Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2017

I figured since we have a "cars" thread, why not start a thread about planes and aircraft. I also figured I'd stop clogging up the games thread with my aircraft pics and put them in their own space. Feel free to post whatever you'd like about planes and aircraft in general. (Including real world photos, FSX, X Plane, general discussion, etc.)

I'll kick things off with some more GTA V photos featuring the newly released Boeing 747-8i and 747-8f mods. I also picked up the Boeing C-17 Globemaster III as well to fly around.

I also had a little Airbus fun too. This shot was inspired by the real word shot below. Really shows how big the A380 is.

•  
      CommentAuthorHafizBazzi

I've recently purchased the PMDG 77L, with the 77W expansion, and PMDG 737NXG, along with the -700 and -600 expansion I'll post a screenshot of them loaded into FSX later, unfortunately all of my settings are at like zero since my graphics card is aging/dying, and its performance seems to be dropping with its age.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRobotnik

If more people come out as FSX owners, would it be worthwhile setting up a NL FS server for ourselves? I'm slowly learning how to man the ATC tower, and finally wrap my head around an ILS landing instead of asking the tower for a visual.

Also, obligitory beauty shots a past flight from Oslo to Longyearbyen:

...and a random Aeroflot A321:
    • CommentAuthorBigbad

This happened before it became okay to use phones while we're on the runway, so I didn't get any pictures.

There's a big Air Force base next to or integrated with the airport in Honolulu. Whatever the case is, there are military jets all over the place. We land and then make our way to the gate, passing by a row of eight F-16s and nine F-15s!

I passed by the row of planes again when I flew home, but we also taxied past a more modern plane. I couldn't tell if it was an F-22 or an F-35, but I've seen a stealth fighter in person, which is pretty cool.
    • CommentAuthorrct800

Great idea to open a plane thread! I recently started playing FSX and got a Saitek X56 Rhino HOTAS. I really like it so far! Although I really need to get more aircraft addons (so far I only have Aerosofts excellent airbus aircrafts).
    • CommentAuthorteejaysyke

I've played all the MSF games except X because I want to be able to run it fully maxed out eventually.

FS9 runs so well though and I had REX and all that added on. I've flown planes in real life and stuff too.

•  
      CommentAuthorbestdani
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2017 edited

Oh very cool, I love aviation, no big surprise then that I also used to fly virtually in the past up to the FS9. I also have the FSX steam version but I do not really have the time anymore to do this. But I'm also still following the flight sim scene passively from time to time and read or watch quite a lot about aviation.

I've found some screenshots on my PC:

Departing from GCRR for some touch and go training in FS9 with my PMDG 737-700

Some visual flying close to Freiburg in FSX around Steinwasen Park (VFR Germany).
    • CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2017

0/10 coaster shaping
    • CommentAuthorDelay

Well, the two rides there could've been named by me!
    • CommentAuthorJetPulse
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2017 edited

Definitely been into it the past, but like bestdani, I haven't had time lately to do much flying at all. I have FSX:SE and several add-on aircraft as well as a Logitech G940 flight control system. I used to fly with a virtual carrier wing back 6-9 years ago and spent TONS of hours practicing with them. I flew the IRIS F14 model, but was versed on almost all stock aircraft and the VRS super-hornet. I now have a good friend who owns a Piper Cub, so I get my flying fix every couple months when I go up with him and he let's me fly for about an hour.

I guess if someone wanted to arrange a little NLE get-together on FSX:SE, I'd at least try to join. I have a 2 month old kid though, so my reliability is pretty low at the moment. I hardly even have time to bust out NL2 as of late.
    • CommentAuthorDelay

Well, I don't have the Steam Edition of FSX. The way online mode works in the original 2006 version is to use the LAN mode to connect. If SE still has that feature, it should be possible to create a server anyone could fly on.
    • CommentAuthorWomp83

I guess i could post these here..

RC Concorde:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xNcHKE7TOc

RC Boeing 747-400:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akoJ2zBwX1o

I don't have any of these modern flight sim games, prob wouldn't run on my pc, lol. I don't really game on here much anyway, my PS4 is for that.
    However i do have Flight Simulator 98. Yeah. 1998. Used to play it a bit on our old, old computer.

Nice pics of the Globemaster, jpaufsc. How big is it compared to the in-game herc? And could you land the Globemaster on top of Mt Chilliad and post a pic for me? Thanks, lol..
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc

The Globemaster is a bit bigger than the default Titans, but I still can squeeze it into the same parking spot.

However, while making this comparison, I noticed how bad the default Titan is compared to the mod planes. So, I went ahead and replaced it with a mod C-130.

Another in flight with the Globemaster

Last but not least, here is your requested landing spot. I couldn't manage to do it legit without blowing up, so a little "magic" was employed.

• CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2017

^ When i made that post, i was almost going to say "and don't cheat by spawning one up there.." hahaha.
    I've landed the titan up there while playing online with some mates one time. One of them waited up there and watched me do it after i told him what i was going to do, lol. It wasn't easy, i destroyed a few titans in the process, and the successful one was a bit beat up in the end, but it is possible. I have faith in you. Approach it from the back path that comes off the road near where the weed farm is, and come in that way. That's what i did. Although from that shot, i have a feeling you may be in a similar spot to where i landed. Thanks for the pics.

Mt Chilliad seemed to be a hub for a lot of challenges myself and my mates would set for ourselves while playing GTA online. Get this to the top, get that to the top, land this on it, jump this off it and survive. I once drove the tractor up to the top. My friend followed me in his car all the way, you know, for moral support. I think one of us even air lifted a boat up there one time, to see how far we could 'pilot' the boat down the side before it all went wrong.
    • CommentAuthorDelay
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2017

^^what about stalling purposefully?
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2017 edited

Back again with another GTA V plane. This episode, the Boeing 727.

There are 25 liveries with this mod so if you have a requested airline, I might have it.
    ^^That business jet is wayyy too close. Lol #ATCproblems
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2017 edited

^ Ohhh yeah. The LSIA tower is always pulling stuff like that.

I almost forgot to show off the Embraer 1000E I picked up a while back.

Edit: Some FedEx DC 10-30F action.

•  
      CommentAuthorbestdani
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2017 edited

I decided to test the look and feel of the X-Plane 11 beta demo today.
    I really like it from these first impressions, version 11 feels very familiar when you are used to the MS FS and flying the demo planes was no problem with years flight sim experience.

Some screenshots, I think the loook is very good:

I've also tested the video recording function and I've uploaded a short video compilation of different angles doing some landing test of the 737-800:

Watch it on YouTube
    (The particle fx seem to be a bit buggy while recording videos.)

Edit:
    I did another test today, this time doing some crosswind landing tests - I really like how the physics feel much more alive compared to what I was used to by the Microsoft simulators back then.
    Now recorded using external recording software -> no particle bugs and sound but a bit lower fps:

Watch it on YouTube
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2017

Double posting because of this "on topic" painting ;-)
    • CommentAuthorDelay

Posted By: jpaufscI really like how the physics feel much more alive compared to what I was used to by the Microsoft simulators back then.
    But for 2006, the physics of FSX were great.
    Speaking of FSX: There seem to still be some people using it? Does anyone else still use default or freeware planes other than me?
    •  
      CommentAuthorlamewad

If you haven't followed AirForceProud95 on youtube yet about FSK, you really should. His videos are great a really funny. Also he has some actual pilot videos that are really entertaining. I feel like the love of planes and model trains go in line with the love of coasters!
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2017 edited

*Incoming picture dump*

A new model of the 767-300 was released for GTA V this weekend. That means, all the large Boeing jets now have a home in GTA V (except the 717). I also picked up the 707 as well to complete the collection. I've been wanting to do a Boeing line up for a while and now it's possible.

Once the A350 is released, an Airbus lineup will follow.

EDIT: I created an album of all my GTA V plane shots if anyone is interested.

A little bit of Qantas for Womp.

767-300

Boeing Lineup

Back to front: 707, 727, 737, 757

Back to fromt: 767, 787, 777, 747

One big happy family
    Is that a mod? The texturing on those planes are unreal.
    • CommentAuthorA113
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2017

i think it's as simple as a UV unwrap with heavy photoshop
    ^Thats how all texturing works at the end of the day, easier said than done. This picture in particular impressed me:

•  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc

^ They indeed are all mods. They all come from GTAVmods.com from a user called "SkylineGTRFreak" However, I believe most of the models are ported over from FSX, he does the work making them compatible in GTA.
    • CommentAuthorWomp83

Posted By: jpaufscA new model of the 767-300 was released for GTA V this weekend. That means, all the large Boeing jets now have a home in GTA V (except the 717). I also picked up the 707 as well to complete the collection. I've been wanting to do a Boeing line up for a while and now it's possible.

Once the A350 is released, an Airbus lineup will follow.

A little bit of Qantas for Womp.

That's old skool Qantas there. And i like the inclusion of the little Pratt & Whitney logos on the front of the engine cowling. That's not John Travolta's 707, is it? lol..
    Thanks jpaufsc.

Dani, how long did it take you to d'load the X-Plane 11 demo? I tried to d'load it recently, and it just kept slowing right down on me. And in the end it was telling me it would take about 8+ hours to d'load the thing which was going at a painfully slow speed. I have a good connection, so it should be going much quicker than it was. So i gave up, cause i had better things to do at the time.
    But i found out my brother has FSX gold edition, so i've installed that now. And i'm trying to get my head around it, lol. So far i've bounced a chopper off the ground multiple times, and managed a wobbly keyboard takeoff in a Cessna. Haven't done much else in it yet.
    • CommentAuthorDelay

But the textures are completely new. FSX usually creates very unclean looks when it comes to textures. They don't look very sharp and my attempts to make them more detailed (using GIMP) have also failed.

Also: If you are interested in the communication between tower and pilots, then check out sites like LiveATC.net. I find it very interesting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2017 edited

^ I do think he is updating the textures as well. It's really amazing work.

Speaking of mods, an A319-111 model was released a couple days ago as well. Naturally, I had to install it and grab some shots.

A319 front, companion A320 in the back.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2017 edited

Another Airbus update. The A300-600ST "Beluga" was released for GTA. Quite an interesting plane. The mod even has the fuselage load modeled.

That is a strange whale
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcth
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2017

I love flight simulators! I'm actually a P3D user and I'm currently a controller (Delivery and Ground) at EHAM (Amsterdam Airport Schiphol) on Vatsim. :)
    • CommentAuthorDelay

^To be honest, I'd be too afraid to talk to ATC in any game or even in RL. The fear of doing something wrong (saying something unnecessary, forgetting things like squawks or frequencies or just not knowing a "command" like "monitor [frequency]") is killing the fun for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcth

I've been flying on the network for over a year (December 2015) and a controller since September 2016. I've seen (or rather; heard) all kind of people on the frequencies and what I have learned:

- There are SO. MANY. PEOPLE. whom forget to set their squawk code. If you do it, you're not different from the rest. At the least you're average. Hell, even quite good, regular members forget to set their squawk. ATC can see your entered squawk code and will let you know if you forgot it.

- There are quite some 'below average' pilots. Controllers know they are there and adjust how they control the traffic. When controlling Ground, I sometimes wait to give someone his taxi clearance, because if he won't give way to the aircrafts I need him to, it can get quite busy.

- When traffic is calm, most (if not all) of the controllers are happy to help you out if needed.

- Vatsim offers quite a lot of free training for pilots (training for controllers is mandatory and each region has their own people to do the training).

At this time I have 250 hours of flying and 145 hours of controlling on the network and I still learn new things.

Stories of people's first time on the network: https://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5251
    My own experience: I accidentally connected to a busy event on my first flight. That was a scary experience, but worth it.