Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorgeforcefan
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2016 edited

Hello guys,

for my professional work, I am getting started in xamarin for developing multiplatform apps in c#. To learn the best practices, its better starting an actual project instead of some test cases. So I did started MobileFVD for personal purposes. It was nothing serious, I just wanted to see how xamarin works, how easy and flexible the framework was for developing apps with special requirements (opengl view, native ui stuff, custom ui stuff, networking, databases, etc.).

The project turned into a serious direction so I wanted to know, what you guys think about it. Does MobileFVD for tablets and for smart phones makes any sense? Is there an actual use for this? If so, I want you guy being involved in the UI desiging procces, since its difficult making a good UI for mobile devices, especially for smart phones. Most of the core stuff is developed. You should know, the core is from openFVD developed by altlenny. So the results are not different from openFVD (fvd++).

You can also suggest special needs, useful stuff (maybe network building with other user?)

Here are some screenshots and videos (notice, that I am using the iOS simulator, which has a poor perfomance):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9hKQ56q4fo

Feel free to join this project:

https://github.com/geforcefan/MobileFVD

What do you think guys?

- Ercan
    •  
      CommentAuthorZergei
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2016

Absolutely, I would love to use this in my free time or when I'm on vacation to play around and design some tracks! You have my support! :D
    • CommentAuthorBullero

Now we can design coasters while waiting in line for coasters. This makes complete sense!
    •  
      CommentAuthordapalm

Oh my god yes!!! Would be fantastic... I'll think about the UI, it's the most important part if you want to use it on touch screen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHLcoasters

This is the thing i was always thinking about and never knew how to do it, i think the idea is Great and awesome if u have an idea you just Not want to imagine but also See if the idea Works out
    I cant watch the Video (listed privat)
    •  
      CommentAuthorgeforcefan

^Oh that was my mistake... I should have turned that video unlisted and not private lol. Fixed now...
    • CommentAuthorTheBeatles

Please excuse my lack of physics knowledge:

Would it theoretically be possible to take accelerometer data from your phone to create an FVD track? i.e. ride a roller coaster and step off with a recreation in your pocket
    ^ I don't think it would take roll into account.
    • CommentAuthorMr. E

^^Somebody did this already long ago so it theoretically possible, I think.

^ roll could me manually added if it had to w/ roll graphs and even if that didn't work it would still be a cool idea.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHLcoasters

U asked for ideas and such, so here is my Input
    -it is still looking very time consumimg because of fvd
    So i think a nl2 like Editor would be easier to handle with an snap Option. So u can just Set some vertices on mainly 2d viwes and could Control them in an 3d Perspective, just like nl2
    -but because u used the Code of fvd it wont happen so easily
    -just my opinion
    -still an awesome possibility to work on ideas while Not having a PC or Laptop with u
    So please Keep Working on this Project and hopefully Release it soon
    HLcoasters
    • CommentAuthorrobdcx

I would definitely use this. Sweet!
    •  
      CommentAuthorZergei

Posted By: TheBeatlesWould it theoretically be possible to take accelerometer data from your phone to create an FVD track? i.e. ride a roller coaster and step off with a recreation in your pocket

If you can make this work, PLEASE make this work, you could recreate a coaster so much faster xD
    • CommentAuthorA113

Really great idea, I think it's worth pursuing. Designing on the go may even have some professional benefit.
    ^^That wouldn't really be possible, since there are infinitley many ways that G force could be experienced, how does it differentiate between a zero g roll and an Airtime hill?
    •  
      CommentAuthorgeforcefan

^ Its possible to import the curves of lat, normal forces from an accelerometer instead of creating these curves by yourself... this approach is wrong, but I see other difficulties for this plan...
    • CommentAuthorMr. E
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2016 edited

On page 53 of the What you just did in NL thread, andreizsmart did something with the accelerometer data and Exel to get a recreation in FVD of El Toro.

Posted By: andreizsmartSo, I don't recommend anyone trying this, but I recorded the accelerometer data from my phone after riding El Toro during my trip to Six Flags Great Adventure this past week. I took the data into excel and smoothed the data a little to remove some of the noise. From there I went into FVD++ and damn, I'm getting some really accurate results for a recreation. There are still a few things to tweak with this method (one of them being a safer and more accurate way to record the data) but it's a great reference for studying the dynamics of a ride. I might release the excel file if anyone is interested. The data I took was from the back seat of the train, not the center.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2016 edited

I don't think that a pure standalone MobileFVD makes really sense, of course it would be funny to use it also on one of these small computers in my pocket occasionally (I guess that this would happen really seldom) but I think having a MobileFVD that communicates with the Desktop FVD could be really useful.
    I think of features like showing and manipulating the force curves via the mobile device where the multi touch capabilities would probably give a faster workflow than just using the mouse. And / Or maybe using the smartphone to have a VR view of the track could also be actually useful.
    I doubt I'd use it on a phone much, but I'm not the "mobile gamer" type who uses their phone for big apps like this. A tablet however makes a lot of sense for me, so that alone could be worth it for you to try this out. If it helps, feel free to charge a dollar or something - I don't think many of us would mind spending money on a specialized piece of kit like this. It may help you to have some financial motivation, even if it's tiny.

Still interested in that WebFVD idea you presented to us a while back though... ;) This is probably asking too much, but if you ever did complete the WebFVD project, you could even look at rolling some of those multiplayer features into the mobile platforms as well.

There's definitely many paths you could take with FVD. So far you're the only one who's shown the interest and knowledge to tackle it, so anything you put out is gonna be better than nothing!
    I would use the shi* out of this app :D.
    Could easly pay some for this.
    I would use it all the time! If this could possibly work, it would be amazing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgeforcefan
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2016

^^ Thats why I was asking whether MobileFVD makes sense or not... Like mentioned, this project was started, because I had to proof some concepts of xamarin.forms for my professional work. Maybe WebFVD makes more sense, and I could focus more on that project. But WebFVD has major performance problems when it comes to the calculation of sections. JavaScript is not that fast as C# or C++. Maybe I have to optimize the code for JavaScript.

For people never seen WebFVD before:

•  
      CommentAuthorPearman

This is a great idea! The only thing that makes me don't like this is the fact that lots of phones don't have a realy big touchscreen, so there would be the only thing where I would say that this is not that great. Nevertheless it woukd be very useful for bigger smartphones and tablets. And since I'm studying I can't use my computer very often, so this would be an option for me to work when I'm not at home.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZergei

^^ I'd be interested if you had that available :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMattCamMans
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2016 edited

I would really argue that it doesn't make much practical sense to have an FVD app other than for a 'fun' thing (because we are all sad like that). At the end of the day the purpose of the application is to export the spine for use with NL2. Now unless you made the mobile app connect with your desktop version (so you can continue where you left off so to speak), it would be annoying to export a file on your phone then have to transfer it manually to your computer. Do you get me?
    As for the web version, surely if you are using a web browser, why not have just opened up the existing desktop application? Again not to mention the processing abilities (as you mentioned) of a web application vs desktop.

I'm commenting from an analysts point of view though, yet obviously as an idea for learning xamarin framework its a cool project.
    • CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2016 edited

I believe the idea of WebFVD is that it was going to be multiplayer so you could collab on a coaster at the same time.
    I saw the vid for mobile fvd and it looked really cool, although I don't have an iPhone :/

Posted By: geforcefan^^ Thats why I was asking whether MobileFVD makes sense or not... Like mentioned, this project was started, because I had to proof some concepts of xamarin.forms for my professional work. Maybe WebFVD makes more sense, and I could focus more on that project. But WebFVD has major performance problems when it comes to the calculation of sections. JavaScript is not that fast as C# or C++. Maybe I have to optimize the code for JavaScript.
    I wouldn't mind looking to see if I could make some optimizations for WebFVD, I lost the original stuff that you sent me though lol, if you want just whisper to me on here :]

Posted By: JAKoolI believe the idea of WebFVD is that it was going to be multiplayer so you could collab on a coaster at the same time.
    That was the idea, although now I think that'd be much harder than I thought lmao, it would be a project in itself, maybe something in the very far future

I guess since the beans are sort of spelt I can go ahead and say, but originally geforce was working on webfvd and it was going to be integrated with nlc along with real time editing and what not. That feature definitely won't make it into the nlc for a bit though, obviously, as it would take way too long to actually integrate the real time editing, also webfvd isn't done (as far as I know)