Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Red Vekoma
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2017

Announcing the prize for Roundup 200....Wheelies! See the latest production photos on Facebook. They're too cool not to keep going and make another batch!

Roundup 250 will have a new prize and we already know what it will be. Sorry for the delays, but they are totally worth it!

-Ride_Op
    • CommentAuthornSeven

Having gotten my Loopy - I can confirm the level of craftsmanship is worth the wait. These are not little league participation awards....haha.
    Definitely am planning on finally finishing up a project for Roundup 250. Good luck to all those who have entered I cant wait to see what made the list this year!
    •  
      CommentAuthorJAMMYD778

@nSeven: I very much agree!

Those participating really are in for a treat if you are blessed with a Wheelie! Certainly something to treasure!

Sadly, due to other commitments, I have had to sit this one out (most of the year for NL2 actually). I hope to get back into projects in the new year!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNemesisRider
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2017 edited

What's the submission count at? Just under 12 hours left by my count...

EDIT: bit off topic but I think it'd be a bit unfair if only 5 people got prizes. Even if entries are low, it's a bit harsh to change the boundaries once majority have submitted.
    • CommentAuthorBullero
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2017 edited

Unfortunately, I will not be submitting my project for RU200. It is in a somewhat show-able state I guess, but I am certainly not happy with the end result yet. Therefore, I would like to take the time to actually finish it properly... Good luck to all contestants: Can't wait to see the amazing projects that are submitted!

@ride_op: The Wheelies look amazing! Great work!
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2017

2 hours left!

-Ride_Op
    •  
      CommentAuthorcheetah

I will not beable to enter roundup 200 due to alot of real life issues popping up, sorry ride_op! I cant wait to see the quality stuff that does get entered, though.
    • CommentAuthorBlaseRhine
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2017 edited

Trying to throw something together for the hell of it... Hopefully I can make it in time!

edit: The videos are taking way to long to export... at this rate I wont be able to upload in time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op

Well if you at least have a YouTube video link you can fill out the form in time, even if the video is still uploading and processing.

-Ride_Op
    No link yet. The video is currently compressing... been doing so for a little over a hour now so going off that It wont be before the deadline.
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op

18 entrants total. We'll evaluate and post the results on Wednesday.

-Ride_Op
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo

That's not that many this time :O
    •  
      CommentAuthorRickPlays

Wow, that's really surprising. I thought there were much more entries...
    Good luck to all the contestants!! I'll shoot for a R250 entry.
    • CommentAuthornSeven

It might be time to think about a new incentivizing strategy. I can only assume the major Roundups experienced this idea of "spectacle creep" where each major competition before it has upped the bar so much that is has caused a barrier of entry for people.

At least that was my thought when coming up with a project - I know I can make amazing videos, but my commitment to a project isn't gonna be in the Mr. Magnussens' or Hystereo arena. It's much less spectacular and it's such a time sink that if I don't feel my idea has a chance, I just won't continue with it.

I can imagine a lot of people feel the same way, haha.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHLcoasters

^ that was my problem too. i never even tried to make a entry just because i dont have the hardware or knowledge to make videos which would be good enough. it was always a competition i really enjoyed but for me its too much about the video and not only the coaster.

good luck to all who made a entry !
    ^^ I think you've got a point there - after R150 people joked about needing to go to film school for R200, and the quality of R150 could have put people off entering. I think there's also an element of timing and people just being a fraction too unprepared to submit this time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op

To some extent, yes. However, Terror Tracks did not become the minimum bar to clear to get 10th place in the Roundup. There are plenty of really solid coasters with really good scenery with a good video that won Wheelies. There was a lot of - we'll say concern - when the 10th place coaster last year didn't have 100% perfect supports or trackwork. There is always a curve for these big roundups where the judging is based on the collection of what was submitted.

-Ride_Op
    Posted By: ride_opTerror Tracks did not become the minimum bar to clear to get 10th place in the Roundup

This is pretty much true in the case of the video submission I did. We were looking at roundup entrys like lazarus, the spirit of malbun and nighthawk for the sort of "standard" we wanted to shoot for on our video. we didnt aim to make something on the level of terror tracks, but to try and make something with its own identity and hope our ideas blended well into what was eventually created
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani

Mainly the rule changes prevented me from even thinking about submitting something for this year, since I have not started anything new yet.
    ^ I do think that rule did kill off a lot of entrys
    • CommentAuthornSeven

I thought that was always a rule!

Oh wells...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrBassdirt

Perhaps allowing collaborations would also help people overcome the time-investment-threshold. Im all about people submitting videos of their own work, but if the issue arises where there just arent enough entries, working as a team may help produce more videos.
    (Collaboration =/= 1 person makes the ride and 1 person films it).
    Posted By: MrBassdirtPerhaps allowing collaborations would also help people overcome the time-investment-threshold. Im all about people submitting videos of their own work, but if the issue arises where there just arent enough entries, working as a team may help produce more videos

They are definitely allowed, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to enter at all...

(I checked with ride_op about it a month or so back)
    • CommentAuthorTheBeatles

^
    Posted By: MrBassdirt(Collaboration =/= 1 person makes the ride and 1 person films it).

Aren't collabs allowed?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

They are allowed, but the issue comes when you win and have to awkwardly figure out who really deserves the prize in your collaboration.
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op

The one thing we want to avoid is someone downloading Terra and making a video out of it. Since the contest is looking at quality of the coasters, quality of the scenery, and quality of the video, downloading someone else's park and making a video out of it means your contribution was only 1/3 of what we're judging. The rule is in place to ensure that you (and the people who are helping you) are working on your own work, so the end result is something that you contributed for all 3 aspects of what we are judging.

-Ride_Op
    yea our entry was made as a team with equal input, and we all put our fair share of work into each category (including the video aspect)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrBassdirt

^ Oh gotcha. Well thats good then! Nevermind. Yeah I understand the motivation behind the rule and I agree.
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2017 edited

What a joke of a roundup. Number 9 (Crowne Point) obviously used sketchup warehouse models without crediting (we have screencaps in case he tries to change the description), Number 8 (IT) was submitted as round 2 for the NLT, and a video of Number 5 (Blue Fire) had been posted a year ago.

IT in the NLT:

Video of Blue Fire from a year ago: https://youtu.be/QFKi1hJ4K64. (Once again we have screencaps in case he tries taking it down)
    https://gyazo.com/ee14a33c57a156997ed1dbee866c043b

Thanks so much for giving us 3rd place!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRickPlays
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2017

^^ please stop! That's just unnecessary!

This was a super satisfying image to make. :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op

Where was your video Paradox? If you think you can make a better video, please do, and submit it for 250. We honored those who submitted for 200.

Blue Fire and IT both have a lot more scenery in the videos submitted for Roundup 200.

-Ride_Op
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2017 edited

Sorry that came off as aggressive I really did not mean it that way. However, I am upset with the overuse of warehouse models without any credit given at all. It ends up giving the project and the creator too much credit since most people would not notice those assets.

Also regarding IT:

It is in clear violation of this rule (At least to me and some others)

•  
      CommentAuthorride_op

Looking at the screen of what was submitted for the tournament, clearly more was added as there are theme elements and buildings added. The rule was added in response to Jet Ski from last year that was unchanged from when it was originally released a long time prior. While in the gray area, we had 18 submissions to choose from, and we made our decisions.

We encourage everyone who is saying "OMG, THAT got in???" to submit something for Roundup 250. We can only evaluate and award prizes to the submissions we receive. We did so for what we received.

-Ride_Op
    •  
      CommentAuthorRCF

I think the issue is that people saw some of the entries from prior years and decided that they can't compete with that, and didn't enter at all. That's why I think there is a lack of entries in general and entries that could have made top 10 but not top 3 weren't entered.
    The top spot so deserved the win. I wish I would have had something to submit but the project that I started right after last years contest meant for this contest turned into something more than just a NL project but a project that features NL. Congrats to all the winners! I plan on R 250 hopefully I have something good for it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op

For those who need the link:

Roundup 200

-Ride_Op
    Will we be choosing wheelies soon?
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op

First email was just sent out! As each selection is made, the next person on the list gets to choose from the remaining designs.

-Ride_Op
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2017

Alex Tanner (Mr. B) has chosen the Schwarzkopf Wheelie!

-Ride_Op
    • CommentAuthornSeven
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2017

Whoa.

My goosebumps have goosebumps. Alex......damn man...I couldn't imagine anything so beautiful.

Also, no disrespect to 150, but I really enjoyed 200 much more - it was a cinematic buffet of incredible work. Every video was not lacking at all.

Congratulations to you incredible people!!
    I'll take that as a personal attack and am thusly ending my friendship with you.

Goodbye Michael N. Seven, twas a sweet relationship with a bitter end.
    • CommentAuthornSeven
    • CommentTime7 days ago

hahahaha, I didn't mean it like that bby. But CMON - Strathmore has you beat son...
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op
    • CommentTime7 days ago

The Creative Studio has chosen the 4D Wheelie!

-Ride_Op
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTime7 days ago

Overall I think this year was the worst of the 3 years. The overal quality of the rides just didn't impress me as much as the previous years. Cinematic wise this year however was beter than previous years and I am quite sure Alex would have won both previous contests with his work. Cinematics and ride were perfect. Shame to see so few entries (I'm also responsible for starting to late, or lacking inspiration to start earlier), I really hope that next time will be better in terms of number, 18 is a bit on the low side :(.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani
    • CommentTime7 days ago edited

I really liked that special roundup, quantity does not matter, I think these entries were of the same quality as the previous ones. I would also have personally changed the ranking a little bit, but in the end it's always a matter of taste.

I also don't think that there's anything wrong with using warehouse objects, that look good and fit to the project.

Off topic:
    Posted By: ride_opThe rule was added in response to Jet Ski from last year that was unchanged from when it was originally released a long time prior.

Woot? ;-) Not even visible are all the under the hood changes and added details, fun fact: v1 was probably made in about half the time it took to change it to v2. But don't worry, I think I understood what you hopefully meant and what the intention of that rule is ;-).