Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2016 edited

Per JetstreamCoasters comment in "The What did you just do in NL2?" thread, here is a brief guide on how to prepare exported NL2 data for import into FVD++. This is one of probably many ways to do it, and probably could be automated fairly easily with a script, but since that's beyond my skillset, here goes. Note that a Professional license of NL2 is necessary for this to work, as it uses the "export track spline" feature:

1) Fire up the NL2 editor

2) Navigate to the "Coaster" tab, and select the coaster in your park that you want to import/export from the dropdown list.

3) Navigate to the "Professional" tab, and click "Export Track Spline"

4) Choose how you want to export the track/heartline data. Note that FVD++'s import does not seem to be able to factor in roll rate, so you're just going to end up with a line that represents either the Center of the Rails or the "Editor Spline" (/heartline). Note also that FVD++ just draws straight lines between the points that you export, so you want the resolution to be fine enough that what you end up with looks like a smooth curve, rather than a series of jagged straight pieces. 0.1m is fine for most purposes.

Click OK, and save the resulting text/CSV file somewhere you'll be able to find - what you're left with is a tab-delimited .CSV file which contains the X, Y, and Z position of all points along your track spline, plus some other information that we'll need to strip out.

5) Fire up a spreadsheet editor and take a look at the data - I'll be using Microsoft Excel to illustrate, but we're not doing brain surgery here - this should translate to Google Sheets or whatever the Mac equivalent is just fine. To do that, open Excel, and from either the Open File dialogue or the "Data -> Get External Data -> From Text" menu in the ribbon, select and import the CSV.

Your file is tab-delimited, so leave these options as-is:

Click next, select tab-delimited - this will auto-separate the fields into their own columns:

We only care about the "PosX" "PosY" and "PosZ" columns. If you're using Excel, at this step you can select the other columns and mark them "Do not import column (skip)" as I've done in the example, or you can import everything and delete the extraneous columns then.

6) Now you should have a spreadsheet with three columns labeled PosX, PosY, and PosZ. To get FVD++ to accept them, we need to create a text document in the format [space][space][line break]. Two problems to solve before we get there, both stemming from the fact that FVD++ and NL2 use different conventions for indicating position:

First, what NL2 considers the Z direction, FVD++ considers Y (and vice versa).
    Second, after you handle that problem, the import you'll get in FVD++ is going to be mirrored, so you have to invert the Y (as FVD++ considers it, anyway) values to have it import correctly.

To resolve this: create a fourth column that is simply your "PosZ" column multiplied by -1.

Convert your PosZ column to "values" however you care to (e.g. copy -> paste special -> values), delete your "PosZ" column, and rearrange your columns so that your "NewPosZ" column is second, and your "PosY" column is third:

Finally, delete the row containing your column titles, so that Cell A1 contains the X position of your first data point.

7) Select everything and copy it. Open a text editor with a Find/Replace feature (e.g. Notepad). Paste your data:

You'll notice that your values are still tab-delimited - we need to convert the tabs to single spaces. So, use your cursor to select a "tab" - select a blank space between the values and hit CTRL-C. Go to your find-replace feature (in Notepad, this is Edit -> Replace or just hit CTRL-H).

Put your cursor in the "Find what:" field and paste your copied blank "tab".
    In the "Replace with:" field, type a single space.

Click replace all, and your file should look like this:

Your file is now formatted appropriately for FVD++ import. Save the file wherever you'd like as a .txt file.

...continued...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2016

...continued...

8) Open FVD++. In the Project tab, click "Add...", then select "Import from Pointlist."

Find the .txt file you just saved and open it.

FVD++ will import your pointlist, and draw in a "track" along the heartline (or whatever path you chose to export from NL2):

The "track" it draws in is meaningless, so I usually then go to Properties, and change "Draw..." to "Heartline only". You may also need to manipulate your starting position, which you can do by selecting the imported track, clicking "Edit" and then modifying the position/orientation of the anchor point.

Done!
    Does this make it theoretically possible to downgrade tracks to nl1?
    Awesome! I'll try this out when I get home from work :) Thanks so much!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2016

^^Hadn't thought about that, but it doesn't seem to work for me. Like, if I export the spline of the imported NL2 track from FVD++ as a .nlelem, nothing actually appears when you try to insert it in the NL1 editor.

My use case for this was basically: "I have an NL2 handbuilt track that's like... 90% good, and I want to use it as a guide for redoing the layout in FVD++." I'm not sure what other uses one might have, but, hey, here it is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZergei

^^^ if this is possible, we could bring back custom track styles!
    •  
      CommentAuthorgeforcefan

Or hang on guys, I will commit my recent code, which gives the ability to import NL2 CSV directly in FVD++...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2016 edited

Ha! Quick, someone else use this method before it's obsolete! I figured that if this was actually useful to other people, it'd be a matter of days before someone took this and automated it somehow.
    •  
      CommentAuthorintim305
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2016

if you CAN downgrade back to nl1, I may have to update my custom track styles pack!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2016

I tried it, didn't work. Perhaps geforcefan may be able to shed more light on why that is, but at present it doesn't seem like it works.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgeforcefan
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2016 edited

In fact I´ve commited the nl2 csv importer part to the openFVD repository, but didn´t had any time to deploy it:

https://github.com/altlenny/openFVD

In the next days, I am gonna release a little script for NL2 to archive the same export functionality which NL2 Pro offers without needing the pro version.
    In addition I have started to code custom track styles for fvd++ which I think Ive showed here on NLE long time ago. But I don´t know whether it makes any sense or not to have the abbility creating custom styles in fvd++ (with export functions). I think its easier to create detailed custom tracks in c4d, blender, etc.

Posted By: BBSpeed26Hadn't thought about that, but it doesn't seem to work for me. Like, if I export the spline of the imported NL2 track from FVD++ as a .nlelem, nothing actually appears when you try to insert it in the NL1 editor.

This will work with the nl2 csv importer in fvd++. I just tested it. So Downgrading is theoretically possible.

edit: OSX version is deployed: https://github.com/altlenny/openFVD/tree/master/bin
    •  
      CommentAuthorgeforcefan
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2016

Ive deployed also the win64 version. Please give me a feedback whether its working or not since its my fist deployment on win64:

https://github.com/altlenny/openFVD/tree/master/bin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26

Won't start for me.

I get a "this app can't run on your PC, to find a version for your PC, check with the software publisher" error. Win 10 x64.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgeforcefan

^ Is there any error detail provided?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2016 edited

Nope. Thanks, Windows 10. I don't suppose there's a way to make it generate a log or something?

•  
      CommentAuthorgeforcefan

^ Okay, let me check this on win10...
    •  
      CommentAuthorgeforcefan
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2016 edited

^^Ive tried it on win 10, its working... just a dumb question: did you downloaded glew32.dll and placed it in the root path of fvd.exe?

•  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2016

Yep. Redownloaded it and it worked though. May have been user error on my end somehow... I noticed when I redownloaded that the FVD.exe had its correct icon, and it didn't when I first downloaded it. Not sure why that would be, but seems to be all good now.