Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTheBeatles
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2017 edited

Note: Everything you see is still very much a work in progress, nothing is complete.

Introduction

Hey everyone! Welcome to my newest large-scale project. After Terror Tracks, I wanted to try a longer, light hearted, fast-paced experience (a stark contrast to TT). Rather than keeping you (the riders) guessing about the dangers that lie ahead, I'd really rather just throw you straight into them. Additionally, I wanted to create a concept that wasn't an already existing IP. I wanted to focus on building the world and characters for the experience before creating the ride itself, again, unlike Terror Tracks.

Cherry Bomb

Speaking of characters, allow me to introduce you to our main character, a hero named Cherry Bomb. To describe her personality, it'd be easiest to just say she's a mixture of Wade Wilson (Deadpool), Peter Parker (Spider-man) and Kim Possible. Quippy and entertaining, a general aura of badassery, but ultimately still a normal kid. She has a bit of a skater style, listens to rock music, etc; A bit grungy. Her hero name is a bit over-the-top, and my reasoning behind that is that I think Cherry Bomb sounds almost like a high school band name. Something a kid would come up with and would think sounds cool.

I found a wonderful artist on Twitter (@MooMehMoo) to help design CB's costume, she did a fantastic job of translating my vision into visual artwork, while also adding her own creative flair! Eventually, I intend to create a physical version of this costume, and find an actress to fully portray CB throughout the ride experience.

After the release of Terror Tracks, an awesome gentleman by the name of Rob Yeo (@robjyeo) reached out to me, saying he enjoyed the experience, but my logos were crap. So, he offered to do the logos for my next ride, and I think they turned out wonderfully! He designed the main ride logo at the top of this page, the "Cherry Bomb" logo, and the "CB" logo that you see on her chest. Needless to say I think they turned out wonderfully.

Ride System

Currently, I plan to have the ride use the same ride system as Radiator Springs Racers at California Adventure and Test Track 2.0 at EPCOT. Something that I really want to capitalize on throughout the experience is interaction. To achieve this, I've created the story in such a way that you'll be interacting with another car for the entire story, in unique and interesting ways.

Sequence of Events

Did somebody say unique and interesting interactions? Oh, that's right, I did. Whoops. Below, I've attached an outline of the sequence of events that I want the ride to go through.

I've split the sequence into two tracks, one that introduces you to CB as an introduction, and one that introduces you to the villain as an introduction. Green Zones indicate that the cars are together (riders in both cars can see each other), Yellow Zones indicate forks in the track or limited visibility, and Red Zones indicate total separation from each other.

You'll notice I have a few sections labelled as interaction. Basically, for these areas, I want to have different riders receive the opportunity to "deactivate" these explosive charges using audio/verbal cues from the ride. They could have to push a series of buttons, or hit a target with a blaster, etc. I want to give the riders the option to fail, thus adding *some* stakes. If they succeed in deactivating the charge, the other vehicle might get a radio transmission saying "all clear, head for the next charge!", or something similar. However, even if they fail, it'd be fun to have CB or another character run in and fix the problem in order to push the story along.
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2017

Stretch Goals

This project wouldn't be worth anyone's time if I didn't try anything new. With Terror Tracks, it was my first attempt at a FULL project. From preshow to POV to exterior buildings, I feel it was a 100% complete ride experience. With The [OMITTED] Misadventures of Cherry Bomb, I want to attempt animated screens that you see on Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey (queue), Spider-Man, Transformers, and Fast & Furious: Supercharged. I want to combine practical effects with projections of live actors, so that this whole experience can feel as real as possible. I feel it'll be a challenge to film/integrate actors into this 3D environment, but a fun challenge nonetheless.

What's Next?

Well, I REALLY need feedback, especially on the sequence of events for the ride. CB as a character is more or less set in stone, but the ride sequence is still totally up for grabs, I'll take all the criticism you guys can throw at me! Once we can finalize the sequence of events, I'll start working on the ride layout, designing the locations, etc.

So, lay it on me. What do you all think of the idea?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorganFan
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2017 edited

Looks like quite an undertaking! The logos and character both look fantastic and the ride idea is interesting. It will surely be cool to see it all fleshed out in-game. As for the chain of events, I think the idea of having the two different teams work together is awesome, and I gotta say I love the character and storyline, except for one thing: I don't really get why you have the riders leave the scene right as CB is about to give the villain a good whuppin'. It would be cool if she gave him a taste of his own medicine by having taken some nefarious tool (i.e a stun gun, orb of confusion, etc.) from his garage (I'm sure a Deadpool-like character wouldn't be opposed to lifting a little trinket from a bad guy) and using it on him at the party as a spectacle to the party-goers. It can just be harmless and she could let him go or get arrested. After that, CB could get in her own car and race the riders.
    But other than that, I like it! Can't wait to see progress!
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

Posted By: KingRCT3 on Terror Track But the next time you (or anyone) takle a big project, it would be next level to really have a solid project and a cohesive storyline and plan beforehand, rather than wondering "ok what do I do next" each time. I know it's nearly impossible to acheive, it's utopic... But that's a wish of mine.

WELL WELL WELL, it seems that you did took that route, and I'm litterally nerd-gasming right now!
    Plus, you say that you'll try to have projections of live actors?! Man, you literally read my mind... That can turns out to be epic! In a sense, that's reminds me of Myst, where character were filmed and put into the 3D scenes.

I really like what you got so far. I only have one question regarding the plot: Both teams are against the villain, right? Because it kind of sounds like one is (with) Cherry Bomb, the other is (with) the villain, in a Police vs Thief kind of game. But that doesn't make sense that both team would deactivate the charges...

Anyway, the sequences look good, that's a kind of interactivity I'm interested in! (oh my, I could write a rant about how most interactive dark-rides are dull)
    Are you going to do sketches of the layout, different sections, etc? It's always easier to have a visual support.

Last question, is this a NoLimits2 project or will you be using Unreal?
    the team on the villain's side could always re-activate the charges, while the team on the hero's side de-activates them.
    • CommentAuthorkryptos001

This has the makings to be a great project, but my biggest critique is that the riders are stuck with a "side quest" and run away from the climax. If possible, have the riders help CB fight the villain or at least get to see that action. It would feel like a let down if we do the work of disarming bombs then not get the payoff of seeing a superhero fight
    maybe the superhero fight could be shown after the ride, with the riders exiting the trains and going into two rooms (one for each side), one showing the villain's perspective of the fight, and the other showing the hero's perspective?
    •  
      CommentAuthordapalm

Well, this looks awesome! I also think not watching the fight would be a bit of a letdown, but I feel something like that must be hard to make right. Don't have a lot to say, everything you said sounds good to me. As KingRCT3 said, be sure to sketch everything, it really makes everything easier (And I'm sure everybody would love to see that kind of "behind the scenes" work). Keep it up!
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan

Does anyone else think that this sounds like a Cool5 coaster name?
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2017

Replies

@MorganFan: The main reason I had everyone leave right as the action begins is mostly because I'm limited in both technology and acting talent. It'll be very difficult to incorporate action between two characters in this ride, so as much as it sucks to say it, I'm trying to keep that aspect minimal. I plan to make up for the absence with dialogue gags and other visual effects.

@KingRCT3: Yes, I did take your advice, haha. I felt dissatisfied with the result of Terror Tracks, and in response, I'm trying to one-up myself in every area with Cherry Bomb. You were 100% correct when you said that planning things out beforehand will make the execution easier. It's crazy to say that I've been working on this project for 2 months, and I haven't done ANYTHING in NoLimits until today, which you'll see below.

To clarify on the storylines, yes, BOTH TRACKS are AGAINST the villain. The difference is that during the exposition portion of the ride, one track will have more exposition from Cherry Bomb's side, and the other track will have more exposition from the villain's side.

@kryptos001: See my response to MorganFan above. Additionally, I'm in the process of trying to find ways to carry the action a little bit farther into the outdoor portion of the ride with some visual effects. More to come on that later.

Layout

Below you'll see a schematic of the first revision of the ride's layout. I've gone ahead and labelled some of the more important locations/elements of the ride, however it'd be VERY difficult to label everything for you all to read. I still feel as though you can get a solid idea of the story if you reference the sequence of events in my previous post.

Everything to the left of the black dotted line is exterior (race back to the school), and everything to the right of the black dotted line is interior (bulk of the story).

Also, that long straight section in the outdoor area is a bunny hop, which takes up a lot of space due to the ride system being used here (Think Radiator Springs Racers/Test Track 2.0).

Challenges

I think I'm going to start a trend of listing out the challenges I'm currently seeing, in an effort to hopefully get some advice from you all, if you feel you can help.
    -The outdoor portion of the layout will be difficult to shape, due to both tracks having to constantly remain parallel (banking transitions will be particularly challenging)
    -The block system will be a nightmare to program

Wrap-Up

Well, that's all I have to show for this week. My next steps are to create a mockup for each of the rooms, map out the queue, and write a script for the dialogue.

I know this is probably pretty difficult to follow along with right now, but I feel that once scenery starts popping up, it might be easier for everyone to understand what's happening and how it's happening.
    Is this designed to dual at all, if so how on earth will it work using a single station?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

^The same way radiator springs does, it's one actual coaster but it forks off into two different rides during the indoor section before the "race".
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2017 edited

Posted By: TheBeatlesThe outdoor portion of the layout will be difficult to shape, due to both tracks having to constantly remain parallel (banking transitions will be particularly challenging)
    When you have the NL2 Professional version this should be a very easy job.

Just export the track spline and create manipulated versions of it where the spline positions are offset to the tracks left or right. This can be done with probably any spreadsheet software for example, just add the values of the LeftX, LeftY, LeftZ columns multiplied by a factor (>0 for distance to the left, <0 for distance to the right) to the PosX, PosY, PosZ values - reimport the new splines - done!

With this method it would be probably the best to just shape a center dummy track and then import the actual parallel tracks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

^You can also accomplish this similar idea by making a reference spine in sketchup and building over it in NL2.
    ^ and ^^ or just rotate the whole coaster and work on it in a side view, save the element and then import it. Easy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

Can't you work with custom heartline values?
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2017 edited

Replies

First off, I really appreciate you all pitching in to offer advice! I didn't think I'd get that much of a response from the "challenges" section. Let's keep the positive attitude going!

@element115: Mrcrolly is correct. This ride system takes many cues from Radiator Springs Racers and Test Track 2.0, including the "dueling but also one single track" mentality.
    @bestdani, @Mrcrolly, @TheDarkStar, @KingRCT3: I took all of your advice into account, and completed the track (seen below)!

Update

To get the track layout completed, I took bestdani's advice by first setting up a "control" track that dictates the layout (blue). I then took this coaster and copied it twice (using the "import coaster" feature), and adjusted the heartlines of these two new copies (white) to fit the position of the dark ride tracks.

I then exported the splines of both of the white tracks (along the center of rails), allowing me to re-import them into NoLimits and attach them to the dark ride portion, giving me one single, completed layout! A few of you (nobody) will notice that the layout for the exterior has changed since the last update. This is to make things slightly more interesting, and to allow the vehicles to travel faster than before.

Additionally, I've gone and added an ADA loading platform to the ride, once again taking notes from Radiator Springs Racers. The ADA loading platforms are labelled as storage sections, so the switches don't try and send normal vehicles into this area, however it can still be accessed with manual controls (just like IRL).

Lastly, I'll leave you with this, a quick video showing off a little preview of the exterior section :D

I know it doesn't seem like much, but I'm getting so stoked to start making this project a realty! Every little step is making me more and more excited to progress with the project.

Challenges

These block sections are going to be a real pain in the ass. I know exactly how I want everything to work, but after a few trials, I don't think it's possible without scripting. I've reached out to bestdani for help in this regard, however if anyone feels they can help out, let me know and I can give you the specifics of how everything is going to play out!

Until next time, see you later!
    ^ What does "ADA" stand for?
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2017 edited

^ It stands for "Americans with Disabilities". In the US you have the ADA Standards which are to make most if not any public spaces accessible for disabled persons. A ride isn't really a public space, but Disney goes the extra mile by offering on some of their attractions an extra loading plateform for people with disabilities (as they require more time to load, and assistance).
    ^ I know what you mean, as I'm disabled myself.
    • CommentAuthorA113
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2017

ada and accessibility goes beyond public spaces, it's part of building code

•  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

Oh ok, actually as I'm not american myself I have no real insights about how it works over there. I just think saying "ADA compliant" sounds cool, hehe.
    ^ Neither am i, but it sounds interesting.
    • CommentAuthorkryptos001

I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for, but have you considered the script generator? It is really helpful if you do not want to learn to script. If you are brave enough (or foolish enough, in my case) to try and learn scripting, I would recommend looking at the code in "Script Park," as it is more organized and is easier to see how everything is connected.
    Wow. This is going to be an awesome project to follow. Given your previous projects, I have no doubt this one will turn out amazing. Keep up the good work, I look forward to the next update!
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2017

Well well well, look what we've got here! This is one hell of an ambitious project to pull of. To start, I think you are doing the right thing by drawing and thinking out the lay-out of the ride. Story driven rides with this amound of detail are very hard to pull of without thinking them through from start to finish. Have you tried to calculate the capacity of the ride and tried to see what impact it would have on the scenes? I've made the error with Project Potter in the beginning that my cars were in the same room due to to high dispatch times, but since I prommised myself a capacity of above 2000 p/ph I had to make some changes to some scenes so the cars wouldn't see eachother.

I love the idea of the interactive part. Altough I'm not sure how you're going to pull it of in NL. Same for the screens, lucky you have the connections and recources to make it work, so I can't wait to see how you do it.

One more thing, what 3d model program do you use? I've been wondering that since Terror Tracks.
    • CommentAuthorBullero

It looks very good so far! Keep us updated

I am not sure the script generator will be a solution here. The generated script needs to be attached to your coaster = all vehicles. It might be possible to alter the path of even numbered trains from uneven numbered trains though
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2017 edited

Replies

Thank you for the kind words everyone!

@Zingo: In each of my rides, there are three constraints that I allow myself to ignore:
    1) Space
    2) Cost
    3) Capacity

While I understand that these are very real factors in EVERY real-life project, I personally choose to avoid making them priorities. This, to me, is one of the luxuries of working in a simulation software as opposed to a real life scenario. I also feel like omitting these factors does NOT affect how enjoyable the simulation is. However, I am constantly taking sightlines into account, which I will explain more in the update.

Also, I use Sketchup for all of my modeling in NoLimits.

Update

To kick off this update, I want to first address the block system issue. Bestdani has gotten back to me, and we are currently exploring various options to try and make this work. Currently, it's my understanding that bestdani feels a custom blockscript (from scratch) will be the most effective way to program the ride, however this will mean bypassing NoLimit's in-game manual controls, meaning things like manual mode, e-stop, etc will not work. Bestdani has a much better understanding of this idea than I do, so more on that will come soon.

Additionally, Bullero has been generously giving me quite a lot of advice on how to go about the design process. One of his most prominent suggestions was to first create very basic models of all of my scenery, so that I can get a full understanding of my sightlines and scenery placement BEFORE putting a ton of detail into each piece and running into issues that are harder to fix. Putting that into practice, I've started creating "paper" walls for each of my rooms.

Almost everything you see in this first image will be indoors, however there will be several "fake" outdoor sections (scenes made to look like the outdoors while still being enclosed). This is why you see so many 2D trees. Each of the rooms you see will be enclosed buildings within the main darkride building.

The only part of the ride that will actually be outdoors is the racing portion, pictured here:

Also, thanks to Bullero's advice I've gained access to my school's VR room, which allows me to use NoLimits on an HTC Vive on a SUPER powerful PC. I will be using this to do several VR ride-throughs of Cherry Bomb with the "draft scenery" I've begun working on (shown above). I imagine this will help all of the scenery to be significantly more concise and well-placed than my previous projects.

Wrap-Up

KingRCT3, you were correct, pre-planning is DEFINITELY the way to go. Taking the time to plan this ride out BEFORE just jumping straight into NoLimits has helped out a ton, and I'm really glad I did it. I'm beyond excited to continue working on this ride, and more importantly, share that progress with you all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorzampano

Looks and sounds very cool and interesting, I'm really looking forward for more.
    While I can understand ignoring space and cost constraints and do so myself most of the time (okay, always ;D) I think capacity should always be considered in a good design. Maybe not as a top priority, but it's quite a big aspect of realism for me, especiall since it's usually not extremely limiting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2017 edited

^^ In before you start putting balloons at your campus.
    You really put yourself at ease with the VR room, wow. A true DISH system for you tu use! ;)

I'm still a bit confused how the vehicles will behave, because as I understand it they'll be dispatched 2 by 2, but what happens when the track merges again in the dark-ride section? Do they closely follow each other?

I bet the trees are placeholders, but even this early on, beware of the scale. Dark-ride scenes are usually never 1/1, but smaller. So maybe consider make them smaller. Well, anyway I trust you and bet you already have plans I'm not aware of, so just keep rolling, everything you do is perfect and way beyond any NoLimits projects ever went. A VR room, I still can't get my head around that, haha!
    • CommentAuthorBullero
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2017

^ it is interesting to see that VR technology is used professionally by a lot of companies, just to test how things feel. I talked to an architect firm last week that uses VR to give clients a real feel of the dimensions of the building. Very cool stuff!
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2017 edited

Replies

@KingRCT3:The rides will almost always be going different speeds, however there is one point (after the first warehouse scene) where I plan for the cars to follow each other closely (similar to how these rides do when going to their seatbelt check) into the town. Additionally, I've fixed my tree scaling, and yes, EVERYTHING you see is a placeholder.

Update

The diorama for the main dark ride section is just about finished! As I mentioned above, EVERYTHING you see here is a placeholder. This model is to give me a solid idea of what the larger scenery pieces will look like, how they will fit together, and what sightlines will look like during key portions of the layout.

In the foreground of the image below, you can see the first portion I've made of the queue, which will be a feaux "outdoor" segment, allowing guests to walk around outside of the main high school (where the queue will be), and see a bit of the ride's opening/seatbelt check as they get ready to board.

Once again, everything you see in this diorama will be indoors, despite there being several fake outdoor segments. On that same topic, I'm playing with the idea of having a painted/projected sky over the entire indoor portion of the ride, to help the world seem a bit more believable, and to not have a solid black ceiling with show lights (the Disney way).

Lastly, you can see here that I'm also planning out where the projection screens will be, using the red/green blocks as placeholders for where my characters will be.

Wrap-Up

I think this goes without saying, but again, EVERYTHING you see here is still very primitive, just trying to get a feel for the visuals. This entire model will be redone from the ground up in higher detail when the time comes. I still have to do some more VR ridethroughs, but I'm getting close to something I'm happy with.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2017 edited

Posted By: TheBeatlesand see a bit of the ride's opening/seatbelt check as they get ready to board.

Did you get the idea from John Wardley? He said he liked to design his queues with a portion where you could see the station, so guests could see how to board the ride and thus making operations faster and less stressful for them.

Posted By: TheBeatlesOn that same topic, I'm playing with the idea of having a painted/projected sky over the entire indoor portion of the ride, to help the world seem a bit more believable, and to not have a solid black ceiling with show lights (the Disney way).

That's quite a bold statement. If even Disney and Universal still have troubles with ceilings, that's because it must be difficult to theme them.
    Wherever it's due to construction constraints, or equipements such as HVAC, lights, catwalks, fire shenanigans (In Ratatouille at DLP, Imagineers had to put a fire sprinkler on the oversized ham in the fridge scene, because it was so big it was legally considered as a ceiling)... there's a ton of things you can't do with a ceiling.

But having a themed ceiling in a dark-ride is definitely possible. Think about the grotto scenes in POTC, or even the underwater scene in POTC Shanghai. The later has a blank ceiling where you could possibly consider putting projections.

Albeit, outdoor scenes in dark-rides are usually tough. Because outdoor means sun, but in a dark-ride you don't have that overall lighting. And as a guest you can feel that something is wrong. Hence why most dark-ride set their stories during night-time. This way, you can have a more shallow moonlight, and then man-made sources of light (lamposts, torches, etc). It also helps making dark spots less obnoxious to the eye. For instance, Ratatouille is the worst exemple: the scenes on the screens (the cuisine) are shot with a very bright light, so the environment they want you to be immersed in is very bright. But if you slightly oh so slightly turn your head... everything is dark and black. Well, even you are in darkness. This feels wrong. On that topic (and many more), Spiderman at IOA is done way better, becasue it occurs during the night (sunset/sunlight is cool too).
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2017

Replies

@KingRCT3: I assure you, I didn't get any ideas from John Wardley. Regarding the ceiling, I'm not sure what I'm doing just yet. I don't know anything about fire standards, air conditioning units, or evacuation paths. I'm currently planning on avoiding those concepts entirely, because it seems like an unnecessary headache for a fictional ride. Again, not 100% sure on that, though. I might just make a black ceiling with show lights and catwalks and stuff. I just want this to be good

Update

Well, I'm on spring break, and that can only mean one thing: more time for NoLimits! I spent my first day working on the 2nd draft of Cherry Bomb's scenery. This will be the "final" version of the model, but that doesn't mean it's finished or anything, I just mean it's not like my shitty diorama from before. I'll be building onto this and adding more details as the project continues, this is just what I did today.

What you see below is where the ride begins, and where the seatbelt check is.

Under the awning and throughout the curly concrete will be the queue.

Expect many more updates over the next week, and be sure to drop criticism! I need all the help I can get.
    Very interesting project you have here. I'm more impressed though by your design process. Developing a methodology for designing and planning ambitious projects aids greatly and overtime, improves workflow as you learn about your own strengths and weaknesses and how to tackle them better. Oh and clever attempt at a forced perspective gag for the end of the long stretch of roadway.
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2017 edited

Replies

@andreizsmart:Thanks for the kind words! Most of the planning process I owe entirely to Bullero, his idea to make the diorama first has helped me a lot!

Update

This week, I've nearly finished the "exterior" (but still enclosed in the ride building) of the high school.

I still have to add more details, such as banners for the school, posters for the open house event (part of the story), and other various nick-nacks. Can you guys think of anything cool to add?

The logo you see painted on the cinder block wall will definitely end up looking more "painted", however I'm holding off on doing that. The artwork for the raccoon isn't mine, but once I have a new logo I'll fix the texture. Additionally, this is where the seatbelt check will be, I still have to add the operations panel, though. Does anyone have any good pictures of the panels at the seatbelt check of Radiator Springs or Test Track?

Also, I'm guessing you guys noticed the dummy ride vehicles! If not, check them out!

https://gyazo.com/49e642cf68d6e74aac41385e88b44926

These models were created for me by MrCrolly to be used for testing! The cars will eventually be reworked (and textured, of course), but for testing, these are more than perfect! Thanks, Chris!

Stay tuned for more updates!
    •  
      CommentAuthornolimiters
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2017

The cars look great!
    But I would place them a little bit back, I mean the cars are drifting to much at the front.
    Holy Cow! I wish I had your talent. This looks awesome and it not even done yet.
    Super quick mini-update, work on the next scene of the ride, a seaside cannery, has started! This area will have quite a few details, just given the architecture I'm shooting for. This is just a preview, more to come soon!

Very effective texturing! Love it. I agree about the front of the cars drifting a bit too much tho
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2017

Back with another mini-update, I'm testing out some lighting techniques. Everything is a bit too dark right now, I think I'm going to try and add some more lights in a few areas to brighten things up. As it is, the light coming off of the sunset overpowers just about everything else, which isn't too good. Additionally, you'll see that I created a ceiling, which is still under construction of course. More details are slowly being added to the buildings in this area, and hopefully it'll be done soon so we can move on to the next part of the ride!

What do you guys think?
    • CommentAuthorBullero
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2017 edited

It looks absolutely brilliant so far Joseph!

If the sunset is a time indicator in the storyline, it might not be a problem that it is quite powerful. You would also expect the cannery to be more influenced with light from the sunset, as you are now coming from an outside room that is completely dark to an outside room where the sun is setting quite intensely. The light of the sunset is exposing quite a bit of ceiling though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2017

The sun is quite big, isn't it?

As for the lights, maybe you could try messing with gobos to have more interesting patterns (light through trees, shadows of other buildings, water reflection, ect.). And don't forget to highlight the important parts (here, the YEO CANNERY would benefit from a white light cut I think).
    Last thing, always ask yourself "why this light and where would it come from in real life". For instance your blue and green lights are quite pretty, but I don't feel like they make sense. Maybe you can prove me wrong, tho.

Anyway, for actual lighting advices, Grrt made a cool tutorial on Shyguy's World, and I guess you can reach him for your project.
    Hey everyboldy, Silverware here.

NL2 Update

I've been cranking out the downtown/main street portion of the ride, which serves as a bit of a transitional area between key scenes for both tracks. Lighting is still killing me, and I really wish NL2 would display the lights at full volume in the editor, as opposed to having to go into the simulator just to see what your light actually looks like.

Obviously, there's still lots of details to be added to the buildings, and even more buildings entirely to be inserted into the scene. It's slow, but things are shaping up and this is starting to actually look like a ride.

Additionally, I created a large, cave-like rock structure to help separate the beach/sunset scene from the rest of the ride, seen here:

Don't mind the big white board, that will turn into a billboard once I find the time to create a texture for it. I really wish I could be putting more time into this, but school has been taking over all my time.

Project Update

In other news, I've found an actress to take on the role of Cherry Bomb! She goes to my university, and I feel like she has the potential to really capture the personality I have in mind for Chelsea. Which reminds me, who's Chelsea, you ask? That's Cherry Bomb's actual name, Chelsea Cane. I'm talking to a number of different people to help make the costume, which is definitely going to be a challenge. Luckily, there are several pieces (the black leggings, jacket, and T-shirt) that are easy to purchase on their own, but the boots, arm bands and wig are going to be tough. I'm talking to one of my friends who works at a costume shop to see if she could help with the boots and arm bands, and someone I went to high school with claims she knows quite a lot about wigging, so we'll see where that goes.

Next up on the list is writing a script, then filming the projections for the ride once school is out (late May, early June). I'm still not sure whether the main villain will be an actor, or if that'll end up just being me (I'm leaning towards the latter), but we'll just have to wait and see.

Hopefully we can get through this project without a $1200 Kickstarter!

With all that said, how am I doing so far?
    F*ckin amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2017 edited

I'm really REALLY impressed with this project so far, it's already beginning to surpass Terror Tracks in my honest opinion. As for critiques? I only have one.

My only critique is that, throughout the entire ride, I can't help but notice the very obvious transitions between walls and ceilings. While I won't be too harsh on the main street scene (as it's still WIP I assume) the beach scene does kind of bug me in this regard, why would the sky suddenly transition into blackness like that? I think, if you really wanted to pull it off, you'd extend the back wall to wrap upwards and cover the ceiling atleast enough where it isn't as obvious (almost like a dome), then possibly have a nicer fade to black? Rather than the noticeable line difference. A lot of Disney rides, POTC for example, use Gobos and projections on the ceiling as a way to try and blend it in and make it seem like a night sky, and I could see this being a good possibility rather than a blank ceiling like it is now. Along with this, it's not even the fact that it's dark up there that bothers me, it's just the noticeable transition. Maybe if you made it more like a fade (as I mentioned with the beach scene) it'd look WAY nicer, and much more realistic in a way.

Onto the good stuff, I'm absolutely in love with how you pulled off that beach scene. Especially with the rockwork, it feels VERY natural to see it sort of blend out like that, and I'm saying this as in actual Disney quality. It doesn't feel cheap whatsoever, and really fits overall. Aside for this, for both the main street and the beach, I love the modeling work and design choices that went into the buildings and scenery. It seems like you had a very clear idea of what you wanted, and lunged at it. Not in one bit does it feel randomly thrown together, and I could actually see both scenes existing in real life, either in ride form or in a real life sense. All in all, you're doing an amazing job so far, and I'm super excited to see more.

I'm also really excited to see how you pull off screens and what not for a ride like this, having a realistic jump between practical effects and screens is something that's very hard to accomplish, both in real life and in NL2. I'm super curious to see how you pull that off, and hopefully the girl you hired is a great actor because that'll be something that totally changes the feel of the ride from mediocre to professional. Good luck!
    • CommentAuthorPopFilms
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2017

Is this going to have a preshow/loading/safety video?
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2017

Replies

@MrCrolly: I really appreciate all of the feedback, that's a huge help! I'll plan on adding a gradient to black on all of my skies just so it's not a jarring striaght line.
    @PopFilms: There will most certainly be a preshow video. Right now, I imagine it being on a projector in one of the classrooms in the high school. Two computer science students will explain the CS club's self-driving car technology, and describe the "tour" you'll be going on in their vehicles.

Update

Finals are over, and it's summer vacation. You know what that means; time to work on NoLimits projects! Here's an overview of the project so far:

Currently, I'm working on the exterior of the ride, which is a nice beach scene. The white buildings you see are just placeholders for the showbuilding, and will eventually become more fleshed out.

While I'm not 100% sure what I'm going to do to cover the showbuilding (rocky cliffs, towns buildings, etc?) I do know that a large portion of one side will be the exterior of the high school, which will be where guests enter the queue and start their ride experience. But before that, I'm working on figuring out what the general exterior will look like, working on a lot of the larger details such as bridges, railings, and basic foliage.

Wrap-Up

It's great to be back to working on this project full steam ahead! What do you all think of the exterior so far?
    •  
      CommentAuthornolimiters
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2017

I love the exterior part! Looking very good already. Really like the bridges, gates, the walls and the rocks.
    Do you build in one large sketchup file or many little ones?