Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorI305
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2017 edited

This is my first project in NoLimits 2 and I wanted to create a ride that would dominate the skyline and appear intimidating to
    those down below. I plan to add scenery and possibly some surrounding flat rides. Here are some pictures of the ride so far:

You can probably tell that I was having a bit too much fun with the poster screenshot feature. There's still a lot of work to do,
    including a custom station, pathways, a queue, etc. Please keep in mind that everything you see is all a major work in progress
    and may change over time. As of right now, I'm satisfied with the layout and colors. I'd love to hear some feedback and/or advice!

This looks really good, the green on the rails and accented part of the spine is a little odd, but otherwise it looks really great
    DID.... WHAT... IT WAS CALLED VULTURE A MINUTE AGO I SWEAR TO GOD....
    • CommentAuthorTheBeatles
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2017

^I'm just glad the terrible font for Vulture was replaced. The new logo is much better
    • CommentAuthorI305
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2017 edited

^ Sorry guys I've been playing around with fonts, logos, and names. I think I've finally found one that I like. Thoughts?
    Yes, it looks great
    •  
      CommentAuthorKG9
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2017

I like it. I am always a sucker for a dive machine.
    • CommentAuthorI305
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2017 edited

The supports are progressing slowly...

I've taken the time to ensure that each rail connector is placed between weld spots on the track for that extra realism.
    I don't quite like that double Immelmann combo - it seems too Eurofighter-y for a Dive Coaster, plus due to air resistance in real life, that train would lose a crap ton of speed. That's why you only see one large element, an Immelmann, on large dive coasters before rising up, usually into a helix, which then goes into the brakes.
    ^^just to make life easier, anywhere you place a style separator, a track separation will appear. So hypothetically you could manually split up your entire track
    •  
      CommentAuthorzampano
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2017

I like the double Immelman. Also I would ignore the argument about the air resistance, cause NL2 does have it's own friction values etc. that are meant to get the train behavior as close to the real ones as possible, so if it works in NL2, it works in NL2 (and most likely even in reality). As long as there is nothing obviously wrong, why bother to think about the presumably tiny difference in air resistance? And what do you want to do about it? Add invisible magnetic brakes? Come on..
    Posted By: I305I've taken the time to ensure that each rail connector is placed between weld spots on the track for that extra realism.

You beautiful person.
    • CommentAuthorI305

Posted By: TheFlyerMan1I don't quite like that double Immelmann combo - it seems too Eurofighter-y for a Dive Coaster, plus due to air resistance in real life, that train would lose a crap ton of speed. That's why you only see one large element, an Immelmann, on large dive coasters before rising up, usually into a helix, which then goes into the brakes.

I don't believe that air resistance would play that big of a factor that you're describing it to be. The program has a realistic physics engine which leads me to think that it would be very possible.

Posted By: JetstreamCoasters^^just to make life easier, anywhere you place a style separator, a track separation will appear. So hypothetically you could manually split up your entire track

I wasn't concerned with splitting up the track, but rather having the supports placed in their proper places.

Posted By: zampanoI like the double Immelman. Also I would ignore the argument about the air resistance, cause NL2 does have it's own friction values etc. that are meant to get the train behavior as close to the real ones as possible, so if it works in NL2, it works in NL2 (and most likely even in reality). As long as there is nothing obviously wrong, why bother to think about the presumably tiny difference in air resistance? And what do you want to do about it? Add invisible magnetic brakes? Come on..

Thanks, and I agree with you about the air resistance point.

Posted By: element 115You beautiful person.

Thank you! I've seen other peoples' coasters have them placed directly on weld spots and thought to myself, "That doesn't look realistic." I wanted to ensure as much realism as possible, especially if it's something that can easily be fixed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

If you want extra realism, be sure that each piece of track as well as each piece of support fits into a 20ft x 8ft x 8.5ft space (the size of a standard container). It can be a bit bigger if the track isn't shipped from oversea, then it only has to fit on an open truck.

Alos, be sure that every bolts and nuts are accessible, which doesn't seem to be the case down here (but maybe that's the angle):

Next, you want to be sure the colors are from the RAL color standard.

-

Nah, I'm just kidding, and anyways I know you'll be going the extra mile already, like you did on your previous creations. Heck, I see you made some I-beam supports, which is a great detail!
    • CommentAuthorI305

Posted By: KingRCT3...be sure that every bolts and nuts are accessible, which doesn't seem to be the case down here (but maybe that's the angle)...

Heck, I see you made some I-beam supports, which is a great detail!

I'm glad someone noticed. There's also more room to access the nuts and bolts than what appears in that picture. I know you were only joking but I do take a lot of what you mentioned into account. :)
    Really? I was speaking with Harry Davies (a fellow enthusiast) and he had said that if there was no air, coasters will fall at the same rate. Try it with NL2. He had said that Baron 1898, which is a mini dive, loses quite a bit of its speed due to air resistance (look at the bottom of the open air half of the immelmann, compare to bottom of helix further on). This would also explain why SheiKra hits the MCBR so early on - if they had chucked in another inversion, it would barely make it. I know what I'm on about here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBasilisk

You can not lose speed when there is no air resistance?
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

^^^ Haha, I somehow felt (and hoped) you will! ;)

I feel like understanding how things work or why they are the way they are helps making things more realistic. (rather than looking at a picture and mimicking what you see blindlessly, eh China?)
    So air resistance only applies to dive coasters. got it.
    Have you actually seen how low down the MCBR is on the dive? It's probably a lot lower than the likes of most of the real dive machines, allowing for it to still reach it despite the extra track. Also i find it extremely hard to believe air resistance would affect it as much as you are claiming it will. Yes its certainly a factor (im not arguing it isnt), but not as much as you claim. For the case of baron, you have to consider that it wouldnt go nowhere near as fast as a D10 like this, plus it would loose a lot of speed anyway because it would bleed a significant amount of speed by exiting the immelman a fair bit higher than the actual drop is
    Plus the larger 10 row trains are a lot heavier than a D6, meaning that the increased momentum will reduce the effects of air resistance more than on Baron
    @CoasterMac305

Not what I am saying. I am saying that all coasters are affected by air resistance, just due to a dive coaster's large frontal surface area, they are affected much more. Also, @element 115, the momentum thing is true, but only to an extent. Dive coasters are formulaic for a reason.
    Sorry, i didn't know you worked at B&M...
    Going back to what Thomas had said, I would suggest raising the MCBR to get a little more speed in the second half. Again, that is why MCBRs are kind of high on dive coasters, and why there aren't any second inversions before the MCBR.
    But moving it higher would probably make it stall by your logic because of the phantom air resistance. Its fine to say you like/dislike something, but if you try to back it up with illegitimate facts then its a problem
    •  
      CommentAuthorZergei

Let's stop this before it becomes a flame war, please.

-

This coaster looks absolutely fantastic! I adore the attention to detail (I'm very into that myself), and it really adds some life to it! One recommendation I have is that you add a funicular in addition of the right catwalk (has no railing and is skinnier), which would really only apply if this was intended to be 2016 or newer.

If you'd like some shots of more dive coaster details from Valravn, including the storage tracks, electrical boxes, and mechanics on the very top of the coaster, feel free to whisper me and I'll send them to you over Skype or whatever you use as a messenger!

In conclusion, keep going and make this the best you can make it! :D
    On the topic of air resistance, you do realise nl2 simulates it right, if you look in the friction settings there is an air resistance factor.
    Posted By: COASTERGUY246But moving it higher would probably make it stall by your logic because of the phantom air resistance. Its fine to say you like/dislike something, but if you try to back it up with illegitimate facts then its a problem

I'm only saying that the MCBR needs to be higher for better pacing on the 2nd half of the layout, at the sacrifice of the longer first section. More track, more room for air resistance to influence the train's speed.

I can see the logic behind the layout, but I don't think that the ride would be all that fun with a low MCBR.
    ^now that you're saying that, I agree with you... @I305 does the coaster make it all the way to the final brake run after an estop on the MCBR?
    @flyerman You do also realise it drops down below ground level after the MCBR... you can see the terrain alteration on the entire second half
    Posted By: COASTERGUY246@flyerman You do also realise it drops down below ground level after the MCBR... you can see the terrain alteration on the entire second half

Thomas,

Can you not tell that the drop after the MCBR has a base height higher than that of the initial drop of the entire ride? Therefore I can argue that the main drop does the same, although it does not. Infact, all 'troughs' in the track after the MCBR are higher up than those of the first half of the ride.
    • CommentAuthorI305
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2017 edited

Posted By: JetstreamCoasters@I305 does the coaster make it all the way to the final brake run after an estop on the MCBR?

Yes, the coaster actually has plenty of speed throughout the entire ride. The pacing is good, even with an emergency stop on the MCBR. By itself, the ride will almost come to a complete stop on the MCBR, similar to Valravn. The trains glide into the final brake run with plenty of speed as well. There's even some nice floater air on the banked airtime hill.

Posted By: ZergeiThis coaster looks absolutely fantastic! I adore the attention to detail (I'm very into that myself), and it really adds some life to it!

Thank you! It's support like this from the community that inspire me to make my projects even better!
    Can we see footage of the ride?
    • CommentAuthorI305
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2017

^ I was planning on filming a final video once the project is complete. I don't see myself having enough time to film and edit a video before then.
    •  
      CommentAuthorzampano
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2017

Posted By: element 115On the topic of air resistance, you do realise nl2 simulates it right, if you look in the friction settings there is an air resistance factor.

I feel like this needs to be emphasized.
    • CommentAuthorI305
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2017

•  
      CommentAuthorKG9
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2017

Looking awesome! I love the color scheme it's really eye-catching.
    • CommentAuthorI305
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2017

Supports are finally done!

^Just can't get over the new engine. That last pic surely is real...
    NO LOOP CONNECTORS -91783657834526478/10
    •  
      CommentAuthorZergei
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2017

Same thing for the drops, which should look like this.
    Once you get those connectors figured out, you're perfect :D
    I've come up with a pretty consistent way to make accurate B&M loop connectors, and the method works for all types of B&M coasters (except Inverted, still working on that). I could do a tutorial if people are interested.

https://gyazo.com/809d785372c0f7b04246499aef3156a4
    https://gyazo.com/f4b79cf1d4567e81cd5021e930f4707f
    https://gyazo.com/f8021189e872ccec7371c3357d98f5de
    ^YESSSS! YES!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorZergei
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2017

Do it.
    :D
    PLZ
    plz
    • CommentAuthorDelay
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2017

But what about inverts?
    •  
      CommentAuthornolimiters

^Would be pretty easy to figure out now.
    ^^it would be a similar process, except you'd have to use a free node instead of the top connector, that or instead of making the abs -Y value be -3, maybe a positive number? Haven't tried it. I'll go home tonight and experiment :)
    • CommentAuthorI305

Support progress!

The connector has been perfectly aligned with the welding on the track. This is the only one I've completed so far.

Here's an extra view just for fun. :)