Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2017

Am i the only one who thinks of a slot car track when i see these new pics? Especially the overhead shot.. I like the bridge made out of supports.
    Looking good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2017 edited

That's the whole basic concept of this type of attraction, to look like slot car track.
    • CommentAuthorBullero
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2017

The exterior looks great so far! There is a lot of potential to wrap the queue around the outside area of the ride, providing guests in the queue with some excellent views of the ride. Can't wait to see this evolve!

• CommentAuthorMrRC
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2017

Jaw dropping awesome .

Wow much progress has been made since last update.
    • CommentAuthorTheBeatles
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2017 edited

Hiatus

Hey everyone, long time no talk. Due to classes, moving, and everything else life has thrown at me lately, I haven't had much time at all for free time projects like Cherry Bomb. I still try and work on it whenever I can, even though it's usually just for a few minutes here and there in between classes or something. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like things are going to get any less busy anytime soon, so don't expect progress to speed up in the coming months. But with all that said, let's check out the progress.

Update

First off, and most notably, we now have completed ride vehicles, thanks to TheCodeMaster!

And get this, they even have properly turning wheels!

Video here: https://i.gyazo.com/5866e1468262d50ee57596193de0265a.mp4

Keep in mind they're supposed to be beaters, donated to the high school's computer science department. Now, the CS students have implemented self-driving technology into the cars, and are holding an open house at the school so the general public can come check it out. That's the basis for the ride itself.

Zooming out a little bit, we can take a look at the first half of the exterior facade, themed to a seaside harbor. You can see that while most of the basic geometry is finished, I still have to add more details to the facades of the buildings such as signage, windows, and air vents.

Wait, is that a flame thrower?

It is!

As some of you may remember, in the early stages of the ride, I wasn't sure how I was going to display the climax of the ride to the riders, so I decided it would be best to have practical effects instead of watching to projected characters fight. Basically, the villain has planted a few detonation charges around the city, and while riders will have defused two of the detonations at an earlier period in the ride, they missed two of them, one of which is visible in the pictures above.

Wrap-Up

Next on the to-do list is the other half of the exterior, which will be the high school where riders will enter the queue. I envision the queue entering through the gym/locker rooms, and then entering a preshow room inside one of the classrooms. Here, a video (made by the students) will welcome riders to the open house, and explain where their self-driving car tour will take them.

Until next time, my friends! What do you like? What do you hate? What changes can I make?
    ^ WOW.
    Do the car doors open, and will the cars actually be rideable (with a seat camera)?
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2017

This is shaping up really great!

About the cars, that is definitely an interesting take. Why not, that's original, but I think you should add details to clearly show that CS students have implemented the self-driving technology. I don't know, like a crooked handcrafted antenna on the back, or a funky "path-finder" made with wire fingers on the front. At the moment it's a little bit too serious for the general tone of the ride. I know it's still work in progress, and Code did a tremendous job!

Practical effects are awesome. Althought it's a bit weird that this one, the flame-thrower, will be visible from offride... going off every 30 seconds. It's a bit spoiled for a climax.
    Otherwise, the flame-thrower is nice - yet it doesn't really picture an explosion (or it's quite the lazy way to do it #sixflags). I think having a slightly more elaborate effect would be neat. Nothing really complicated, but maybe three flame-throwers (a downscaled version of that) and a water blast from the rear of the boat.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZergei
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2017

Looks great! The only things I would like Patrick to add are faux door handles, hood, trunk, and perhaps a bumper or door sticker in addition to King's suggestion to suggest it being owned by the school. And I would also suggest changing the road/concrete textures to be slightly more realistic. Keep up the progress as well as you can!
    Brilliant work thus far. Im glad you're continuing this project. While the story is a little haphazard, the environments youve created are very well done and exciting. Definitely a lot of work and time put into it and it shows. The exterior is fairly well executed especially the far right hand side with the bridge and lighthouse. A lot of exciting visual elements packed together but not overdone in anyway. You have your visual beats in place that draw guests attention from left to right starting with the main facade structure, then the boat and flame effect, then the bridge and lastly the lighthouse.
    • CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2017

That body of water totally needs a shark in it.
    Other than that, everything's looking really good.
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2017 edited

Replies

@construction2018fan: The doors will not open (the real rides don't do this either), but yes, the vehicles will definitely be rideable!
    @KingRCT3: Adding more details is a good idea, a few others have suggested that to me as well. We'll see how things turn out. I definitely agree, though. I like the water blast idea too, I might do that.
    @Zergei: That bumper sticker idea is a good one.
    @andreizsmart: Thank you! Hopefully as work continues everything just gets better! I'm confident that everything will come together in the end, and the story/tone will make sense to outsiders.
    @Womp83: No :p

Poster

On this day last year, I got an email from Kickstarter telling me that you guys had successfully funded my campaign for The Twilight Zone: Terror Tracks, allowing me to hire the incredible voice talent of Mark Silverman for the project. Once that project wrapped in December 2016, I immediately began brainstorming for my next ride, an idea that I could truly call my own with an original character and story.

This amazing poster was designed by Rob Yeo Design (@robjyeo on Twitter), using the Cherry Bomb character design by @MooMehMoo on Twitter. The goal was to recreate the visuals of classic Disneyland ride posters, giving guests an idea of what to expect from the attraction, and Rob absolutely nailed it!

Update

Thanks to Joshua Velez (of NL2 Advanced), the ride now has a fully functioning block system! The ride can finally run perfectly on its own! Also, I've started working on the second half of the exterior, the main high school.

Guests will enter the queue over here (the red, blue, and yellow rectangles are the queue, ignore those), before entering the locker room.

The entrance to the locker room.

From the locker room, guests will enter a classroom with a preshow in it, before coming back outside from a brief moment and heading into the main building for the last bit of queue (indoor) before boarding.

Wrap-Up

That's about all I'm willing to show this time, but more will come soon whenever life allows me to! See you all soon, and as always, let me know your thoughts!
    • CommentAuthorPopFilms
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2017

Fun fact: There is a real Mountain View High School in Rumford, Maine. I know this because my dad went there lol.
    • CommentAuthorMr. E
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2017

^There is also one in the California Bay Area which is probably closer.
    Man I love that poster. (And of course I love the project. That goes without saying ;) )
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2017

Looks very good as always. I love the look of the poster. It fits the ride really really well.

About the explosion, I agree with King that adding a few extra 'effects' to it may help making it more believable. I do however also think it's fine to keep it where it is. I don't think that before the ride the people will make the connection between the explosion and the story and once they are in they probably forgot all about it. The facade in fron of the ride, is is going to be used for something? A walk, restaurant, exit or perhaps the queue? Quite curious about that since it's a lovely area. One thing about the rocks though, might it be worth it to model them yourself? The lose rocks look kinda weird te me, they miss cohesion. I tihnk that having the rocks connected will work a bit better. Than again, it can be quite a bit of work.
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2017 edited

Replies

@PopFilms & Mr. E: I figured there would be, but any association is purely by mistake. I grew up in a subsection of my hometown called Mountain View, and my high school was abbreviated MVHS (not Mountain View), so I took the best of both to make this school name.
    @CoolioJoe100: Thanks dude! I contracted the same artist to do a Terror Tracks poster for me, expect more work from him soon! If you want to see more of his work, check out his website/portfolio http://www.robyeodesign.com/, he's got some really cool stuff there!
    @Zingo: The facade you're referring to won't be used for much, but there will be a restaurant in it, shown below. The rest of the facade is built right up against the show building, and has little to no depth to it, and no reasonable access points to allow guest traffic. I agree though, that would be cute. Damn, how I wish NL2 had guests. It'd go such a long way in making rides like this feel truly alive. As for the rocks, I agree, I'd like to create the rocks and terrain by myself to really nail the California coast look I'm going for, but I'm nowhere near skilled enough to do so.

Update

I feel like I say this every time, but it remains true. As usual, progress continues slowly as there are many things in my life right now that simply have to come before NL2. That said, we've got a few new team members! In addition to TheCodeMaster (ride vehicles), Joshua Velez (control system), Rob Yeo (artist), and @MooMehMoo (artist), I've recently brought on a friend of mine from school, Sarah, to take over the writing of the story and script, as well as directing and casting of the actors (she's fucking fantastic at it, so this is definitely for the better) We're both on the same page as to what we want this project to be, she's just far better at putting that on paper than I am. Additionally, I've brought on RCW (Bryce Boggs) to help me on the modeling end, by helping to create base models for the final rooms of the dark ride portion. More on that in a second.

So what's new? First off, I've been working on the environment most recently. In the picture below, you'll see that I've changed the skybox, added some background mountains, and I've begun redoing the foliage for the exterior from the ground up (as plants usually grow...) because I hated it before.

Moving inside, I've been working on a couple more scenes, such as this one with a cute little waterfall.

Also since we're talking about show scenes, there's a lot going on inside. Entire scenes are being reworked to better follow my initial vision, and other scenes are nearly complete. Meanwhile, you can see at the top right of the image below the area that RCW (Bryce Boggs) is helping me out with.

Additionally, work on the queue has begun. Guests enter from the exterior into the locker room, where they will zig-zag into the main hallways of the school before heading into a classroom, where the preshow will be playing on a projector.

Locker Room:

Main Hallways:

Classroom (Preshow): This room is far from complete, and I'm open to suggestions as to what you guys think I should do with it. Also, I should note that the computers shown are from the Sketchup Warehouse, but those are only there as a placeholder until I figure out what exactly this room will be before I go back and remodel everything.

To close things off, here's a couple more images of the outside with the new environment.

Wrap-Up

Well that turned out being a lot longer than I expected. I usually only get to work on this for 10-20 minutes at a time whenever I'm not drowning in studying, but I guess that causes me to overlook just how much progress can come from those little increments. Unfortunately, even over this winter break, I think that this is how this project will continue, which is partly why I'm bringing on new people to help out. Not only will it make the end result far better than if I were working alone, but it will also help this project get finished before the next millennium.

As always, let me know what you think! What would you add? What would you change? How would you fix it? What looks good?
    • CommentAuthorPopFilms
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2017

Everything looks FANTASTIC!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrBassdirt
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2017

I try not to comment for the sake of commenting (like without any input) but since I haven't commented on this yet...

Yumm yum yum this is stunning. The lighting, the shadows, the textures. Everything is so crunchy and crisp and feels like a totally realistic installation at a theme park. That scene with the waterfall screams Disney. Just make sure to fill the locker-room with an overpowering aroma of axe body spray HAH.

I don't know what your target location is, but if it's like Socal beach town, the new skybox nails it.

My one critique? Mountain View High School is where I did my SAT prep classes so that's obviously got to go. /s
    • CommentAuthorMr. E

Okay wow this looks good. I know I've said it before but this is stunning work. As MrBassdirt said above the lighting looks great and I can't find anything to nit pick here so props for that.

Side Note: Mountain View High school is down the street from me. Interesting to hear there are other bay area folks here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

Wow, I don't think I realized the full scale of this project until now. Especially the queue line!

I like the preshow room idea - do guest will fill the room, or only stay at the back of it?
    Honestly, With every update you blow me away even more!