Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorPopFilms
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2017

Hey everyone. Kind of new here. If you ever go on r/rollercoasters you might recognize my username. I've had NL2 for a lonnnnnngggggg time but I never really learned how to build. So I decided I would actually learn the software and build something!

This is an Intamin hyper I'm building, inspired a lot by one of my favorite coasters, Superman The Ride at Six Flags New England.

And this is this tiny little woodie I built.

All constructive criticism is welcome! I have absolutely NO idea what I am doing.

Thanks everyone!
    •  
      CommentAuthorKG9

You are off to a good start! Honestly, even if you have no idea what you are doing, if you keep up with it and practice it will help you. Watch POVs of real-life rides over and over to get the feel of the tracks and then work from there. It will come with time!
    • CommentAuthorPopFilms

Thanks! While building the Intamin I'm watching a superman pov on repeat.
    •  
      CommentAuthorintim305
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2017 edited

https://gyazo.com/63cab50156d29b7e03ce0f172103f486
    please.

also welcome to the forums!

as for some hopefully constructive criticism:
    when building rides, try not to let the grid define your rides, I know its super easy to build just on the grid with the side views, but it ends up leaving the ride looking like a tic-tac-toe board. For the out and back woodie, try using the rotate tool to get the return trip right up next to the other track to make the footprint smaller, since that's definitely something that parks value highly (even B&M hypers are fairly compact as far as their footprint) It's an easy beginner mistake that I made myself and see all the time, as long as you watch out for it your rides will instantly get more realistic
    • CommentAuthorPopFilms

^Now that I think about that, it makes total sense. If I think about rides like Nitro, Magnum XL... they do that. Thanks for the advice!
    • CommentAuthorPopFilms

Had an idea for a big woodie... so that's what I'm gonna do.
    • CommentAuthorPopFilms
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2017

Work on the hyper is crawling along.

That looks pretty nice but try to make the hills on the return run closer to the first lift and first hill.. just enough space for the square support boxes to line up with each other
    • CommentAuthorPopFilms
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2017 edited

Thanks to JAKool, my park's newest coaster is a Vekoma Boomerang called Mind Eraser!

• CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2017

You forgot to color the loop catwalk! Nice colors otherwise!
    • CommentAuthorPopFilms
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2017

Yep, I just fixed that. Cycled it a few times and it works beautifully. Great work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBattin
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2017

Maybe it's the angle of the picture, but the lifthill and return-hill (let's call it that for now) seems off. Are you using strict nodes/banking thingies?
    • CommentAuthorPopFilms
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2017

^It's the angle of the picture. I am using strict nodes and strict rolls, and while the shaping isn't perfect, when I get back to my computer I'll take better screenshots.
    • CommentAuthorPopFilms
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2017 edited

Well I finished my first big coaster, Goliath! Here is a video (just recorded it with NL2 and didn't edit it) testing the onboard audio track I made for the ride!

Clicky
    I believe you have a lot of potential man! I did enjoy your POV of the hyper. That first drop was pretty intense!
    Here's something I have noticed in your layout:
    The layout seems a bit drawn out, even for a hyper roller coaster. The turn around bit was fine(Pretty good even) but everywhere else seems a bit too stretched, condense it a bit and it'll be fine
    Please do keep up the work! Im liking your progress so far and would love to see some more projects from you! :)
    • CommentAuthorPopFilms
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2017

^Yeah I think it goes way to slow at the end. The coasters I'm modeling it after (Superman Ride of Steel and Superman the Ride) go way faster in their second half.
    Your hyper coaster has a good layout it just needs to not be as drawn out as it is. Good progress though.
    • CommentAuthorPopFilms
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2017

Currently working on a NoLimits 2 video for my YouTube channel ThrillSource.

The video should be out very soon. I didn't do the basic trackwork for this coaster, I just improved it a lot for someone else plus I am doing a video for it.

It's supposed to be a prediction for what Dorney Park might do in a few years.
    ^ I like the name!
    • CommentAuthorPopFilms
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2017

Well the video is now out. Clicky.

I'm not that happy with it but the original designer used NL1 so I think it is a big improvement from what I got to work with.