Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTheBeatles
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2017 edited

Seaport Summit is a side project. While I work on my next themed attraction (more to come), I figured I'd pursue another idea that's been rattling in my brain for a couple of years. The tone I want to set for this park is somewhere between Belmont Park, Knott's Berry Farm, and Boomers. A family fun center on steroids. I've begun working on the park's centerpiece, which quite obviously began as a recreation of Xcelerator. Using Arofly's Nolimits model as a base, I removed the brake runs from the original Xcelerator layout and extended the ride, effectively doubling the length of the layout. My main reasoning behind the extension is to add some pathway interaction, and use up some of the wasted potential energy that the Knott's Berry Farm model has.

Here you can see the point where I've decided to swoop off of the original layout into my own ideas.

Most of the park's attractions will be behind the coaster's top hat and overbanks, bordered by steep cliffs into the ocean. More to come tomorrow!

Also Terror Tracks won't be released because the lighting update broke it, and at this point I'd rather look to the future.
    This looks really great so far, but thats no surprise!

I've always thought that Xcelerator should have been built a little bit longer. Excited to see how this will come out.

• CommentTimeJan 18th 2017

Hey everybody, back with another update on the slow-moving Seaport Summit.

For the park entrance, I'm using the architectural elements of the Hotel Del Coronado and Seaport Village in San Diego. Expect some more of those styles throughout the park.

My main focus with this park is to practice sightlines. I want this park to look beautiful from EVERY visible angle, and I feel I'm off to a solid start with that. Of course, the centerpiece for the park is the Intamin accelerator coaster, but I intend to make a few other weenies for the park that will be nice and eye-catching.

The back of the park will be lined with cliffs, dropping down to the ocean. Of course they're still in a very basic form right now, but I promise things will look significantly less flat in the coming updates.

Lastly, here's an overview of my current "master plan". It doesn't include restaurants and other decorative buildings, but don't worry, those will all be there in teh final release.

Stay tuned!
    • CommentAuthorBullero
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2017

It will be interesting to see this park develop over time. Are the go karts driveable within NoLimits? That would be awesome!
    •  
      CommentAuthorZergei
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2017

+1 for go karts by Patrick
    Wonder what the indoor attraction could be?
    • CommentAuthorkryptos001
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2017 edited

Can the small ride be a Carousel? I think NL2 needs a good old-fashioned Carousel.

Also, what if instead of an indoor attraction that blocks part of the cliffs, you make a nice sit-down restaurant with an outdoor section overlooking the cliffs (complete with umbrellas and fancy fencing). Then tuck away your indoor attraction further inland.
    maybe you could have a water ride that splashes down into the bay?

Replies

@Bullero: Ideally, yes. That'll come down to scripting limitations, though. Patrick seems to think it'd be possible somehow, though.
    @kryptos001: I don't seem why the "small" attraction couldn't be a carousel, but that'd be a pretty complex model to make. We'll see. In regards to the indoor attraction building, I don't think I properly communicated my initial idea. The "attraction" doesn't necessarily mean a ride. Worry not, though, as you see below, the building will have a very nice view.

Update

I hope you didn't think this project was dead because of The [OMITTED] Misadventures of Cherry Bomb being announced. This park will still be worked on, as I mentioned it's a side project, with Cherry Bomb being my main focus. So I understand how small this update is, but I feel it's important to show you where my work has been over the past view days.

Here's the main building, which will house a restaurant and another attraction, which has yet to be determined. For some reason I'm thinking it'd be cool to have a small Mack launched coaster or custom Vekoma roller skater exiting out the side of the building, but we'll see. In terms of design, well, I'm no architect, so forgive me. The structure will have lots of glass to provide fantastic views of the bay, including a "basement" of the restaurant (which you can see in the 3rd picture) which will have an entirely glass wall to look over the bay.

What do you guys think of the design? Taking into account my vision for the park (see above posts), what do you think could be done better or differently? Any ideas for the potential roller coaster using the building as a station?

Let me know.
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2017

Update

After the giant barrage of criticism from the last update, I decided was time to insert a few more attractions. First, and most prominently, I added a self-dueling Mack launched coaster. To accomplish this, I made a crude mock layout for JAKool, who then created the final layout and all of the final trackwork.

This is a good time to mention that I want this coaster to be nearly invisible from most of the park. You'll notice that most of the large maneuvers are quite hidden from the main pathways, and the main building. I figured this would be a fun challenge to add a megacoaster whilst not obstructing any existing sightlines. Lucky for me, JAKool pulled it off wonderfully!

Additionally, I've added a glass floor to the plaza in front of the main building, allowing guests to walk over the track and stare down directly over the riders!

Of course, all of the scenery you see here is still in its infancy. I'm just trying to get a general idea of what everything will look like before going in and adding the small details. Here is the park in its current state, you can see here that I've also taken it upon myself to draft the layout for my Go-Kart track! :D

ANY feedback?
    • CommentAuthorBlaseRhine

The glass flooring is an extremely clever idea. I definitely think you need to change up the ride lineup, as you have 2 launching coasters in a smaller set park, if you were not planning on it already. Other than that I absolutely love what you are going for and cant wait to see more!
    • CommentAuthorJAKool

That layout is amazing! The self-dueling is a stroke of genius!
    I'm kinda with Blase on this one... The Mack looks nice, but you've got two very similar coasters in a very small park. Both are launching, above-the-rail coasters that are geared towards extreme thrill seekers (I don't remember seeing a ton of young teenager kids on Xcelerator). I think a family spinner or even a wild mouse style ride would fit much better, something smaller in scale that could satisfy the whole family. Or maybe a smaller style GCI? Just some ideas :)
    • CommentAuthorkryptos001

If you want a thrill ride for a different demographic, a 50 ft tall GG woodie would be a great answer. As for the Mack, it sounds like a great idea for any other park, but they somewhat spoil the view of the cliffs (especially if you're going to implement that bridge you talked about awhile ago). I really liked your initial plan for the cliffside, so if you want to add more attractions to the park, I would recommend connecting the pavement around Xcelerator 2.0 and put more rides inland.

While we're on the topic of ride choices, remember Disney's theory behind their collection of rides. Not every ride needs to be an E-ticket attraction; a good mix of large and small rides really makes a park feel complete.
    • CommentAuthorJAKool

@Jetstream, the Mack is actually about the intensity level of Cheetah Hunt, so I'd definitely call it more of a family coaster. It looks intimidating but all the forces are fairly tame.

The Ride Lineup

I don't see an issue with two launched coasters as I live 15 minutes from Knott's Berry Farm, which has 3 launched coasters within a city block. However, I do agree that there needs to be a wide variety of thrill levels. The Intamin accelerator is the "thrillseeker" coaster, with intense forces from beginning to end. The Mack launched coaster is the family/tween coaster, meant to bring in the widest range of crowds. As JAKool mentioned, the forces are never too intense, and the layout is long and fulfilling.

In addition to the current 2 coasters, I do plan to add one more, most likely a Vekoma custom roller skater, similar to The Dragon at Legoland California. Also, we'll have the Go-Karts, and hopefully 2 or 3 flatrides to round everything out.

The View

As I've mentioned a few times in this thread, the whole purpose of the park is sightlines and viewpoints. Everything I do takes these concepts into account, including the addition of a giant Mack launched coaster.

The park is intended to be viewed at night, because that's when I feel it looks best. that said, the Mack coaster was designed to disappear almost entirely once the sun goes down, blending in and dancing in the shadows, rather than skyrocketing through the air like the Intamin coaster. Here's what I mean:

Additionally, I've created a few cutouts from the cliffs to accommodate the track:

And we have some fun waves to separate the final brakes, the first launch, and the third launch from each other:

That's all the progress I'll have for today, but it's been fun!
    •  
      CommentAuthorzampano

Very nice, all of it :)
    • CommentAuthorInkyz

The launch in the foreground of the last picture looks extremely short
    •  
      CommentAuthornolimiters

Definitely no E-stop possibility.
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2017

Replies

@Zampano: Thank you, sir!
    @Inkyz & nolimiters: Well, eh, technically uh, nah.

Update

More progress on the main plaza around the Mack megacoaster. As you can see, I'm attempting to hide as much of this coaster as possible from the public view. Once night falls, practically the entire coaster will be invisible, so as to preserve the beauty of the sea cliffs.
    I've also begun adding textures to the main building, so that I can start to get an idea of what the final product will look like. I've also begun to start planning out my foliage/planters, as well as some minor theming towards the coaster.

I'm really starting to enjoy this project! With each new addition, everything is slowly becoming closer and closer to what my vision for the park is. Keep in mind that the daytime shots are really just to provide clear views of my progress, however the park will still take place at night. Most of these pictures will be taken at night once lights are added
    • CommentAuthorrobdcx
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2017

Minor issue, but the palm trees look really weird and out of place with the other foliage you've chosen. It's throwing the whole setting off for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthordapalm

^ I agree with that. Replace the fir trees with differents one or just use the palms on planters on the plaza. Although I'm sure N7 can give you a better advice.

Everything else is looking awesome. It looks like an amazing layout, and I'm eager to see the POV!

I agree with both of you, however my main issue here is that I need small, yet bulky trees. Given the limited (sorry, Mike) selection of trees we have, it's hard to find trees that take up space, but not TOO much space, like the English Elms do. The fir trees are perfect for basically creating walls of foliage, which is important in this park.

Do any of you have other suggestions that could help solve this issue?
    •  
      CommentAuthordapalm

Save the English Elm as a separate object and scale it to your needs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2017 edited

You can alway resize an exciting tree to your needs.

EDIT: Ha, posted at the same time!

Well yes, but then comes the issue of color. I'm using the English Elms already, and accompanying them with simply smaller versions wouldn't look all that great
    use smaller versions of other trees?
    • CommentAuthorMr. E

The aspens could be sunk into the groung
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2017

Update

This is going to sound extremely selfish, and while I do value your opinions on things, I'm going to continue using the foliage I've been using so far. I feel that when everything is clumped up nice and thick, it looks pretty good.

In the meantime, work on The [OMITTED] Misadventures of Cherry Bomb has started to pick up, and I haven't been focusing so much on Seaport Summit. That being said, lots of foliage work is going on, and in the process I've added a lovely Troika flatride thanks to NoLimits 2 Advanced.

•  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2017

Oh my god you're so selfish.

Project looks great so far!
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2017 edited

That's nice for being made in Theme Park Studio.

(that's a joke, if you couldn't tell, as someone on Facebook thought it was TPS)
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2017

Update

In response to earlier criticisms of the park, I've added a custom Vekoma junior coaster in the style of Dragon at Legoland California. The goal here was to create a coaster that A) wasn't launched and B) was child-friendly, as opposed to the other two coasters. Of course, scenery and foliage will come shortly, I just wanted to show everyone the coaster before diving into that. It's also worth noting that I'll be working with TheCodeMaster to create custom trains that will fit the Vekoma style.