve brought up in private a number of things that could be improved. In my eyes, the whole experience is already an 11 out of 10. The other items I brought up could bring it to a deserving 13. Still, you can’t really fault anything on display here. Joseph knew exactly what he wanted to present and executed every element of it to perfection. I have no doubt that I’ll be riding rides he’s helped create in 10 years or less.

Thank you everyone who submitted videos. We had a very hard time ranking the top 10 this year and we can’t wait to see what you create for Roundup 200!

-Ride_Op
    •  
      CommentAuthorRickPlays

^I must say thank you for making such cool community events at all. :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorzampano
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2017 edited

Thanks for the detailed reviews, really insightful!
    However, while I understand the point of my video being too long as a video, I would still leave the POVs in if I had the choice to reconsider. For me, the main part still is the coaster and I think it can only really be appreciated after seeing a full length pov. Otherwise it could as well have been a music video made from NL2 footage and not a ride/park presentation. That's also what I personally found lacking in the Animikii video or (partly) Hystereo: a complete picture of what the actual ride was like. Granted, Hystereo is really about the whole park. Don't get me wrong, both those videos were amazing and fully deserved their placement.

So basically the problem is that having a very long coaster results in a very uncomplete or too long video :/ I guess the quad dueler becomes further more unlikely for next time xD
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op

That's the hardest part of a long video: keeping the whole thing captivating. Just like a really long coaster it's hard to keep the whole thing great (looking at you Beast and Steel Dragon 2000). It's not that a long video is disallowed. Mr. Magnussen's was a long video and held up all the way through. It'd just harder to fill that much time.

It's tricky when your subject is 3 separate long coasters. Perhaps a triple split screen would have worked? I'm not sure what the exact solution is. I can only relate that by the time we are on the third coaster it's starting to blend together and it's hard to tell them apart, which starts working against you. Still, being on the list is a major accomplishment and these are still phenomenal coasters that took months of effort to intertwine. Great work!

-Ride_Op
    • CommentAuthorI305

Will any of these parks be available for download? I've been having trouble finding any of them except for Terror Tracks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani

^ Mine will sooner or - more likely - later - still wanted to rework some aspects for NL 2.5 and also add tiny bit more stuff.

Thanks for the review! Very interesting to read them.

Posted By: zampano[...]
    I see your point and my point of view on this is that I think it's an option to skip the POVs when you are not interested in them (except for when you have to judge in a contest :P) but for those who are interested in them they are a cool addition - from your video editing it was clear that a new part follows showing all POVs and you will not miss anything else from now on when you press skip and you're not interested in them (maybe a short title in the transition would have made it even more obvious) - I did exactly this and rewatched them later having more time left for them. ;-)

Of course it's also a strategy to left the full experience for the download but in my opinion they are an addition that does not hurt.

Edit: Not meant to disagree with any judgement but I think it's just a good opportunity to discuss things like this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorzampano

Posted By: ride_opStill, being on the list is a major accomplishment and these are still phenomenal coasters that took months of effort to intertwine. Great work!

I'm fully aware of that and I do agree wholeheartedly. I'm also very happy with my 7th place and all the higher places.

I wasn't looking to argue about my placement, I was merely thinking out loud about this seemingly inevitable "problem" for such a coaster. I will think about that. It certainly becomes more of a strategic decision which type of ride to present by taking this into account. Challenge accepted :D
    Thanks for the review, I totally understand real-world things getting in the way of the podcast. I ended up being pressed for time making Animikii, so I utilized ThePowerOfFilm to conceal everything I didn't get to making (such as a good station, remotely plausible surrounding area, or interesting buildings). I'm honored to be The trees-and-rocks entry that made it in.
    • CommentAuthorBullero
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2017

Thanks for the review Ride_op, I really enjoyed reading the comments on the top 10 / honorable mentions.

Zampano, now we are all expecting an epic quad dueller for roundup 200 :p
    •  
      CommentAuthorzampano
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2017 edited

^layout ideas is definitely not what I might be lacking (at least for RU 200), that's for sure ;)
    • CommentAuthornSeven
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2017

Posted By: zampano
    Posted By: ride_opStill, being on the list is a major accomplishment and these are still phenomenal coasters that took months of effort to intertwine. Great work!

I'm fully aware of that and I do agree wholeheartedly. I'm also very happy with my 7th place and all the higher places.

I wasn't looking to argue about my placement, I was merely thinking out loud about this seemingly inevitable "problem" for such a coaster. I will think about that. It certainly becomes more of a strategic decision which type of ride to present by taking this into account. Challenge accepted :D

Yeah, you had a unique situation being the 3 coasters. They were expertly crafted and beautifully set. But for whatever reason it didn't strike the same gold that Alpha/Omega had. Even when viewing the park in person, the scale and care of it all is impressive. But by the third coaster, that wears off and what's left is still an appreciation, but not awe and wonder like you had with Alpha/Omega.

You all have to remember, it's a video contest - and every minute you go over 4 you are risking a serious drop in energy on the video - there's only so much to see in a coaster video and once it's been played out, you can't retrieve it back. It's better to trim it up than to let it go long - leave the people wanting more than showing them too much.
    • CommentAuthorBigbad
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2017

My thought is that we obviously want to see all three POVs, but but a simple video of sequential POVs doesn't have to be the RoundUp entry. As nSeven mentioned, it's a video contest. The project on which you're evaluated is not the triple-dueling coasters, just the video.

So what I think for RU200 is that if you want to make a quad-dueling coaster, do it and release a simple sequential POV video after your RU entry, but do something else for your entry. Ride_op mentioned the possibility of a split screen. I can see some drawbacks to a 4-way split screen, but you'd be able to fit in a shorter amount of time, and then you can give a fairly raw POV of each coaster in sequence so we can see the dueling the way riders would.
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2017

A note on Wheelies:

We met recently and decided on a design concept for the base. Final wheel choices should be available soon as we work on the production of these items. We really hope to get them out sooner than the Loopys! Updates as I have them.

-Ride_Op
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2017

Wheelie design is being refined and we'll be doing some test cuts soon to determine if it will work. I'll have the final list of wheels to choose from soon for the winners to pick from.

-Ride_Op
    • CommentAuthorBullero
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2017

Great work ride_op, can't wait to see them!
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2017

Absolutely. Manufacturing will take some time so the decision process can take time as well.
    -Ride_Op

-
    •  
      CommentAuthorRickPlays
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2017

Oh, some time has passed. Are there some news about the manufacturing?
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2017

Not yet, currently the machine is offline and in pieces. We'll get them done! Sorry for the delays.

-Ride_Op
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2017 edited

Hey guys I wanted to inform you that I have released my roundup 150 entry park now!

download here
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2017

We are continuing to tweak the design of the wheelies to make them less complicated to build and starting to price materials. I'll have updated renders of the design soon. One small change is that the wheels will all be the same size and not to scale, a necessity to ensure costs stay reasonable and to reduce the complexity. The final award will be designed to hang on the wall rather than free stand.

-Ride_Op
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2017

We're close to revealing the final list of wheels to prepare for Wheelie Draft! I've got 10 chosen with one alternate and we're looking over the feasibility of them before committing to you guys making your choices. In related news, the CNC machine had been undergoing maintenance, and is now getting re-assembled. We're getting there...not much longer until we'll be in touch with the winners for Wheelie Draft!

-Ride_Op
    • CommentAuthorTheBeatles
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2017 edited

I feel that I should make it known that the only reason I entered the contest was for that S&S wheel.

edit: I kid, of course. The fact that these are even being made speaks volumes about the relationship between devs and players here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRickPlays
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2017

Sounds great!
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2017 edited

We are at long last ready to start the Wheelies draft! The 10 winners of #Roundup150 will be contacted in order and get to choose one of the remaining Wheelies below that haven't been chosen yet. The Wheelies are (l-r, t-b)

- Gerstlauer IC
    - Vekoma Mine Train
    - B&M
    - Timberliner
    - Intamin
    - Schwarzkopf
    - 4D - Joseph Pojunis
    - Corkscrew
    - Flying Dutchman
    - Mack

Each Wheelie is based on a real coaster wheel and each has been scaled to a uniform 6" diameter. The final wall mounted trophy will be around 8" wide at the base and 11 or so inches tall (final dimensions TBD).

Updates to follow as each trophy is chosen!
    (note production slated to begin in a few weeks)

-Ride_Op
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2017

Joseph takes the 4D! What will Robert take?

-Ride_Op
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2017

Robert took the Gerstlauer IC!
    Joshua V took the Corkscrew!
    Tobi took the Intamin!
    Code took the Flying Dutchman!

What will Justin take?

-Ride_Op
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2017

Wheelie draft is complete! Your winners:

- 4D - Joseph Pojunis
    - Gerstlauer IC - Robert Dank
    - Corkscrew - Joshua V
    - Intamin - Tobi
    - Flying Dutchman - TheCodeMaster
    - B&M - JetstreamCoasters
    - Mack - Zampano
    - Timberliner - CG Coasters
    - Schwarzkopf - Bestdani
    - Vekoma Mine Train - Rick

Production will begin soon. The wood has been ordered and the models are being prepared for the CNC machine.

-Ride_Op
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2017

I'll just leave this render here.

-Ride_Op
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2017 edited

Who needs fidget spinners when you have fidget coaster wheels?

Jokes aside, how does the wheel spin? Is it a ball bearing? It looks like it's going to be a really decent collectible.
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op

The wheels will be mounted to skateboard wheel bearings. Wheelies that do not have hubs will show the center bearing.

-Ride_Op
    • CommentAuthorBullero

Wait, so the wheels actually spin?! Awesome!
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2017

Update, so the CNC machine is working and has produced the trophy for 5HOP2 (and soon 3), but test cuts into a test material revealed a problem that will need another part ordered. In addition the wood round slices we ordered took some experimenting to figure out how to handle them without them cracking, experiments we're still undergoing. Still, we shall not be defeated, and Wheelies will eventually happen!

-Ride_Op
    •  
      CommentAuthorRickPlays
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2017

Wow, two months have passed. Are there some news about the production?
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2017

Other than this and this, nope, no news.

-Ride_Op
    • CommentAuthornSeven
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2017

Bahaha, he's saucy!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRickPlays
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2017 edited

Oops, didn't saw that! Please don't hit me.... :(